The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Should I learn copywriting?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

capracu3ieizi

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 22, 2019
Hey!

Im 1yo and I've been reading tons on topics on this forum and already read the free chapters of the fastlane books.

I got nothing to do besides studying in my free time. And Im good at everything besides maths at which im average (I used to be good at maths now Im not) and I got no hope to be honest.

I want to learn something to provide value and do my something valuable with my time?

Should I learn copywriting? Or something else? What? Programming? Sales?

I just need some guidance

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
1. Read the books
2. Read ALL of the Gold/Notable threads
3. THEN make a decision

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I'm hardly a successful entrepreneur yet, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

But it seems to me that basic copywriting is so essential of a tool, that everyone involved in marketing should have a familiarity with it.
Same with sales. You should know the basics of sales even if you don't go into sales someday.

A good copywriting book that should get you a good foundation is This Book Will Teach You How to Write Better (plus it's only $4 on amazon).

But overall, I'm a fan of just-in-time learning.
Start a business, and as you run into roadblocks, track down the next information you need to overcome it. Don't just go down a rabbit-hole learning the ins and outs of a topic that you aren't even sure your particular business will need (that's a recipe for action-faking).

A good rule of thumb that's helped me: If you won't need the information in the next 6 months, skip it.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
Hey!

Im 1yo and I've been reading tons on topics on this forum and already read the free chapters of the fastlane books.

I got nothing to do besides studying in my free time. And Im good at everything besides maths at which im average (I used to be good at maths now Im not) and I got no hope to be honest.

I want to learn something to provide value and do my something valuable with my time?

I just need some guidance

There were alot of 'I's in your first post. That may indicate a mindset that fastlaners shy away from. Try to stop focusing on yourself and what you want and spend alot of time thinking of the people around you and what they want and need. Then, you will find opportunities to create value for those people and money will be the byproduct.

Also, avoid looking for just another book to read or another skill to learn, unless it fulfills what I previously mentioned about solving someone else's problem. I advise you get your hands on Unscripted and read the entire book to understand more about this mindset and the whole strategy.

Storm24

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Jan 9, 2018
Australia
Hey man, welcome to the forum.

We’re going to need to a few more details, so lets start with WHY.

Why do you want to learn a skill? Why are you on this journey/site? Better yet, What skills do you currently have? What does your current life situation look like? What are your goals going forward?

All of these questions tie into your WHY for taking action.

If you’re planning to stick around, you can introduce yourself here; Forum Introductions (Who are You!?)

To tackle your questions;

In short:
-> It depends on what problem you’re looking to solve <-

Some examples:
Are you looking to freelance?
Then yeah pick a skill and jump right in. Shiny object syndrome is REAL and rampant when you’re starting out. So pick something that’s in line with your ultimate goals (Sound familiar? We’re at the WHY again).

Wanting to create the next SAAS?
Then yeah learning to code probably seems in line. Or maybe it doesnt? maybe you have $$$ you can spend on development. It really depends on your situation.

eCommerce?
Plenty skills involved here. Product sourcing, accounting, product dev, marketing, blah blah the list goes on.

All i’m saying is that the skills required depend on the business endeavour and ultimate problem you’re trying to solve. Dont start with what skills to learn (you’ll be ‘learning’ forever… ask me how I know).

@jesseissorude has it spot on; just-in-time learning is the answer.

However…
One skill thats a constant theme in Entrepreneurship is SALES. Same goes with copywriting; Copywriting is simply salesmanship in print.

Before you start anything do these:
  1. Read TMF
  2. Read Unscripted
  3. Read All GOLD and NOTABLE Threads
If you get stuck, create a discussion. The quality of your questions determine the quality of your life. So ask the right questions and those more experienced on here are wayyyy more inclined to help!

Good luck!

bingnanxu

Take Massive Determined Action
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 16, 2019
Dued, unless you can find a customer, forget about it. Tens and thousands are doing the same thing, find a customer first, then you can always learn at a lighting speed or outsource :]

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
Writing good copy is a great skill, but it's a tough sell. Kind of ironic if you think about it.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty, I would suggest you take up an apprenticeship with a mentor.

You'll learn more useful stuff than any book or class can teach you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.