The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Maslow´s Hierarchy of Needs and it´s Implications

Anything related to matters of the mind

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
I recently quit my dayjob, and can´t help but feeling to lose ground especially after pursuing a rather passionate project.
Here I would like to discuss thoughts on Maslow´s hierarchy as they relate to the Unscripted philosophy and how they can shape our priorities.

Physiological Needs - Somewhere to live and eat, so not to wither away
Safety Needs - Enough income from a job or business to feel stable
Love and Belonging - Support and Happiness
Esteem - Having status, making something out of yourself
Self-Actualization - Passion?!

The hypothesis is that if you want to pursue passion, it´s way easier when you have your needs sorted out first.
Please feel free to discuss. How are your priorities?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Attachments

• maslow-hierachy-of-needs-min.jpg
    maslow-hierachy-of-needs-min.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 7

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
There are always exceptions to any rule, but I tend to agree with Abe. It's pretty hard to enjoy or create a great work - of art, literature, entrepreneurism, etc. - when you're spending every ounce of energy looking for your next meal in a dumpster, trying to escape rape gangs or trying to stay warm enough not to die of hypothermia.

But here's where we get derailed in life as as entrepreneurs. The higher up we progress through the hierarchy, the easier it is for us to function without meeting those (higher) needs. On the flip side it's also easy to ignore or neglect our businesses while we try to fulfill those needs. What Maslow overlooked or didn't mention was our ability to procrastinate and distract ourselves. We have a super human ability to create and focus on first-world problems as an escape from, or excuse for not pursuing self-actualization (or not building our businesses) once the other needs are fulfilled.

Comfort creates complacency.

Last edited:
D

Deleted50669

With regard to social belonging and strong bonds, I don't feel I need any of those to progress on my project. In fact, removing them almost entirely has made me more productive. I am also an extreme introvert, so I'd guess that for the more socially-inclined this lifestyle would be problematic.

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
There are always exceptions to any rule, but I tend to agree with Abe. It's pretty hard to enjoy or create a great work - of art, literature, entrepreneurism, etc. - when you're spending every ounce of energy looking for your next meal in a dumpster, trying to escape rape gangs or trying to stay warm enough not to die of hypothermia.

But here's where we get derailed in life as as entrepreneurs. The higher up we progress through the hierarchy, the easier it is for us to function without meeting those (higher) needs. On the flip side it's also easy to ignore or neglect our businesses while we try to fulfill those needs. What Maslow overlooked or didn't mention was our ability to procrastinate and distract ourselves. We have a super human ability to create and focus on first-world problems as an escape from, or excuse for not pursuing self-actualization (or not building our businesses) once the other needs are fulfilled.

Comfort creates complacency.

Agreed, which is why I would place business in the "Safety Needs" category. I would probably be waayy more relaxed if I had a rather non-killing well-paying job.

With regard to social belonging and strong bonds, I don't feel I need any of those to progress on my project. In fact, removing them almost entirely has made me more productive. I am also an extreme introvert, so I'd guess that for the more socially-inclined this lifestyle would be problematic.

Maybe your needs are already filled? You do have a family? Having a soulmate or the business first is debatable. As per Maslow, a business and safety need is put before love.
I consider status and self-actualization to be passion projects rather than real businesses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted50669

Agreed, which is why I would place business in the "Safety Needs" category. I would probably be waayy more relaxed if I had a rather non-killing well-paying job.

Maybe your needs are already filled? You do have a family? Having a soulmate or the business first is debatable. As per Maslow, a business and safety need is put before love.
I consider status and self-actualization to be passion projects rather than real businesses.
No family or significant other for me. I spend most of my time in solitude working. I don't mind that though, go on a date once in a while. But then I feel guilty that I went on the date instead of working on my app haha

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA

Yeah, I would, too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.