The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

SimplyNow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Feb 15, 2019
Hi Biophase and other friends,

Thank you for the discussion that you guys have here. I definitely learn a lot as I am reading through the conservation. I really appreciate Biophase is using his precious time to help us find a product to sell. I know you guys mention to add value to the products that we want to sell; however, it seems pretty hard to find such products. I want to get my feet wet by starting importing and selling a product. I have 2 products on my mind, and I would like to hear your thought process on whether I should pursue one of them. The first one is electric towel warmer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4UC3EQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 and the other is Sinde Air purifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JPY5H3V/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Thank you for your help,
Steve

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Guts

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jul 8, 2018
I tell my family and friends that my dream is to own an industrial machine lube factory. I wait for their eyes to glaze over as I envision my simple yet essential operation churning out cash year after year.
I don't think cash is going to be the only thing gushing out of that factory, you got yourself a winner!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Biophase and other friends,

Thank you for the discussion that you guys have here. I definitely learn a lot as I am reading through the conservation. I really appreciate Biophase is using his precious time to help us find a product to sell. I know you guys mention to add value to the products that we want to sell; however, it seems pretty hard to find such products. I want to get my feet wet by starting importing and selling a product. I have 2 products on my mind, and I would like to hear your thought process on whether I should pursue one of them. The first one is electric towel warmer: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4UC3EQ/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 and the other is Sinde Air purifier: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JPY5H3V/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Thank you for your help,
Steve

Sorry just seeing this now.

I'm going to say no to the towel warmer.

The car air purifier, I see a bunch of them at lower prices with bad reviews. Does the product work well?

SimplyNow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Feb 15, 2019
Sorry just seeing this now.

I'm going to say no to the towel warmer.

The car air purifier, I see a bunch of them at lower prices with bad reviews. Does the product work well?
No problem Biophase. Thank you for your reply. After reading your posts and others on this forum, I feel that I cannot add any improvements to the two products I had asked, so I did not buy them. I will try another business idea that fits with the CENTS criteria from MJ's books.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
D

Deleted58089

I had a new business that I wanted to launch this December. This business is selling winter product, think skis and snowboards accessory. The problem was that the R&D took so long that by the time October rolled around it was getting way to late to launch in 2018.

The manufacturer had an MOQ of 500 pcs with a price around $30, so it would have been at $15000 initial order. I've been going back and forth with them on then MOQ since if I didn't get these before November, I didn't know if I could move 500 units after Xmas.

Fast forward to yesterday. The R&D is done and it's production order time, but I tell them, we missed the season, I'm not going to order until July. They say that the ski season goes until April. I tell them it goes till March at the latest. Anyway, there's no way I can move 500 units in February and March at the tail end of the ski season. They ask me how many I want. I tell them 100 units. They say OK.

Moral of the story... During the busy season of the factory everyone else is ordering so the factory can give you high MOQs and prices. Now in December, all orders are done so they will take little orders. They agreed to do 100 units at the same price as 500 units.

Something to think about... and to put into your war chest for later on.

Now my order is only $3000. A much less riskier venture. What I will probably do is air ship them and try to get Jan-Mar sales at break even. This will give me good feedback and I can adjust for winter 2019 when my real launch will be.
Could you please tell us a little more about this new business? So, that we'll be able to understand your way of thinking and strategy when entering a new niche?
-Will you launch a single or a series of products?
-How did you come to choose this particular niche-product? That must be a high competitive niche with many well-established players, but with a high demand and variety of products.
-Which products did you choose to start with? Main high competitive products like helmets and boards or supplementary accessories like, I don't know, maybe ski masks, car roof racks or something like that. ( I am not asking for the exact product).
-Did you make major improvements to the product? Like new size, shape and extra features? Or just something like a better packaging, marketing, or listing?
-Would you (and when) launch white label products as well? Is there a certain point of brand recognition that you'd like to reach, with the launching of other improved/differentiated products, before doing that?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Could you please tell us a little more about this new business? So, that we'll be able to understand your way of thinking and strategy when entering a new niche?

Sure I’ve answered the questions below.

Launching a series. 3 from the start.

-How did you come to choose this particular niche-product? That must be a high competitive niche with many well-established players, but with a high demand and variety of products.

The niche isn’t that competitive actually. I identified it 2 years ago and it had one main company. Now it’s got 3.

-Which products did you choose to start with? Main high competitive products like helmets and boards or supplementary accessories like, I don't know, maybe ski masks, car roof racks or something like that. ( I am not asking for the exact product).
-Did you make major improvements to the product? Like new size, shape and extra features? Or just something like a better packaging, marketing, or listing?

Basically copied what was out there for 2 products. Improved the 3rd by better materials. Nothing major for improvements.

