The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Did It: Zero to $12k a Month While Traveling the World

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have a brother that is very skilled and very unsuccessful at web development. I sent him the link to this thread.

Great work on all your successes!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Did you develop this mentality through concsious effort, or did it come naturally ?

For most people, as you said, the thought process i guess for doing something hard is probably like that:

1. Ok, let's get the ball pump
2. What ?! It's not where it's supposed to be ? Okay... take a look around... Nope, can't find it.
3. Ask someone else if he/she saw it
4. if no -> give up and play gameboy

Can you describe yours ? :D

Also: You mentioned the tony robbins books: Did you do all the 'exercises' he mentions ? If yes, did those had an effect on you ?

First of all, back when I read TMF I decided then and there I was going to make it happen for myself. Up until that point I guess I just wasn't sure if it was something I could do. Once I learned that other people just like me were changing their lives, I knew there was a way I could it as well.

The thing about mindset is that it's a feedback loop. I look at it like this:

1. I decide to start persevering on everything in my life.
2. I make my way through various situations that require me to try over and over to succeed at something before I get the results I'm after. This is a new pattern of behavior for me so I have to make a conscious effort to do it.
3. My subconscious mind and nervous system get used to this mode of action slowly over time.
4. The decision sinks in even deeper and becomes something I do unconsciously. It becomes who I am.

I think this is true in every part of life. This is why knowing is never as good as doing. Knowing something consciously is easy and only uses a small part of your brain. Doing something allows the rest of your brain and body to know it as well.

The way I made sure I would follow through is I designed my living situation so that I had no choice. At least I felt like I had no choice. This was key.

As far as Tony Robbins' material, I didn't do all the exercises the first time through. Just reading was enough for me to have a thousand epiphanies about life based on my past experiences and current interactions with others.

I've read through Awaken the Giant Within twice and did the exercises in my head the second time. I also listened to Personal Power II while driving to and from work and did the exercises in my head.

A little hack I did was using my Apple Watch to set myself reminders to "consider the pleasure and pain of a decision I made that day". After a month or so of practicing thinking of things in terms of pleasure or pain the material really started to sink in and all my interactions with others improved.

I will go over this material once a year for the rest of my life as I think it's so critical to understand how and why do things on an individual basis. It helps a ton with copywriting and sales as well, understanding why people do what they do.

Simply understanding the fundamentals of human behavior is incredibly effective for business. Think about it, business is all about trading humans value for money. Understanding what they find valuable, why they find it valuable, and how they decide to buy it gets you a really long ways towards having a successful company.

Besides business, Tony Robbins' material has helped me understand my friends and family better which has given me A LOT more empathy for them than I used to feel.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Someone asked me in a private message how I recommend they get better at sales. I thought the response would be useful to others in here so I'm posting it publicly.

"Hey! Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I'm glad you got something out of it.

As far as sales goes, it's actually really easy. It starts with truly understanding people and why they do what they do. I learned a lot of this from Tony Robbins.

The way I make sales is I talk to my prospect and do my absolute best to understand them, their business, what they are trying to do, what is holding them back, and what they would like from me. A lot of it is just asking a ton of questions until there's nothing left hiding.

Once I have a clear understanding of the entire situation, I know whether or not I can help them. If I can, I make a plan and present it to them while making sure they know that what I'm really selling is my commitment to solving their problem. If I can't help them then I try to point them to someone who can.

Sales really starts with a mindset of wanting to help as much as possible. Forget about yourself completely and focus 100% on helping them achieve their goals. The cool thing is that if you can get good at helping other achieve their goals, money will magically find it's way to your bank account.

There are lots of strategies, tips, and tricks when it comes to sales, but starting from a place of wanting to make your customers' lives better is the best way to go."

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jasonthedream

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 24, 2019
I take it you haven't tried?

I used to think this kind of stuff too but the better I get, the less competition I see.

Indeed there are a ton of freelancers but the majority of them are lacking sales skills which leaves them hovering around Upwork competing for the same low paying jobs.

When I talk to prospective customers I am ALWAYS the only one that takes the time to learn about them and their company to identify their specific problems so I can present solutions to THOSE problems.

I show them solutions to their problems. Everyone else shows them a website with 8 pages.

The market being flooded doesn't really mean anything.
Can you say a little more about getting business from the content youbahve produced? Where are you posting this stuff? How do you decide what to focus on? I love the idea of providing value first via content but don’t want it to get lost ...

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Can you say a little more about getting business from the content youbahve produced? Where are you posting this stuff? How do you decide what to focus on? I love the idea of providing value first via content but don’t want it to get lost ...

While I build websites for clients I also build them for myself. Most of them are simply a hand full of articles about a certain topic that I have expertise in.

I use a tool called Ahrefs to research what websites are out there, what keywords they rank for, and roughly how much traffic those keywords generate. This way, if there's a topic I want to write about, I can do research and know how to make my content get found by more people.

The techniques I use branch into many different disciplines such as SEO, content marketing, email marketing, as well as web design.

Once the content is written, I promote it through various channels like Facebook, Medium, etc.

