The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Jordan Peterson's Future Authoring program helped me achieve (literally) everything I wanted.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I've been meaning to post this for like... 3 months now, but havent. I wrote this post like 4 times, but I kept saving it in various text editors and it got lost a bunch of times.

So Jordan Peterson has this course called Self-Authoring.

NPR: The Writing Assignment That Changes Lives

It's like 14 or 36 bucks (i forget) and it will be the best money you've ever spent. It's exactly what it's title implies... you become the author of your self. Literally. Like writing a book. It's almost like The Law of Attraction, except it's not bullshit. Just search "Future authoring" or "Self Authoring review" on YouTube. There are a million videos of the things people have achieved with it. It really works and there are multiple studies on it's efficacy which I'll link to later . It's broken into different sections. Past Authoring is where you face any past demons. Self-Authoring is where you capitalize on your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses. Future-Authoring has you plan out your ideal future.

My demons have been dead for a long time, so that part didn't take long, but the Future Authoring? Holy shit. He has you list every goal you have and then uses some psychological voodoo to turn you into a veritable goal seeking machine. I went back and looked at what I wrote down a few months ago and realize that I had achieved everything that I put on the list. I literally had to go back and do it over again with new stuff because I had already finished everything on the list. Now it's just part of my standard repertoire.

How it came about was, he used to have these personality tests for companies to hire better employees. They were really effective, but the companies asked him "these work really well, but what can we do to make the employees we already have perform better." He didn't know at the time, but the question stuck with him. He started researching and came up with an early version of what would become the Self-Authoring Suite.

It's hard to explain how it works but think of your brain like a heat-seaking missile. It locks on the target and fires. It sets up your emotional goal-seeking system to just do whatever you have to achieve whatever it is you add.

I'll give a dumb example. I added bigger stuff than this, but it's the example that I added. But I don't want this example to make it seem like you can only add small shit. There are examples all over the net of people tripling their income, so again, it's not just for small stuff. The most clear example I have that illustrates how it works is I wrote down that I wanted to be neater. I had a bad habit on leaving shit everywhere, and I wrote that I wanted to be neater. It immediately makes you conscious of the shit you leave around and want to fix it. Literally the next day after writing that I started cleaning everything. It's like now that you have that goal in your head you're driven to take steps to fix it. Again, this same thing works with much bigger goals too. I mean I don't like to post too much about my personal life on here, but I've really done basically everything I wanted. I'm very happy with my professional life, my romantic life, my social life, etc.

This post was longer, but since losing it a few times I'm kind of jaded at the idea of writing it again. I'll add stuff as I think of it.

Here's JP talking about it:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGdMpdZXzs

Here's a few links to actual controlled trials they've done on it:

Self Authoring - Research

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Thanks for reminding me about this, I got so deep in dredging out my demons when I did the Past Authoring that I never finished the Future Authoring because I was so exhausted.

Since I bought it for life I think I might do this every 6 months or so, they're great exercises.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
I think what you refer to as 'psychological voodoo' is the integration part of it. It's great to see another example of how applied integration works so well (I wrote about a facet of this in my progress thread).

You start by fleshing out details in a few different areas, and then you bring it all together in a whole. It is the essence of how we function as conceptual beings. Wow. Great thread, I'm getting a lot more from this than I thought I would.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Husky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
571%
Dec 23, 2018
England
Great to see Dr. Peterson getting some love here!

I've also benefitted from his Self-Authoring Suite and absolutely devoured basically all of his lectures on YouTube (highly recommend the biblical lectures - even if you're not religious in the slightest).

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I had considered doing this but was on the fence. For $15 I'll give it a try.
The program is seriously amazing. I do the writing exercises on my own all the time, becaasue once you learn to use them you don't really need to use the site. You can essentially surgically remove any limiting beliefs just by journaling your thoughts surrounding them correctly. I've literally ripped some out piece by piece. Next step is going to be reading the research behind it so I can hack the program even further. But a lot of this has become part of my standard toolbox.

Great to see Dr. Peterson getting some love here!

