The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Eric from Erics Cheesecakes

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
The Parable of the Sower .....

In the story, a sower sows seed and does so indiscriminately. Some seed falls on the path (wayside) with no soil, some on rocky ground with little soil, and some on soil which contained throrns. In these cases the seed is taken away or fails to produce a crop, but when it falls on good soil it grows, yielding thirty, sixty, or a hundredfold.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Eric, when you have 20 mins to spare, have a listen to this podcast. I think it will help with your mindset in not taking ‘no’ for an answer.

HARRY: An American Success Story, with Andy Frisella - MFCEO279

No one can tell you what to do, but I highly suggest you reach out to ZCP. I’ve never met or worked with him, but I have watched him vigorously break down people’s mental barriers here on the forum, time and time again. And here he is now that he routinely helps people and companies in your position.

Toward the end of the podcast Andy talks about taking every opportunity that comes your way. I wouldn’t pass this one up.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Thank You Sir,
Trust me, yes lack of money makes it harder, but l will always believe that l have an amazing product. Whether or not the masses ever get to find out, will always be determined. Despite all the negatives the are being confronted, giving up is not an option. Even though it was not implied. I know and will always believe that one day, the right person and the right circumstances will find out and be overwhelmed. However, until then....one day at a time.
Again Thank You

Just curious, but how are you getting the word out? Do you run any ads?
Or do you just open shop, put out physical flyers / shout to attract people who pass by your shop to come in?

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Have you hit up people like me who find money for businesses like yours all the time?

No. It got hard. You quit?

Nooooo Sir....I have not quit. I never quit. Quitting is not an option and never has been. I will always continue doing what l do well locally and personally.

As far as finding people who find money, you have to have something to offer that will make it profitable for them. A home bakery/non brick and mortar is not enough to take a chance. No matter how great a product you may have.

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
The Parable of the Sower .....

In the story, a sower sows seed and does so indiscriminately. Some seed falls on the path (wayside) with no soil, some on rocky ground with little soil, and some on soil which contained throrns. In these cases the seed is taken away or fails to produce a crop, but when it falls on good soil it grows, yielding thirty, sixty, or a hundredfold.

Know it well. Keep sowing until you find fertile land. However, unless one is blind and knows not where to sow, he should constantly seek for land that is fertile, and not cast among rocks or thorns. That would be downright silly.

Thats why l have not given up. I cast....many love...but love does not generate consistency. If there is no consistency, then there is not gains.
Casting will never cease, as love never dies.

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Nooooo Sir....I have not quit. I never quit. Quitting is not an option and never has been. I will always continue doing what l do well locally and personally.

As far as finding people who find money, you have to have something to offer that will make it profitable for them. A home bakery/non brick and mortar is not enough to take a chance. No matter how great a product you may have.
Have you asked? How many investors have you spoken to?

Or is this just your opinion?

Did you listen to the podcast? Why would anyone give a carpenter a chance at a lead role in a blockbuster film?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@Ericito your head is the path with no soil .......

You do the world a disservice by preventing them from your tasty products by being incredible close minded and with your limited mindset.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
You've said many ignorant things........ this may be #1.......
anyone coming behind reading this, please do not let this limiting belief enter your mind.......

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Just curious, but how are you getting the word out? Do you run any ads?
Or do you just open shop, put out physical flyers / shout to attract people who pass by your shop to come in?

No sir, I dont have a shop. Not even a storefront. (No brick and mortar). No shipping. Internationally known, but locally distributed. Pretty much the main reason why it has been so complicated with the regulations. If there was a shop and not a home bakery, this whole conversation probably would not exist.

These are my public communications.
www.ericscheesecakes.com
Eric Hurdle (@erics_cheesecakes) • Instagram photos and videos
Eric's Cheesecakes
Eric Hurdle (@eric_hurdle) | Twitter
Plus Google.

I'm known out there, all the way to NYC (personally delivered).

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Eric, didn’t read your whole thread, but caught the last few pages of arguments over your growth path.

