The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Did It: Zero to $12k a Month While Traveling the World

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Good questions. Let me answer:

1. It is not simply about "web design" but about delivering results,Leads,Sales.. (Would you see a "better" brand because you got rid of a ugly outdated website as a result?)

Do you also manage Facebook ADs or AdWords for your customers? If content marketing makes sense - do you make a monthly plan for contentcreation? Do you also optimize print advertising, flyers or something? How "holistic" is your approach?

I have certainly ended up with a generalist agency that does everything. That means my approach is very holistic. Once I figured out how to identify what other businesses are doing, it became realistic to copy and adapt approaches to fit my clients and their markets.

Rarely do I complete a project that is just a website. Almost always, there is some form of SEO, content marketing, and off-website assets like Google My Business, Yelp, etc.

For half my clients I generate leads. For the other half I build systems that generate leads. That's the value in what I do. There's also an element of business consulting. Just last night I was talking to a startup who is trying to launch an app this summer. They wanted to draw on my experienced background in construction and marketing.

Bottom line = I add value. If I figured out today that I could add value better by making socks, I would make socks. I follow the value rabbit.

Fox writes in his thread that he never got a lead through his website. You write that you get 50% of your customers through your website. Do you rank high for relevant keywords? What do you do differently than him?

Fox's strategy is heavily focused on the sales person. This is a great place to start because everyone is already equipped for sales even if they don't know it yet. We were all kids once convincing our parents to buy us McDonalds or a new pair of Nike Airs.

My story is just different. I was learning SEO and how the Google machines work and I've always been a good writer. I dropped out of college with F's but I always had an A in English. So, writing content makes sense for me.

My content generates enough attention to bring in leads and other opportunities.

Most people say that blogging is saturated and that it's too late to start a blog. Luckily for us, that's total bullshit. If you know how to use Ahrefs you can find too many blogging opportunities to list. By the time you're done taking advantage of the ones you find, 1000000 more pop up.

So yea, I do things differently than Fox, but I use his sales technique to close large sales. He was my guide at the beginning. Now I'm looking for a guide to show me how to get to the next phase which for me is building a team and a real business. Possibly niching down.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GrandRub

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 27, 2019
Germany
Thank you for that in depth reply. covered all my questions.

one more thing. maybe thats a good exemple for your approach and interesting for others as well.

last week i started looking for websites and "selling systems" (dont know how to explain that in proper english) that i could improve and where i could add value.

i found a local store. very well known old store with a venue in the inner city. they have a good reputation and everytime i walk by there are some people.
they sell hats,gloves and luxury scarves... and they have no website.

how would you add value and help them getting more customers/sales ?

- obviously i would design a nice and clean looking website showcasing their store and some testimonials, press articles about them.
- optimize their google places listing

my thougth is that paid advertising is a waste of money because they have no eCommerce store - and an ecommerce store is overkill and their USP is that "we are an old brick and mortar store selling hat since 1920"

any thougths on this? do you implement ecommerce stores as well? shopify or woocommerce? i think its great to sell 24/7 online.. but its also steady maintenance work and not the "make a static html website for an unsexy bsuiness and forget" approach.

thank you!

/last question i promise ;) - any good resources/blogs/etc you would recommend`?

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Thank you for that in depth reply. covered all my questions.

one more thing. maybe thats a good exemple for your approach and interesting for others as well.

last week i started looking for websites and "selling systems" (dont know how to explain that in proper english) that i could improve and where i could add value.

i found a local store. very well known old store with a venue in the inner city. they have a good reputation and everytime i walk by there are some people.
they sell hats,gloves and luxury scarves... and they have no website.

how would you add value and help them getting more customers/sales ?

- obviously i would design a nice and clean looking website showcasing their store and some testimonials, press articles about them.
- optimize their google places listing

my thougth is that paid advertising is a waste of money because they have no eCommerce store - and an ecommerce store is overkill and their USP is that "we are an old brick and mortar store selling hat since 1920"

any thougths on this? do you implement ecommerce stores as well? shopify or woocommerce? i think its great to sell 24/7 online.. but its also steady maintenance work and not the "make a static html website for an unsexy bsuiness and forget" approach.

thank you!

When I come across prospects I try and gauge how close they are to pulling the trigger. If they aren't close, I've learned not to spend too much time trying to push people across the line.

The trick is to get exposed to people who already want a site and know how they will benefit. They are out there, you just need to find them.

Giving workshops is a great place to find clients. Talk about success stories you've contributed to and the people that can relate and want that will approach you. Then it's easy.

For your old store, they probably aren't looking for any buy change. They have done something that works for a long time and might be afraid to stray from the path. It's still worth talking to them though. "Have you ever thought of selling online?"

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Ah damn, I only just saw this thread.

This is awesome man. That was some fun times in Bali arguing over who gets the whiteboard pen and dodging earthquakes lol.

I always felt like I was a year or so behind you so I'm looking forward to getting to this point haha.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
Hey again @GoodluckChuck !

Hope you could give your insight on my current issue.

So at the moment I have been designing websites for people, but I want to move into other avenues that generate traffic (SEO, PPC etc.)

My question is which one should I start to offer?

I wanted to go with SEO (since it's a natural progression for a website) but with that it looks like it might take a lot of time to learn and get results. Furthermore, I have heard people say that for link building you need to do manual outreach which makes it even more time-consuming and you don't even know that what you are doing will get you results. And all this time the client is paying you money for which he is not seeing any return.

On the other hand, PPC is not really a natural progression (because you need to create landing pages instead of a website) but it is very fast and could get some results quickly.

