The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The next Big Thing is quietly being assembled by Google...

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
What problem does this solve?

Write iOS and android apps once instead of twice?

Supposedly, Flutter will be THE way to make Fuchsia apps. Fuchsia is supposed to replace Android. So, the MAIN problem it will solve for developers, is that it will allow them to make mobiles apps for Google products. Flutter apps on iOS should be inferior to Swift/ObjC apps on iOS, but Flutter apps on iOS will probably be "good enough" for most business type uses. Consultants will be able to write business apps for companies that will run on iOS and Fuchsia, which will be 98% of the mobile market. Business apps being used for things like ordering pizzas or hotel rooms from a mobile device.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
im going to leave this here and walk away slowly

im a swift dev btw.

That was a lot to read. If Flutter is the native language for Google's mobile devices, it will be the most widely used mobile development language. If it can also be used to develop iOS apps that are adequate in many cases, it will be super popular.

I expect a lot freelancers and small shops will use it so they can provide solutions to the most customers.

Slowlanesucker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Dec 15, 2018
Interesting discussion..
Having a look at the game engines and such to write games using flutter...

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
Google's ship sailed long ago - they're just sitting atop their ivory tower now.

The next "big" thing will be a platform to unify blockchain. What Standard did for oil, Carnegie did for steel, Ford did for cars, G did for "web", Amazon did for eCom, Microsoft did for personal computers, Oracle did for data management, Facebook did for the "personal" web... some company will come along and do for "digital everything".

EVERYTHING in your life will have the capacity to be digitally labelled and its place in the world tracked, manipulated and managed. Think sending a parcel - rather than going to the post office, you'll be able to log it into the platform and have shipping companies bid on your package. You want to go out to some bar? You'll be able to see exactly which of your friends have been there recently, what offers they have right now, how many people are at the bar and a multitude of other apps (how attractive the people are there etc)... all with completely independent data.

You may call it AI, automation or whatever... that's just a bi-product of the overall shift. You don't get that stuff without the underlying platform, system and infrastructure to make it work. Some company will rise in the next 5 - 10 years to create said platform. I don't know which, and its likely not many will either, as they'll be in some garage somewhere. The guys who do that stuff are generally very weird. But they're there. And they're going to be HUGE.

Last edited:

MooreMillions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 16, 2008
Atlanta
Google's ship sailed long ago - they're just sitting atop their ivory tower now.

The next "big" thing will be a platform to unify blockchain. What Standard did for oil, Carnegie did for steel, Ford did for cars, G did for "web", Amazon did for eCom, Microsoft did for personal computers, Oracle did for data management, Facebook did for the "personal" web... some company will come along and do for "digital everything".

EVERYTHING in your life will have the capacity to be digitally labelled and its place in the world tracked, manipulated and managed. Think sending a parcel - rather than going to the post office, you'll be able to log it into the platform and have shipping companies bid on your package. You want to go out to some bar? You'll be able to see exactly which of your friends have been there recently, what offers they have right now, how many people are at the bar and a multitude of other apps (how attractive the people are there etc)... all with completely independent data.

You may call it AI, automation or whatever... that's just a bi-product of the overall shift. You don't get that stuff without the underlying platform, system and infrastructure to make it work. Some company will rise in the next 5 - 10 years to create said platform. I don't know which, and its likely not many will either, as they'll be in some garage somewhere. The guys who do that stuff are generally very weird. But they're there. And they're going to be HUGE.
And you just nailed it, SPOT ON!

NOTHING else in tech is more important than this, right now.

The absolute largest pain point in technology is PRIVACY, in every point of use of technology!

The balm for this pain is blockchain technology. Whoever builds a functioning platform for the masses, FIRST, has the ability to make Amazon a distant memory at the top of the foodchain, that is unless...they have already positioned themselves in the sector.

Even though I was a early investor in crypto, and as a non-technical individual, I was always much more excited about what blockchain had to offer vs. it just being associated with cryptocurrency. That limited scope will leave much larger financial gains for the well informed.

I'm excited!

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
My feeling about Dart is that Google got really "lucky". I use quotes because Google had been working hard on it, even though the potential "killer app" may not have been predicted by them. The "killer app" (IMHO) is native iOS/Android app development.

Dart started off as a competitor to Javascript. Then it evolved in to some weird ActiveX-like technology that required a VM. Then they built the VM in to Chrome and created a bastard "Dartium" browser. Next they tried using Dart to just generate JavaScript. They were all over the place with Dart. People soon considered it a "dead" language. Then Flutter appeared, and now it is coming back. In Google trends you can seen a big spike for "flutter" on Feb 28, Flutter entered Beta on Feb 27.

An interesting feature of Dart/Flutter is, they have both AOT and JIT compilers. The JIT (Just-In-Time) compiler is used during the development, and can update a running iOS native app in .5 seconds. The AOT (Ahead-Of-Time) compiler is used to build the final application, so it is super-optimized before you ship it.

I am guessing that the next shoe to drop, will be Dart/Flutter being used to make desktop apps. Google said they had "no plans" to make desktop Win/Mac/Linux apps with Flutter, but a lot of people think that will change as they realize how popular it is likely to be. I think they really were just thinking about Fuschia, and how to get apps for Fuschia, and underestimated the demand for something to replace PhoneGap/Cordova/Xamarin/etc. People want to use it RIGHT NOW, and aren't even thinking about Fuscia.

Yet Fuschia is a giant opportunity, too. Not often you can restart all the mobile apps at zero, and give everyone a fresh start.