-Would you (and when) launch white label products as well? Is there a certain point of brand recognition that you'd like to reach, with the launching of other improved/differentiated products, before doing that?

I’d say the copied ones are basically white label products and the third is the main brand flagship to start.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Saw this somewhere online.

This will be great for people with small living spaces.

Looking at it very quickly, the aesthetics and perhaps the material can be improved? I am not fully versed in materials, but if we find something that looks better and is as sturdy, this could be a point of improvement.

The sample of comments is pretty small but the folding / unfolding mechanism seems to be an issue at time. It looks like sometimes it folds back by itself or it doesn't unfold properly.

@biophase , your thoughts?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Looking at it very quickly, the aesthetics and perhaps the material can be improved? I am not fully versed in materials, but if we find something that looks better and is as sturdy, this could be a point of improvement.

The sample of comments is pretty small but the folding / unfolding mechanism seems to be an issue at time. It looks like sometimes it folds back by itself or it doesn't unfold properly.

Looks decent, but kinda of expensive for what it is. I think you would have alot of R&D to do if you made this from something else. It's not something that I would personally do. It's hard to tell what the market size is like for this.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

austinbike

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Apr 22, 2012
Austin, TX

@S.Y. I love this idea.
The issue from the comments seems to be it accordions back in on itself. Which is understandable if you want it to collapse. But, a small bar placed on the sides or bottom could easily prevent this.
The other issue that I read is it holding up weight. This is understandable from

It also teams up with this table pretty well.

Do you have any experience with FBA? If you want someone to team up with on this, message me.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
It should be understood that many of the answers on Quora are posted by people who are self promoting. The one above is a good example.

Not only did she "see" it on Quora, she wrote and posted it there. The Chinese company she is advertising is a new business, set up to assist Chinese sellers on Amazon.

On the site there are three testimonials by Chinese people claiming to have achieved good results selling on Amazon as a result of signing up to the her company's service. For $89 per month they offer a service similar to Jungle Scout.

As I have posted before, use of such services will inevitably result in you entering crowded market, with massive competition.

Walter

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Interesting take on a standing desk...

Lightweight to ship and easy to manufacture.

Potential value skews: Sturdier construction, easier function, made for tall people.

EDIT: Another one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXOGS6W/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Flimsy, plastic, wobbly construction...

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Fastlane Liam

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Feb 10, 2018
United Kingdom
Interesting take on a standing desk...

Lightweight to ship and easy to manufacture.

Potential value skews: Sturdier construction, easier function, made for tall people.

EDIT: Another one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QXOGS6W/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Flimsy, plastic, wobbly construction...
Only problem is how often would you move a standing desk? Usually it gets plonked down and not moved unit you move house or something. In a workplace I guess if you move desks it might be valuable

Not shitting on you though I love the idea

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Wow. Folds up under your arm. So many clever inventions that look like origami nowadays...

Only problem is how often would you move a standing desk? Usually it gets plonked down and not moved unit you move house or something. In a workplace I guess if you move desks it might be valuable

Not shitting on you though I love the idea
All good. Not planning on pursuing this idea just came across it while Christmas shopping and thought I'd post it up for any takers.

I think travelers who are used to a standing desk would find value in it. Think hotel rooms, coffee shops, airport lounges, etc.

Attachments

• 1576519765076.png
    1576519765076.png
    130.2 KB · Views: 2

iceyblitz

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Oct 26, 2016
Sure I’ve answered the questions below.

Launching a series. 3 from the start.

The niche isn’t that competitive actually. I identified it 2 years ago and it had one main company. Now it’s got 3.

Basically copied what was out there for 2 products. Improved the 3rd by better materials. Nothing major for improvements.

I’d say the copied ones are basically white label products and the third is the main brand flagship to start.

Hi Bio,

Thanks for the awesome thread, im learning so much here. My question was: why did you choose to sell white label products, was it to test out the market first? and than you came with an improvement? or am i understanding this wrong?

pacmanz3451

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 14, 2016
Hello guys!

For last few days I've been searching for a product to start my journey on Amazon. Even though
I have 3 years of experience in selling dietary supplements on Ebay, Amazon is completely new marketplace for me and I see that the product and appropriate margins (amazon's fees are much higher) are more important than on Ebay. That's why I'm looking for a new product.

Based on data from Viral Launch I chose this one: Amazon.com: Cambro Polycarbonate Square Food Storage Containers 4 Quart With Lid - Pack of 2: Kitchen & Dining

Why?

1. A small number of customer reviews
2. Total rating 2.7/5
3. Area for improvement

Taking into consideration all of the above points they still make $16.5k in revenue on that product.

How to improve?

I think that It can be manufactured from more environmental friendly materials (people complain on BPA in food container).

As I mentioned above, all my conclusions about this product are based on the analysis of data from Viral Launch and I see that they can make a profit on a bad product.

