The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A 14 Year Old Who's Life Seems Bleak, But Won't Give Up.

SturdySteel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 22, 2019
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is my intro!

I'll admit, my life so far has been far from comfortable cruising. I am 14 years of age, but I have had to deal with hellish circumstances many times. For instance, my religious parents have tried to get me circumcised against my will - stood my ground and they failed, yet I suspect they'll try again and again. They usually throw the usual threats at me of 'eternal punishment' etc, and since I am a closeted atheist, you can guess I am on constant guard. However my testing circumstances have taught me a very key lesson - and that lesson was the fact that as long as I am financially reliant on someone else, I will never chart and control my own life - I will forever be a pawn. Now, I am a 'gifted & talented' student, usually get straight A's, and therefore, the Universities and the usual 9-5 employers come in and try to convince me and fellow students to 'go to University, get a good job, retire at 65' - Fastlaners have probably heard this trash before. As I have mentioned earlier, I wish to control my life, working 9-5 jobs, 40-80 hours a week for some 40 odd years is certainly not the way. As MJ said in his book, Millionaire Fastlane - which I have started reading (130 pages in after 2 days) - 'Being rich in a wheelchair' is no one's dream destination, certainly not mine.

"How did you get to this place, SturdySteel?"

I will admit, it was by chance that I walked into a bookstore, UK folks will know this chain, WHSmith. Now, I was there to buy some stationary and folders, however I stumbled into the financial section of the store, and the first book I picked up there was the '4 Hour Work Week' by Tim Ferris - now I have heard many Fastlaners are not particularly fond of that book, but quite frankly, I don't care. The idea of not being a wage slave, of not working for 40-50 years and retiring when you're old, tired and only 10-20 years away from a crippling disease or condition which renders you senile - that was shocking and fascinating at the same time. I delved further into what seemed like a gold mine. Now, I will also admit I was a gullible fool for a few days, you know the gurus who say 'do this, follow your passion' etc, yeah that was the trash I nearly believed in. Then I checked out the videos of Dan Lok, Ryan Scribner and Clark Kegley on YouTube. Among the videos they posted, I learned the concepts of passive income, scaling businesses and more - but I also found some book review videos. It was from there I found MJs book, 'The Millionaire Fastlane ', and promptly ordered it after reading it's 70 page preview on Google Books. The same day, I also ordered 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill, after a similar process of finding and reading it's preview. From there, Amazon's delivery service got it to my house, and I immediately started reading. So far it's been 2 and a half days of me reading 'Millionaire Fastlane ', and it has honestly opened my eyes further than I could have ever imagined. You see, before I planned on being a sort of middleman, buying cheap goods from Alibaba, selling onwards to Amazon customers at a nice profit - and some other FBA stuff. Now I see my path to success as giving value to the world, however I am stuck for ideas and products I could improve. Then I watched MJ's video where he discusses 'typing "I hate" into Twitter and finding a whole list of results of people nagging, bit**ing etc.'

"What are you planning on doing?"

To be frank, the plan is to not end up a broke, hopeless sidewalker or slowlaner. I will focus on learning some skills like coding and copywriting; any high income skills I could use for hustling and earning extra income. I will likely get a job, but I won't sacrifice my time/life for someone else's gain - I will use the income I make to create a scalelable business which will provide me with passive income so I can pursue what I wish to do in life. I am into politics and public service/duty, however I know all too well that what wins elections, and what makes politics roll in general is money and special interests - so I won't delude myself into thinking I can do anything and succeed - as the motivational speakers and gurus say. You only have one life, so you must take advantage of all the opportunities you can get. Medium term wise, I plan on ensuring I am financially independent to the point where I can GTFO from my not so pleasant family and not be beholden to anyone or rely on foodbanks to survive. Life is harsh, and I won't complain - it weeds out the weak and forces us to be innovative and financially savvy.

That's it for now, may I also add, any advice is welcome - also many thanks to MJ DeMarco for creating this forum, and for enlightening me via his book 'Millionaire Fastlane '!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
Welcome to the forum, due to forum rules on religion, we can just say I grew up in a similar situation to you and I turned out just fine, and over the course of 6 years or so, my parents learned that I was forging a different path and that was ok.

You're basically still a baby in terms of what you've experienced and you have a lot of things to learn. Take the time now to develop skills that will help you in the future. As soon as you turn 18, you're free to do whatever you want, unless its a lower age in the UK. Keep your head down and work towards bettering yourself.

You are far, far ahead of the game.

Stick around on the forum, it'll change your life if you let it.