A good way to start is to write things about your local area. Local topics are typically easier to rank for because they are more niched.

I understand where you are coming from when you say "but I don't want it to get lost" but you have to get rid of that mindset. This tiny sentence turned an actionable idea into a non-actionable idea.

If you want to start making content, do it. Focus on helping people and you seriously can't go wrong. Once you have 20 pieces of valuable content I can almost guarantee it will be found by someone. Even if it doesn't, you've already taken care of the hard part. Attracting eyeballs is easy when you have something of value.

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018
So you saw the headline and decided to click and see what this post is all about. That was literally what I did about 1.5 years ago when I saw Rob O'Rourke's (@Fox) post with a very similar title.

Back then I was looking for a way out of my 9-5 world. Don't get me wrong. I had my dream job. At least it was my dream at the time. I was working full time as a residential construction superintendent. I spent my days driving around Portland, Oregon acting as the bridge between homeowners, contractors, engineers, architects, designers, and city offices.

It was a sweet gig. I was making 52k/yr salary with full benefits, a company truck, cell phone, laptop, credit card, and 3 weeks per year of paid vacation. I was in hog heaven.

Then why did I feel so empty inside? Okay, maybe it wasn't that. Maybe it was the fact that I was removing a nasty-a$$ toilet for the third time in a week for an ungrateful homeowner who had nothing but complaints despite my constant a$$ kissing. That moment while I was hugging that grimy, stinky toilet was my F*ck this moment. You know, that moment that MJ talks about when you drop everything you're doing, turn tail, and get the F*ck out? Ya, that was it. It was the smell of shit coming from the poop stain 3 inches away from my face...

Back Up a Couple Months
The F*ck This Event came in May of 2017. 3 months earlier was when I discovered The Millionaire Fastlane . It's kind of a fun story and I'll try to make it short.

There I was home alone on a Saturday night. My girlfriend was visiting family so I was laying on the couch high out of my mind on some legal Marijuana playing video games. I was 10 hours deep into gaming when I finally turned it off and just sat there. I had a hollow feeling. One that I've had many times. "What am I doing with my life?"

This was a normal pattern for me where I would alternate back and forth between extremely unproductive behavior and the highly motivated obsessive though short lived pursuit of something more.

I decided that my time would be better spent developing a skill that was actually marketable. They always say that it takes 10000 hours to become a master at something and if you want to make a ton of money, you have to be a master, right? So I started doing some calculations to see how long it would take me to become a master at a new skill.

My thought process at the time was Master Skill > Self-Employed > More Money > More Freedom

I added up all the time I spent each week at my job, hanging with the gf, eating, working out, watching tv, etc. When it was all laid out I determined I had about 14 hours per week I could comfortably apply to the pursuit of building a new skillset. Let's see... 14 hours per week at 52 weeks per year is 728 hours per year.. carry the two.. so if I applied 14 hours a week to skill development I would be a master in...

14 years.... F*ck!!!

Holy shit I never realized how much of my time was being eaten up by things I didn't particularly care to do. 50 hours per week for a job? It was that moment that I knew something wasn't right. The seed was planted for me to scrap the old paradigm and find a new one.

After this demystifying exercise I found myself with a gigantic flush of motivation.

I didn't know what else to do so I did a google search for "Best book on being successful."

The first search result was a reddit post where some guy listed his top 10 books on being successful. #1 was TMF . I thought, "Hey it's number 1 so it must be the best." I quickly went online and picked up the digital copy and started reading it.

Needless to say it was riveting. Two days later I finished the last page and immediately had a panic attack. I knew I had to do something to change my life but I didn't know what.

The months following this revelatory learning experience were spent on this very forum obsessively consuming information about what others were doing besides slaving their lives away at a job they didn't even want to do.

This is when I discovered Rob's post about web design. He was making 10k/mo working from Columbia building websites. He also put out a course teaching others how to do it. I bought it along with another course. The total investment was $2300 which was more than I had ever invested in myself before.

There's something to be said about investing a large amount in something like a course. Whether the course is valuable or not, the very act of investing such a large amount triggers the sunk-cost fallacy and makes you feel like you have to get your moneys worth or you'll die. You HAVE to make it work. There's no other choice. This is a good place to be in when you want to achieve something. "I have no other options."

Buying these courses was the smartest things I've ever done.

With all the different business models one could choose, I chose web design and marketing for two reasons:

1. I knew that I wanted to be a businessman, so I needed to learn about business. As a freelance web designer and marketer I get the opportunity to work with businesses of all types in all locations. I get to learn what works and what doesn't straight from the source.

2. I wanted to be free to work from wherever I wanted.

The Runway
While I was taking my online courses, the construction company I was working for happened to be struggling. We had lost the only job we had going which was valued at about 200k. To top it off we had no leads in the pipeline. We were pretty much F*cked.

The owner thought I was the prodigal son and I could do no wrong. So, when I pitched to him that I would make a website and use Google Adwords to get leads, he was onboard. I saw this as an opportunity to get paid to learn a skill I could use to get me some of that sweet sweet freedom.

