The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Nothing To Everything - My Journey

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hey Fastlaners,

(Apologies in advance - this is going to be a beast of a thread.)

It's time to be brutally honest with myself so I've decided to make this thread to have accountability regarding my business. This thread will also serve as a rough timeline of my journey.

Often, I will spend too much time going down the rabbit hole of the Internet, watching videos, and overall working on tasks that don't move the needle. I want to focus more on the 20% of things that bring 80% of the results. I need to make progress, desperation is starting to kick in.

I also think this will be an awesome way to look back on how far I've come in the days, months, and years to come. More importantly, I hope this can help somebody else along the way and prove to them that if you remain focused and consistent, you can succeed. That's my Why.

Entrepreneurial Journey So Far
Like many other entrepreneurs on this forum, my journey didn't start after joining The Fastlane Forum. Also, like many others, I had small gigs here and there since I was a kid: mowing people's lawns, raking leaves, doing chores for people, etc. But up to this point, I've had 3x "serious" businesses (2x e-commerce/dropshipping, and 1x local services business) to date. They all failed because of one reason or another: a personal lack of focus, being all about the money, and not bringing credible solutions to market. Truth be told, I didn't want it bad enough. I only thought I did.

The first time I ever seriously considered becoming an entrepreneur, it was late May of 2018. I had just turned 26 years old (I know, I'm late to the party ha). A couple years prior and up until that point, I was being worked to the bone by a boss that could care less about my well-being. I would look at how he would take vacations whenever he wanted while the rest of us just had to keep working, likely to pay for those vacations. I always thought to myself that I could be my own boss and would rather delegate tasks than to have them delegated to me. Often, I would look at the decision-makers in my previous companies and think "I could do that." Ultimately, I knew there had to be a better way for me.

I spent the next 7 months learning about investment vehicles that could foster my "get rich" mentality while also working a full-time job. I stumbled upon Forex trading and dove right in. I took online courses, throwing roughly $300 of my hard-earned cash towards so-called "gurus". I would wake up at 5AM to study a few hours before work, come home, and then study until 7-8PM each night. I started trading with a Demo account ($50,000 fake money) and struggled. It was crushing to my ego to barely ever win a trade, but I persevered. I eventually opened a Live account and funded it with $1,000. I ended up with a net -$36, FAIL. Again, I felt as though I didn't want it bad enough.

During those 7 months, I would also listen to, read and take in any material I can find on entrepreneurship, success, wealth, you name it. I would listen to podcasts from CEO's, business owners, motivational speakers, etc. I read more books since May of last year than I have in my entire life combined. I was never a reader when I was young. Quite frankly, I still read slowly.

Skip to Now
All my previous experiences have led to now - I started my most recent entrepreneurial journey in late January of 2019. After quitting Forex trading, I decided to go back to what I know best: technology. I purchased my current domain (atechnextdoor.com) on January 26th. The gears started turning in my head, I was trying to determine a need in the current market. I decided to revisit an old idea that I never executed on: residential IT services.

Thus far, my business has 0 clients (yep, you read that correctly) and my website has been live less than a month. I spent a good portion of a month reading into digital marketing strategies, I took a Udemy course and have been trying to learn as much as I can to ensure I'm successful.

I've learned a lot about what it takes to run a business in the process. Now, I'm just trying to build a customer base and brand awareness.

Current Statistics
newsletter signups: 0
Customers: 0
Website sessions: 510
Users: 461
Page views: 1,436
Net income: $0

Business Goals
Short-term
  • Customers: 25
  • Recurring revenue: $2,500/mo
  • Help at least one person/day
Long-term
  • Customers: 2,000
  • Recurring revenue: $100,000/mo
  • Employees: 50+
  • Help 10+ people/day

My goals will change as progress is made. When growth accelerates, I will change the goals according. Aim high, shoot high.

To make these goals happen, I will have to do the hard stuff: cold calls, attend meetings, give presentations, and ask for help. I'm painfully introverted, so this is an ultimate test for me. If you're enduring something similar, Godspeed.

TL;DR - This thread is for me to hold myself accountable in terms of making weekly progress towards my business goals. I will report back weekly or sooner with updates.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 03/21/2019

Providing an update for the sake of holding myself accountable.

The bad: Woke up late today. I made the mistake of updating my WordPress theme (doh!) without backing up my website first. Luckily, I was able to talk to my hosting provider and have them restore from yesterday's backup. Dealing with that ate up a solid chunk of my time.

