The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Random Chat, Thoughts, Posts, and/or Rants Thread

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Today I called GEICO to cancel my car insurance because I moved over to Allstate which saved me $800 a year. To my surprise the GEICO agent said that he would be able to match the Allstate rate.

So are insurance companies like cable companies now, you threaten to quit and they will give you a lower rate?

When I asked the guy, he said that he has more "quote options" available to him since he's in retention vs. a regular quote agent.

That just happened to me, I was with Liberty Mutual for 7 years and they sent me a renewal that struck me as substantially high, especially since I had no claims in all 7 years. I shopped around and sure enough, I was able to save about 25% going to Allstate, plus I got an umbrella policy with it. When I cancelled Liberty, the agent said, "Oh, we can beat that quote" -- I told him to pound sand, the time to "beat the quote" was BEFORE sending me an outrageous renewal price, and then hoping I won't notice.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was onsite in a large insurance broker tinkering with their Google Ads campaigns. The only free desk was amongst the call centre. The girl sat next to me took an inbound call of someone trying to get their car insurance quote down. "Let me speak to a manager and get back to you" she said. I watched out of the corner of my eye while she put them on hold, looked at her nails for about 30 seconds, then came back on to cheerily tell them they're in luck and she could drop their quote a bit.

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
It's a three day weekend where I am, and of course people are salivating over it. Heck, someone in my office even waved his arms in the air expressing his excitement. How can they not see the reality that they're not celebrating an extra day off, but they're actually celebrating an extra day of freedom granted, is something I will never get.

But great news for me. My girlfriend has gone away for the weekend. Why is that great? That means no distractions and no excuses. I literally have no reason to achieve want I want to this weekend. If I don't, then the only reason is because of me and me alone.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
Anybody else a sucker for lemonade stands? Yes it’s straight sugar and overpriced and blah blah blah but I cannot see one and not support the young entrepreneur who sets it up.

This young lady yesterday took it to a new level though. Individual bottles, packaging and a web page! Awesome to see this out of a 9 year old.

CanyonYum

Insidious

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 3, 2019
Asheville, NC
Friday night! TGIF! Sat at home working. Anyone else?

=)

A Slowlane friend said 'Let's do lunch after Memorial Day'.. I had no idea when he meant.

"Thank God It's Friday!" has become "Thank God It's.. a day ending in 'Y'".

I generally have no idea what day of the week it is. The only thing that will clue me in are traffic changes on the weekend.

i.e. When you're on the path, every day is A DAY. You're looking forward to things you've planned, not a 'holiday' dictated by third parties.

Last edited:

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Was making documents for a car today at car police office (one per region, so a lot of people there) and had to pay around $20 government fee.
There was only one bank there that took $2 commission for that payment, which is 10%.
Usually, local banks charge 0.5-1% or 0.12-0.25$ fixed commissions here, so they're definitely making a lot of money by being the only one in a place where many people (383 today) are forced to make payments quickly and have a paper check for that.

Wondering if it still a good strategy long term, cause now I an anchor/note "This bank is ripping people off, stay away from it" and it would be one of the last in the list if I would actually have a choice.

P. S. Another bank was doing the same thing near an Embassy where people had to pay the Visa fees.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014

Today marked my 30 days of walking 10.000 steps every day. A big step up for someone who's used to sit in front of a computer 8-12 hours per day, with some days walking less than 500 steps.

It's funny how motivating sunny weather and a push message with the text "Congratulations with your 10.000 steps today" can do.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The GF is a pre-op nurse... when you have surgery you're not supposed to drink water before the operation.

Before admitting the patient, you ask them to confirm they didn't drink water prior to the procedure. It's purely for safety reasons as drinking water prior to the operation could cause a life-threatening reaction.

This actually happened:

Nurse: When was the last time you drank water? (Answer needs to be greater than 12 hours)
Patient: Two months ago.
Nurse: Two months ago? I don't understand.
Patient: Yes, about two months ago.
Nurse: So you aren't human and don't need water to live?
Patient: No, I just don't drink water. I drink Diet Coke.

Only in America...

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

splok

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 20, 2012
Entrepreneurs!?! What kind of solution could solve this problem?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3ViHPnxuk8
I don't know anything about cranes, but I assume they've got this problem solved. When I search for pics of bigass cranes, they almost all have multiple cables in play with some distance between them. I'm sure there's a few reasons for that, but if you're using two cables with multiple feet in between them, it's going to take much more force to start a spin than if you only had 1.

Consider this. If I'm suspended from a single rope, how much force would it take to spin me? You could do it with a single finger or even a breeze. What if I were in a porch swing instead?

It would take some serious work and probably two people. Of course, the longer the suspension, the easier it gets, but there's probably a reasonable ratio of distance between contacts, max suspension length, and expected wind.

I would guess that a contact at the head and foot of the rescue harness along with a pulley system on the skids of the helicopter that kept the leads a similar distance apart would prevent most similar problems. If not, even a manually tensioned lead from the other side of the copter would probably work.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
If I'm suspended from a single rope, how much force would it take to spin me? You could do it with a single finger or even a breeze.