I threw together a shitty website and ran Google ads with the help of @Andy Black Adwords Jumpstart course. In 2 months we had jobs going and a full pipeline. Success! It was working!

This achievement gave me a ton of courage in terms of quitting my job to start my own business. I've always been a sink or swim type of guy. If things are comfortable I can get lazy, but if I need to perform, I always deliver. I've never missed any payment or bill in my life despite the fact that I've always been very poor.

With that said, I realized that if I kept my 9-5 job and my comfortable salary I wouldn't have the energy after work to pursue anything else. It was a scary decision to consider...

It still took me a few months to build up enough courage, and with ~3k in the bank and a laptop, I quit my job and jumped into Entrepreneurship 100%.

(Please note that I don't have any kids or debt. If I needed to, I could probably get by on less than $1000 per month.)

The First Year
During the first year I only made about $28k doing freelance web design. The cool part is that I was only working part time. I spent about 15-30 hours per week working on projects and 40 or so hours per week reading, studying, taking courses, and experimenting with online marketing on my own projects.

Around May of 2018, about 6 months after I went full time into freelance, my girlfriend quit her job and we started traveling the world. We landed in Bali, Indonesia first thanks to advice from Matt Robinson, another member of this forum. Two weeks in she got bored and quickly found a remote job doing sales for a company called Remote Year. Part of the deal was she had to go live in Mexico City for 3 months and train. I liked it a lot because we got a free condo in a really nice part of town, not to mention the constant exposure to traveling entrepreneurs. Heaven...

The girlfriend working was great for my productivity as I didn't have to put up with a constant moving distraction that seems to be a black hole for attention. You know, the typical girlfriend. Haha

Getting Smart with the Passive Income
In May of 2018 I was feeling the pain of the boom and bust business cycle of a freelance web designer. I would make a 5k sale one month, work on the project for a month, then find myself with no sales and no income the next month. It was emotional going from such highs to such lows all the time. This is when I decided to start going for MRR, or monthly reoccurring revenue.

I started selling website care plans and review funnels in addition to the websites.

A care plan basically means I take care of a client's website and provide 2 hours per month for edits. Besides never having to worry about their website being hacked or down, they get instant responses whenever they have an issue, questions, or just need service. With this I was able to turn regular web design clients into $250/mo care plan clients.

I also sold review funnels. Basically a review funnel is a one page website with a special url that makes it as easy as possible for a customer to leave a company a review on multiple sites. I was selling these for $150/mo. This is a great one because they are super low maintenance and provide a ton of value for the right kind of client. I've seen others charge a lot more but I like to keep it low key as to keep the payments coming in for long periods of time without a second glance from the client.

It only took two months for me to get to $650/mo in MRR. This was a magic number for me because this covered my living and business expenses. Got to love the low overhead of freelance web design...

This lowered my stress tremendously and gave me the breathing room to pursue more risky projects and come up with more creative deals.

The rest of 2018 was great. I spent 7 months abroad. I went to Bali twice and Mexico 3 times. I made friends everywhere and picked up clients each place I went. Now I work with clients all over the world.

Now it's 2019 and business is better than ever. My conservative projection for 2019 is $140k and I'm still only working part time. The MRR is about to pass 3k/mo and only takes up about 3 hours of my time per month.

I've settled on providing complete holistic marketing services for small to medium sized businesses. You could say I'm more of a consultant. I come in and work with a client to figure out exactly what's holding them back then come up with a strategy to get them to where they want to go. Inbound marketing is my weapon of choice as I enjoy creating content that brings in large amounts of traffic which I then turn into customers and sales.

I haven't niched down into any one type of service or market which definitely has its challenges. It's definitely not a business I plan on scaling broadly in terms of quantity of clients, but perhaps in terms of magnitude, or size of projects. The sweet spot for project size for my company is 10-20k. This size project pays well and is still small enough that I don't have to work with large teams or groups of decision makers.

I like this set up because I'm still being exposed to tons of different businesses and learning a lot. It also gives me breathing room to be flexible with my direction which I'm still figuring out. Freedom and flexibility are two of my most important values.

I have a couple side projects going that have potential to earn me a lot more than my marketing agency simply because they are much more scalable. I plan on keeping my agency going if only to service my book of clients as well as market any companies I start or acquire in the future.

One of the best parts of this whole business has been the relationships I've developed with people all over the world. I have more friends than ever and everywhere I travel to I know someone who will meet up for a beer or an adventure. I've even met up with Rob a few times which is super cool because he's someone I really looked up to over the last few years.

Lessons Learned
I hope to share some things that might help others who are just getting started. This could be considered an exercise in trying to relate to myself the way I was 2 years ago before I was blessed with the curse of knowledge. Hell, 3 years ago I had to look up the term "marketing" because I didn't even know what it meant... Can you believe that?

Here is a list of 5 things I would tell my younger self.