The good: I was able to get my website functionality back 100% after the mishap (above). I reworked my Upwork profile, title and skills, and the results have seemingly paid off already. Additionally, I accomplished a lot of the goals I set for myself.

Goals:
  • File a DBA via LegalZoom - complete
  • Send 10 proposals on Upwork - complete
  • Send 100 voicemails via SlyBroadcast - complete
  • Send 10 quotes on Thumbtack - incomplete (5/10 sent)
  • Reach out to 3 people on The Fastlane Forums - complete
Updates:
  • Completed first job on Upwork (ayy!)
  • 3/10 Upwork proposals responded to so far (thanks, Lex DeVille)

Going to be writing up/refining my weekly goals on Sunday with my girlfriend so we can keep each other accountable as well and ensure we are moving the needle. I'll report back with updates as they come.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 03/25/2019

Providing an update again for the sake of accountability.

Since last Friday (03/22), I have found another customer and provided her with some web design help. It first started with a simple task that she requested via Upwork. This turned into a discussion of what other offerings I have.

It's important to note here that the conversation wouldn't have happened unless I jumped on a Zoom meeting with her. Again, thanks Lex DeVille for stressing the importance of hopping on the phone with clients. For those reading, you will have a way easier time explaining the value you can provide to potential customers by talking to them on the phone rather than resorting to text chat.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have defined the ultimate goal for this week. This subsequently led to smaller goals being developed to keep me on track.

ErinStephens

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Mar 23, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Update - 03/25/2019

Providing an update again for the sake of accountability.

Since last Friday (03/22), I have found another customer and provided her with some web design help. It first started with a simple task that she requested via Upwork. This turned into a discussion of what other offerings I have.

It's important to note here that the conversation wouldn't have happened unless I jumped on a Zoom meeting with her. Again, thanks Lex DeVille for stressing the importance of hopping on the phone with clients. For those reading, you will have a way easier time explaining the value you can provide to potential customers by talking to them on the phone rather than resorting to text chat.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have defined the ultimate goal for this week. This subsequently led to smaller goals being developed to keep me on track.
this is friggin' awesome. I love putting this out there for all as a means to keep yourself accountable. Good for you. I love it.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 04/01/2019

Since last Monday (03/25), I have done the following:
  • Found multiple customers - some freelance (Upwork) and some for my computer services business
  • Updated my Fiverr profile to include more gigs
  • Promoted my services on Thumbtack
  • Hung up some flyers around town
  • Answered a ton of Quora questions related to technology
  • Created a YouTube channel for tech education, recorded one video and uploaded it
One job that stands out was a computer training job was requested via my local Craigslist. The computer training was 2 hours long. I helped the customer identify inefficiencies and organize herself a bit. In return, she not only paid me, but also provided a review and valuable insights for acquiring customers like her. The service was successful overall.

My gf and I defined our ultimate goals for this week on Sunday (03/31) and I'm actively working on accomplishing the smaller goals each day.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
How did the 100 voicemails work out for you? Love your thread, keep it going!

To be honest, I stopped using it since I felt it was a bit of a waste of time for me.

I spent roughly an hour curating a message that didn't sound too "salesy" and tried to focus on the benefit of the customer. Then, I recorded my message on the Windows 10 Voice Recorder app with a Samson Q2U mic (and pop filter), and made sure the sound quality was good, my voice was clear, etc.

Now to the figures...
I bought 100 voicemails for $10 and got another 100 free by using a referral code for a total of 200 messages. Only successfully delivered messages are deducted from your total, so I sent them in batches of 100 at a time.

Total messages sent: 487 voicemails - 287 residential, 200 business.

Out of the 287 residential, only 40 were successfully delivered to a voicemail box. Out of the 200 business, only 30 were successfully delivered. Total: 70 successfully delivered voicemail messages.

Only one business called me back. None of the people I sent messages to called me back.