Tubs

Starting fresh
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 5, 2019
VA
Good luck bro. bit of advice, build good work habits now. Go read 'Deep Work' by Cal Newport. It'll teach you how to tackle challenging work in less time and will give you a competitive edge against people who don't know how to work deeply.

Other than that I'd recommend trying to build up some cash, maybe go mow some lawns, get a paper route, walk peoples dogs, etc... The more cash you have saved, the easier it is to move out and start a business when you're finally old enough to.

SturdySteel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 22, 2019
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, due to forum rules on religion, we can just say I grew up in a similar situation to you and I turned out just fine, and over the course of 6 years or so, my parents learned that I was forging a different path and that was ok.

You're basically still a baby in terms of what you've experienced and you have a lot of things to learn. Take the time now to develop skills that will help you in the future. As soon as you turn 18, you're free to do whatever you want, unless its a lower age in the UK. Keep your head down and work towards bettering yourself.

You are far, far ahead of the game.

Stick around on the forum, it'll change your life if you let it.

Ravens_Shadow, thank you for the kind words, do you have any skills in mind?
- And thank you to Tubs and Neng Her for kind words and advice too :)

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
What an interesting intro! I am living proof that it is possible to succeed without a formal education, and from the fluency of your introduction I see great possibilities for you.

My starting point in business, apart from my small scale venture at the age of 8 and another at the age of 12, was when I worked as a sales representative for a highly specialized industrial chemical manufacturer. This taught me how to solve complex manufacturing problems, which knowledge I was able to put to great use in my own business.

You can read the full story here :
Walter Hay, Imp/Export Extraordinaire (Vandalay Industries)
Getting a job at your age will not be easy due to labor laws and age discrimination, but not that I am suggesting you do anything illegal, there might be a way you can give the impression of being older.

For me, some deception (and sometimes worse), was a matter of survival. If you can do without deception, so much the better.

Best wishes,
Walter

SturdySteel

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Apr 22, 2019
United Kingdom
What an interesting intro! I am living proof that it is possible to succeed without a formal education, and from the fluency of your introduction I see great possibilities for you.

My starting point in business, apart from my small scale venture at the age of 8 and another at the age of 12, was when I worked as a sales representative for a highly specialized industrial chemical manufacturer. This taught me how to solve complex manufacturing problems, which knowledge I was able to put to great use in my own business.

You can read the full story here :
Walter Hay, Imp/Export Extraordinaire (Vandalay Industries)
Getting a job at your age will not be easy due to labor laws and age discrimination, but not that I am suggesting you do anything illegal, there might be a way you can give the impression of being older.

For me, some deception (and sometimes worse), was a matter of survival. If you can do without deception, so much the better.

Best wishes,
Walter

Please don't take this as a cheesy comment, but I have read your post - I believe the one where you mention selling goods to old ladies and slowly increasing the cost as demand outstripped supply. I look up to you as a mentor, as I'm sure many of the people here in the forum do. Thank you so much - and I will aim to learn from you! :)
@Walter Hay

Last edited:

Ernman

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Feb 8, 2019
Florida, USA
Welcome to the forum SturdySteel. As already noted, you've started early on this adventure, so enjoy and learn all you can. Some folks are blessed at a young age with a dream of what they want or will become. Some need to gain many experiences before they find out. Regardless, life is a wonderful adventure and Fastlane is all about the journey. You'll find a ton of great knowledge shared in these many threads.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thank you for the intro, hard to believe you are just 14 years old. It reads as if you were 10 years older with a lot more war stories.

Welcome aboard my friend.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

I'll admit, my life so far has been far from comfortable cruising. I am 14 years of age, but I have had to deal with hellish circumstances many times. For instance, my religious parents have tried to get me circumcised against my will - stood my ground and they failed, yet I suspect they'll try again and again. They usually throw the usual threats at me of 'eternal punishment' etc, and since I am a closeted atheist, you can guess I am on constant guard. However my testing circumstances have taught me a very key lesson - and that lesson was the fact that as long as I am financially reliant on someone else, I will never chart and control my own life - I will forever be a pawn. Now, I am a 'gifted & talented' student, usually get straight A's, and therefore, the Universities and the usual 9-5 employers come in and try to convince me and fellow students to 'go to University, get a good job, retire at 65' - Fastlaners have probably heard this trash before. As I have mentioned earlier, I wish to control my life, working 9-5 jobs, 40-80 hours a week for some 40 odd years is certainly not the way. As MJ said in his book, Millionaire Fastlane - which I have started reading (130 pages in after 2 days) - 'Being rich in a wheelchair' is no one's dream destination, certainly not mine.