This was your very first post, 19 months ago:

Hello,
Im Eric from Eric's Cheesecakes in NC. Its a home business bakery. Just want to get ideas on how to expand or grow my business or is it even a good idea to try to expand a food type business. I do have an amazing cheesecake, as l have been told. But in my situation, it cant go anywhere, even though l have a good customer base, its only local. So l just need information on how grow it, or is it a waste of time.
Thank You

And this is your last post:

No sir, I dont have a shop. Not even a storefront. (No brick and mortar). No shipping. Internationally known, but locally distributed. Pretty much the main reason why it has been so complicated with the regulations. If there was a shop and not a home bakery, this whole conversation probably would not exist.

These are my public communications.
www.ericscheesecakes.com
Eric Hurdle (@erics_cheesecakes) • Instagram photos and videos
Eric's Cheesecakes
Eric Hurdle (@eric_hurdle) | Twitter
Plus Google.

I'm known out there, all the way to NYC (personally delivered).

It’s the same post.

“Hi, I’m Eric. I make cheesecakes from home and can’t grow because I make cheesecakes from home.”

You are failing. Listen to what everyone is telling you. Right now, you’d make a great employee at someone else’s Cheesecake Business.

Or don’t, just close the thread and be happy with the job you’ve created for yourself for the rest of your life.

Are we about to see a thread stripped of being “Notable”?

Last edited:

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
@Ericito your head is the path with no soil .......

You do the world a disservice by preventing them from your tasty products by being incredible close minded and with your limited mindset.

Wow...You judge me as if l have never tried. That
Disservice would mean that l never gave it a shot.
Disservice would mean that l expect things to happen without putting in the work.
Disservice would mean that l have everything to make it happen, and did not make it happen.
Disservice would mean that l given up and thrown in the towel, because of the law.
I can't help the fact im not fortunate to have the proper resources to make a life long dream come true.
I have been open minded about this for years. But as l mentioned earlier, if you dont matter how good your are, if you dont have the capital to make it happen, then its not going to happen.

Every person has a situation unique to themselves.
But for you to judge me and call me close minded and limited is absolutely wrong.
I have not quit on making my product. If that only means small change for me, then so be it.
I am very good at what l do, and l will never ever let anyone or any law destroy my passion.

It is what it is.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Wow...You judge me as if l have never tried.
I judge you because you quit. If it was important, you would find a way.

Disservice would mean that l never gave it a shot.
Disservice would mean that l expect things to happen without putting in the work.
Disservice would mean that l have everything to make it happen, and did not make it happen.
Disservice would mean that l given up and thrown in the towel, because of the law.
Disservice in that you are withholding your excellent product from others due to your inability to see around a small pebble placed in your way.

I can't help the fact im not fortunate to have the proper resources to make a life long dream come true.
Yes you can. You can 'choose' to find the proper resources and overcome the obstacles.

I have been open minded about this for years.
Reread B.Cole's post and explain how you reach this conclusion.

But as l mentioned earlier, if you dont matter how good your are, if you dont have the capital to make it happen, then its not going to happen.
Get the capital.

Every person has a situation unique to themselves.
Or so they think....

But for you to judge me and call me close minded and limited is absolutely wrong.
Take a piece of paper. Draw one line down the middle. Reread this thread. On the left, write down things you were open minded about. On the right, write down things you were closed minded about. Post a pic of the paper.

I have not quit on making my product. If that only means small change for me, then so be it.
A disservice for those that haven't gotten to try your product. Due to you giving up.

I am very good at what l do, and l will never ever let anyone or any law destroy my passion.
You just did.

It is what it is.
Thus me posting the parable of my efforts.

Eric, you quit. You gave up. You made a mountain out of a molehill. It wasn't important to you. You made no change to make it so.

It really sucks.

Your cheesecake was awesome. No one will ever know because you are scared and too ignorant to ask for help and follow through on that help.