This is likely due to using the wrong message and wrong target audience. Ultimately, I decided to put it on the back burner for now and focus on a more organic strategy of custom acquisition, which has worked a lot better for me.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 04/07/2019

Since last Monday (04/01), I have done the following:
  • Found a couple of new customers - both from freelance websites (Upwork and Thumbtack)
  • Created a new Craigslist ad for web design
  • Removed and added Thumbtack services
  • Answered a few Quora questions related to technology
  • Edited YouTube video SEO and closed captioning
  • Created a Bing Places account for my local services business
  • Removed discounts from my website, MailCheat(Chimp) sign up form, etc.
Both of the customers I acquired this week needed a website designed. I completed the first one yesterday - it only took me roughly 5 hours to complete and paid decently. She also gave me an excellent review, which always helps for freelancing. As for the other customer, he was a bit put off by the price that I quoted him (like all web design customers lol), but we scheduled another call to discuss in-depth this week.

I have been taking on more web design jobs because they're easy, don't take a lot of my time, and pay handsomely if you negotiate properly. I know what you're thinking - "you're trading time for money", but I'm working on it.

My gf and I are going to define our large goals for the week today. I'm going to try a new tactic this week of creating a checklist for each day to provide additional accountability.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 04/14/2019

Since last Sunday (04/07), I have done the following:
  • Found a couple of new jobs (one for my company, one consulting)
  • Created a new freelance account on Freelancer.com
  • Answered some Quora questions related to technology
  • Created a Bing Ads account for promoting my business
  • Hung flyers for my business around town
  • Recorded a YouTube introductory video
  • Sent out dozens of job proposals for web design, computer repair, and computer training
  • Spoke to a gentleman from an Entrepreneurship Discord server that I'm part of about business strategy
  • Edited my business website for more responsive design on mobile devices and tablets
  • Added another blog post to my website
  • Improved SEO score on my website (used Neil Patel's SEO Analyzer for measuring)
One customer that was acquired was from word of mouth. An old colleague of mine reached out to me and provided a lead. I reached out to the lady and we agreed upon reconvening in mid-May.

Another job I have is for Monday on a consulting basis. I will be helping the same colleague (mentioned above) with a client onboarding for my usual onsite rate.

A big point of these next couple of weeks will be figuring out how to transition from the B2C to B2B space and build partnership agreements with other companies. I need to figure out a way to package my services and then provide the value to other companies so we can work together.

Last edited:

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 04/21/2019

Since last Sunday (04/14), here's what I've been doing:
  • Found a few new gigs (one for my company, one freelancing, one consulting)
  • Discussed a partnership agreement with a digital marketing consultant
  • Answered some Quora questions related to technology
  • Sent out job proposals for web design, computer repair, and computer training
The customer for my business reached out to me directly. I finished the job relatively quickly (~30 mins) and he paid full price. His roommates were very impressed with my work and asked for my card as well. Overall successful job.

Working on a potential IT consulting gig one day a week for a company near me.

I've been working closely with a lady on Upwork who wants to keep me on retainer for recurring work. I may hire a cheaper freelancer to do these jobs for me and still profit since she pays handsomely and the jobs are relatively easy.

Another old colleague of mine reached out about working closely on some digital marketing consulting for small companies. We developed a pseudo partnership, I will be helping him with some of his client work for consistent cash flow.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 05/06/2019

Dropped the ball on April 28th with an update. I was out of town 04/30 - 05/05 for my friend's graduation, but since 04/21 I've made quite a bit of strides professionally.

Business has been going well. Have been doing a lot of freelancing via sites like Upwork, Thumbtack, and Fiverr. Growing a more consistent client base with recurring work. Completed a few new gigs on Upwork, and one new gig on Fiverr since my last update.

I've also been working with an old colleague of mine on building a digital marketing agency. I will be working with him as a consultant for some projects. We're in the process of closing a client for a 6 month commitment now. This will provide the consistent recurring income that I can take and funnel some of it into my own business.

Also working with another colleague on building his business. I'll be working on a consultant for various technical projects.

Finished up my DBA filing by purchasing publication for 4 weeks.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 05/12/2019

Since Monday (05/06), here's what I've been doing:
  • Finished web design project for Fiverr client
  • Went to two onsite client visits on Tuesday (05/17) - one for personal business, one consulting for old colleague's business
  • Discussed digital marketing consulting with another old colleague, will be helping him making website updates for his clients
  • Sent out proposals via Upwork and Craigslist (used SearchTempest to search multiple areas)
  • Created a chat bot via SnatchBot for my website to answer
  • Applied for business checking account - still waiting on biz license from the state to finish application
  • Added portfolio items to Upwork and created a specialized profile for Web Design
  • Discussed repeat jobs with previous clients via Upwork - to be scheduled for this upcoming week
After reading MakeItHappen's post, I'm feeling more inspired to work on the switch over to a B2B model and defining what that would look like going forward. I want to start cold calling and working on my sales muscle more.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 05/19/2019