1. Mindset is more important than anything else.

There are a lot of things that make up a mindset, for example: self esteem. Self esteem has such a huge role on how we see ourselves and others. It effects every single thing we do and every thought we have. I think the topic of self esteem is worth researching in the very beginning, or at any stage for that matter. Get in tune with where you're at and what you think of yourself. Ask yourself, "What do I need to be like in order for me to feel great about myself?"

There's three books I recommend for this:

- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins - This is like an instruction manual for your mind. Mine is full of notes... I regularly open up to a random page and read it like the Bible. (Get the old version at Goodwill or some other thrift shop. The new versions are a condensed version meant to sell his other products.)
- The Six Pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon - A solid presentation of what self esteem is, what it does, and how to cultivate it.
- 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class by Steve Siebold - This book is a gateway to learning how to be a world class human being. It's got tons of recommendations for other books. I can't recommend this book enough.
2. If you don't know what to do, just do something. Anything!
In today's world we have too many options. In the old days people had to find food. They had to build shelter, collect firewood, and make as many babies as they could because most of them wouldn't survive. Life was all about survival.

In today's world we don't have to worry about that kind of stuff. The result of this phenomenon is an entire population frozen in indecision because they don't know what to do. It's my belief that if you find yourself not knowing what direction to head, just start walking. Pick something and start doing it. You'll quickly discover whether it's working for you or not and then decide to continue or change direction.

If you never start moving, it's easy to wake up and realize the years have gone by but you've stood still. This was me for years. Don't let it be you! Get moving!!!
3. Read, a lot.
I know a lot of people. The ones that read are miles ahead of the ones that don't. What else can I say? From ages 18 to 28 I read maybe 10 books. From 28 to 30 I read over 100. I can't even begin to describe the difference this made for me.

Read. Listen. Expose yourself to new information in whatever way is effective for you. Just know that there's something special about reading. Your subconscious mind creates a world with the information thus making reading super effective. TV and Audio is good but your brain is much less active during these activities.
4. Be a Good Person
Good people are more successful than bad people. This might sound silly but it's true. Write a paragraph about what makes a really good person then make it your mission to be like that.

If you automatically consider other people and go out of your way to make their lives better, money will magically find its way into your pocket. It's magic. Did I say that already?
5. Get Uncomfortable
The first time you drive on the freeway it's really scary. Cars are moving fast and the stakes are high. If you mess up, you're dead. It's quite uncomfortable, no?

After a couple hundred times driving on the freeway it's just not a big deal, right? You can do it in your sleep, almost... Why do you think that is? Did driving get any easier? Or, did you just get better?

This analogy can relate to anything in life. If you are always comfortable, it means you are never getting better at anything. If you want to grow and become a better person, you have to expose yourself to situations that make you uncomfortable.

I've learned to notice when I'm getting too comfortable. That's usually the time I pack my bags and head somewhere I've never been or look for a situation that scares me. I can't even tell you how much I've grown since I realized this.
Well, thank you for reading my short progress story. I hope you found something valuable to take away and use in your own journey.

If you have any questions, ask away. I've got nothing to hide and am happy to be as transparent as possible to help others like myself who just need to see someone else do it to give them the courage to follow suit.

Awesome. How do you make connection while living at new place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanu1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 4, 2018
So you saw the headline and decided to click and see what this post is all about. That was literally what I did about 1.5 years ago when I saw Rob O'Rourke's (@Fox) post with a very similar title.

Back then I was looking for a way out of my 9-5 world. Don't get me wrong. I had my dream job. At least it was my dream at the time. I was working full time as a residential construction superintendent. I spent my days driving around Portland, Oregon acting as the bridge between homeowners, contractors, engineers, architects, designers, and city offices.

It was a sweet gig. I was making 52k/yr salary with full benefits, a company truck, cell phone, laptop, credit card, and 3 weeks per year of paid vacation. I was in hog heaven.

Then why did I feel so empty inside? Okay, maybe it wasn't that. Maybe it was the fact that I was removing a nasty-a$$ toilet for the third time in a week for an ungrateful homeowner who had nothing but complaints despite my constant a$$ kissing. That moment while I was hugging that grimy, stinky toilet was my F*ck this moment. You know, that moment that MJ talks about when you drop everything you're doing, turn tail, and get the F*ck out? Ya, that was it. It was the smell of shit coming from the poop stain 3 inches away from my face...

Back Up a Couple Months
The F*ck This Event came in May of 2017. 3 months earlier was when I discovered The Millionaire Fastlane . It's kind of a fun story and I'll try to make it short.

There I was home alone on a Saturday night. My girlfriend was visiting family so I was laying on the couch high out of my mind on some legal Marijuana playing video games. I was 10 hours deep into gaming when I finally turned it off and just sat there. I had a hollow feeling. One that I've had many times. "What am I doing with my life?"

This was a normal pattern for me where I would alternate back and forth between extremely unproductive behavior and the highly motivated obsessive though short lived pursuit of something more.

I decided that my time would be better spent developing a skill that was actually marketable. They always say that it takes 10000 hours to become a master at something and if you want to make a ton of money, you have to be a master, right? So I started doing some calculations to see how long it would take me to become a master at a new skill.

