The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Building a website

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
So I want to build a website to promote my product and services but haven't made said product or service yet. Should I wait to build the service and product first and then build the website or do it at the same time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Definitely build the product (prototype) and show it so people that it could help in order to validate the idea; as there's no point making a website for a product people may not want. Or you shoud build a landing page to check if people are interested in the service
  • Like a Sign Up to Our newsletter or Subscribe to Our newsletter to Get Notified When Our Product Launches. If people enter their email, it suggests that they are interested in your product/service.

Adam VanBuskirk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
As mentioned in Unscripted , I would write a simple website (or even a single web page) where people can signup and show their interest in purchasing your product once out. You can then push traffic to it with ads and test your product and market before designing a robust website or product / service.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
As mentioned in Unscripted , I would write a simple website (or even a single web page) where people can signup and show their interest in purchasing your product once out. You can then push traffic to it with ads and test your product and market before designing a robust website or product / service.
Exactly. Idea validation is important as you must always create a product based on the market's mind (a product people want) as you are just wasting time by creating a product that people were never interested in.

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Simple landing page to validate the idea should suffice. Don't forget to put some "stepping stone" there to make sure that people are actually interested. Simple email collection or just "Buy" button leading to some "Coming soon" page would work.

We're currently testing market by looking for open telegram groups with topics related to our potential customers and manually cold-messaging them with some small chat funnel that hopefully makes them think that were also looking for a solution and leading them to our telegram group. The chat takes a few minutes per lead but gives good results so far. Just don't spam them in the face with Ad-spam-looking message ;)

Good luck & have fun!

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Just realized... Are you able to provide your service now without any employees and tools/equipment involved? If so try to sell the service directly to prospects without any kind of website and other kinds of promotion or validation.

This would be the best validation.

And the product can wait.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
Would I have to buy a pr
would I have to buy a premium website builder or should I just purchase a free one and upgrade it once I have a product? How do I even start an email list?

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
Or just download wordpress, buy a domain (~15$ a year) and hosting (~$5 a month), get a builder. I use Divi (100$ a year - worth it) and it has over 100 ready templates, there could even be one for your business.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
If you don't have a product or service then what are you wanting a website for?

Your post reads as if you do not even have one in mind.

Dan

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
Or just download wordpress, buy a domain (~15$ a year) and hosting (~$5 a month), get a builder. I use Divi (100$ a year - worth it) and it has over 100 ready templates, there could even be one for your business.

Wix is way easier for beginners, you could have a wix landing page up in a an hour. While wordpress is superior, there is a bit of a learning curve and even the extra $100 for divi is not needed.

Adam VanBuskirk

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 9, 2019
Cleveland, OH
Would I have to buy a pr

would I have to buy a premium website builder or should I just purchase a free one and upgrade it once I have a product? How do I even start an email list?

I’m a web developer, so I write my sites from scratch. You could use WordPress, but if it was me I would learn a small bit of php, html, css and use jquery. Purchase hosting at dreamhost for like $5 or $10/month. Write a one page sales / sign up page. Use MailCheat(Chimp) for your email list. Up to 1000 emails for free. When someone submits your form, just have the script email you the form fields. Then manually punch them in mail chimp.

I use a mysql db and auto-populate my MailCheat(Chimp) list through an api call in my php Page / signup, but you could do that later if your product testing proves good.

Good luck

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State

100%. I use divi and it's the greatest.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.