Since Monday (05/13), here's what I've been doing:
  • Finished small Squarespace project for client on Upwork
  • Currently working on two WordPress design projects for clients - one that reached out via Thumbtack, one on Upwork
  • Went to an onsite client visit today for a friend of my gf's. Received positive Google review for my business
  • Discussed potential freelance sys admin projects with my old boss - call scheduled for Tuesday
  • Sent out web design proposals via Upwork and Craigslist
  • Received business license from local govt
  • Finished submitting business checking account app (approved)
  • Discussed repeat jobs with previous clients via Upwork
  • To discuss accounting & quarterly taxes with consultants this upcoming week
Still have a lot of thinking to do about what B2B services I want to offer to small businesses and which IT niche I want to be part of so I can angle my offerings properly.

Alex Enache

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 6, 2019
Milan (Italy)
Update - 05/19/2019

Since Monday (05/13), here's what I've been doing:
  • Finished small Squarespace project for client on Upwork
  • Currently working on two WordPress design projects for clients - one that reached out via Thumbtack, one on Upwork
  • Went to an onsite client visit today for a friend of my gf's. Received positive Google review for my business
  • Discussed potential freelance sys admin projects with my old boss - call scheduled for Tuesday
  • Received business license from local govt
  • Finished submitting business checking account app (approved)
  • Discussed repeat jobs with previous clients via Upwork
  • To discuss accounting & quarterly taxes with consultants this upcoming week
Still have a lot of thinking to do about what B2B services I want to offer to small businesses and which IT niche I want to be part of so I can angle my offerings properly.

Hi rynor! You are doing grate! Please keep doing the updates because are really an inspiration for me and I think for others! I will read them all!

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hi rynor! You are doing grate! Please keep doing the updates because are really an inspiration for me and I think for others! I will read them all!

Hey Alex! Thank you for the encouragement - much appreciated.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 05/28/2019

Since Monday (05/20), here's what I've been doing:
  • Finished 2x projects via Upwork
  • Currently working on one WordPress design projects for a client
  • Creating WordPress portfolio for my old colleague's cousin
  • Potentially creating a portfolio for my girlfriend's cousin
  • Scheduled onsite visit for a client this week (05/29)
  • Followed up with previous Upwork clients about repeat jobs
  • Discussed partnerships via LinkedIn
A relatively light week for me. Wasn't able to find many large jobs to fill my time, but still got some work done.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 06/02/2019

Since Tuesday (05/28), here's what I've been doing:
  • Completed a job (onsite visit 05/29) for a business client, simple job
  • Currently in the middle of one WordPress job for an Upwork client
  • Still in the talks of creating a WordPress portfolio for my girlfriend's cousin
  • Scheduled chat with a company looking for some part-time consulting help
  • Sent out proposals via Upwork, Craigslist, and Thumbtack
  • Upwork client from previous job reached out about more work this week
  • To follow up with a business client about an onsite visit this week, after 06/03
  • Studied JavaScript via Codeacademy - currently 66% done
  • Started UNSCRIPTED - currently 10% done
Another relatively light week work-wise. On an introspective note: I need to begin thinking about services to offer B2B instead of B2C and what that transition process will look like long-term. Also, I need to network more and put my name out there; I've been too shut away recently.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 06/08/2019

Since last Sunday (06/02), here's what I've been doing:
  • In the middle of two WordPress jobs for a client on Upwork and Thumbtack
  • Finishing up my girlfriend's cousin's WordPress portfolio + eCommerce site
  • Had a chat with a company for part-time consulting help, haven't heard back yet
  • Reached out to previous Upwork clients for more work, still in discussion
  • Followed up with business client about an onsite visit, waiting to hear back
  • Posted an ad on Craigslist for IT support and web design
  • Read part of UNSCRIPTED
  • Continued JavaScript course on Codeacademy - 77% done
  • Connected with other entrepreneurs via LinkedIn
Lately I've been looking for more opportunities to help companies by consulting. My health has been up and down and I've been very anxious the past couple of weeks, so I've been working on meditating, going to the gym, etc. to get back into shape.

