The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How do I learn copywriting as a teen?

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Now I truly understand my mindset is flawed as F*ck. But Im still lost
Great, now we have some progress, acknowledging the problem is the first step to solve it!

Now
  1. Embrace that the process won't be easy. It might be fast, but fast is a few years (months if lucky), not tomorrow.
  2. Listen to all the bits of advice from other people in your threads. Many of them achieved something and spent their time to help you, value that.
  3. Read The "Astonishing Secrets" Thread and other mindset threads here.
  4. I highly recommend reading the Unscripted by MJ DeMarco. It's probably not like any other books on "making money" that you've read before. No mental masturbation, straight truth, strong kicks to take action. If you don't have money to buy it, at least watch his youtube channel
  5. After that, you should have many ideas on the best ways to provide value to other people. Feel free to discuss them here and choose what fits you.
Don't give up and Good Luck again ;)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
View attachment 24424
Any of the other two would be better:
making - doing something to achieve results, the process
money - merely an outcome, a measure of your value
online - freedom, a way out from the mentality of people in place you live, ability to connect with successful people
This graphic is the greatest thing ever. Thank you for contributing my new phone background! haha

hoponthebop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Apr 16, 2019
Great, now we have some progress, acknowledging the problem is the first step to solve it!

Now
  1. Embrace that the process won't be easy. It might be fast, but fast is a few years (months if lucky), not tomorrow.
  2. Listen to all the bits of advice from other people in your threads. Many of them achieved something and spent their time to help you, value that.
  4. I highly recommend reading the Unscripted by MJ DeMarco. It's probably not like any other books on "making money" that you've read before. No mental masturbation, straight truth, strong kicks to take action. If you don't have money to buy it, at least watch his youtube channel
  5. After that, you should have many ideas on the best ways to provide value to other people. Feel free to discuss them here and choose what fits you.

Thanks for the help man :)

Btw I just saw you are from Ukraine так что спасибо братуха!

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
I'm currently in the same boat as you at the age of 14, I've read the books (Cashvertising and The Adweek Copywriting Handbook) and I'm currently doing web design for other businesses highlighted in Fox's thread. I can definitely say that working with other businesses and trying to get a sale has been particularly useful, I've read Jordan Belfort's Way of The Wolf and I am currently making a script to assist me in my cold calls. I believe you must listen to the advice the other forum members have to say as they are much more experienced than both of us, with the idea of earning money aside, I think the best thing we can do now is to just learn, put it to use and gather experience.

Last edited:

hoponthebop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Apr 16, 2019
I'm currently in the same boat as you at the age of 14, I've read the books (Cashvertising and The Adweek Copywriting Handbook) and I'm currently trying to do web design for other businesses highlighted in Fox's thread. I can definitely say that working with other businesses and trying to get a sale has been particularly useful, I've read Jordan Belfort's Way of The Wolf and I am currently making a script to assist me in my cold calls. I believe you must listen to the advice the other forum members have to say as they are much more experienced than both of us.

I wish I started learning stuff when I was 14 (but I would rather procrastinate by reading success stories at that age to be honest).

I will listen to every piece of advice I get here

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What happens if you change the wording?

“make money online”

vs

“earn money online”

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
I've been against doing this myself because I felt like a crook. "This is so easy, I can't charge people for that".

I should rethink my past decisions.

It isnt easy; it is just simple. It is technology and there are always problems you have to troubleshoot. There is also SEO which is challenging.

For those interested, Astra, Phlox, and OceanWP are all free themes that have full demos you can import. They are premium quality too. They have premium versions but I have built sites using nothing but the free features. I built a full website for a business with the cost of a domain and hosting plus my labor

hoponthebop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Apr 16, 2019

Now

I just read the astonishing secrets thread and the guy who wrote it focuses on a copywriting! Is that somethhing I should do myself?
What happens if you change the wording?

“make money online”

vs

“earn money online”

I mean the meaning is still the same right?

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
I mean the meaning is still the same right?
earn - obtain (money) in return for labour or services.
make - form (something) by putting parts together or combining substances; create.
Source: Google Dictionary.

Pretty similar, but I guess earn has an accent on putting and effort and deserving it in return, while make is more like "create".

P.S. Not easy to tell the difference without fluent English.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
629%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Copywriting is a cliche that just means to convince someone as a writer. You write the copy. Copy = stuff people read in any form of advertising.

To make money writing copy there must be someone to sell to and something to sell them. If you work for someone else they will rely on your skills of writing to sell their product or service to a group of people. The product or service being sold and getting the people to be sold to in front of that copy will be a responsibility of the person you work for. You don't want a copywriting job.