I will appreciate opinion from more experienced Amazon sellers.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
@pacmanz3451 do you really want to pay $50 to $83 a month to be told where to find products with the most competition?

Viral Launch is yet another system like Jungle Scout that is virtually guaranteed that those who use their system to find hot selling items will be joining hundreds if not thousands of subscribers who are blinded by the statistics and buy inventory of identical products and list on Amazon.

Do a search for posts by Walter Hay about Jungle Scout. Here are just two to get you started:
EXECUTION I started my own business!
EXECUTION My FBA journey

You also need to appreciate that I estimate your chances of getting a manufacturer like Cambro to make any changes to their design or the plastic they use would be 0%.

I know because for many years I was a supplier to the plastic molding industry.

If you need more help just ask. You can do it via PM if you want to keep your idea confidential.

Walter

Gentlegiant

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 25, 2020
Canada
Hi @biophase! Thanks for doing this.

My brother, who never has a full charge on his phone recently gave me an idea. Why not make a lanyard you attach to your car keys (so you never forget it anywhere) which doubles as a USB cable? We spend most of our days close to a usb port anyway.

Like this: SN-RIGGOR 2 Packs Cell Phone Lanyard Strap USB Charging Cable, 33.5 inch Ruler Lanyards Neck Charger Cord for Phone/Keys/Keychain/Work Card Compatible with Phone XS MAX/XR/8 Plus (Black): Amazon.ca: Cell Phones & Accessories

I've seen it around on amazon and ebay, but it's pretty underground, and usually is poorly made. Not many people sell sucha product. My idea would be to make it more sturdy, and give the possibility to have many different graphic designs.

Last edited:

thefreedomoption

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 5, 2020
hey @biophase thanks for doing this

So I've taught myself to build these live edge epoxy river tables and I was wondering if amazon would be a good place to potentially sell them. I was thinking of selling smaller end tables as they don't weigh a shitload and can be shipped with cheap hairpin legs, so the customer just has to screw them on . I could pump out these very quick if needed and it costs me around $80-100 to make one but i'm sure i can cut that price in half.

I've seen them everywhere online except amazon, usually they go for around 200-500. you can also turn these epoxy river slabs into a bunch of things, wall art, cutting boards, servings boards, coasters etc. I know a bit about selling on amazon but nothing about the furniture game. any advice is appreciated , thanks!

also i attached a pic i found on google so you get an idea.

Attachments

• epoxy end table.jpg
    epoxy end table.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 27

jjlundy

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 9, 2019
Hey @biophase, I've read through most of your writing and have learned a lot from your experience in selling online. A team of myself and two others have developed a product and began beta testing with others, and we would love to hear your thoughts.

Product Idea: Wireless Meat Thermometer
Related Listing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7HDNC4/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Problem: This Product Category (Bluetooth/Wireless Meat Thermometers) does a few million in sales every month according to Helium10. However, top products are riddled with poor reviews (software lacking features, poor connectivity, privacy complaints, etc.). Not to mention, through our manufacturer research (your book was tremendously helpful @Walter Hay), we have found that 90% of the products in this category are simply private labeled with no additional value add, and 99% of products in the space are the same color.

Solution: We plan to add value to the consumer by addressing the handful of recurring issues that customers complain about across these products with our custom product+software.

We've been working directly with a manufacturer and are about to place our first order for 100 custom units. Our per unit cost to land for this initial order will be ~$30. Subsequent orders will be cheaper per unit. We aim to target the $75-100 price range.

While we plan to start by selling in-person, we believe selling on Amazon is our best next step. Our product will have batteries & be a consumer electronic. What should we look out for that we may not be considering?

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Oct 26, 2012
What should we look out for that we may not be considering?

So you're forgetting the most important one. Say you've made the best product ever to be seen in this space. How are you going to sell it?

"Build it and they will come " does not work.
"I'll use PPC to launch it" is not sustainable. You'll also need deep pockets to launch.

Figure out how to build an engaged audience. Understand their needs. Build a portfolio of products (i.e. a brand) around these needs.

Consider the days of incrementally improving random products to be over.

Product Idea: Wireless Meat Thermometer
This is an awful product. Commoditised. Low margin. Electronics = lots of returns. Nothing to distinguish yourself with - take a look at the related products. How will your image pop out in this sea of mediocrity?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This is an awful product. Commoditised. Low margin. Electronics = lots of returns. Nothing to distinguish yourself with - take a look at the related products. How will your image pop out in this sea of mediocrity?
I agree. I have been asked countless times about importing and selling electronic products and my answer is always NO.

It's not only because of returns. Compliance with regulations can be a minefield, and relying on certificates provided by Chinese manufacturers is extremely risky. Forged certificates are commonplace.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.