I'm not an engineer but I think you're headed in the right direction.

The solution would probably be designing a new kind of rope with very high resistance to twisting.

I'm sure there is formal fancy terms for all this in physics but who knows.

Maybe a rope that is a made of metal? Maybe some kind of coating?

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
From the looks of it, I'd say that its spinning on a metal connection and not a rope being twisted. It must be something specific to that rescue since they use this type of extraction all the time and I doubt they would use this method if that was a regular occurrence.

Quick google and it appears that they do have a second line that they use to try and keep the gurney from spinning.

I'd say maybe pull out wings/floor on either side of the helicopter to deflect the down draft from blowing down to the gurney.

Or even a tube that collapses open down from the helicopter around the gurney as it gets a certain distance close to the helicopter.

To keep from twisting think would need something like a motorcycle chain going down at four points on the gurney.

Looks like something people would pay to do, along the lines of sky diving, bungee jumping.

Another thought maybe a half dome sphere that goes drops down just over the gurney, so the ball would spin and deflect the airflow while the gurney remains unaffected.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
The spinning was due to the rotors on the helicopter. So to me, the first solution I’d think of was a few air fins in the stretcher going in the opposite direction to help channel the air differently.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Multiple ropes on cranes are used to create a pulley - this lets you lift a much greater weight with the same distance arm on the crane, than a single rope.

That's might be hard to do on a helicopter because weight of the steel rope becomes a problem (the rope is probably heavier than the winch). There could also be problems with multiples ropes "swinging" rather than twisting.

I'd want to know more before deeming this to be a problem. This must be a semi-routine mission that the crew are trained for. I'd be wondering if it was freak conditions or a break of procedure / operator error.

Poor woman though, that must have been terrifying to experience.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Poor woman though, that must have been terrifying to experience.

Yea if you watch the entire ordeal, she's lucky she didn't get killed. I think she was in a neck brace, so if she vomited, she would have choked.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
So I spent 45 minutes today waiting in line to get new license tabs for one of my vehicles.

45 minutes to obtain two little tabs.

They had 3 people to wait on 25-30 of us.

Doesn't make sense.

Why can't i go to a kiosk that could be located at any public area, scan a barcode of my registration/lisence or whatnot and spit out my tabs in 3 minutes?

I just don't get why it has to be so inefficient.

Loss of jobs?

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
Entrepreneurs!?! What kind of solution could solve this problem?
I think the ground rescuers screwed up. They would have had to remained on the ground to put the injured person in the gurney. They should have attached a 'tag line' (long ropes) on each end of gurney and steadied the gurney as it was being lifted.
It is always done that way when 'flying iron' with a crane on a high rise...

They hold it steady on the ground like a kite...

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
So I spent 45 minutes today waiting in line to get new license tabs for one of my vehicles.

Doesn't make sense.

Why can't i go to a kiosk that could be located at any public area, scan a barcode of my registration/lisence or whatnot and spit out my tabs in 3 minutes?

Loss of jobs?
Yes! Not to mention the cost of just a sticker, or even having a sticker at all :| When now a cop can check the license plate with the computer and see that everything is up too date.
Also along these lines here why does a car only need to be checked for safety when it is bought by a new owner?? Shouldn't this safety check be a yearly thing.

Why aren't houses put under the same scrutiny as cars when selling, why isn't a house required to pass a safety check for electrical, plumbing wiring and make sure all changes additions in the home have been done with a permit and pass inspection. It's mind boggling that a car that is a fraction of the cost of a house has more requirements to sell.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Doesn't make sense.

Loss of jobs?

Sounds like every time I make a trip to the post office. I swear they hire people based on how slow they move. OMG, you walk like you're in slow motion! And the way you move your hands very deliberately, like your disarming a bomb? Impressive, you're hired!

lydialeads

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
May 29, 2019
Sounds like every time I make a trip to the post office. I swear they hire people based on how slow they move. OMG, you walk like you're in slow motion! And the way you move your hands very deliberately, like your disarming a bomb? Impressive, you're hired!
What a wonderful world we live in... How about calling a bank or your phone company for a simple question, listening to an automated message again and again telling you to press this and that, and after waiting and waiting for a real live human representative, someone finally comes on only to speak with a thick accent and static noise so I can't understand a word they're saying, and then they transfer me over to someone else who has no clue why I'm calling... and then I get transfered to another human representative...who then hangs up on you. And then the next day, I get an email asking to take a survey for my experience. What a wonderful world we live in...

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

Doesn't make sense.

Loss of jobs?

The joy of kids movies putting in scenes for the adults to laugh at

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0woPde7OE1k

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
Question: What does FLF think about Lesko's business model? Hack or Honest man?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utiIdR-XVJg

This popped into my youtube reccs, he said he got his start by "Taking a government report on pasta, repackaging it, and selling it for thousands".
He even goes on to say that today all he does nowadays is simply compile lists of ongoing government programs and sells that information. He's never even really written a book, it's all copy paste.

This highly reminds me of what we're seeing with those book summaries and 99 cent "brain hack" guides on amazon.

What's yall's take?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.