The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

So what do you do while you're not profitable?

Gil Kag

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 19, 2019
Hello everyone. Today I have a question for yall.
Let's say you're currently searching for ideas, or even let's say you already have an idea or a business.
What do you do until your business is profitable? How do you pay for rent\food\blablabla and all your basic expenses?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
I am currently working at a job, while building my idea in my free time. I feel like that would be a pretty common answer. Unless your idea is amazing, then you may be able to get someone to finance you while your making things happen. Tonnes of companies arent profitable for months or years.

Devilery

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Feb 11, 2019
Let's say you're currently searching for ideas, or even let's say you already have an idea or a business.
What do you do until your business is profitable? How do you pay for rent\food\blablabla and all your basic expenses?

Part-time job, freelancing, flipping, living on savings.
I'm personally working on freelancing. That way I am already somewhat free - still trading time, but on my own rules. I can be located wherever I wan't (as long as I make enough), I can take a day off. And.. It can be scaled!
Take a look at your skillset, is there something you're good at, what would be worth paying for?

Gil Kag

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 19, 2019
I am currently working at a job, while building my idea in my free time. I feel like that would be a pretty common answer. Unless your idea is amazing, then you may be able to get someone to finance you while your making things happen. Tonnes of companies arent profitable for months or years.
Part-time job, freelancing, flipping, living on savings.
I'm personally working on freelancing. That way I am already somewhat free - still trading time, but on my own rules. I can be located wherever I wan't (as long as I make enough), I can take a day off. And.. It can be scaled!
Take a look at your skillset, is there something you're good at, what would be worth paying for?

Would you guys recommend working at a job that is related to "your idea" so you can gain experience and knowledge? Or work at a job that isnt related at all and that you kinda hate, but then you have time to think about your idea while at your job, and also you have the motivation to quit it because it doesn't get too comfortable?

scottmsul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
302%
Apr 29, 2017
Boulder, CO
Would you guys recommend working at a job that is related to "your idea" so you can gain experience and knowledge? Or work at a job that isnt related at all and that you kinda hate, but then you have time to think about your idea while at your job, and also you have the motivation to quit it because it doesn't get too comfortable?

Be very careful about working at a job while starting a related business, or avoid it altogether. You can get in trouble if it's a conflict of interest, and many employers will make you sign a non-compete.

Gil Kag

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 19, 2019
Be very careful about working at a job while starting a related business, or avoid it altogether. You can get in trouble if it's a conflict of interest, and many employers will make you sign a non-compete.
What about consulting? Is it a good idea?

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
What about consulting? Is it a good idea?

I agree with as said above, you should be doing something completely different to avoid any issues. I wouldnt be doing any consulting either, work a job that pays the bills and gives you the time to focus on your idea. Work a job you wont be afraid to leave when your ready to jump.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
There's a "Fastlaner's Fund" where the rich guys here will pay all your expenses until you get up and running. PM one of the moderators, they'll tell you all about it

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Consulting/freelancing depends on your skillset. If you have skills/expertise that you can easily monetize, it can be a good route, since you can have more time freedom than with a day job.

However, for a lot of folks, a day job might be the quickest, most-immediate path to cash--especially if you don't know how to get consulting clients.

Whatever route you choose, pick something that'll pay your bills. Don't start a business based on "hoping" it'll pay your expenses.

D

Deleted50669

I would recommend taking a job that allows you to pursue your business while keeping yourself afloat. This is often not related to your business pursuit. It's wise to be mindful of conflicts of interest between your job and your business, as others have mentioned.

TomasGara

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 20, 2019
It's best to have some job to be able to pay for your rent, house, food, bills...etc. And then build your business during your spare time. And you will be hitting hard walls not once, but if you believe in what you do and it's a good idea - don't quit.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
8-6 Day Job.

Sire Bryan

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Mar 13, 2019
There's a "Fastlaner's Fund" where the rich guys here will pay all your expenses until you get up and running. PM one of the moderators, they'll tell you all about it

Why do I feel like this is a set up? lol

rjrobbins2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 20, 2019
Kansas City, MO
I would avoid working directly in the same business your idea is in. As others have said, it can create problems.

With that said, you can find a job that will both teach you skills and allow you to sharpen existing skills that will be useful in your business.

For example, working in a Call Center (yes, it sucks but it teaches you to work with people of all backgrounds) will teach you communication skills and how to deal with irate, unreasonable people. Working in retail will teach you non-verbal communication. Working in an office will teach you business structure, management, and company culture.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.