If you work for yourself writing copy, there are only two ways to do it for yourself.

1. Have a business that performs copywriting services for different people with their own businesses (many marketing firms offer these services so you would be acting as a marketing firm).

2. Write your own copy for your own product or service for your own audience to sell them something.

Saying "I think I should get into copywriting" makes it sound like you just heard it somewhere as a buzzword and you don't really understand it. It's a slice of the "selling stuff to people" pie. It's a bit similar to saying "I'm going to get into cold calling". Cold calling who? Selling them what? Are you going to open up a call center? Likewise, who are you writing copy for? Who are you selling to? What are you selling? How are you getting their attention in the first place? These are much more important questions to answer.

As a business owner trying to grow, I am a copywriter, a salesman, a web developer, a designer, a manager, a mechanic, a worker, a marketer, a secretary, and my own consultant.

If I was 17 again I would focus on being the best looking, most charismatic, charming guy I could be. I'd read 5 sales books 10 times over. When I turned 18 I would waltz into any place offering a high end sales job, find a manager and tell them I'll be their best damn salesman they've ever had and I'm sure if you look the part you'd get a great job. Use that money to save up, move out, get a small place and save the rest of your money to start a business.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Since you are at the very least, bi-lingual, why dont you do some English to Portuguese or Portuguese to English transcription and translation.

hoponthebop

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Apr 16, 2019
Since you are at the very least, bi-lingual, why dont you do some English to Portuguese or Portuguese to English transcription and translation.

Damn I've never thought of it. I know like 5 languages (romanian, russian, english, portuguese and french) I could freelance it! I mean I did translations like 3years ago but I found it boring and I did it for a relative

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Saying "I think I should get into copywriting" makes it sound like you just heard it somewhere as a buzzword and you don't really understand it. It's a slice of the "selling stuff to people" pie. It's a bit similar to saying "I'm going to get into cold calling". Cold calling who? Selling them what? Are you going to open up a call center? Likewise, who are you writing copy for? Who are you selling to? What are you selling? How are you getting their attention in the first place? These are much more important questions to answer.

If I was 17 again I would focus on being the best looking, most charismatic, charming guy I could be. I'd read 5 sales books 10 times over. When I turned 18 I would waltz into any place offering a high end sales job, find a manager and tell them I'll be their best damn salesman they've ever had and I'm sure if you look the part you'd get a great job. Use that money to save up, move out, get a small place and save the rest of your money to start a business.

Your whole post was good but I think these two points need to be stressed. It does sound like OP just saw an article talking about how in-demand copywriting is and how profitable it can be so decided it was something worth pursuing. This is fine if you have some base skills to build on or job experience. But, OP doesnt sound like he knows what copywriting truly is which is again fine, our knowledge starts somewhere. But, it sounds like he is trying to skip lots of steps.

I was winning awards in high school for business papers I wrote including a state championship. Even then, I would have not been a good copywriter because I had no real world experience.

I think your final paragraph sums it up. However, making money online is still possible. I would stress my previous point about flipping on eBay and other 3rd party seller platforms. All you need is a camera, some stuff to sell, and the ability to describe it. The act of describing and polishing your listings will give you some base for copywriting. You will be learning to sell.

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Damn I've never thought of it. I know like 5 languages (romanian, russian, english, portuguese and french) I could freelance it! I mean I did translations like 3years ago but I found it boring and I did it for a relative

Screw copywriting. That is a jackpot. You can do closed captioning for TV, translating textbooks and other books, and business docs.

Get on Fiverr and Upwork. You can get loads of jobs. Watch Lex's Upwork videos and get rolling. You can probably learn copywriting by paying attention to what you transcribe as well.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Screw copywriting. That is a jackpot. You can do closed captioning for TV, translating textbooks and other books, and business docs.

Get on Fiverr and Upwork. You can get loads of jobs. Watch Lex's Upwork videos and get rolling. You can probably learn copywriting by paying attention to what you transcribe as well.
Freelancing is a viable option for him but keep in mind that he's 17, and most freelancing sites require you to be 18.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I think Google Ads would be easier. Web design would be easier. Social media, SEO, transcription...you name it. All of these can be learned in a relatively short time to get you to levels where you can get the client results they want. They all still require sales though.
Agreed. The thing about learning copywriting is that it teaches you sales. I find that guys on this forum that try to freelance web design or marketing sometimes don't have a sales foundation. So, they don't know how to talk to/negotiate with clients or even have the right offer and pitch.

