The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The biggest lie that you believed for most of your life?

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
That great things in the world were made by special kinds of people.

The truth is, great things were created in this world by people no smarter than you or me.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Soder

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
511%
Jan 3, 2019
- The key to success and wealth is talent.
- To make money you need money.
- Process? What process? The important thing is the idea.

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
Work hard and let things happen on their own, trust in god/family it will all work out. This cost me big, in that I followed this for a solid 12 years.

Appdeveloper

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Jan 4, 2020
That whatever will happen in your life and future is already decided. It's your destiny and your fate and you can't change it.

The biggest lie to date.

when I heard that you are the only one who is responsible for wherever you are and that you are the only one who controls your life and your future. It truly shocked me.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
"If you get that piece of paper you are guaranteed a job with the government...That is how you make it"
"Working for the government is the best job you can ever have"

*COUGH*Sequestration*COUGH*

Working for the gov is the best job you can have.

It's the only career where you legally get away with theft and murder amognst other crimes and making well into the mid 6 figure range.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
A good FICO score is a prerequisite to success. I don't hear truly successful people yelling about how you need a good credit score to be successful. I don't know why broke, wage slaves seem to worship the "all mighty FICO". Maybe because they want loans for more things they cant afford.

"You need to get a good job with benefits" What is it with "normies" being so damn obsessed with health insurance? I get it, here in America it's expensive, but what are the ACTUAL benefits of working a 9-5 forever just to have your cushy "benefits"? There aren't many. I'd take freedom and a big health insurance bill, over cubicle prisons and a cheap monthly rate. It's dumb to stay at a shitty job just for the "benefits"

Trades are an inferior career path. Okay, I haven't heard anyone say THAT exact phrase, but it's certainly implied in America. As we've all seen with this government intervention due to the pandemic, A lot of jobs have disappeared over night. It turns out a lot of these middle management jobs just aren't necessary during a downtrodden economy. But builders, tradesmen, barbers and beauticians are all still in demand. People will always need haircuts, things made and things fixed. And the people who know those skills will always be in demand.

You need to get married and do it young. Marriage is a big risk for men nowadays. And a lot of young guys walk into a marriage at 23, and at 40 are divorced. Besides the obvious emotional trauma, there is the real world trauma of losing your house, kids, and half of your money and stuff. I'm not against marriage, But I'm against young naive men walking into the slaughter house without even knowing. It's an important decision, don't make it hastily and without consideration.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

"If you want it bad enough..." - wanting something does not get you any closer to having it. You have to go get it if you don't have it already.

"Some people are naturally gifted" - there is a tiny sliver of truth to this, but most talented people can only ride on their talent in the amateur leagues. The big leagues require much more than talent. And you can get there even if you don't have a knack for it on day 1 through perseverance and practice.

"Rich people all inherited their wealth" - really dumb considering that someone had to make the wealth to begin with. Also can't even count the number of kids I met in college with rich parents who are on the fast track to being broke and addicted to drugs. Most people who inherit money lose it all by the 2nd or 3rd generation.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
"Scientists find the truth." - Noooo. Scientists are human beings and publish whatever will save their funding.

I also used to be somewhat sure I was "destined for greatness". Narcissistic idiocy.

"A woman makes you complete." - Nooooo. Neither do men make women complete. You can only complete yourself.

"One day I'm gonna have THE idea of ideas and then everything will fall into place." - Nothing could be further from the truth. But it's a really comfortable lie. You'll never have to execute on anything, and of course, even if the idea is finally THE one, it will just execute itself.

Ivan2BAlive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 24, 2017
Louisville, KY
1.) That you need a college degree to become successful.
2.) You don't need to learn anymore after you graduate college.
3.) You need to be ruthless, mean and greedy to become rich.
4.) Good things come for those who wait (50 years old now, still waiting :))
5.) Do what you love and follow your passion.

blueyedgibson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 19, 2019
California
  1. That men are supposed to go out and get a decent blue collar job while women stay home and cook, clean raise kids etc.
  2. That rich people are either born into wealth or are really lucky.
  3. That things in life are the way they are, deal with it. (Influenced by fixed mindset individuals, not many people around me had a growth mindset.)

chigga102

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
May 24, 2013
Biggest lie: "Knowledge is power".

Reality: "Relevant and applied knowledge is power".
Yup. This is the same for me. My biggest lie was being smart meant knowing a lot of information, even if it was useless to me. Now I realize that being smart means being able to use knowledge to solve the problems you want to solve.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
1+1=3 because the society says so, or the celeb says so or the guru says so...