My thought process at the time was Master Skill > Self-Employed > More Money > More Freedom

I added up all the time I spent each week at my job, hanging with the gf, eating, working out, watching tv, etc. When it was all laid out I determined I had about 14 hours per week I could comfortably apply to the pursuit of building a new skillset. Let's see... 14 hours per week at 52 weeks per year is 728 hours per year.. carry the two.. so if I applied 14 hours a week to skill development I would be a master in...

14 years.... F*ck!!!

Holy shit I never realized how much of my time was being eaten up by things I didn't particularly care to do. 50 hours per week for a job? It was that moment that I knew something wasn't right. The seed was planted for me to scrap the old paradigm and find a new one.

After this demystifying exercise I found myself with a gigantic flush of motivation.

I didn't know what else to do so I did a google search for "Best book on being successful."

The first search result was a reddit post where some guy listed his top 10 books on being successful. #1 was TMF . I thought, "Hey it's number 1 so it must be the best." I quickly went online and picked up the digital copy and started reading it.

Needless to say it was riveting. Two days later I finished the last page and immediately had a panic attack. I knew I had to do something to change my life but I didn't know what.

The months following this revelatory learning experience were spent on this very forum obsessively consuming information about what others were doing besides slaving their lives away at a job they didn't even want to do.

This is when I discovered Rob's post about web design. He was making 10k/mo working from Columbia building websites. He also put out a course teaching others how to do it. I bought it along with another course. The total investment was $2300 which was more than I had ever invested in myself before.

There's something to be said about investing a large amount in something like a course. Whether the course is valuable or not, the very act of investing such a large amount triggers the sunk-cost fallacy and makes you feel like you have to get your moneys worth or you'll die. You HAVE to make it work. There's no other choice. This is a good place to be in when you want to achieve something. "I have no other options."

With all the different business models one could choose, I chose web design and marketing for two reasons:

1. I knew that I wanted to be a businessman, so I needed to learn about business. As a freelance web designer and marketer I get the opportunity to work with businesses of all types in all locations. I get to learn what works and what doesn't straight from the source.

The Runway
While I was taking my online courses, the construction company I was working for happened to be struggling. We had lost the only job we had going which was valued at about 200k. To top it off we had no leads in the pipeline. We were pretty much F*cked.

The owner thought I was the prodigal son and I could do no wrong. So, when I pitched to him that I would make a website and use Google Adwords to get leads, he was onboard. I saw this as an opportunity to get paid to learn a skill I could use to get me some of that sweet sweet freedom.

I threw together a shitty website and ran Google ads with the help of @Andy Black Adwords Jumpstart course. In 2 months we had jobs going and a full pipeline. Success! It was working!

This achievement gave me a ton of courage in terms of quitting my job to start my own business. I've always been a sink or swim type of guy. If things are comfortable I can get lazy, but if I need to perform, I always deliver. I've never missed any payment or bill in my life despite the fact that I've always been very poor.

With that said, I realized that if I kept my 9-5 job and my comfortable salary I wouldn't have the energy after work to pursue anything else. It was a scary decision to consider...

It still took me a few months to build up enough courage, and with ~3k in the bank and a laptop, I quit my job and jumped into Entrepreneurship 100%.

(Please note that I don't have any kids or debt. If I needed to, I could probably get by on less than $1000 per month.)

The First Year
During the first year I only made about $28k doing freelance web design. The cool part is that I was only working part time. I spent about 15-30 hours per week working on projects and 40 or so hours per week reading, studying, taking courses, and experimenting with online marketing on my own projects.

Around May of 2018, about 6 months after I went full time into freelance, my girlfriend quit her job and we started traveling the world. We landed in Bali, Indonesia first thanks to advice from Matt Robinson, another member of this forum. Two weeks in she got bored and quickly found a remote job doing sales for a company called Remote Year. Part of the deal was she had to go live in Mexico City for 3 months and train. I liked it a lot because we got a free condo in a really nice part of town, not to mention the constant exposure to traveling entrepreneurs. Heaven...

The girlfriend working was great for my productivity as I didn't have to put up with a constant moving distraction that seems to be a black hole for attention. You know, the typical girlfriend. Haha

In May of 2018 I was feeling the pain of the boom and bust business cycle of a freelance web designer. I would make a 5k sale one month, work on the project for a month, then find myself with no sales and no income the next month. It was emotional going from such highs to such lows all the time. This is when I decided to start going for MRR, or monthly reoccurring revenue.

I started selling website care plans and review funnels in addition to the websites.

A care plan basically means I take care of a client's website and provide 2 hours per month for edits. Besides never having to worry about their website being hacked or down, they get instant responses whenever they have an issue, questions, or just need service. With this I was able to turn regular web design clients into $250/mo care plan clients.

I also sold review funnels. Basically a review funnel is a one page website with a special url that makes it as easy as possible for a customer to leave a company a review on multiple sites. I was selling these for $150/mo. This is a great one because they are super low maintenance and provide a ton of value for the right kind of client. I've seen others charge a lot more but I like to keep it low key as to keep the payments coming in for long periods of time without a second glance from the client.