What do you think?

I was thinking splitting SEO and offering just blog services or just listing services - i.e. splitting the services. So instead of doing SEO for 500 dollars/month, I could start off by selling 2 blogs for 200 dollars/month and then trying to upsell as I go. It's just that without much experience it's hard to sell results, so if I sell an 'SEO package' I am selling them 1st page results while with blog I am selling them just the blog (with the potential of improving rankings) which is less money but also less pressure.

P.S. How do you do link building for your clients? Do you do manual outreach yourself to secure guest blogs?

Thanks!

U

User62861

Congrats man!

How did you start selling MMRs? How did people/companies find out about your service?

Can you share your site?

Thank you.

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon

Each journey is different. What works for @GoodluckChuck may not work for you. It's about taking action and finding your unique blend of services that are unique to YOU.

How did you start selling MMRs? How did people/companies find out about your service?

He discovered a market need and took action. He also made the offer so convenient and irresistible for them. Read the thread, more than half of his business comes from referrals from current clients.

itfactor

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
May 18, 2019
Why not do both?

Pick up SEO since its easier to tag on as an additional offering for your website, then outsource PPC to someone else if hour client wants it.

I’m working in the PPC space myself and 70% of my clients come from SEO agencies who only do Adwords but not Facebook Ads.

In case you are worried your client may be concerned about third parties handling their accounts, it is possible to outsource PPC in a way that client will only see you handling their ads. The vendor who is doing the real work will only be seen as part of your agency.

So at the moment I have been designing websites for people, but I want to move into other avenues that generate traffic (SEO, PPC etc.)

I wanted to go with SEO (since it's a natural progression for a website) but with that it looks like it might take a lot of time to learn and get results. Furthermore, I have heard people say that for link building you need to do manual outreach which makes it even more time-consuming and you don't even know that what you are doing will get you results. And all this time the client is paying you money for which he is not seeing any return.

On the other hand, PPC is not really a natural progression (because you need to create landing pages instead of a website) but it is very fast and could get some results quickly.

What do you think?

I was thinking splitting SEO and offering just blog services or just listing services - i.e. splitting the services. So instead of doing SEO for 500 dollars/month, I could start off by selling 2 blogs for 200 dollars/month and then trying to upsell as I go. It's just that without much experience it's hard to sell results, so if I sell an 'SEO package' I am selling them 1st page results while with blog I am selling them just the blog (with the potential of improving rankings) which is less money but also less pressure.

P.S. How do you do link building for your clients? Do you do manual outreach yourself to secure guest blogs?

Thanks!

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016

What do you think?

Thanks!

I was following your struggles from the beginning, congrats, what did you do differently to get more sales?

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I was following your struggles from the beginning, congrats, what did you do differently to get more sales?
Though I read a bunch of sales books and took some courses, it was actually getting out and talking to a ton of people that made the difference. Go figure...

The way I look at everything has changed. I'm no longer afraid of rejection because I understand that most people and situations will not be a good fit for my business. Most of the time it will be because of the prospect and where they are at, and little to do with me or what I say.

I just make it my goal to give as much value and learn as much as I can on each call. I'm looking for the no. I'm trying to draw it out of them as soon as possible so I can move onto the next thing. Time is of the essence.

I understand that being a salesperson is a qualifying game. I'm trying to sift through the people I come into contact with to find the best win win situations. It's ok that most of them are not worth my TIME.

That's it. It's still a challenge to get on the phone sometimes because I'm kind of an introvert, but it's rewarding because it forces me out of my comfort zone.

Another thing I focus on is relationships, direct and extended. I look at who knows who and strategically make the connections I think could eventually pay off. With tools like Instagram this I'd getting easier. I keep a CRM of people that might not necessarily buy from me but might be a good connection to have.

Most of my leads come through referral and connections.

switching_lanes

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Apr 24, 2019
Austria
So you saw the headline and decided to click and see what this post is all about. That was literally what I did about 1.5 years ago when I saw Rob O'Rourke's (@Fox) post with a very similar title.

Back then I was looking for a way out of my 9-5 world. Don't get me wrong. I had my dream job. At least it was my dream at the time. I was working full time as a residential construction superintendent. I spent my days driving around Portland, Oregon acting as the bridge between homeowners, contractors, engineers, architects, designers, and city offices.

It was a sweet gig. I was making 52k/yr salary with full benefits, a company truck, cell phone, laptop, credit card, and 3 weeks per year of paid vacation. I was in hog heaven.

Then why did I feel so empty inside? Okay, maybe it wasn't that. Maybe it was the fact that I was removing a nasty-a$$ toilet for the third time in a week for an ungrateful homeowner who had nothing but complaints despite my constant a$$ kissing. That moment while I was hugging that grimy, stinky toilet was my F*ck this moment. You know, that moment that MJ talks about when you drop everything you're doing, turn tail, and get the F*ck out? Ya, that was it. It was the smell of shit coming from the poop stain 3 inches away from my face...

Back Up a Couple Months
The F*ck This Event came in May of 2017. 3 months earlier was when I discovered The Millionaire Fastlane . It's kind of a fun story and I'll try to make it short.

There I was home alone on a Saturday night. My girlfriend was visiting family so I was laying on the couch high out of my mind on some legal Marijuana playing video games. I was 10 hours deep into gaming when I finally turned it off and just sat there. I had a hollow feeling. One that I've had many times. "What am I doing with my life?"

This was a normal pattern for me where I would alternate back and forth between extremely unproductive behavior and the highly motivated obsessive though short lived pursuit of something more.