I've also benefitted from his Self-Authoring Suite and absolutely devoured basically all of his lectures on YouTube (highly recommend the biblical lectures - even if you're not religious in the slightest).
And yea, he's actually quite popular on here if you search his name

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
378%
Aug 2, 2013
What a coincidence.. part way through his book 12 Rules For Life and saw this thread. Just bought the program thanks for the recommendation!

Vincent_Vega

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Dec 1, 2015
I find it really soothing listening to him. And the stuff he says definitely makes sense.
Thank you for the recommendation, i will take a look at all his other videos now.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
@ChrisV thanks for the thread! I wasn't aware of the program and it seems useful.

I had considered doing this but was on the fence. For $15 I'll give it a try.
Yup, just got it for myself and my partner.
Try "willink" or "rogan".
"rogan" worked for me, 20% saved thank you!

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Bryaninbangkok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Feb 4, 2018
Bangkok
It's very rare I come across a new resource after years of self-development study but this seems to be a very good tool, particularly the future authoring, we all know writing goals down and plans helps us, but this sounds even better. I am going to start filling it all in. When I recommend goal settings/journals/checklists to people, I will add this tool. Thank you

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
So there is no book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's 12 Rules for life, but it's a totally different thing from the Self-Authoring Suite.

It's very rare I come across a new resource after years of self-development study but this seems to be a very good tool, particularly the future authoring, we all know writing goals down and plans helps us, but this sounds even better. I am going to start filling it all in. When I recommend goal settings/journals/checklists to people, I will add this tool. Thank you

Yea, I've seen studies saying that people who set written goals are 30% more successful at attaining them. But he actually combines a lot of other things other than just written goal setting.

I find it really soothing listening to him. And the stuff he says definitely makes sense.
Thank you for the recommendation, i will take a look at all his other videos now.

I gleamed so much from his Lectures. He has two full university courses posted on his YouTube and they're amazing. Personality and it's Transformations and Maps of Meaning.

AF77

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 8, 2019
Thanks, was going to get the audible of 12 rules using a credit. Saved me a credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Its been on my todo for a while but I finally sat down for 1.5 hours this morning going through the first part and really like it. Plenty of books have exercises like this (that few people do) but having it an app with time limits and guided approach really helps to sit down and work your way through it.

Milkanic

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 17, 2012
Madison, WI
Thanks for reminding me about this, I got so deep in dredging out my demons when I did the Past Authoring that I never finished the Future Authoring because I was so exhausted.

I actually did the same thing. Would recommend doing Future Authoring first before tackling the other two (if at all). If dwelling on the past makes you feel like shit, an easy fix is don't dwell on the past.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Just bought the course... thank you. How big of a goal have you tried so far? I feel like certain ones of mine are unmentionably big, so I push those one or ten years into the future (surely I need to do more before I do that...). I suppose that's not an uncommon feeling?

jlwilliams

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2014
I just listened to his interview with Rogan. I had only heard about him a little so I didn't know much about him going into it. I was really impressed. Now seeing this has me thinking maybe I better not ignore the coincidence.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Bought it, will get around to doing it, been looking for something like this.

Actually, I remember Debbie Millman was on Tim Ferriss' podcast and she mentioned a similar exercise and how it has really shaped how things have come to pass in her life. Sounds a bit woo-woo, and I don't know if it's similar to what JP talks about, but worth looking into, and it's free.

Basically you write from the perspective of 10 years from now, and review annually.

Quote, from the podcast:

"So let say it is Winter 2027. What does your life look like? What are you doing? Where are you living? Who are you living with? Do you have pets? What kind of house are you in? Is it an apartment are you in the city are you in the country? What does your furniture look like? What is your bed like? What are your sheets like? What kind of clothes do you wear? What kind of hair do you have?

Tell me about your pets, tell me about your significant other, do you have children? Do you have a car? Do you have a boat? Talk about your career. What do you want? What are you reading? What are you making? What excites you? What is your health like?

And write this day, this one day ten years from now. So one day in the winter of 2027, what does your whole day look like? Start from the minute you wake up, brush your teeth, have your coffee or tea, all the way through until minute you tuck yourself in at night. What is that day like for you?