For all coming behind, reading this years from now ..... if any of this made a difference to you, got you to see things from a different perspective, got you to realize that YOU were the problem in your business.. could you DM me and let me know? Maybe some seed caught the wind and blew across the poor soil and landed somewhere with a little light, a little water, and a chance to grow.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
tenor.gif

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
Eric, didn’t read your whole thread, but caught the last few pages of arguments over your growth path.

This was your very first post, 19 months ago:

And this is your last post:

It’s the same post.

“Hi, I’m Eric. I make cheesecakes from home and can’t grow because I make cheesecakes from home.”

You are failing. Listen to what everyone is telling you. Right now, you’d make a great employee at someone else’s Cheesecake Business.

Or don’t, just close the thread and be happy with the job you’ve created for yourself for the rest of your life.

Are we about to see a thread stripped of being “Notable”?

No sir, my cheesecakes are proprietary to me. I only bake cheesecakes for my business.
I only bake for me and for sales.
I am not failing. I never fail. Failing is not an option, along with quitting.

Disservice in that you are withholding your excellent product from others due to your inability to see around a small pebble placed in your way.

Yes you can. You can 'choose' to find the proper resources and overcome the obstacles.

Get the capital.

Or so they think....

Take a piece of paper. Draw one line down the middle. Reread this thread. On the left, write down things you were open minded about. On the right, write down things you were closed minded about. Post a pic of the paper.

A disservice for those that haven't gotten to try your product. Due to you giving up.

You just did.

Eric, you quit. You gave up. You made a mountain out of a molehill. It wasn't important to you. You made no change to make it so.

It really sucks.

Your cheesecake was awesome. No one will ever know because you are scared and too ignorant to ask for help and follow through on that help.

For all coming behind, reading this years from now ..... if any of this made a difference to you, got you to see things from a different perspective, got you to realize that YOU were the problem in your business.. could you DM me and let me know? Maybe some seed caught the wind and blew across the poor soil and landed somewhere with a little light, a little water, and a chance to grow.

Good. I'm very pleased that you had the pleasure of enjoying my Original Creamy NY Style Cheesecake. The one where it all started.
No matter what you say or how you judge me, my dream is still alive and will never die.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
@Ericito
Would you mind sharing some more details about the business and yourself?

I read the whole thread, but might have got it wrong...

Is it a family business? How many people are involved in day-to-day operations?

Are you a member of any networking group that gathers bakers/confectionery makers/cheesecake makers (or any other groups)?

Hope it's not too personal.

Cheers Man

Ericito

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
Jul 22, 2017
North Carolina
@Ericito
Would you mind sharing some more details about the business and yourself?

I read the whole thread, but might have got it wrong...

Is it a family business? How many people are involved in day-to-day operations?

Are you a member of any networking group that gathers bakers/confectionery makers/cheesecake makers (or any other groups)?

Hope it's not too personal.

Cheers Man

Thank you Sir,
No its not too personal. Tho l try to be a bit cautious since its a public forum.

www.ericscheesecakes.com
Started as an LLC, now a Sole Proprietor
Small Home Bakery (Converted Garage Kitchen)
Owner/Operator
Solo Baker/Creator - 1 Person (Self)
No member of any groups other than Pastry Arts on Facebook
I can bake everything, but l focus on cheesecake because im pretty good at and its rare, because not everyone can bake cheesecake.
That is me, and who l am, and l am passionate at what l do.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
So don’t get capital. Grow it organically if you’re selling product. Hire another employee, sell more product, hire more. Eventually, franchise out, or bring on factory help build your recipes in mass quantity. Formulate a plan to preserve and distribute them. Hire more people to help manage that. F*ck man, go on Shark Tank. DO something.

But instead, you’re this:

Small slowlane business, unscaled. Dad’s dream wasn’t big enough, nobody would help him. Poor dad. Dad was a slowlaner. Maybe even a side walker.

If it survives for your children to carry on, maybe one of them will have the vision to grow it.

Jim Rohn again: “Don’t major in minor things.”

