The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's stopping you?

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
If I quit my job I have to replace 15k a month.

I have two small children, a car payment (very small), and a mortgage.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
If I quit my job I have to replace 15k a month.

I have two small children, a car payment (very small), and a mortgage.
Where do you live if you have to replace 15k/month?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
Where do you live if you have to replace 15k/month?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s my income on a good month with three paychecks. Actually it’s 12,000 after taxes.
On a two paycheck month it’s like 8k after taxes.

Each month:
1st $900 mortgage
2nd $490 to Car and Credit Line
3rd $360 to Electric Company
4th $810 to Goddard School
5th $180 to water/gas company
12th $400 to Medical Bills
14th $250 Cell Phones
15th $365 to IRS - Agreement/Penalty
16th $130 to internet and Netflix/hulu

That’s $4,500 in bills a month making $8,000 a month after taxes. This doesn’t include groceries and gas and shit.

My car is a 2014 Fusion that I bought for 13,999 with a warranty in case anyone thinks my car payment is high. It’s only 360 of that 490 above.

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
What is stopping you, right now, from starting your business?
My new business is teaching guitar online - I've started advertising lessons, but I'm not making any sales (yet).

What is stopping you from making your first sale?
I think its an organic reach problem. I've done keyword research and will be writing a series of blog posts this week that will bring more people onto my website.

What is stopping you from making the leap?

The leap has been made!

If you've already started your business, what's stopping you from quitting your job?
No customers.... yet. I don't need that many to quit my job, move abroad somewhere cheap, and have much more time for studying and writing music and enjoying life more.

What is stopping from doubling your revenues and profits?
Finding people that want help and are willing to pay for it.

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
My new business is teaching guitar online - I've started advertising lessons, but I'm not making any sales (yet).

I think its an organic reach problem. I've done keyword research and will be writing a series of blog posts this week that will bring more people onto my website.

The leap has been made!

If you've already started your business, what's stopping you from quitting your job?
No customers.... yet. I don't need that many to quit my job, move abroad somewhere cheap, and have much more time for studying and writing music and enjoying life more.

Finding people that want help and are willing to pay for it.

How about the pounds of competition you have? Ultimate Guitar, Tabs all over the Internet...
why would someone want lessons from you?

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
How about the pounds of competition you have? Ultimate Guitar, Tabs all over the Internet...
why would someone want lessons from you?

In general, people want an in person teacher for several reasons:
  • there is too much free stuff to shift through. In this case, the over-saturation of the market works in my favour. People don't want to spend hours searching and comparing lessons, they want the info fed to them
  • they might not understand the free stuff, or the free stuff might be poorly explained.
  • there are a few incredibly niche skills I have where there is nothing on the internet about them
  • free stuff isn't very motivating. When you have a teacher, you have an external factor that is a very powerful source of motivation. Some students will practice more to impress their teacher than they will for their own benefit
In general, if I can get someone the result, they will give me the dollar. And I am pretty good at getting people results in their playing. I'd happily take anyone for a free 15 minute skype lesson and help them solve some of their playing problems in 10 minutes or less. Whether it's technique, improvising, songwriting... I can take the most musically untalented person and help them make progress.

I know this works in my local market, but I'm still figuring out how to translate this into the online market.

theOfficialRJ

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 31, 2017
Canada
In general, people want an in person teacher for several reasons:
  • there is too much free stuff to shift through. In this case, the over-saturation of the market works in my favour. People don't want to spend hours searching and comparing lessons, they want the info fed to them
  • they might not understand the free stuff, or the free stuff might be poorly explained.
  • there are a few incredibly niche skills I have where there is nothing on the internet about them
  • free stuff isn't very motivating. When you have a teacher, you have an external factor that is a very powerful source of motivation. Some students will practice more to impress their teacher than they will for their own benefit
In general, if I can get someone the result, they will give me the dollar. And I am pretty good at getting people results in their playing. I'd happily take anyone for a free 15 minute skype lesson and help them solve some of their playing problems in 10 minutes or less. Whether it's technique, improvising, songwriting... I can take the most musically untalented person and help them make progress.

I know this works in my local market, but I'm still figuring out how to translate this into the online market.

These are definitely good reasons to buy your service over others, but are you highlighting these benefits in your ads? Do your potential customers know what they will get from your service vs. other services on the internet?

Have you considered teaching free lessons in the beginning in exchange for testimonials/reviews?

Good luck! Keep us updated :)

Guidance

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Dec 2, 2018
I have multiple issues, which I’ll describe in the relevant sections:

A full time software development job and grad school due to which I have NO time to do anything. Fatigue from these things only makes it more difficult to do anything.

I have no product yet to sell and no experience/idea on how to get to potential customers (product is in B2B space, so customers would be business owners/“decision-takers”). I don’t have any business-owners in my family either who can guide me. Since I have a full time job, I can’t connect with people during the day and naturally it’s too late to do it in the evening.

Two reasons: 1) My parents worked really hard to get me this far and made a lot of sacrifices on the way. Now that I have a job, I want to help them financially and fulfill their dreams (luxury, peace of mind etc.). Leaving this job means I can’t even provide even basic things for them, let alone luxurious items. I would barely have any money for myself to survive. I just can’t convince myself to sacrifice all of that for what appears to be a selfish reason (wanting to run a business of my own).
2) Unlike most other people, I don’t “hate” my job. Yes I do get frustrated with how things are or that I have to watch other people make decisions, but there are times that I do enjoy working. I am frequently torn apart about what I want more (working in this job or running my own business). I always end up wondering whether I REALLY want to run my own business or am I thinking of doing it only because I think it’s nice.
These 2 problems are probably 90% of what’s stopping me.