I decided that my time would be better spent developing a skill that was actually marketable. They always say that it takes 10000 hours to become a master at something and if you want to make a ton of money, you have to be a master, right? So I started doing some calculations to see how long it would take me to become a master at a new skill.

My thought process at the time was Master Skill > Self-Employed > More Money > More Freedom

I added up all the time I spent each week at my job, hanging with the gf, eating, working out, watching tv, etc. When it was all laid out I determined I had about 14 hours per week I could comfortably apply to the pursuit of building a new skillset. Let's see... 14 hours per week at 52 weeks per year is 728 hours per year.. carry the two.. so if I applied 14 hours a week to skill development I would be a master in...

14 years.... F*ck!!!

Holy shit I never realized how much of my time was being eaten up by things I didn't particularly care to do. 50 hours per week for a job? It was that moment that I knew something wasn't right. The seed was planted for me to scrap the old paradigm and find a new one.

After this demystifying exercise I found myself with a gigantic flush of motivation.

I didn't know what else to do so I did a google search for "Best book on being successful."

The first search result was a reddit post where some guy listed his top 10 books on being successful. #1 was TMF . I thought, "Hey it's number 1 so it must be the best." I quickly went online and picked up the digital copy and started reading it.

Needless to say it was riveting. Two days later I finished the last page and immediately had a panic attack. I knew I had to do something to change my life but I didn't know what.

The months following this revelatory learning experience were spent on this very forum obsessively consuming information about what others were doing besides slaving their lives away at a job they didn't even want to do.

This is when I discovered Rob's post about web design. He was making 10k/mo working from Columbia building websites. He also put out a course teaching others how to do it. I bought it along with another course. The total investment was $2300 which was more than I had ever invested in myself before.

There's something to be said about investing a large amount in something like a course. Whether the course is valuable or not, the very act of investing such a large amount triggers the sunk-cost fallacy and makes you feel like you have to get your moneys worth or you'll die. You HAVE to make it work. There's no other choice. This is a good place to be in when you want to achieve something. "I have no other options."

Buying these courses was the smartest things I've ever done.

With all the different business models one could choose, I chose web design and marketing for two reasons:

1. I knew that I wanted to be a businessman, so I needed to learn about business. As a freelance web designer and marketer I get the opportunity to work with businesses of all types in all locations. I get to learn what works and what doesn't straight from the source.

2. I wanted to be free to work from wherever I wanted.

The Runway
While I was taking my online courses, the construction company I was working for happened to be struggling. We had lost the only job we had going which was valued at about 200k. To top it off we had no leads in the pipeline. We were pretty much F*cked.

The owner thought I was the prodigal son and I could do no wrong. So, when I pitched to him that I would make a website and use Google Adwords to get leads, he was onboard. I saw this as an opportunity to get paid to learn a skill I could use to get me some of that sweet sweet freedom.

I threw together a shitty website and ran Google ads with the help of @Andy Black Adwords Jumpstart course. In 2 months we had jobs going and a full pipeline. Success! It was working!

This achievement gave me a ton of courage in terms of quitting my job to start my own business. I've always been a sink or swim type of guy. If things are comfortable I can get lazy, but if I need to perform, I always deliver. I've never missed any payment or bill in my life despite the fact that I've always been very poor.

With that said, I realized that if I kept my 9-5 job and my comfortable salary I wouldn't have the energy after work to pursue anything else. It was a scary decision to consider...

It still took me a few months to build up enough courage, and with ~3k in the bank and a laptop, I quit my job and jumped into Entrepreneurship 100%.

(Please note that I don't have any kids or debt. If I needed to, I could probably get by on less than $1000 per month.)

The First Year
During the first year I only made about $28k doing freelance web design. The cool part is that I was only working part time. I spent about 15-30 hours per week working on projects and 40 or so hours per week reading, studying, taking courses, and experimenting with online marketing on my own projects.

Around May of 2018, about 6 months after I went full time into freelance, my girlfriend quit her job and we started traveling the world. We landed in Bali, Indonesia first thanks to advice from Matt Robinson, another member of this forum. Two weeks in she got bored and quickly found a remote job doing sales for a company called Remote Year. Part of the deal was she had to go live in Mexico City for 3 months and train. I liked it a lot because we got a free condo in a really nice part of town, not to mention the constant exposure to traveling entrepreneurs. Heaven...

The girlfriend working was great for my productivity as I didn't have to put up with a constant moving distraction that seems to be a black hole for attention. You know, the typical girlfriend. Haha

Getting Smart with the Passive Income
In May of 2018 I was feeling the pain of the boom and bust business cycle of a freelance web designer. I would make a 5k sale one month, work on the project for a month, then find myself with no sales and no income the next month. It was emotional going from such highs to such lows all the time. This is when I decided to start going for MRR, or monthly reoccurring revenue.

I started selling website care plans and review funnels in addition to the websites.

A care plan basically means I take care of a client's website and provide 2 hours per month for edits. Besides never having to worry about their website being hacked or down, they get instant responses whenever they have an issue, questions, or just need service. With this I was able to turn regular web design clients into $250/mo care plan clients.

I also sold review funnels. Basically a review funnel is a one page website with a special url that makes it as easy as possible for a customer to leave a company a review on multiple sites. I was selling these for $150/mo. This is a great one because they are super low maintenance and provide a ton of value for the right kind of client. I've seen others charge a lot more but I like to keep it low key as to keep the payments coming in for long periods of time without a second glance from the client.