- B.Cole out.

Last edited:

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
@Ericito
1) How much does it cost / month approx to own a tiny bakery storefront in NC, including utility bills? Do you have a ballpark figure?

2) Do you have a day job? Are you able to set some money monthly for your cheesecake hustle? If yes, how much? $200? $500?

3) How many cheesecakes do you sell per month?

Last edited:

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
@Ericito, I see you still don't offer shipping. Is it at all possible to purchase one of your cheesecakes and you ship it to Scottsdale, AZ?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I don't understand, you say you're NOT giving up, but the rest of your language shows you've given up.

Are there not commercial kitchens for rent in your neck of the woods?

Get the capital.

Or so they think....

You just did.

It really sucks.

Needs to be read, over and over. Rep+

DisLife

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 6, 2008
I think a lot of the frustration you see on this thread is that from what you've posted we don't see you exhausting every possible way to grow the business. You may have done some things outside of the thread that we don't know about, but our information is limited to what you've posted. I think everyone here wants you to succeed. You have a cheering section and a coaching section trying to help you get moving forward.

You've hit a roadblock and rather than using it as a stepping stone you've pivoted sideways trying to get around it with the cheesecake pops. That's great and nice job on creative thinking! Does it get you around the roadblock? Use the creative thinking to look at alternatives. None of the businesses you've talked to are willing to share space. I don't know how many you've talked to, but I think the majority on here would say you haven't talked to enough. It only takes one. How many have you talked to? 10? 100? 500?

What about alternatives to a business? Are you a member of a church? Have you contacted churches in your area? I did a quick search and found 3 churches in my immediate area (California) that have licensed commercial kitchens that advertise for rental. Talk to the churches in your area and maybe you could donate some time and bake cakes for their homeless outreach mission in exchange for access to their facilities. Elks lodge or moose lodge or any community organization that serves food. Maybe even an HOA with a clubhouse.

The thing is, you've identified a couple of things stopping you from growing. The entrepreneur in each of us here is shouting for you to find a solution and conquer it. I think we all agree that you haven't quit. It's just that we don't see you facing the challenge and solving the problem.

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
@Ericito first off...awesome thread, awesome business, awesome pivot to the cheesecake on a stick. 2ndly... I do not know @ZCP but he or she sure seems to be rooting for you. Last question. Have you contacted zcp? Not pertaining to that 1st order you sent but to see if there is an opportunity for both of you? You got the passion. Do you have the mentality? I'm rooting for you.​

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think a lot of the frustration you see on this thread is that from what you've posted we don't see you exhausting every possible way to grow the business.

And that he has a great product, some here have tried it. Very productocracy potential...

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I did a quick search and found 3 churches in my immediate area (California) that have licensed commercial kitchens that advertise for rental.
Churches are also a brilliant source of customers.

After services, many churches may have a teatime session for folks hungry after a sermon. Plus, do not forget that churches also have fairs, where they always need vendors and good products.

Even if these avenues would expect a bit of charity form your side, you can use these avenues as new channels to rope in people who like your baked goods AND will actually become your paying customers. And you can test new baked goods there.

I'm with @Scot on the investment round, if you need more heavy equipment.

My mum has a friend who actually is going through a similar route as you do, except that she bakes sourdough bread out of her home.

She spins a twist on them by putting in great ingredients such as raisins, green tea and chocolate.
Makes for a kickass bread that bursts with flavour.

She went the church route, and she got so many orders that the only thing stopping her from fulfilling more orders was the lack of ovens.

So she went and crowdfunded for a new one.

Not even online. Word just went round the neighbourhood.

However, do note that some churches may have parishioners or elders who have a slight distaste towards 'marketplace activity'. Best is to check with the pastors and elders beforehand to see if they are welcome to it.

I don't understand, you say you're NOT giving up, but the rest of your language shows you've given up.
Might be a slight burnout from the recent hit.

Expected...OP will surely bounce back quickly. Lots of help and support coming in hot here.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007