If I were to tell a beginner what to do, I would say learn copywriting and marketing really well. And they have to actually do the grunt work in the beginning just to get that "hands on" experience.

Since I have been doing copywriting for awhile I am now adding on other skills that complement it. It makes it just so much easier if you have some experience with sales and speaking to actual clients.

Bekit

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Aug 13, 2018
Freelancing is a viable option for him but keep in mind that he's 17, and most freelancing sites require you to be 18.

@hoponthebop I don't think it should matter that Fiverr and Upwork won't allow you to have an account just yet. Here are two alternate approaches:

(Option 1) I just googled "english portuguese transcription" and got 7.7 million results.

Try reaching out to the companies who are offering human transcription service to see if they will hire you. Depending on where they're based, they may not have a restriction against hiring a 17-year-old. You may also be able to be hired by multiple companies at the same time. No, it's not fastlane quite yet, but you will be earning money and gaining a reputation.

Once you get some experience under your belt, you can branch out into other avenues.

(Option 2) Set up your own website and promote your own services through direct outreach to companies that look like they do business with Portuguese-speaking countries. No one will need to know that you're 17.
  • Free way to do it: create your site on one of the free platforms out there. Also, create a Facebook business page.
  • Really cheap way to do it: Create a free wordpress.com site and add your own custom domain so that it looks professional, and no one will know the difference. For like $25 per year, you can be running your own site and advertising your own services. (Here's the full price list for top-level domains on wordpress.com sites.)
  • Standard way to do it: If you have a little bit more money and can pay for your own hosting, then pay for a hosting plan and go the wordpress.org route, but if that's expensive at the moment, you can always switch over to this option later.
Of course, this assumes that someone will be able to pay you. If you have a PayPal account, great! If not, open one. If you can't for some reason, if all else fails, you can always request Western Union or a wire transfer to your bank account (but this is inconvenient and sketchy, so some people won't do it)...

Here's a mindset shift that will help you to get thinking in the right direction.

Instead of thinking, "I need to do XYZ," change it to a question and ask yourself, "How can I accomplish XYZ?" Your brain will become much more creative at thinking of solutions.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
@hoponthebop I don't think it should matter that Fiverr and Upwork won't allow you to have an account just yet. Here are two alternate approaches:

(Option 1) I just googled "english portuguese transcription" and got 7.7 million results.

Try reaching out to the companies who are offering human transcription service to see if they will hire you. Depending on where they're based, they may not have a restriction against hiring a 17-year-old. You may also be able to be hired by multiple companies at the same time. No, it's not fastlane quite yet, but you will be earning money and gaining a reputation.

Once you get some experience under your belt, you can branch out into other avenues.

(Option 2) Set up your own website and promote your own services through direct outreach to companies that look like they do business with Portuguese-speaking countries. No one will need to know that you're 17.
  • Free way to do it: create your site on one of the free platforms out there. Also, create a Facebook business page.
  • Really cheap way to do it: Create a free wordpress.com site and add your own custom domain so that it looks professional, and no one will know the difference. For like $25 per year, you can be running your own site and advertising your own services. (Here's the full price list for top-level domains on wordpress.com sites.)
  • Standard way to do it: If you have a little bit more money and can pay for your own hosting, then pay for a hosting plan and go the wordpress.org route, but if that's expensive at the moment, you can always switch over to this option later.
Of course, this assumes that someone will be able to pay you. If you have a PayPal account, great! If not, open one. If you can't for some reason, if all else fails, you can always request Western Union or a wire transfer to your bank account (but this is inconvenient and sketchy, so some people won't do it)...

Here's a mindset shift that will help you to get thinking in the right direction.

Instead of thinking, "I need to do XYZ," change it to a question and ask yourself, "How can I accomplish XYZ?" Your brain will become much more creative at thinking of solutions.
This is very useful and is the best option right now of you are under 18 but companies like PayPal require you to be at least 18 in order to make an account and they are allowed to close down your account if they find out you're under 18, even if you have funds in the account. This is actually a problem for me right now, so I need to find other suitable choices but the only option I've got right now is to use my parent's PayPal. However, I highly doubt they will allow me to send funds to their account due to the fact that they don't want me starting a business at a young age or before I get a degree.

Readerly

Yes and
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Sep 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon

Cvince

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
May 2, 2019
Toronto
The amount of money you make is determined by the size of the problems you can solve. Figure out which problems you think you can solve, and work from there. You can use social media as a tool to research your ideas. Use it wisely and you can start making money on whatever you set your mind to.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.