It only took two months for me to get to $650/mo in MRR. This was a magic number for me because this covered my living and business expenses. Got to love the low overhead of freelance web design...

This lowered my stress tremendously and gave me the breathing room to pursue more risky projects and come up with more creative deals.

The rest of 2018 was great. I spent 7 months abroad. I went to Bali twice and Mexico 3 times. I made friends everywhere and picked up clients each place I went. Now I work with clients all over the world.

Now it's 2019 and business is better than ever. My conservative projection for 2019 is $140k and I'm still only working part time. The MRR is about to pass 3k/mo and only takes up about 3 hours of my time per month.

I've settled on providing complete holistic marketing services for small to medium sized businesses. You could say I'm more of a consultant. I come in and work with a client to figure out exactly what's holding them back then come up with a strategy to get them to where they want to go. Inbound marketing is my weapon of choice as I enjoy creating content that brings in large amounts of traffic which I then turn into customers and sales.

I haven't niched down into any one type of service or market which definitely has its challenges. It's definitely not a business I plan on scaling broadly in terms of quantity of clients, but perhaps in terms of magnitude, or size of projects. The sweet spot for project size for my company is 10-20k. This size project pays well and is still small enough that I don't have to work with large teams or groups of decision makers.

I like this set up because I'm still being exposed to tons of different businesses and learning a lot. It also gives me breathing room to be flexible with my direction which I'm still figuring out. Freedom and flexibility are two of my most important values.

I have a couple side projects going that have potential to earn me a lot more than my marketing agency simply because they are much more scalable. I plan on keeping my agency going if only to service my book of clients as well as market any companies I start or acquire in the future.

One of the best parts of this whole business has been the relationships I've developed with people all over the world. I have more friends than ever and everywhere I travel to I know someone who will meet up for a beer or an adventure. I've even met up with Rob a few times which is super cool because he's someone I really looked up to over the last few years.

Lessons Learned
I hope to share some things that might help others who are just getting started. This could be considered an exercise in trying to relate to myself the way I was 2 years ago before I was blessed with the curse of knowledge. Hell, 3 years ago I had to look up the term "marketing" because I didn't even know what it meant... Can you believe that?

Here is a list of 5 things I would tell my younger self.

1. Mindset is more important than anything else.

There are a lot of things that make up a mindset, for example: self esteem. Self esteem has such a huge role on how we see ourselves and others. It effects every single thing we do and every thought we have. I think the topic of self esteem is worth researching in the very beginning, or at any stage for that matter. Get in tune with where you're at and what you think of yourself. Ask yourself, "What do I need to be like in order for me to feel great about myself?"

There's three books I recommend for this:
- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins - This is like an instruction manual for your mind. Mine is full of notes... I regularly open up to a random page and read it like the Bible. (Get the old version at Goodwill or some other thrift shop. The new versions are a condensed version meant to sell his other products.)
- The Six Pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon - A solid presentation of what self esteem is, what it does, and how to cultivate it.
- 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class by Steve Siebold - This book is a gateway to learning how to be a world class human being. It's got tons of recommendations for other books. I can't recommend this book enough.
2. If you don't know what to do, just do something. Anything!
In today's world we have too many options. In the old days people had to find food. They had to build shelter, collect firewood, and make as many babies as they could because most of them wouldn't survive. Life was all about survival.
In today's world we don't have to worry about that kind of stuff. The result of this phenomenon is an entire population frozen in indecision because they don't know what to do. It's my belief that if you find yourself not knowing what direction to head, just start walking. Pick something and start doing it. You'll quickly discover whether it's working for you or not and then decide to continue or change direction.
If you never start moving, it's easy to wake up and realize the years have gone by but you've stood still. This was me for years. Don't let it be you! Get moving!!!
3. Read, a lot.
I know a lot of people. The ones that read are miles ahead of the ones that don't. What else can I say? From ages 18 to 28 I read maybe 10 books. From 28 to 30 I read over 100. I can't even begin to describe the difference this made for me.
Read. Listen. Expose yourself to new information in whatever way is effective for you. Just know that there's something special about reading. Your subconscious mind creates a world with the information thus making reading super effective. TV and Audio is good but your brain is much less active during these activities.
4. Be a Good Person
Good people are more successful than bad people. This might sound silly but it's true. Write a paragraph about what makes a really good person then make it your mission to be like that.
If you automatically consider other people and go out of your way to make their lives better, money will magically find its way into your pocket. It's magic. Did I say that already?
5. Get Uncomfortable
The first time you drive on the freeway it's really scary. Cars are moving fast and the stakes are high. If you mess up, you're dead. It's quite uncomfortable, no?
After a couple hundred times driving on the freeway it's just not a big deal, right? You can do it in your sleep, almost... Why do you think that is? Did driving get any easier? Or, did you just get better?
This analogy can relate to anything in life. If you are always comfortable, it means you are never getting better at anything. If you want to grow and become a better person, you have to expose yourself to situations that make you uncomfortable.
I've learned to notice when I'm getting too comfortable. That's usually the time I pack my bags and head somewhere I've never been or look for a situation that scares me. I can't even tell you how much I've grown since I realized this.
Well, thank you for reading my short progress story. I hope you found something valuable to take away and use in your own journey.

If you have any questions, ask away. I've got nothing to hide and am happy to be as transparent as possible to help others like myself who just need to see someone else do it to give them the courage to follow suit.
Thanks for this amazing post. I might start doing the same thing on the side until I can quit my job!

U

User62861

I've never met most of my clients face to face. Only phone calls and some video calls.

So, my clients come from all over.

