The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Back after 8 Years

Share your FTE moment...

Atu

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 23, 2019
I'm coming back to this forum after around 8 years of absence. In the meantime I had two unsuccessful and very educational business attempts (one of them sold and still in existence), a bunch of extremely interesting excursions to most remote places in the world and a few other achievements ;)

I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to all the contributors amd MJ De Marco - without you I would never learn so much.

Currently living in Kirklees, United Kingdom. I will be very happy to greet everyone and maybe even meet some people in person to discuss plans, hopes and build some dreams into solid steel (why not?).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I'm coming back to this forum after around 8 years of absence. In the meantime I had two unsuccessful and very educational business attempts (one of them sold and still in existence), a bunch of extremely interesting excursions to most remote places in the world and a few other achievements ;)

I would like to say a huge THANK YOU to all the contributors amd MJ De Marco - without you I would never learn so much.

Currently living in Kirklees, United Kingdom. I will be very happy to greet everyone and maybe even meet some people in person to discuss plans, hopes and build some dreams into solid steel (why not?).

Welcome back! What was your screen name before?

Atu

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 23, 2019
Welcome back! What was your screen name before?

If I could only remember... My closest guess is Atu_de_Tank, but could not find it on the forum. And thank you for such a fast response.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
If I could only remember... My closest guess is Atu_de_Tank, but could not find it on the forum. And thank you for such a fast response.

Looking forward to seeing your next venture!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Welcome back!

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ

tell us about the "unsuccessful" business that still got sold. That sounds like a bit of a tale.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Facebook today reminded me that 8 years ago today I built the Facebook page for a business that I built and sold.

Here's hoping the last 8 years have added wisdom and scars you can use to accelerate your success in the next chapter.

Atu

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 23, 2019
First off I'm grateful and amazed that my short introduction is pulling in such important people from community.

Story of my unsuccessful-sold business

Due to the fact that it's still running and owned by people I call my friends I cannot disclose any information that would allow identifcation of that company.

We met years before the start of that business in circumstances, let's call them, outdoors related. Lots of exercises on fresh air, lots of running around and exciting assinments thrown at us. For the sake of this story let's call my business partner: G. I was a bit older and with technical education, having daily job as process engineer in some huge factory. He concentrated naturally on human relations.

After some time continuing those activities we could "sense each others' smell across the forest". I started bragging about starting business together, as I could not find anyone I knew better. Around that time I stumbled upon this forum, found many other sources of business wisdom and even read the Fastlane book (I want to take it again as do not remember a lot). I started getting tired of some things in my life, and the job I had in that time. G became a clerk in some office, I launched my small one-person show related to 3d graphics and animations and it never went big (my fault). After a year received a telephone from G saying that he got kicked out and we can start our shared, long discussed dream.

We had almost zero capital, no experience, some limited knowlege about business and big hopes. And yes, I was aware that when you start it is best to think how you get out. We registered as a equivalent of Ltd company.

The service we were selling was related to education in some overlooked niche, but taken from absolutely revolutionary perspective (all that thanks to G). Some years later a journalist specializing in our niche said that there was nobody to even compare to us on the entire continent. At least some satisfaction. Our customers were always coming with expectation of X in minds. Our modus operandi was:
- surprise them,
- show them that the X they were expecting is irrelevant,
- give them the real value, tons of it.
Everyone left with round eyes and strange thoughts in mind.

Our problem was that we were the best on an almost non-existing market, selling our efforts and time to people who were showing in not-enough numbers to support our company. During the entire time I was living in shared appartments with some students, we had just-enough money to pay for our shared car and no excess capital to grow the company or reinvest. We would save on everything to spend some time each year in remote plasces around the world. Think about far-away mountains, remote deserts or endless forests. Extremely exciting, especially when done on a shoestring.

We both made loads of mistakes and bad decisions in relation to business side of the story. The decision of selling was slowly growing during the last year of cooperation. Final hit came when I decided to get married and G anounced that he is tired of my bragging about marketing. And please do not blame him - we were both taking amounts of stress that would kill some people. After negotiations G invited another colleague who took-over my shares. I got back around double of my invested ultra-minimal capital. The company is still running in a much changed shape and I hope for the best of it and my mates.

Right now I'm really greatful to both G and anyone we met on the road. It was the adventure of a lifetime and loaded with unbelievable things happening to us. I have changed myself and relations to anyone around in that time. Currently living in Kirklees, UK and working in production industry again, with hopes to acumulate some capital and start again.

Conclusions:
1. Do not overestimate your abilities, always underestimate them. You will be amazed by your effects, but not where you wanted initially.
2. All decisions you will ever take will be based on your emotions. This the source of everything and if you can watch & name your emotions, you will have a much better life.
3. Do not expect that your dream is your way of life. Be humble and show respect to decisions of the market.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...