The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Computer Engineer that doesn't want to settle with a 9 to 5 job

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Hi guy, my name is Martin and i am from Argentina.
I just finished to read The millonario fastlane and right away sign up in this forum. From the title of this introduction, you know that a I'm I computer engineer that does't to settle with a job from 9 to 5, neither to have a boss that take all of my work. I've been working like freelance with a couple a clients like a programmer but I didn't enjoy really work in other persons projects.
Since I remember I always want to be an entrepreneur, and before that job I worked on a couple of projects in where I do the SEO. They were a bunch of website in different niche that gave my a couple bucks, enough to start. But then I take the advice of my family to begin to work in the "rights" jobs.
Well, after tried and hate it, I start another blog where I have been working the past year. I still have not gotten it to take off, but I have a couple ideas.
Finally, I want to say that I sign up in this forum because I've been reading a lot of all the hustling you do and the goals that you achieve every day and I hope that I can do it too. Also, I want to improve my english, so is a nice exercise force me to write something every day.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
Welcome aboard!

As a computer engineer, you already have valuable skills. One thing I've seen developers struggle with is being too general: they can help anyone with anything, and consequently have a hard time getting clients/projects.

What you might consider is focusing on a very specific niche, and finding problems you can solve within that niche. For example: medical billing companies, commercial construction companies, property management companies, etc. Pick 1 niche, find people in it, talk to them, and start helping them.

Problems are all around, and they're all opportunities.

You can do this.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Welcome to the forum Martin ! Make sure to read the GOLD and NOTABLE threads scattering in every section of the forum.

As an IT Tech and a web developer, I know the feeling of being able to do pretty much anything in the field, but disliking pretty much anything I start related to those fields. Have you tried looking at a more passive role/position ? Like Software Architect, Analyst, etc. Those titles let you take short contracts with customers.

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Welcome to the forum Martin ! Make sure to read the GOLD and NOTABLE threads scattering in every section of the forum.

As an IT Tech and a web developer, I know the feeling of being able to do pretty much anything in the field, but disliking pretty much anything I start related to those fields. Have you tried looking at a more passive role/position ? Like Software Architect, Analyst, etc. Those titles let you take short contracts with customers.

Thanks Jeff.
The truth is I don't enjoy software development anymore. Also, if I work as a arquitecto or analyst, I have to trade hours by money. I could earn good money but I am still limited by 24 hours a day. Thats because I started a blog a year before where I'm working in get organic traffic with SEO to then sell a course, ebook or product that I am going to create.

Schwarz

Half Man ; Half Goat
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Feb 16, 2019
Flanders | Belgium
Welcome, Computer Engineer definitely is an advantage. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome aboard!

SeanC

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Jan 2, 2019
Thanks Jeff.
The truth is I don't enjoy software development anymore. Also, if I work as a arquitecto or analyst, I have to trade hours by money. I could earn good money but I am still limited by 24 hours a day. Thats because I started a blog a year before where I'm working in get organic traffic with SEO to then sell a course, ebook or product that I am going to create.
Software engineer here too in the same boat as you. In Argentina too actually. Stopped enjoying software development so understanding where you're coming from, left the USA, traveling till I figure out my fastlane.

Here's an idea. Any SaaS you could startup?

Use your skills - I know, it's no fun - but build a prototype. Really, shouldn't take more than weeks to a month to have a viable prototype you could sign people up on. Outsource dev as soon as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ygtrhos

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Dec 27, 2016
Fellow engineer here, similar story, but not from IT. I am a mechanical engineer. Welcome to the forum!

Martin.G

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 31, 2019
Argentina
Software engineer here too in the same boat as you. In Argentina too actually. Stopped enjoying software development so understanding where you're coming from, left the USA, traveling till I figure out my fastlane.

Here's an idea. Any SaaS you could startup?

Use your skills - I know, it's no fun - but build a prototype. Really, shouldn't take more than weeks to a month to have a viable prototype you could sign people up on. Outsource dev as soon as possible.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'm working in something right now, but I don't reject any idea. Maybe is this venture fail or I want to expand to another business I'll try something like that. Now, I want to focus in a niche that I know a I can give value because I've been working and study for a year.

GoldMan79

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Oct 16, 2017
France
Hey man, I'm a CS engineer too. Try this browser extension "Grammarly" it will help you improve your English writing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...