It only took two months for me to get to $650/mo in MRR. This was a magic number for me because this covered my living and business expenses. Got to love the low overhead of freelance web design...

This lowered my stress tremendously and gave me the breathing room to pursue more risky projects and come up with more creative deals.

The rest of 2018 was great. I spent 7 months abroad. I went to Bali twice and Mexico 3 times. I made friends everywhere and picked up clients each place I went. Now I work with clients all over the world.

Now it's 2019 and business is better than ever. My conservative projection for 2019 is $140k and I'm still only working part time. The MRR is about to pass 3k/mo and only takes up about 3 hours of my time per month.

I've settled on providing complete holistic marketing services for small to medium sized businesses. You could say I'm more of a consultant. I come in and work with a client to figure out exactly what's holding them back then come up with a strategy to get them to where they want to go. Inbound marketing is my weapon of choice as I enjoy creating content that brings in large amounts of traffic which I then turn into customers and sales.

I haven't niched down into any one type of service or market which definitely has its challenges. It's definitely not a business I plan on scaling broadly in terms of quantity of clients, but perhaps in terms of magnitude, or size of projects. The sweet spot for project size for my company is 10-20k. This size project pays well and is still small enough that I don't have to work with large teams or groups of decision makers.

I like this set up because I'm still being exposed to tons of different businesses and learning a lot. It also gives me breathing room to be flexible with my direction which I'm still figuring out. Freedom and flexibility are two of my most important values.

I have a couple side projects going that have potential to earn me a lot more than my marketing agency simply because they are much more scalable. I plan on keeping my agency going if only to service my book of clients as well as market any companies I start or acquire in the future.

One of the best parts of this whole business has been the relationships I've developed with people all over the world. I have more friends than ever and everywhere I travel to I know someone who will meet up for a beer or an adventure. I've even met up with Rob a few times which is super cool because he's someone I really looked up to over the last few years.

Lessons Learned
I hope to share some things that might help others who are just getting started. This could be considered an exercise in trying to relate to myself the way I was 2 years ago before I was blessed with the curse of knowledge. Hell, 3 years ago I had to look up the term "marketing" because I didn't even know what it meant... Can you believe that?

There are a lot of things that make up a mindset, for example: self esteem. Self esteem has such a huge role on how we see ourselves and others. It effects every single thing we do and every thought we have. I think the topic of self esteem is worth researching in the very beginning, or at any stage for that matter. Get in tune with where you're at and what you think of yourself. Ask yourself, "What do I need to be like in order for me to feel great about myself?"

- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins - This is like an instruction manual for your mind. Mine is full of notes... I regularly open up to a random page and read it like the Bible. (Get the old version at Goodwill or some other thrift shop. The new versions are a condensed version meant to sell his other products.)
- The Six Pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Brandon - A solid presentation of what self esteem is, what it does, and how to cultivate it.
- 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class by Steve Siebold - This book is a gateway to learning how to be a world class human being. It's got tons of recommendations for other books. I can't recommend this book enough.
In today's world we have too many options. In the old days people had to find food. They had to build shelter, collect firewood, and make as many babies as they could because most of them wouldn't survive. Life was all about survival.

In today's world we don't have to worry about that kind of stuff. The result of this phenomenon is an entire population frozen in indecision because they don't know what to do. It's my belief that if you find yourself not knowing what direction to head, just start walking. Pick something and start doing it. You'll quickly discover whether it's working for you or not and then decide to continue or change direction.

If you never start moving, it's easy to wake up and realize the years have gone by but you've stood still. This was me for years. Don't let it be you! Get moving!!!
3. Read, a lot.
I know a lot of people. The ones that read are miles ahead of the ones that don't. What else can I say? From ages 18 to 28 I read maybe 10 books. From 28 to 30 I read over 100. I can't even begin to describe the difference this made for me.

Read. Listen. Expose yourself to new information in whatever way is effective for you. Just know that there's something special about reading. Your subconscious mind creates a world with the information thus making reading super effective. TV and Audio is good but your brain is much less active during these activities.
4. Be a Good Person
Good people are more successful than bad people. This might sound silly but it's true. Write a paragraph about what makes a really good person then make it your mission to be like that.

If you automatically consider other people and go out of your way to make their lives better, money will magically find its way into your pocket. It's magic. Did I say that already?
5. Get Uncomfortable
The first time you drive on the freeway it's really scary. Cars are moving fast and the stakes are high. If you mess up, you're dead. It's quite uncomfortable, no?

After a couple hundred times driving on the freeway it's just not a big deal, right? You can do it in your sleep, almost... Why do you think that is? Did driving get any easier? Or, did you just get better?

This analogy can relate to anything in life. If you are always comfortable, it means you are never getting better at anything. If you want to grow and become a better person, you have to expose yourself to situations that make you uncomfortable.

I've learned to notice when I'm getting too comfortable. That's usually the time I pack my bags and head somewhere I've never been or look for a situation that scares me. I can't even tell you how much I've grown since I realized this.
Well, thank you for reading my short progress story. I hope you found something valuable to take away and use in your own journey.