I have not started it yet, but as stated in the last answer, the fact that I actually do enjoy my job sometimes keeps me questioning myself on whether I really want to run my own business.

No business :(

StrikingViper69

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
These are definitely good reasons to buy your service over others, but are you highlighting these benefits in your ads? Do your potential customers know what they will get from your service vs. other services on the internet?

Have you considered teaching free lessons in the beginning in exchange for testimonials/reviews?

Good luck! Keep us updated :)

Currently people can't "buy" lessons from me online, they can only book a free lesson. I do need to get some testimonials up on that page though... something to get done this week!

I think I can rank on Google for some related keywords, so I'll be writing some blog posts on the topic over the next few weeks too

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018

As I'm sure it has been mentioned many times, actually decided on what to do. I am energized by helping people, and am not as interested in just flipping a product on Amazon. All of those blogs/articles you read about "what do you find yourself losing time with or doing in your spare time?" It's solving puzzles. I really enjoy looking at a problem and finding a way to fix it. However, I'm not sure how that could be a CENTS model because it would depend on me.

Fear and my family. I am the main financial support for my family of 4, and also provide insurance/benefits for them. I completely understand how a paycheck and insurance are terrible reasons to keep a job, but I cannot just quit and focus on my own thing. If I were ever to even have a notion of quitting, it would have to already be doing extremely well on the side to make up for those.

quicksort

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 9, 2015
Wanted to quit my job and start my own businesses but my friend said she doesn't think as many women on tinder will be interested in me if my profile says "Entrepeneur" instead of Prestigious Company Name and pointed out that a couple women have messaged me first to ask about it.

Now I think I'm still going to do but also feel a little sad about it instead of 100% pumped and excited.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Wanted to quit my job and start my own businesses but my friend said she doesn't think as many women on tinder will be interested in me if my profile says "Entrepeneur" instead of Prestigious Company Name and pointed out that a couple women have messaged me first to ask about it.

Now I think I'm still going to do but also feel a little sad about it instead of 100% pumped and excited.
Well, would you rather have a high number of bedpost notches...

...or in your bank account?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Fear of the unknown. Lack of discipline.

max1mSS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 7, 2019
I know I want to start a business, but I'm having trouble figuring out something that follows the CENTS framework within the small skill set that I currently have. I'm trying to soak up as much information I can by browsing this forum while I work a crappy job to pay off my debt before I go in on something, hopefully only a few more months.

D

Deleted72149

rejoice ice cream - what is stopping me currently is making a home made ice cream. i do not have the ingredients. or the know how. (well i got youtube) so i guess just procrastination . perhaps fear. i will go out and buy ice cream and literally hand it out. but i have not sold my first unit of ice cream. i have not had ice cream to sell... whyy not? i have the time. the resources currently. and many recipes off google will tell me to make home made ice cream. i have no one to sell too. but i am writing at the gail boarden library in my hoemtown and just from where i sit i see at least 5 people i see regularly enough to sell home made ice cream too. so there are many potential customers. it has got to be fear. it feels like some type of barrier. perhaps i do not think it will work out.

rejoice ice cream - i have not made any home made ice cream. neither have a found a whole sale ice cream distribute. but to get my first sale... i only need 1 unit of ice cream

easy money clothing brand - fear to ask for money. to charge somebody a price or fee for the clothing i have made. i have only made enough clothes for me to wear as my work shirts

rejoice ice cream -fear. procrastination. money. resources.

easy money clothing brand - getting inventory. the fear of the unknown what if i cop a bunch of shirts and no one buys them. what if just get flat out rejected. dreams crushed. what if this is not the right road for me to go down and i end up wasting all my time and resources. (made up what if scenarios in my head) fear... fear of what? it sounds easy enough to make a couple bucks from my own clothing designs.

i presently do not have a job. and i continue to act like i am looking for a job when i really want to start a business

cannot double what i do not have. ( i notice i keep writing about what i do not have.)

somethings i do have (vision, i have a few good ideas. mentorship. i have found a spirtiual teacher, and career teacher, and even a big brother life type teaecher all backing up and supporting me. i have great social skills. self awareness. and patientce. i have 2 parents who are still alive. i have validation from thos i speak too. and even acknowledgement.

I want to know the answers. We can help you. Go.

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA

Get ripped while starting your own business & see if your job description still matters.

G

Guest24480

You're not going to follow your dreams because you care too much about what another chick says about your tinder match's opinions of you? Ouch

Listen to actions not words my friend

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022

It's not the economy, it's not the lack of time, it's not the lack of an idea, it's not any other thing, or any other person in this world.

It's you.

Any other excuse that you come up with is a lie.

You are, paradoxically, the only one that can turn either your dreams or your nightmares into reality. Which one is it going to be, is something that you will have to discuss with yourself.

Vas87

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jul 4, 2012
Australia
I feel like I'm waiting for the "Right" opportunity, while at the same time maybe enterpreneurship is not for me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.