While traveling I've met a lot of entrepreneurs and business people. I've got a lot of new jobs through contacts made while traveling. I have clients all over the world and tend to pick up work everywhere I go. Even if it's not immediate, it's not uncommon for someone to reach out to me 6 months later and ask if I can do something.
Same here!

People forget it's often a long term ''game''. The same thing goes with repeat customers, they can come to you after 1 year or so. It's not always right away or the day after.

reedracer

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 2, 2019
Kansas City
Man! Totally taken in by the headline! I'm so glad I read through this. Prospecting for Gold threads is a blast.

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I love this story . I see alot of my own story in this and now im inspired .

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Hey @GoodluckChuck I hope you're well my friend!

Because of being inspired by your story among others in this forum, I was able to secure my first web design client and set them up on recurring maintenance! It's a great feeling!

I just wanted to let you know that you impacted my life, and I will give as much value back to this community as I can!

All the best,
-Andy

radek1

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 12, 2019
Besides business, Tony Robbins' material has helped me understand my friends and family better which has given me A LOT more empathy for them than I used to feel.

I think you are an awesome human being :smile2:

Thanks so much for your original post and this thread, was very inspirational.

Moneymakermitch

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Nov 12, 2013
Just got off the phone with a client and got asked a question which lead me to wonder how others would answer this:

Client - " I guess your just going to take a template from a website and replace it with my pictures and my text"?

I answered with "I taught myself how to code so its custom html/css "

I am however using template themes from themeforest and than adding the clients info, pics and doing my best to make it SEO optimized.

Is this an okay way to handle this ? I don't want anyone to feel ripped off but I am indeed taking a theme and making it to suit the needs of the client.

Andrea Cabassi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 17, 2019
Thanks for sharing, I love your story!
I hope to have one day something similar to share. I'm working towards that direction.
And I'm actually in Bali, so there is something in common. ;)

bdb

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Nov 24, 2018
Great story.

Did you have a plan B ?

How did you know that you were going to be able to support yourself ? (you mentioned having ~3K in your bank).

Boab

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Aug 17, 2017
Scotland
Client - " I guess your just going to take a template from a website and replace it with my pictures and my text"?

Was this a current client who is paying you or was it a prospect?

Either way it doesn't sound like someone who is going to be a great client and maybe better without them.

The truth is pretty much everyone uses tempates or frameworks. Standing on the shoulder of giants you would be insane to try and reinvent the wheel with the clean code that has been perfected over years.

The value that you add is on top of that by having the technical skills to put it together alongside the design, business and marketing skills to present the website as a sales tool that will not only be found by potential customers on Google but also make them convert to people who reach out for the clients service.

If you haven't already I highly recommend fox's sales course and threads on web design.

Last edited:

SchenkFinancial

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 17, 2019
Germany
Lesson Number 2 by @GoodluckChuck is gold. Taking massive action is a vital factor for success. As Grant Cardone said: "I continued this commitment to massive action until one day it was no longer an unusual activity but a habit for me."

Last edited:

Firebird92

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 22, 2014
Hey Chuck great thread. I was wondering how did you find your first clients and how much did you charge? Was it through friends and family, cold calling random businesses or through networking events?

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Hey Chuck great thread. I was wondering how did you find your first clients and how much did you charge? Was it through friends and family, cold calling random businesses or through networking events?

The first few sites I built were for the businesses of friends and family and all for free. This gave me some real world experience and also provided a sandbox to try SEO out.

The first paying project was for a non profit that my mom had a connection with.

After that it was referrals and organic leads.

I can't be certain but I would say most of my sales have been regardless of my experience, at least directly. What sells is the confidence in knowing you can get results. A lot of people aren't too concerned with the specifics of past work after it's established that you're a website designer.

Josephseal

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2019
So you saw the headline and decided to click and see what this post is all about. That was literally what I did about 1.5 years ago when I saw Rob O'Rourke's (@Fox) post with a very similar title.

Back then I was looking for a way out of my 9-5 world. Don't get me wrong. I had my dream job. At least it was my dream at the time. I was working full time as a residential construction superintendent. I spent my days driving around Portland, Oregon acting as the bridge between homeowners, contractors, engineers, architects, designers, and city offices.

It was a sweet gig. I was making 52k/yr salary with full benefits, a company truck, cell phone, laptop, credit card, and 3 weeks per year of paid vacation. I was in hog heaven.

Then why did I feel so empty inside? Okay, maybe it wasn't that. Maybe it was the fact that I was removing a nasty-a$$ toilet for the third time in a week for an ungrateful homeowner who had nothing but complaints despite my constant a$$ kissing. That moment while I was hugging that grimy, stinky toilet was my F*ck this moment. You know, that moment that MJ talks about when you drop everything you're doing, turn tail, and get the F*ck out? Ya, that was it. It was the smell of shit coming from the poop stain 3 inches away from my face...

Back Up a Couple Months
The F*ck This Event came in May of 2017. 3 months earlier was when I discovered The Millionaire Fastlane . It's kind of a fun story and I'll try to make it short.

There I was home alone on a Saturday night. My girlfriend was visiting family so I was laying on the couch high out of my mind on some legal Marijuana playing video games. I was 10 hours deep into gaming when I finally turned it off and just sat there. I had a hollow feeling. One that I've had many times. "What am I doing with my life?"

This was a normal pattern for me where I would alternate back and forth between extremely unproductive behavior and the highly motivated obsessive though short lived pursuit of something more.