I wouldn’t say there’s a huge demand to move away from Xamarin.
Also, have you heard of .NET Core?

Those two technologies fall into the same tech stack (Microsoft) and have almost no limitations now in 2019; they are also fast and simple for those coming from (or not) a .NET background.

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019

10 years before it would be adopted enough and productized enough to be useful.

Think about gas station POS terminals and how they just now have gotten around to accepting Apple Pay. Our internet infrastructure doesn’t support blockchaining really cool “data” together.
Also, the security around the apps consuming the data would have to be huge; if your accessing “your digital self” in public. If any of that software has a zero day or gets backdoored, and I sniff your key, I’m basically going to steal identities all day and sell them at 100 bucks a pop with a “full file of supporting information” on the darkweb.

Edit: side note, I hope any of you with cryptocurrency that are investing in it offload your money to a cold wallet, like Trevor.
You can always throw that cryptocurrency back into your online wallet (Jaxx) in minutes if you need to spend it or trade it... but only a cold wallet is really safe these days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

And you just nailed it, SPOT ON!

NOTHING else in tech is more important than this, right now.

The absolute largest pain point in technology is PRIVACY, in every point of use of technology!

The balm for this pain is blockchain technology. Whoever builds a functioning platform for the masses, FIRST, has the ability to make Amazon a distant memory at the top of the foodchain, that is unless...they have already positioned themselves in the sector.

Even though I was a early investor in crypto, and as a non-technical individual, I was always much more excited about what blockchain had to offer vs. it just being associated with cryptocurrency. That limited scope will leave much larger financial gains for the well informed.

I'm excited!
It's more likely that whoever develops a blockchain platform would suckle on Amazon's AWS teet. Amazon will continue to ramp up its dominance of the cloud, and assuming the proposed blockchain platform plans to operate en masse, AWS would be the most likely target for backend services. Then Amazon would acquire it when it matures.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
97% of Google's revenue comes from Adwords. Think about that for a second.

So, I'm very skeptical when I hear the "next big thing" will come from Google.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Google is well-known for killing products merciless, but I don't think this is going to happen with Dart/Flutter. They use Dart for Google Ads (both Dart Angular and Flutter), which is pretty much their whole revenue, and Fuchsia is meant to replace Android no matter what.

Maybe I should have gone into Flutter, as it looks like a winning horse for developers, but still needs more adoption, and Fuchsia will take a few years to ship and get adopted. I can't see enough demand to justify going into it for a living for now.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
97% of Google's revenue comes from Adwords. Think about that for a second.

So, I'm very skeptical when I hear the "next big thing" will come from Google.

You may be right but from what I understand from current and forum Google employees I know is that the amount of things they dont ever release is incredible. They are continually working on new projects and the fact that they give their employees antonomy to create means that something could pop up at any second. But, as you said, maybe not. Maybe they will continue to coast along. Although Fuschia may or may not be the next huge thing.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
You may be right but from what I understand from current and forum Google employees I know is that the amount of things they dont ever release is incredible. They are continually working on new projects and the fact that they give their employees antonomy to create means that something could pop up at any second. But, as you said, maybe not. Maybe they will continue to coast along. Although Fuschia may or may not be the next huge thing.

I look forward to it. Never bet against Google!

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
In 2-3 years, Google will release a new OS that will unify the Chrome OS and Android systems, remove Linux as a dependency, remove Java as a dependency, be free and open-source, and be unencumbered by patents. The OS is called Fuschia, and all Fuschia apps will be written in Dart using the Flutter framework. Google will essentially control the OS, framework, and language.

It's now been 3 years, but Fuchsia is still not out. They seem to still be working on the best way to run Android apps, either in a Linux VM or an API mapping system (like WINE does). Google isn't saying when they expect Fuchsia to be ready. ChromeOS is now the #2 most common desktop OS. Flutter seems to be doing well, recently version 2.0 was released. Google sponsored a Flutter class at London App Brewery with Angela Yu, the free one has been replaced by an updated one ($10).

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Fuchsia OS is now being rolled out to 1st Gen Nest Hubs:

Google’s long-in-development, from-scratch operating system, Fuchsia, is now running on real Made by Google devices, namely, the first-generation Nest Hub.

Google has told us that as of today, an update is beginning to roll out to owners of the first-generation Nest Hub, first released in 2018. For all intents and purposes, this update will not change any of the functionality of the Nest Hub, but under the hood, the smart display will be running Fuchsia OS instead of the Linux-based “Cast OS” it used before. In fact, your experience with the Nest Hub should be essentially identical. This is possible because Google’s smart display experience is built with Flutter, which is designed to consistently bring apps to multiple platforms, Fuchsia included.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013

Attachments

• f3b.jpg
    f3b.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Google has created a "Flutter Consultants Directory" for Flutter consultants. IBM and Accenture have signed up.

Oilman

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
May 1, 2019
Interesting thread, since I'm in the web development space this could be a way to incorporate this trend to fatten up revenues. Will be watching.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Google has created a "Flutter Consultants Directory" for Flutter consultants. IBM and Accenture have signed up.

I'm thinking of building some code boilerplate in Flutter, it's getting momentum and actual adoption, finally. I've already seen one company selling this for a similar price to SaaS boilerplates.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Is anyone, by any chance, looking for jobs or clients to work with Flutter? I keep hearing that the job market is overall dismal, despite the number of apps written in Flutter on the stores having almost doubled in a year.

I think Flutter is a cool technology, but adoption seems rather slow, and Google has the bad habit of killing good projects.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.