Bhanu

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 23, 2017
Update - 06/08/2019

Since last Sunday (06/02), here's what I've been doing:
  • In the middle of two WordPress jobs for a client on Upwork and Thumbtack
  • Finishing up my girlfriend's cousin's WordPress portfolio + eCommerce site
  • Had a chat with a company for part-time consulting help, haven't heard back yet
  • Reached out to previous Upwork clients for more work, still in discussion
  • Followed up with business client about an onsite visit, waiting to hear back
  • Posted an ad on Craigslist for IT support and web design
  • Continued JavaScript course on Codeacademy - 77% done
  • Connected with other entrepreneurs via LinkedIn
Lately I've been looking for more opportunities to help companies by consulting. My health has been up and down and I've been very anxious the past couple of weeks, so I've been working on meditating, going to the gym, etc. to get back into shape.
Hi Rynor ...thanks for posting your progress . This is really inspiring .
Can you also post main take away/ things you learnt/where you failed/minor-major success etc . This will make your progress more enriching and helpful for others too .

Anyway thanks and keep up the good work !! . All the best. :)

Monica Rose

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 14, 2019
Maui, Hawaii
I love your consistency in posting, and holding yourself accountable. I think it will also be a valuable resource for you to look back on your progress over time, especially if you're having one of those days (that we all have) where you're feeling down on yourself for the speed at which things are moving.

Keep it up!

Last edited:

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
I love your consistency in posting, and holding yourself accountable. I think it will also be a valuable resource for you to look back on your progress over time, especially if you're having one of those days (that we all have) where you're feeling down on yourself or the speed at which things are moving.

Keep it up!

Thank you! Seems like those slow days happen way too often, likely due to my own impatience. Hah

Hi Rynor ...thanks for posting your progress . This is really inspiring .
Can you also post main take away/ things you learnt/where you failed/minor-major success etc . This will make your progress more enriching and helpful for others too .

Anyway thanks and keep up the good work !! . All the best. :)

First, thank you very much, Bhanu! Regarding your question - it is tough to quantify the failures and successes, but I'll try to outline them both as best as I can, and in a completely honest way.

Successes
  • Each week, I gain at least two to three clients for either freelance work or my business.
  • My social proof is also starting to ramp up (more reviews = more clients).
  • I'm still carrying a profit for my business ventures.
Failures
  • Money is slowly draining. Currently in desperation mode until I can get some recurring revenue.
  • On just Upwork alone, I've sent 126 proposals in the past 90 days. I've been viewed "Less often" (according to Upwork stats), but have been hired "More often". So for those jobs I do get interviewed for, I usually get them. I'm not sure the exact stats on this because Upwork doesn't supply them.
  • Lack of health insurance due to my own ignorance.
  • Just my opinion, but: time wasted on things that aren't significant in driving my business forward - can't imagine how much that actually is.
Takeaways
  • My successes and failures are not big enough. They are small wins each week, but to be sustainable long-term, the magnitude will have to be much greater.
  • Get your accounting in order early. I say this because I'm currently in the midst of going through my accounts trying to separate my transactions properly. Hire a good bookkeeper that allows you to ask them questions whenever and stay on top of it. For those Sole proprietors out there - Wave has a free accounting software that is much better than QuickBooks Self-Employed.
  • Likely common sense to some, but understand the area you live in from an economic standpoint. If you offer services, see where you can provide value on a scale that will sustain you long-term. Understand where your target audience hangs out, shops, etc.
  • As you start to understand your processes more and have a system in-place, hire people that can do the things you suck at. This is something I still struggle with, but it significantly frees up your time to focus on more important things.
That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure there's more. Anyways, back to work!

Monica Rose

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 14, 2019
Maui, Hawaii
My successes and failures are not big enough. They are small wins each week, but to be sustainable long-term, the magnitude will have to be much greater.

Look into the Kaizen system. It is argued that consistent small efforts translate into big results over time.

Also, you are getting some valuable takeaways. Sometimes not succeeding can be even more valuable. I've always loved the quote by Nelson Mandela "I never lose. I either win or I learn." It sounds like you have learned a lot in a relatively short period of time, so congratulations!

As you start to understand your processes more and have a system in-place, hire people that can do the things you suck at.

This one I know in theory, but am still working on in practice. Also I am trying to balance this with trying to become at least competent at things I don't have experience. Not sure if that's a good strategy, more likely it's a waste of time...

Monica Rose

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Apr 14, 2019
Maui, Hawaii
As you start to understand your processes more and have a system in-place, hire people that can do the things you suck at.