I decided that my time would be better spent developing a skill that was actually marketable. They always say that it takes 10000 hours to become a master at something and if you want to make a ton of money, you have to be a master, right? So I started doing some calculations to see how long it would take me to become a master at a new skill.

My thought process at the time was Master Skill > Self-Employed > More Money > More Freedom

I added up all the time I spent each week at my job, hanging with the gf, eating, working out, watching tv, etc. When it was all laid out I determined I had about 14 hours per week I could comfortably apply to the pursuit of building a new skillset. Let's see... 14 hours per week at 52 weeks per year is 728 hours per year.. carry the two.. so if I applied 14 hours a week to skill development I would be a master in...

14 years.... F*ck!!!

Holy shit I never realized how much of my time was being eaten up by things I didn't particularly care to do. 50 hours per week for a job? It was that moment that I knew something wasn't right. The seed was planted for me to scrap the old paradigm and find a new one.

After this demystifying exercise I found myself with a gigantic flush of motivation.

I didn't know what else to do so I did a google search for "Best book on being successful."

The first search result was a reddit post where some guy listed his top 10 books on being successful. #1 was TMF . I thought, "Hey it's number 1 so it must be the best." I quickly went online and picked up the digital copy and started reading it.

Needless to say it was riveting. Two days later I finished the last page and immediately had a panic attack. I knew I had to do something to change my life but I didn't know what.

The months following this revelatory learning experience were spent on this very forum obsessively consuming information about what others were doing besides slaving their lives away at a job they didn't even want to do.

This is when I discovered Rob's post about web design. He was making 10k/mo working from Columbia building websites. He also put out a course teaching others how to do it. I bought it along with another course. The total investment was $2300 which was more than I had ever invested in myself before.

There's something to be said about investing a large amount in something like a course. Whether the course is valuable or not, the very act of investing such a large amount triggers the sunk-cost fallacy and makes you feel like you have to get your moneys worth or you'll die. You HAVE to make it work. There's no other choice. This is a good place to be in when you want to achieve something. "I have no other options."

Buying these courses was the smartest things I've ever done.

With all the different business models one could choose, I chose web design and marketing for two reasons:

1. I knew that I wanted to be a businessman, so I needed to learn about business. As a freelance web designer and marketer I get the opportunity to work with businesses of all types in all locations. I get to learn what works and what doesn't straight from the source.

2. I wanted to be free to work from wherever I wanted.

The Runway
While I was taking my online courses, the construction company I was working for happened to be struggling. We had lost the only job we had going which was valued at about 200k. To top it off we had no leads in the pipeline. We were pretty much F*cked.

The owner thought I was the prodigal son and I could do no wrong. So, when I pitched to him that I would make a website and use Google Adwords to get leads, he was onboard. I saw this as an opportunity to get paid to learn a skill I could use to get me some of that sweet sweet freedom.

I threw together a shitty website and ran Google ads with the help of @Andy Black Adwords Jumpstart course. In 2 months we had jobs going and a full pipeline. Success! It was working!

This achievement gave me a ton of courage in terms of quitting my job to start my own business. I've always been a sink or swim type of guy. If things are comfortable I can get lazy, but if I need to perform, I always deliver. I've never missed any payment or bill in my life despite the fact that I've always been very poor.

With that said, I realized that if I kept my 9-5 job and my comfortable salary I wouldn't have the energy after work to pursue anything else. It was a scary decision to consider...

It still took me a few months to build up enough courage, and with ~3k in the bank and a laptop, I quit my job and jumped into Entrepreneurship 100%.

(Please note that I don't have any kids or debt. If I needed to, I could probably get by on less than $1000 per month.)

The First Year
During the first year I only made about $28k doing freelance web design. The cool part is that I was only working part time. I spent about 15-30 hours per week working on projects and 40 or so hours per week reading, studying, taking courses, and experimenting with online marketing on my own projects.

Around May of 2018, about 6 months after I went full time into freelance, my girlfriend quit her job and we started traveling the world. We landed in Bali, Indonesia first thanks to advice from Matt Robinson, another member of this forum. Two weeks in she got bored and quickly found a remote job doing sales for a company called Remote Year. Part of the deal was she had to go live in Mexico City for 3 months and train. I liked it a lot because we got a free condo in a really nice part of town, not to mention the constant exposure to traveling entrepreneurs. Heaven...

The girlfriend working was great for my productivity as I didn't have to put up with a constant moving distraction that seems to be a black hole for attention. You know, the typical girlfriend. Haha

Getting Smart with the Passive Income
In May of 2018 I was feeling the pain of the boom and bust business cycle of a freelance web designer. I would make a 5k sale one month, work on the project for a month, then find myself with no sales and no income the next month. It was emotional going from such highs to such lows all the time. This is when I decided to start going for MRR, or monthly reoccurring revenue.

I started selling website care plans and review funnels in addition to the websites.

A care plan basically means I take care of a client's website and provide 2 hours per month for edits. Besides never having to worry about their website being hacked or down, they get instant responses whenever they have an issue, questions, or just need service. With this I was able to turn regular web design clients into $250/mo care plan clients.

I also sold review funnels. Basically a review funnel is a one page website with a special url that makes it as easy as possible for a customer to leave a company a review on multiple sites. I was selling these for $150/mo. This is a great one because they are super low maintenance and provide a ton of value for the right kind of client. I've seen others charge a lot more but I like to keep it low key as to keep the payments coming in for long periods of time without a second glance from the client.

It only took two months for me to get to $650/mo in MRR. This was a magic number for me because this covered my living and business expenses. Got to love the low overhead of freelance web design...

This lowered my stress tremendously and gave me the breathing room to pursue more risky projects and come up with more creative deals.

