The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cell Phone Pet Peeves - What are yours?

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
I was at a Chili's restaurant the other night and when I was being led to my table to sit and eat I couldn't believe how quiet the restaurant was. It was jam packed - there was a 15 minute wait - and yet it felt like I was in a public library....

That's when I noticed - EVERYONE WAS ON THEIR CELL PHONE!!!

What the heck folks? We've reached cell phone zombie land...

Drives me crazy. Enjoy the moment - forget your cell phone for a whole whopping hour and enjoy the company you are in!

What are the cell phone etiquette breakers you're noticing?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
who-cares-small-buttons.jpg

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I don't know why this would be a pet peeve. These people in the restaurant aren't bothering you. Would you rather have loud talkers or kids running around?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
#2 - Humans turning into zombies
Where do I even begin? This doesn't actually mean anything.

Humans are not turning into zombies. Humans are doing more or less the same thing they always have. People still go to work, go to school, you have people in the military, becoming professional athletes...

So what basis does this claim of your even have?

You just don't like what you see.

This is just like when rednecks say, "immigrants are ruining this country!" And they actually don't even know why they think that. They just don't like immigrants.

That's like you. You see people one their phones, and you don't like it. You just put a label on them to think you're better than them.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The phone goes one way people generally bug me. Lawyers, in particular, pull that crap.

Other than that... some folks are just not doing important things with their phones. You know this because you know them, but they act like it anyway, even if they are playing bird crush or hanging out on myface.

You will not get me to hate on my phone... I love having the newest and best and it is my best tool for running my companies.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Going to a bar/club/social venue/whatever and seeing 80% of people have their head down looking at their phone. Not sure why you would go to a social place like a bar if you're going to spend the whole time on your phone.

Also, when you watch a press conference or something and the camera pans out and you see literally everyone has their phone out taking a picture or video.

Not really pet peeves and I understand why people do it. I've just never felt the need myself and think it's pretty stupid.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I was at a Chili's restaurant the other night and when I was being led to my table to sit and eat I couldn't believe how quiet the restaurant was. It was jam packed - there was a 15 minute wait - and yet it felt like I was in a public library....

That's when I noticed - EVERYONE WAS ON THEIR CELL PHONE!!!

What the heck folks? We've reached cell phone zombie land...

Drives me crazy. Enjoy the moment - forget your cell phone for a whole whopping hour and enjoy the company you are in!

What are the cell phone etiquette breakers you're noticing?

I don't care what other people do with their cellphones. But what does bother me is when I'm with somebody and they're on their phone constantly. Originally coming out to spend time together, but instead, staying glued to their phones. To me, that means they don't appreciate or value my time and presence.

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Actually, I can't stand it either. It's like people have been hypnotized to constantly look at this little screen, infinitely scrolling through all the political propaganda, advertisements and imagery to make you feel inferior for the soul purpose to make you buy more and think a certain way.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
My only pet peeve with smartphones is people who constantly pull it up during a conversation and zone out of everything that goes on around them. When there's something important being said, and someone tries to get their attention, the smartphone addict goes:

"Huh..? Oh yeah... just a second...

I just need to try out this new Snapchat filter...

Hold on... it's important."

It's just a pain in the butt to talk to those people.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Cell phone roulette. Stack them in the middle of the table. First person to touch their phone pays.

Love doing this with my teenage boys.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
To me it's a sign of changing times. You can look at people with their phones out and think they're stupid or zombies or whatever. It's quite clear the world is turning inward and technology is driving that change.

Instead of seeing it as a problem (like how past generations saw internet, television, and probably even radio) it would be smarter, in my opinion, to connect with people where they are and where they are likely to stay.

V/R and A/R aren't going to bring people back to the "real world." They're going to take humanity deeper inward. Into the games and into the virtual world and even deeper inside themselves. We may already be living in such a world for all we know.

Technology is progressing at exponential rates. The way I see it, we can complain about change, or just be open to adapt to whatever comes of it.

People were zombies before smart phones. Trance is a state of focused attention and before we focused on phones it was computers, before that was television, before that newspapers etc.

I'd rather go with the flow of change and stay relevant than become like the 50 year olds of today complaining how no one will hire them because their skill sets don't match up. Meanwhile, the U.S. President is 72 years old and his legacy is forever secured because he met people where they were #president, #legacy #immortal.

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
There is a time and a place for everything.

If you were out to dinner with your Mom, would you constantly be checking your phone? What does that say to your mother about her importance in the moment of time she's spending with you?

Be present. Be in the moment.

How can you be present and be in the moment if you're looking onto a Candy Crush screen?

Yes - I agree that cell phones and technology have advanced the fields of communication in ways we could never dream of 50 years ago.

I'm not saying cell phones are a bad thing - what I am saying is there needs to be balance.

If you walk into a restaurant and it sounds like a library because everyone is on their cell phone - that seems to be an imbalance.

Anyway - to each his/her own.

Don't Blame Technology, Blame Yourself

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.