Dream big, dreams without any fear. Write it all down. You don’t have to share it with anyone other than yourself. Put your whole heart into it. And write like there is no tomorrow; write like your life depends on it because it does.

And then read it, once a year, and see what happens.

It’s magic."

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
How big of a goal have you tried so far?

I try not to get too personal on the forum, but you're welcome to PM me.

But I would just write your ideal life how you see it and don't worry about the time limits. The program walks you through that all.

Bought it, will get around to doing it, been looking for something like this.

Actually, I remember Debbie Millman was on Tim Ferriss' podcast and she mentioned a similar exercise and how it has really shaped how things have come to pass in her life. Sounds a bit woo-woo, and I don't know if it's similar to what JP talks about, but worth looking into, and it's free.

Basically you write from the perspective of 10 years from now, and review annually.

Quote, from the podcast:

"So let say it is Winter 2027. What does your life look like? What are you doing? Where are you living? Who are you living with? Do you have pets? What kind of house are you in? Is it an apartment are you in the city are you in the country? What does your furniture look like? What is your bed like? What are your sheets like? What kind of clothes do you wear? What kind of hair do you have?

Tell me about your pets, tell me about your significant other, do you have children? Do you have a car? Do you have a boat? Talk about your career. What do you want? What are you reading? What are you making? What excites you? What is your health like?

And write this day, this one day ten years from now. So one day in the winter of 2027, what does your whole day look like? Start from the minute you wake up, brush your teeth, have your coffee or tea, all the way through until minute you tuck yourself in at night. What is that day like for you?

Dream big, dreams without any fear. Write it all down. You don’t have to share it with anyone other than yourself. Put your whole heart into it. And write like there is no tomorrow; write like your life depends on it because it does.

And then read it, once a year, and see what happens.

It’s magic."

Not familiar with Debbie Millman, but it's not woowoo at all. JP is a former Harvard Professor and esteemed social scientist and the program is based on a number of different projects from different researchers like Dr. Pennebaker. He talks about it here:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9u5t3C0AI

Do you have any info on the Debbie Millman program? I'll look into it.

Edit, just found the transcript on Tim's website:

He had us do an exercise in that class where we had to envision the life that we could have if we pursued everything that we wanted with the certainty that whatever it is that we wanted, we would succeed.

I wrote an essay in July of 2005. It was supposed to be a five-year plan. He asked us to dream big, and not to edit and said that it had a bit of a magical quality that he experienced with his students over and over so, to be careful what we wished for. I created this essay with these long ranging, far fetched goals that I can tell you now, 12 years later, have almost all come true. It is spooky, spooky. And so, that’s an exercise I do now with my students. Milton has had one of the most profound impacts on my life, aside from the profound impact he’s had on the world. I feel really, really lucky that I have been a student of his and have gotten to interview him now numerous times.

And I feel that my relationship with him is certainly one of the luckiest things that has ever happened to me.

So people on this forum who know me will attest that I'm probably one of the least 'woowoo-ish' people they've ever met. I'm actually very anti-woo. I'm closer to a scientific fundamentalist. That being said, Debbie's review is almost exactly what I experienced with the Future Authoring program as well, so I would say it's pretty accurate. Mine took less time though, but I should have added more stuff.

Last edited:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
One thing I noticed with doing this programme is my future goals/fantasy life it has little to do with my actual actions. Time for a change I guess including location, jobs and people I hang out with.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I've bought it and will go through the self authoring program. Just had a retreat with a business coach and feel like I've gotten a lot of clarity around where I want to be and who I need to be to get there, think this program will really help bring it together.

plutownium

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 17, 2018
Hey man I just bought the program because of your post. I recognize the validity of the "heat seeking missile" metaphor from past life experiences... so I'm gonna give it a shot and try to handle my faults especially with the program.

struka

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Feb 22, 2018
TN
I enjoy Jordan Peterson so will give this a go. Looks like they are having 2 for 1 special.

JohnS

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Aug 8, 2017
USA
Thanks, I'm going to check it out... I just finished "12 Rules for Life" on Audible, so it must be a sign that I just came across this thread :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.