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
That the world is full of stupid people because said people don't understand art, science, etc. in depth.

That people interested in simple subjects are necessarily shallow and not worth knowing. That sales and marketing are "low" professions.

That the world is full of selfish people because most don't care about a particular issue.

That people who passionately care a particular issue are the most open-minded ones.

That being critical is a good thing and that everyone needs a detailed critique of their way of living so they can improve themselves.

That acquiring knowledge is always good, including obscure knowledge about history or philosophy that I am never going to use (similar to "knowledge is power" mentioned by others).

That being "practical" is bad.

That those who focus on being personally successful are necessarily mediocre and are doomed to fail.

That the world is a meritocracy.

That even if the world is not fully a meritocracy, I deserve a high enough place in this meritocracy just because I can articular good reasons for it.

That if I can explain why the world should be a certain way, it will be a certain way.

That the most celebrated people in society — in the art, science, business, politics, military, charitable work, or anything else — got this way by being 100% honest, respecting everyone else's time and generally following the rules: not applying for jobs you aren't qualified for, not taking "irresponsible" risks and so forth.

If your life is a certain way, it means it is your personality, it is best for you, and it should continue to be the same way.

You need good reasons that other people understand to change your life.

Last edited:

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
That the world is full of stupid people because said people don't understand art, science, etc. in depth.

That people interested in simple subjects are necessarily shallow and not worth knowing. That sales and marketing are "low" professions.

That the world is full of selfish people because most don't care about a particular issue.

That people who passionately care a particular issue are the most open-minded ones.

That being critical is a good thing and that everyone needs a detailed critique of their way of living so they can improve themselves.

That acquiring knowledge is always good, including obscure knowledge about history or philosophy that I am never going to use (similar to "knowledge is power" mentioned by others).

That those who focus on being personally successful are necessarily mediocre and are doomed to fail.

That even if the world is not fully a meritocracy, I deserve a high enough place in this meritocracy just because I can articular good reasons for it.

That if I can explain why the world should be a certain way, it will be a certain way.

That the most celebrated people in society — in the art, science, business, politics, military, charitable work, or anything else — got this way by being 100% honest, respecting everyone else's time and generally following the rules: not applying for jobs you aren't qualified for, not taking "irresponsible" risks and so forth.

If your life is a certain way, it means it is your personality, it is best for you, and it should continue to be the same way.

It is meritocratic not in the way people expect.

Many times people give you the opportunity not because you are the best fit, but because that is in their best interest.

Unless you are a crazy genius like Steve Jobs or Einstein, it is always good to be a generous , helpful and likable.

Hunter Biden had some crazy deals falling in right place for him because of his Dad (A nobody at the start) hustling for decades in politics too. It is meritocratic by bloodline. Your dad helped me Ten years ago and it is time to help you back-fact of life and get used to it.

FierceRacoon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 1, 2019
A good FICO score is a prerequisite to success. I don't hear truly successful people yelling about how you need a good credit score to be successful. I don't know why broke, wage slaves seem to worship the "all mighty FICO". Maybe because they want loans for more things they cant afford.
The FICO corporation itself pushes the personal responsibility narrative, as do some other players in the space. It is necessary for them as otherwise it looks like FICO just discriminates against people who were born into the lower class, people who were born into certain regions of the country, and by proxy even certain races or nationalities.

The banks and other lenders push the narrative because they need people to repay their debts — we all do, as otherwise banks will collapse and will not be able to serve us.

Access to credit — and to banking generally — is a huge issue, and it is harder to become "truly successful" if you don't have access to at least basic credit cards, as more of your time and money is consumed by what other people are taking for granted.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
Biggest lie I heard: you need to win the lottery or be a thief to get rich. Not surprisingly, the sources never made money.

axelle99

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 23, 2020
aller à l'école trouver un bon travaille qui paye 5000 $
retourner dans mon pays la cote d'ivoire et fanfaronner pendant les vacance
retourner en France avoir ma belle petite retraite avec une épargne conséquente et commencer à investir à 65 ans mdr ...

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Your comment is my favorite on here.

I really like the part about how the most celebrated people got there by being 100% honest, genuine, perfect people... because that is a HUGE lie that we hear constantly.

As if all of the Billboard 100 are the most talented singers in the world... they aren't!

They're the best marketed, they have good products, they sell well, and they work on it. They are a business.

The thing about Ellen running her workers like some kind of 19th century factory really was eye-opening to this concept. That's the hidden reality. Everything is work, and behind the curtain, it's not always sunshine.

"Oh you're not famous? You must not be [talented, genuine, honest, kind, special, unique, blah blah] enough, sorry"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.