The rest of 2018 was great. I spent 7 months abroad. I went to Bali twice and Mexico 3 times. I made friends everywhere and picked up clients each place I went. Now I work with clients all over the world.

Now it's 2019 and business is better than ever. My conservative projection for 2019 is $140k and I'm still only working part time. The MRR is about to pass 3k/mo and only takes up about 3 hours of my time per month.

I've settled on providing complete holistic marketing services for small to medium sized businesses. You could say I'm more of a consultant. I come in and work with a client to figure out exactly what's holding them back then come up with a strategy to get them to where they want to go. Inbound marketing is my weapon of choice as I enjoy creating content that brings in large amounts of traffic which I then turn into customers and sales.

I haven't niched down into any one type of service or market which definitely has its challenges. It's definitely not a business I plan on scaling broadly in terms of quantity of clients, but perhaps in terms of magnitude, or size of projects. The sweet spot for project size for my company is 10-20k. This size project pays well and is still small enough that I don't have to work with large teams or groups of decision makers.

I like this set up because I'm still being exposed to tons of different businesses and learning a lot. It also gives me breathing room to be flexible with my direction which I'm still figuring out. Freedom and flexibility are two of my most important values.

I have a couple side projects going that have potential to earn me a lot more than my marketing agency simply because they are much more scalable. I plan on keeping my agency going if only to service my book of clients as well as market any companies I start or acquire in the future.

One of the best parts of this whole business has been the relationships I've developed with people all over the world. I have more friends than ever and everywhere I travel to I know someone who will meet up for a beer or an adventure. I've even met up with Rob a few times which is super cool because he's someone I really looked up to over the last few years.

Lessons Learned
I hope to share some things that might help others who are just getting started. This could be considered an exercise in trying to relate to myself the way I was 2 years ago before I was blessed with the curse of knowledge. Hell, 3 years ago I had to look up the term "marketing" because I didn't even know what it meant... Can you believe that?

Here is a list of 5 things I would tell my younger self.

1. Mindset is more important than anything else.

There are a lot of things that make up a mindset, for example: self esteem. Self esteem has such a huge role on how we see ourselves and others. It effects every single thing we do and every thought we have. I think the topic of self esteem is worth researching in the very beginning, or at any stage for that matter. Get in tune with where you're at and what you think of yourself. Ask yourself, "What do I need to be like in order for me to feel great about myself?"

There's three books I recommend for this:
- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins - This is like an instruction manual for your mind. Mine is full of notes... I regularly open up to a random page and read it like the Bible. (Get the old version at Goodwill or some other thrift shop. The new versions are a condensed version meant to sell his other products.)
- The Six Pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon - A solid presentation of what self esteem is, what it does, and how to cultivate it.
- 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class by Steve Siebold - This book is a gateway to learning how to be a world class human being. It's got tons of recommendations for other books. I can't recommend this book enough.
2. If you don't know what to do, just do something. Anything!
In today's world we have too many options. In the old days people had to find food. They had to build shelter, collect firewood, and make as many babies as they could because most of them wouldn't survive. Life was all about survival.
In today's world we don't have to worry about that kind of stuff. The result of this phenomenon is an entire population frozen in indecision because they don't know what to do. It's my belief that if you find yourself not knowing what direction to head, just start walking. Pick something and start doing it. You'll quickly discover whether it's working for you or not and then decide to continue or change direction.
If you never start moving, it's easy to wake up and realize the years have gone by but you've stood still. This was me for years. Don't let it be you! Get moving!!!
3. Read, a lot.
I know a lot of people. The ones that read are miles ahead of the ones that don't. What else can I say? From ages 18 to 28 I read maybe 10 books. From 28 to 30 I read over 100. I can't even begin to describe the difference this made for me.
Read. Listen. Expose yourself to new information in whatever way is effective for you. Just know that there's something special about reading. Your subconscious mind creates a world with the information thus making reading super effective. TV and Audio is good but your brain is much less active during these activities.
4. Be a Good Person
Good people are more successful than bad people. This might sound silly but it's true. Write a paragraph about what makes a really good person then make it your mission to be like that.
If you automatically consider other people and go out of your way to make their lives better, money will magically find its way into your pocket. It's magic. Did I say that already?
5. Get Uncomfortable
The first time you drive on the freeway it's really scary. Cars are moving fast and the stakes are high. If you mess up, you're dead. It's quite uncomfortable, no?
After a couple hundred times driving on the freeway it's just not a big deal, right? You can do it in your sleep, almost... Why do you think that is? Did driving get any easier? Or, did you just get better?
This analogy can relate to anything in life. If you are always comfortable, it means you are never getting better at anything. If you want to grow and become a better person, you have to expose yourself to situations that make you uncomfortable.
I've learned to notice when I'm getting too comfortable. That's usually the time I pack my bags and head somewhere I've never been or look for a situation that scares me. I can't even tell you how much I've grown since I realized this.
Well, thank you for reading my short progress story. I hope you found something valuable to take away and use in your own journey.

If you have any questions, ask away. I've got nothing to hide and am happy to be as transparent as possible to help others like myself who just need to see someone else do it to give them the courage to follow suit.
I really enjoyed reading this post, very well written and resonated with me, I'm just getting started after reading both MJ books, both of which were a nice much-needed slap in the face. My biggest obstacle is changing the mindset and I would have never guessed.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Update Time!

I want to cap this thread off as I feel like this chapter of my life has come to a close and I'm entering a new one. The next time I log progress it will be in a new thread and about a new adventure.