If you have any questions, ask away. I've got nothing to hide and am happy to be as transparent as possible to help others like myself who just need to see someone else do it to give them the courage to follow suit.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house

All sorts of ways...

Facebook groups was a big one. There's a "foriegners in x" group in every city I visited.

journeyman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Apr 18, 2017
United States
Excellent. Thanks for showing us what's possible.
I'm only at the beginning of my web development freelancing business but I look forward to making enough money to do just that and have back my freedom and location independence.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Excellent. Thanks for showing us what's possible.
I'm only at the beginning of my web development freelancing business but I look forward to making enough money to do just that and have back my freedom and location independence.
If I can do it, anyone can.

You will alternate between really excited and unsure whether it's the right path. It's normal.

When you are taking lots of action and things don't seem to get happening, that's a good sign. It means you're getting close to a breakthrough. If you can learn to recognize these feelings and use them to give you a boost of energy and effort, you will make it.

Don't give up before you succeed! If you want to give up, do it after.

Cheers

Amoney21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
340%
Oct 7, 2018
This thread has seriously helped me a ton and I thank you greatly for it! Would you say most of your clients are local (ish) to your area or is the bulk of your clients not remotely close to the PNW? Globalization is so crazy nowadays and it is seriously awesome as well as inspiring that you can travel the world with web design and still help out specific clients.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
This thread has seriously helped me a ton and I thank you greatly for it! Would you say most of your clients are local (ish) to your area or is the bulk of your clients not remotely close to the PNW? Globalization is so crazy nowadays and it is seriously awesome as well as inspiring that you can travel the world with web design and still help out specific clients.

80% of my clients are not in my local area. In fact, I would say half of them I've never even spoken to face to face. It is incredible when you think about...

I'm glad you got something from my story. Cheers.

Shri Kanase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 19, 2019

Back Up a Couple Months

14 years.... F*ck!!!

The Runway

The First Year

Lessons Learned

3. Read, a lot.

4. Be a Good Person

5. Get Uncomfortable

Your story was really an inspiration to me man because I feel as if I'm in the same situation.

I already have an online store which has done over 6 figures but is rather seasonal so most of the months, I'm just sort of floating by. Because of the marketing skills I gained from the store, I have a YouTube channel and also do mentoring for many people. In fact, I sell a course as well.

But my main goal had been an agency or something scaleable which can be scaled all the time. I'm not sure which direction to head in or what to do

Anakalypsi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jan 2, 2019
First of all, thank you for sharing your story here. Stories like these really motivate me a lot and give me much hope.

Haha so true.

You made that move quite fast which speaks to your success!

The MRR is about to pass 3k/mo and only takes up about 3 hours of my time per month.

That is just f*cking great!

Found this especially appealing today.

Last, good luck and fortune on your further journey and scaling your business!

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Your story was really an inspiration to me man because I feel as if I'm in the same situation.

I already have an online store which has done over 6 figures but is rather seasonal so most of the months, I'm just sort of floating by. Because of the marketing skills I gained from the store, I have a YouTube channel and also do mentoring for many people. In fact, I sell a course as well.

But my main goal had been an agency or something scaleable which can be scaled all the time. I'm not sure which direction to head in or what to do

Wow you have a lot going on. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Have you determined that what you're doing now isn't going to work? It sounds like you might be in a period of little feedback which is always a challenge to get through.

I would say double down on what you're doing and try to make it work. You might be close to pay dirt.

Agency business is good but it isn't as scalable as YouTube or selling courses.

Shri Kanase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 19, 2019
Wow you have a lot going on. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Have you determined that what you're doing now isn't going to work? It sounds like you might be in a period of little feedback which is always a challenge to get through.

I would say double down on what you're doing and try to make it work. You might be close to pay dirt.

Agency business is good but it isn't as scalable as YouTube or selling courses.

That's the thing; I'm actually a college student but I put in almost all of my free time into turning this store into a brand.

That means all of my packages get shipped with the store's logo and I also have a blog. It's more self-doubt all the time which causes me to think whether I'm in the right direction or not.

And my course doesn't sell as much right now, mainly because I rely on traffic from my Youtube channel. The Youtube channel is at 3.3k subs and growing fast.

At this point, would you recommend I go all in on what I'm already doing or try to create more opportunities? It's really hard juggling school and all this so just like you, I was planning on "leaving" school for a year meaning take a gap year. However, I'm not sure where I would be at the end of this gap year

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Great post @GoodluckChuck. I loved reading your progress thread. You are a very captivating writer.
This is when I discovered Rob's post about web design. He was making 10k/mo working from Columbia building websites
Are you building them from scratch (programing/coding) or using a platform (ex.Shopify) and helping clients setting them up that way?

I have a Shopify store and when people tell me how good my website looks and that I must know a lot about computers I feel guilty that it is a template from Shopify.

But then I think about walking into local businesses and helping them get leads by upgrading their websites, social media pages and overall marketing.