I will admit, it was by chance that I walked into a bookstore, UK folks will know this chain, WHSmith. Now, I was there to buy some stationary and folders, however I stumbled into the financial section of the store, and the first book I picked up there was the '4 Hour Work Week' by Tim Ferris - now I have heard many Fastlaners are not particularly fond of that book, but quite frankly, I don't care. The idea of not being a wage slave, of not working for 40-50 years and retiring when you're old, tired and only 10-20 years away from a crippling disease or condition which renders you senile - that was shocking and fascinating at the same time. I delved further into what seemed like a gold mine. Now, I will also admit I was a gullible fool for a few days, you know the gurus who say 'do this, follow your passion' etc, yeah that was the trash I nearly believed in. Then I checked out the videos of Dan Lok, Ryan Scribner and Clark Kegley on YouTube. Among the videos they posted, I learned the concepts of passive income, scaling businesses and more - but I also found some book review videos. It was from there I found MJs book, 'The Millionaire Fastlane ', and promptly ordered it after reading it's 70 page preview on Google Books. The same day, I also ordered 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napoleon Hill, after a similar process of finding and reading it's preview. From there, Amazon's delivery service got it to my house, and I immediately started reading. So far it's been 2 and a half days of me reading 'Millionaire Fastlane ', and it has honestly opened my eyes further than I could have ever imagined. You see, before I planned on being a sort of middleman, buying cheap goods from Alibaba, selling onwards to Amazon customers at a nice profit - and some other FBA stuff. Now I see my path to success as giving value to the world, however I am stuck for ideas and products I could improve. Then I watched MJ's video where he discusses 'typing "I hate" into Twitter and finding a whole list of results of people nagging, bit**ing etc.'

To be frank, the plan is to not end up a broke, hopeless sidewalker or slowlaner. I will focus on learning some skills like coding and copywriting; any high income skills I could use for hustling and earning extra income. I will likely get a job, but I won't sacrifice my time/life for someone else's gain - I will use the income I make to create a scalelable business which will provide me with passive income so I can pursue what I wish to do in life. I am into politics and public service/duty, however I know all too well that what wins elections, and what makes politics roll in general is money and special interests - so I won't delude myself into thinking I can do anything and succeed - as the motivational speakers and gurus say. You only have one life, so you must take advantage of all the opportunities you can get. Medium term wise, I plan on ensuring I am financially independent to the point where I can GTFO from my not so pleasant family and not be beholden to anyone or rely on foodbanks to survive. Life is harsh, and I won't complain - it weeds out the weak and forces us to be innovative and financially savvy.

That's it for now, may I also add, any advice is welcome - also many thanks to MJ DeMarco for creating this forum, and for enlightening me via his book 'Millionaire Fastlane '!

Wow! I'm so pumped reading this...

When I read TMFF I remember wishing that I was somewhere between 14 and 18, knowing that I would be laughing by the time I was 25-30.

Anyway, I've tried turning my friends' children onto this book, I've bought about 3 or 4 copies and nobody has shown as much enthusiasm as you.

To be honest, I'm humbled by your intro, and at this point don't really feel like I could give you any specific advice that is going to get you further along the road.

I hear what you're saying about the religious family though, there's not much you can do about that apart from saying stuff like "I'm sure god will forgive me... etc. etc."

Also stay away from the Skunk, that shit will ruin your ambition and turn your brain to mush. Just remember all of those peers who are pressuring you to smoke now, will end up with crap scripted jobs whilst you enjoy the fruits of your business(es).

Good luck, and please keep us posted as to your efforts.

PS if you ever feel you want to chat one atheist to another, hit me up on DM :)

Isaac Oh

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
241%
Jun 14, 2017
Berkeley, CA

WTF? Are you really 14??
Boy, are you really ahead of the curve.

Welcome to the forum!

Not everyone is blessed to have the education you have and not everyone is lucky enough to have had the opportunity to be exposed to the wisdom you've been.

Be humble. It's something I definitely struggle with still.
Though it may not seem like so sometimes, and their methods might not always make sense, your parents love you and care for you. (Not to say that they will always be right. I wouldn't get circumcised lol...)

Best of luck and see you around!

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

That's it for now, may I also add, any advice is welcome - also many thanks to MJ DeMarco for creating this forum, and for enlightening me via his book 'Millionaire Fastlane '![/Q

Welcome to the forum. You seem very brilliant for a 14 year old. I believe you're headed in the right direction. I believe many of us have been in a similar situation. We all have different beliefs, theories, concepts, and ideas. This is what makes us unique. If you have your long-term goals right now, I'm sure you will do just fine in the future.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...