I created this progress thread near the beginning of the year and I want to clear some things up for everyone so people who are considering the path I've been on can assess it for what it really is and not get googly eyes.

The title of this thread suggests that I make 12k/mo all the time. That is not the case. When I created this thread I was averaging 12k/mo for 4 months. Some of those deals were to span the rest of the year so that 12k/mo is sales, not money going directly into my bank account. Getting all of that money requires fulfilling the obligations, which I mostly have done at this point.

So, by the end of March, I had sold something like 47k for the year. 12k/mo was an estimate...

The reason I bring this up is because my average at this point in the year is something like 8k/mo. The reason it's gone down is that in April I embarked on a 3-4 month trip through Asia. Despite big huge grand plans of working full time and enjoying everything, these places have to offer I spent most of my time playing and not very much time working. Why? Because I could...

The whole time I was gone I sold about 5k in new projects and focused on completing the jobs I had.

I probably averaged 15 hours of work per week the whole time. I also missed about 35 leads due to being in the wrong time zone and not paying close enough attention. In a nutshell, I just wasn't that focused on growing the business.

I am disclosing all this because I don't want people to think I'm some tourist that plays all the time and makes shit loads of money. My income is directly related to how much time I put in. There are aspects of my company I get paid for no matter what, but for the most part, I have to put in the time to earn money.

My aim for the future of this company is to focus on monthly retainers and less on one-off contracts. Don't get me wrong, I will be doing both, but the monthly subscription model is great for keeping things steady and scaling.

It not only allows my company to be more stable but as a marketing company, we can provide better long-term results if we are involved steadily over time. Marketing is an iterative process so to get serious results, you have to be doing --> measuring --> analyzing --> improving.

On the monthly retainer side, we bring in about 3k per month now in a very automatic way that only requires a couple of hours of my time per week. I'll be going into this in more detail in my next progress thread. This steady income is the main reason why I took my foot off the gas to enjoy free time.

To finish this off, here are some lessons I've learned since my last post:

1. Customer Experience is the most important part of my business
I run a generalist marketing agency that works with lots of different customers in various industries. It can be difficult to prioritize that which is most important when it comes to focus. That's why I've adopted the core principle behind Amazon: Customer experience first.

In my agency, it's always the top priority to produce a great product/service in the littlest amount of time possible while keeping communications clear and transparent so the customer always knows what's going on and what is being produced.

Every single thing we do is preceded by the question: Does this improve the experience our customer has in working with us? If the answer is no, it gets pushed down the list.

My philosophy is that if we can be great at this, then the other things don't matter as much or at all.

2. Measuring is critical
I don't just mean using Google Analytics or keeping track of finances. I'm talking about everything. Identifying metrics to measure all aspects of the business process is super important if you are trying to systemize everything.

If you do everything the same way every time and measure the results, you can make small changes and adjustments to the systems and measure whether or not they were improvements. As my business grows and I bring in more team members, measuring becomes even more important. If I don't provide clear expectations and ways to measure results, nobody knows how well they are doing.

3. Patience is necessary
I'm an impatient person. I want everything now. If feedback lags, I get bored and abandon objectives. This is something I'm still learning how to cope with. I've realized that I need to take a longer-term perspective of my business while maintaining the ground-level day to day management. It's like having two pairs of glasses for seeing close and far away.

It will have been 2 years tomorrow since I registered my business. When I look back I can see more progress than any other time in my life. When I look forward, I see a looooong ways to go. I'm figuring out that I need to settle in for the long haul if I want to be as successful as I'm capable of being.

4. Principles --> Prioritization
I've started to adopt principles that guide the actions of myself and my team. Principle one is customer experience comes first. Principle two is sales comes after customer experience.

Prioritization is a real challenge for me personally. My brain likes to go go go and when my list of things to do gets long, I struggle knowing what to work on first. This is where the principles come in. For example:

Priority 1 - client work and delivery of goods and services (Customer experience)
Priority 2 - Acquiring more customers and upselling current ones (Sales)
Priority 3 - Business Administration (Overhead)

I've started to organize my tasks by these categories so even when there are 100 things on the list, I can see what tasks align with what principles in order to guide my priorities. As my team grows, this will become critical to staying on the right track.

Last but not least...

5. If it's important, then do it every day
You've heard it before: The cobbler's children have no shoes. Well, as a marketing company this is an easy trap to fall in to.

I've slacked on my own marketing and it shows by producing an inconsistent flow of new leads. It also doesn't help sell marketing when you aren't practicing what you preach.

Here's a tip for newbies: Do marketing for yourself first. When it's successful, then you have evidence you are capable of producing results.

The point is simple: Someone in the business must be focusing steadily on sales, marketing, admin, etc. All of these pieces are critical. Since I'm the main person running this business, I have to wear all of these hats and on a daily basis.

I started blocking my calendar for these tasks every day. It works better like this because that way none of these things ever hit the back burner. If you take your foot off the gas in any of these areas for too long, then it takes 100x more work to catch back up, if you even can...

This ties in nicely with the patience idea. Now that I am really settling in for the long haul and thinking longer term, I see how a little progress in each of these areas each day will add up to huge results over time. That's the... what do you call it?.. oh yea, the process!

From here on out I am really putting my serious hat on. I am finished traveling for months at a time and have a home base in Spokane, Washington. I have some ideas on markets I want to go after and am implementing a plan to test them and see which one has the most potential before I sharpen my spear and catch me a whale.

I'll surely be creating a thread on that soon.

If you have any questions, shoot! I'm an open book.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.