Do you target companies that have low quality websites and do not seem to be to internet save?

Thanks!

MB Burnette

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Mar 12, 2019
Texas
I have a brother that is very skilled and very unsuccessful at web development. I sent him the link to this thread.

This quote has described me up to this point!

Self-talk, self-esteem...self-confidence is so important. And positive action-movement.

Thank you GoodluckChuck for your post. Inspirational brother.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
That's the thing; I'm actually a college student but I put in almost all of my free time into turning this store into a brand.

That means all of my packages get shipped with the store's logo and I also have a blog. It's more self-doubt all the time which causes me to think whether I'm in the right direction or not.

And my course doesn't sell as much right now, mainly because I rely on traffic from my Youtube channel. The Youtube channel is at 3.3k subs and growing fast.

At this point, would you recommend I go all in on what I'm already doing or try to create more opportunities? It's really hard juggling school and all this so just like you, I was planning on "leaving" school for a year meaning take a gap year. However, I'm not sure where I would be at the end of this gap year

It's hard for me to give super specific advice without knowing the details but I can say with confidence that building on current and past success is easier than starting over.

It's easy to get shiny object syndrome when you see others killing it in different areas, but you have to take that into account.

You say you make sales for your course through YouTube and your following is growing fast. So, why not focus on that?

Have you created your own progress thread for these projects? I'm sure if you gave everyone more details you would get good feedback.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Great post @GoodluckChuck. I loved reading your progress thread. You are a very captivating writer.

Are you building them from scratch (programing/coding) or using a platform (ex.Shopify) and helping clients setting them up that way?

I have a Shopify store and when people tell me how good my website looks and that I must know a lot about computers I feel guilty that it is a template from Shopify.

But then I think about walking into local businesses and helping them get leads by upgrading their websites, social media pages and overall marketing.

Do you target companies that have low quality websites and do not seem to be to internet save?

Thanks!

Let me ask you, if you could bake a delicious, great looking cake with any oven, then how important is the oven?

I use WordPress to build 99% of the websites I build. I use page builders which make it easier.

My clients don't hire me for the tools, they hire me for the results I get.

What goes on the website and how it fits in with their sales system, business, and customers experience is where I add the real value.

Business is all super simple. People will pay for what they want or need, so if you can deliver that, they will pay you for it.

People don't come to me for websites. They come to me to help them sell more product and acquire more customers.

Shri Kanase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 19, 2019
It's hard for me to give super specific advice without knowing the details but I can say with confidence that building on current and past success is easier than starting over.

It's easy to get shiny object syndrome when you see others killing it in different areas, but you have to take that into account.

You say you make sales for your course through YouTube and your following is growing fast. So, why not focus on that?

Have you created your own progress thread for these projects? I'm sure if you gave everyone more details you would get good feedback.
Yes, I'm currently already focusing on that and am posting on a consistent basis. The only issue is, I also wanted some extra sources of income to be on the safe side.

But you think working on my personal brand and trying to grow that should be my #1 priority? I was also planning on opening more websites to sell other things but not sure whether it's worth spreading out my focus or not.

Last edited:

Andy Daniels

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
May 29, 2017
Oregon
But you think working on my personal brand and trying to grow that should be my #1 priority?

Helping others and providing value should be your #1 priority.

You also need to be monogamous with your business. I like to quote Ron Swanson here:

"Don't half-a$$ two things, whole-a$$ one thing"

Shri Kanase

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Feb 19, 2019
Helping others and providing value should be your #1 priority.

You also need to be monogamous with your business. I like to quote Ron Swanson here:

"Don't half-a$$ two things, whole-a$$ one thing"
But how do I know it's the business which will take me to the next level and not something I'm just wasting time on?

I mean, it has shown positive results but its not consistent..

Young Money

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Apr 27, 2018
Canada
But how do I know it's the business which will take me to the next level and not something I'm just wasting time on?

I mean, it has shown positive results but its not consistent..

So much self doubt.. you’re gonna have to change your mindset before you hope to succeed.

No one here can tell you if your business will succeed or fail, but if you don’t try then you are guaranteed to fail.

demirciler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Feb 2, 2019
The most inspirational thing I read in 2019 so far. Thank you for sharing this epic story.

Your mindset is very similar to me, and I am also o huge fan of Tony Robbins. Awaken the giant within is the first self-help book I read and it literally has blown my mind.

I had a question about sales. How do you know if you actually can't help a client or you think in that way because you are afraid of something or avoiding pushing your comfort zone?

How you can be sure you will get real results to your client, and you are a great fit for the job?

RayofLight00

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Dec 19, 2016
Amazing story. The part where you questioned yourself after having played ten hours of video games did it for me, along with making moves and actually deciding to be a better person. I saw a lot of myself there, except the making moves part Lol.

I'm really interested in doing business online and providing a service for people. Something that can help another person with a project or something they care about. I enjoy helping people and want to take an online approach.

Are there any resources you can link to that can be utilized by beginners/entry level computer users to learn web design/marketing skills? Thank you again for the inspiring story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.