The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Outsourcing software development

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Disciplined

Let's talk business
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jan 28, 2013
Kansas City
Does anyone have experience outsourcing software development? I know that James Altucher said he found his programmers for stockpickr.com on Craig's List and that they were in India. Is that the best way to find these guys? Is there a better way that you have found?

Has anyone gone down this road before? If so, would you do it again? I know that they're cheap (is it worth it?), but what should I be wary of?

If anyone could shine just a little light into this arena for me I would appreciate it, I can provide more information if you wish.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SABmore

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Aug 10, 2013
Yes, I've outsourced a few software projects. I'm actually a developer to begin with, but there were aspects of my projects that I needed assistance with in completing, or just didn't know the technology well-enough to proceed. With that being said, here is my .02...it'll be lengthy, so hold onto your hat.

I'll make the assumption that you are a programmer...but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I've primarily used oDesk for finding my developers, and Freelancer.com is another one...they are the two larger sites for outsourcing but there are others. In some cases the same people are on both sites, so if you decide to post on both, expect a few duplicate responses. In my experience, oDesk has provided more consistent, quality people, but that's simply a personal opinion.

Each site acts as a middle-man and takes a fee (%) from the agreed upon price you set for your project with your developer...oDesk is 10%..so make sure you factor this into your budget. By acting as the middle-man the sites provide a bit of assurance that you aren't going to get (totally) screwed out of money. Whereas if you were to find someone on Craigslist, and they want some money up front or you pay them along the way and they bail out, you have no easy recourse. With oDesk/Freelancer you can dispute charges if need-be, so your risk of losing money is reduced...plus if you leave a bad review for that person, in many cases it messes with their only source of income, so its to their benefit to provide good service.

Also, they aren't going to steal your idea. While oDesk and others say they protect your work, its really just a gentleman's agreement that those working on the site won't steal other peoples property...there really is no legality to it, and having a contractor sign an NDA isn't going to hold up. Try suing someone in a foreign country. Not worth it.

That being said, you will hire someone that starts off great and then flames out (won't communicate, bad work, misses deadlines, etc.)...its an unfortunate par for the course, but there are a few things I suggest to reduce this possibility.

1. Outsourcing without a technical understanding/background can be a very slippery slope. Unless you know exactly what technology you want/should use, what your design is to look like, the user interactions, etc, you are leaving yourself open to getting a lot of bad advice and crappy work from contractors. It doesn't matter how highly recommended they are...if you tell them to build a blue box, you'll get their version of a blue box. You need to be as explicit as you can in your requirements...screenshots, write ups, etc go a long way towards ensuring your end product matches your expectations.

2. Always do fixed-price projects. We as developers/designers are inherently bad at estimating the time it will take to complete a project. So if you choose to pay per hour, you will wind up paying a lot more than you expected.

3. Do your homework. Look at existing job postings on the site to gauge what to write in your posting, as well as an estimate of what the going rate is for similar work. Always ask for them to send you a portfolio of their work, as well as link to their GitHub account (source code repository for coders.) You want to explain what you need done without giving away all of the details. You'll goal is to find someone that has done something similar and done it well. You can share specifics with them after you hire them.

4. Used the advanced options to further refine your candidates. I always look for those with at least a 4.5/5 rating, 100 hours billed, and a 5/5 English-level. You'll get a mixed-bag of responses, but this is a good baseline to work from and filter down your list.

5. Read the feedback of each of your candidates, you might get one that's a 4.9/5, but the last two employers stated that the candidate's English was bad, or missed deadlines...question the candidate to find out what might have happened. If you see a candidate with reviews that are hidden, its a red-flag, so stay away.

6. Once you've narrowed down a list of candidates to say 3-5, message each and ask them some technical questions (Google for specific programming tests for a list of example questions.) Sure, they could Google for the answer themselves, but ask them to respond in a specific context, such as have they encountered X and if so, how did they handle it? This not only gives you a good idea of their technical ability, but also of their communication ability and responsiveness.

7. Pricing. As usual cheap can be bad, but you just need to weigh the responses to your budget. In some cases candidates will counter-offer, but everything is negotiable within reason. Just don't expect to pay ($200) for an iPhone app. Lately I've had instances where people looking to break into oDesk have messaged me and offered to do the work for pennies as they simply want the experience. With that being said, its really a gut decision, but that only comes in time of being able to know what you want and to spot a crap contractor.

8. Once you've hired someone make sure you are on top of your communication with them. Its okay to ping them once a day and ask to see updates. Its your job to manage the project.

9. One thing you may want to try is posting a small programming task (say $25-50) with the condition that successful completion will lead to additional work. Great developers can knock this out in no time, so its easy money. Some people will suggest that you have developers complete a task for free as an example of their work...like anyone, great developers value their time/skill, so most will brush this request off. You only need to pay one, so it can be worth it.

I could go on and on, so if you'd like to talk more about details, have questions, etc, feel free to send me a message. Tech can be a very opinionated and deep arena to step into, but I pride myself in being agnostic and able to assist others in finding the best solution for what they want to accomplish...I can even help you filter through and find the right contractor if you want. Just let me know as I'm simply happy to help.

I'm writing a soup-to-nuts ebook on the entire process from idea to completion for those interested just message me, as I'd very much appreciate feedback.

Good luck.

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
you guys not like elance for software development?

SABmore

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Aug 10, 2013
No particular issue with elance. I tried them in the past, but found the contractors on oDesk to be of a bit higher quality with respect to skills and communication. With that being said, I believe you can still find solid folks on there...and of course there will also be duplicates of those you might find on other sites.

Fareler

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 24, 2018
Iowa,Des Moines
I apologize for bumping...just my 2cents.

Had an experience hiring and managing devs for company i used to work.

Was easier to get them up to speed on project that already had codebase, they can learn quicker by reading/writing.

Was really tough to start new project because really hard to describe everything what's in my mind :)

In any case:

Talk, talk and then talk again. Then draw and talk again. Really communication should be constant.

Commit often, track where he is moving. Once in the beginning we lost about 2 weeks because dev have not committed single line of code but later committed basically not what we expected (even though he was good at talking).

In the beginning I spent a lot more time talking and tracking than if I did the same work myself so be prepared.

As you know :) devs have their own mind so listen but remember that last word is always yours.

If you are from US then be prepared that most likely devs will be from other parts of the world Why Outsourcing to India Is a Bad Idea: An In-Depth Research so delays, nights, early mornings :)

If you want to find devs that cost less search on local sites.

If you are not american, but like me, came here then try your home country (much easier to talk :) )

I'm from Russia so obviously I used Russian web sites to search for them.

For 1000 honestly not sure, for us it was 2000-2500 range. Try Eastern Europe like Moldova, Ukraine, Belarus. No offense but had bad luck with India and Malaysia (it was cheaper there but just really hard to move), may be others had better luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.