The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

leaving 9-5 job

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017
Hello everyone

This is just a general thoughts drop, it's that I feel sad and I hope someone here has been through this before, even though I think most of you haven't.

I do hate my job, I hated it for the past 3 years, which led me to TMF and other books where I were searching for a way out of this 'meaninglessness', ever since I have started saving and trying multiple ventures, most failed and some had very very little success, to be honest I haven't been committed 100% , been "too comfortable" to take anything seriously.

I know I wont succeed in this unless I have no other option and obligated to walk this only path, this in between situation is killing me.

So anyway this is my contract renewal month at this job, and will be my last notice month but strangely I feel sad! this is all I wanted, everyday I dream of quitting and pursuing what I want and now that it's the day I don't feel that great about it. Maybe am scared .... too scared actually

I feel fragile, little, weak and vulnerable and I wish there were some other way to look at this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Another way to look at it: think of all the incredible opportunities out there. By starting out on a new adventure, you're opening the door for better things to take the place of your old job. You'll have to rely solely on yourself to make ends meet. It's a scary thought, but there are a multiple of examples of people that do exactly that on this forum already. If they can, you can as well.

I quit my 9 to 5 last year in December and have no regrets about it. I got out of a toxic situation and have learned more about myself and entrepreneurship in the past 4 months than I have in my entire life combined. Although it's been challenging, it has been the best thing for me.

Time to get to work. ;)

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
Totally natural to feel that way.

Before now, you had a "safety" net with your job to fall back on. Now, you're looking out at the darkness that lies in front of you, and there is no net to catch you. You must build your own net.

Embrace this discomfort, it means you are traveling down the path least traveled.

Here is how you increase your odds of success:

Go help someone.

Don't expect anything in return. Get to know someone, find out their needs. And solve them.

It will be a breath of fresh air to anyone who is approached by "hey, let me help you out" vs. "you need my product. Pay me. Pay me now!"

As always, we are here for you my friend.

-Andy

Himanshu Gajwani

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Apr 9, 2019
Totally natural to feel that way.

Before now, you had a "safety" net with your job to fall back on. Now, you're looking out at the darkness that lies in front of you, and there is no net to catch you. You must build your own net.

Embrace this discomfort, it means you are traveling down the path least traveled.

Here is how you increase your odds of success:

Go help someone.

Don't expect anything in return. Get to know someone, find out their needs. And solve them.

It will be a breath of fresh air to anyone who is approached by "hey, let me help you out" vs. "you need my product. Pay me. Pay me now!"

As always, we are here for you my friend.

-Andy

Well said!

Silverfox148

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone

I feel fragile, little, weak and vulnerable and I wish there were some other way to look at this.

What you are feeling is valid but you need to move forward, try these three steps to get started, in the end only you can find meaning for yourself, but this is a start:

1. Hit the weights/exercise at a level where you are redlining, if you are not already doing so, you need to do something hard and challenge yourself and win against yourself.

2. Only compare progress and achievements against yourself, F*ck everyone else, what you see on the internet, TV, books, all that shit. If you improve just 1% every week after a year you would have improved 52% from your current self. This is important because most of what you see is fake bullshit for marketing/selling angles.

3. Disassociate from your current job, you are not your job it's just a place where you go and work, that said try to add value there also as exercise , see what problems you can solve. Don't get caught up in co-worker bullshit, ignore it.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
quote-we-want-you-not-your-money-as-long-as-you-re-at-fight-club-you-re-not-how-much-money-chuck-palahniuk-47-43-82.jpg

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I know I wont succeed in this unless I have no other option and obligated to walk this only path, this in between situation is killing me.

Where will you get the funds to expand, grow, pay expenses, etc?

I quit my job to do e-commerce full time and I basically traded no time with lots of money for no money and lots of time.

Something that took me a long time to learn was that it's pretty darned hard to live on your business in the growth phase.

If you want the best chance of success, you should expect to pay yourself $0 from the business and re-invest 100% (or more) of the profits into growth. Every dollar you pay yourself (for bills, food, car etc...) is money that could have gone towards a new ad campaign, new product launch, larger re-order to access better pricing, etc...

When I started I though it was easy - if I could make $100 per day in profit I'd be "set". That's $3k per month, which replaces an entry level salary. Then I'd "work up" from there. Sounds easy! That's only selling 5 products with a $20 margin. Damn, a child could do that!!!

Well here's the golden question: If you bring in $200 in revenue, and $100 in profit, but you spend that $100 in profit to live on and use the other $100 to re-order product, how far ahead are you? You aren't ahead. You're stuck in a circle. You only ever make enough in your business to re-order the same amount of product you just sold. If you want to grow you will need to invest more than $0 into growth.

Now imagine you made $200 in revenue, $100 in profit, and you were able to re-order product with the first $100 in revenue and you invested that $100 in profit into a new product? Or larger order? Or better marketing? Where are you now? You're ahead.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, but if you aren't thinking about this stuff before quitting, you really shouldn't be quitting.

SM Switi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Jul 11, 2017

I quit my job to do e-commerce full time and I basically traded no time with lots of money for no money and lots of time.

Something that took me a long time to learn was that it's pretty darned hard to live on your business in the growth phase.

If you want the best chance of success, you should expect to pay yourself $0 from the business and re-invest 100% (or more) of the profits into growth. Every dollar you pay yourself (for bills, food, car etc...) is money that could have gone towards a new ad campaign, new product launch, larger re-order to access better pricing, etc...

When I started I though it was easy - if I could make $100 per day in profit I'd be "set". That's $3k per month, which replaces an entry level salary. Then I'd "work up" from there. Sounds easy! That's only selling 5 products with a $20 margin. Damn, a child could do that!!!

Well here's the golden question: If you bring in $200 in revenue, and $100 in profit, but you spend that $100 in profit to live on and use the other $100 to re-order product, how far ahead are you? You aren't ahead. You're stuck in a circle. You only ever make enough in your business to re-order the same amount of product you just sold. If you want to grow you will need to invest more than $0 into growth.

Now imagine you made $200 in revenue, $100 in profit, and you were able to re-order product with the first $100 in revenue and you invested that $100 in profit into a new product? Or larger order? Or better marketing? Where are you now? You're ahead.

I'm not saying this is the only way to do it, but if you aren't thinking about this stuff before quitting, you really shouldn't be quitting.

Thank you for your insights @JAJT , I have thought about this and no am not intended to live on my business in the growth phase, am actually moving to live back with my parents to cut off any unnecessary expenses at this phase, also I have been saving to be able to cover my main needs for a year or so without a job, so am expecting a year and maybe two with zero personal income and am willing to take that risk.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018

Message to myself and anyone reading this thread: If you haven't quit your job yet please read JAJT's comment, study it and learn from it. Only a real entrepreneur whose gone through the journey knows this stuff.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.