You are so right in saying that you need to understand your processes and have a system in place prior to hiring/outsourcing. I am working on this now in my business with a goal of making our first hire within the year.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 06/17/2019

Since last Sunday (06/08), here's what I've been doing:
  • Still working on a WordPress job for a client via Thumbtack
  • Finishing up another WordPress job for a client via Upwork
  • Completed a quick WordPress job for a client on Upwork
  • Currently in talks to pick up two new web design jobs via Upwork
  • Waiting to hear back from a client for an ongoing support part-time consulting gig via Upwork
  • Added eCommerce functionality to my girlfriend's cousin's WordPress portfolio
  • Continued JavaScript course on Codeacademy - 78% done
  • Built a PowerShell script to cold email businesses after collecting emails, sent roughly ~1,093 emails last week
  • Met with Tax accountant on tax strategy going forward
Very productive week, a lot of potential opportunities in the pipeline.

broswoodwork

Intermediate User of the Flying Guillotine
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Oct 16, 2015
This is probably a wildly inappropriate intrusion into your progress thread, but could you build a WordPress clone of an Etsy Pattern website hooked into PayPal, or whatever the kids are using nowadays, instead of Etsy's payment processor?

I'm trying to claw back as much control of my own system as possible, and if I am going to make a move, I'd rather work with someone from here than anywhere else.

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 06/24/2019

Since last Monday (06/17), here's what I've been doing:
  • Finished up a WordPress job for a client via Upwork
  • Finished up a small WordPress job for one of my business clients
  • Finished up a small G Suite set up job for another one of my business clients
  • Working on a Squarespace eCommerce site for another person
  • In collaboration talks with another company to tackle a one-time project
  • Still waiting to hear back from a client for an ongoing support part-time consulting gig via Upwork
  • In the process of finishing up my girlfriend's cousin's WordPress portfolio
  • Started web portfolio to showcase my web design projects

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 06/30/2019

Since last Monday (06/24), here's what I've been doing:
  • Finished up a small WordPress design tweak job for a client via Upwork
  • Finished my girlfriend's cousin's WordPress portfolio
  • Finished Squarespace eCommerce site for another person
  • Working on an old colleague of mine's WordPress portfolio
  • Starting tomorrow (07/01), I will be helping out every Monday onsite for a client of my old boss
  • Added work to my own web portfolio to showcase my design projects
  • Hired an accountant via Upwork to help categorize my transactions/clean up my books a little
  • Started a Sales course (Business Development & B2B Sales for Startups- Sales Valley) via Udemy
  • Read more of UNSCRIPTED

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 07/08/2019

Since last Sunday (06/30), here's what I've been doing:
  • Still working on an old colleague of mine's WordPress portfolio
  • Finished a small WordPress design job for a repeat customer on Upwork
  • Working on a WordPress page speed job for a repeat customer on Upwork
  • Went onsite for part-time work at a client's office on Monday
  • Added more work to my own web portfolio
  • Sent out proposals via Upwork
  • Discussed books cleanup job with an accountant on Upwork
  • Watched more of my Sales course on Udemy
  • Vacation from 07/03 - 07/07 - checked emails, followed up with clients

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 07/15/2019

Here's what I've been doing since last Monday (07/08):
  • Still working on a WordPress job for a client via Thumbtack [forever in-progress]
  • Still working on an old colleague of mine's WordPress portfolio [waiting on reply]
  • Finished a small G Suite setup job for a customer on Fiverr
  • Went onsite for part-time work at a client's office on Monday
  • Sent out proposals via Upwork
  • Accountant finished my books cleanup job, everything now under one QuickBooks account and in order
  • Sent out hundreds of emails to small businesses in LA and SD about web design
  • Set up a meeting to discuss part-time consulting work with a company
  • Watched more of my Sales course on Udemy

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Update - 07/21/2019

Here's what I've been doing since last Monday (07/15):
  • Still working on a WordPress job for a client via Thumbtack [forever in-progress]
  • Still working on an old colleague of mine's WordPress portfolio [waiting on reply still]
  • Finished a small job for a business client, 2 hrs
  • Went onsite for part-time work at a client's office on Tuesday
  • Sent out proposals via Upwork and Thumbtack
  • Sent out more emails to small businesses in LA and SD about web design
  • Watched more of Sales course on Udemy
  • Started a rental property investing book
  • Vacation July 18 - 28 - parents in town visiting

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts