The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Digital Marketing Agency, the new Podcasting?

adiakritos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
May 30, 2011
I run a digital marketing agency.

Seems like everyone is doing it now...

Two, three years ago everyone was talking about starting a podcast.

Now it seems the rage is "digital marketing agencies".

Is this what happens any time a guru promotes these businesses as a great business to start?

Suddenly they're on every street corner?

IMO, If some top-tier guru/influencer is selling you a course on "how to start a [blank] business" it's probably not a business you want to start.

Now that I think of it. I'm going to be selling shovels in this gold rush, and I'm happy I found the niche at the start of the rush. As long as the gurus drive demand I should do also do quite well. But yeah - I wouldn't try to start an agency in this climate myself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JustKris

Writing and talking, basically.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
221%
Oct 16, 2012
In the mountains
Echoing some of the earlier posts, it just feels like the flood of SEO or PPC agencies a few years back, but packaged differently.

Even though there are a ton of "digital agencies", there's still a need for quality work. And there is a massive difference between some schmo who took a Google Adwords training and someone like @Andy Black .

And for a lot of businesses, agencies make more sense than trying to hire out a number of full-time employees or manage a stable of contractors.

What is really insidious are the digital marketing agency gurus who are promising every random person off the street the "rock-solid blueprint" to getting 100k/mo with absolutely no experience. It's insane.

Usually, these are people with semi-successful agencies who want to pivot into information products to rubes. Dude, if you were really making $1 million per year with your agency, why are you selling coaching for $297?

(Full disclosure: I'm a marketing consultant for B2B SaaS companies. I guess I could technically be an "agency", but I offer a pretty specialized service that I developed after years at a tech company and freelancing. I am certainly not an expert on everything.)

marfling

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Dec 29, 2016
Brighton, UK.
I didn't want to stick my neck on this, but I think I will.

I've been in the web design/marketing area since 1996-1997. I've seen a lot of shit come and go in many of the areas.

I personally feel digital marketing is completely and utterly saturated.

Meaning, I can go on UpWork and find thousands of people with PPC or SEO or Social This and That in their profiles and I can pick any flavor of UpWork contractor I want. It is saturated from a "spin the wheel and win a digital marketing agency today" perspective.

I could probably walk down my street, throw a dart, and it would land and prick someone. And that someone would probably be a "digital marketing agency" person.

Where it is NOT saturated is with quality. Original thinkers, doers, mavericks, people who get performance or care for their clients and actually get their hands dirty with things they didn't hear from a blog.

Also, the hardest thing in digital marketing is not the work or skill, its winning the client. The "foot in the door" that Lex speaks about.

Any of these new digital marketing agencies can walk down their street, enter a club and ask to manager their Instagram profile. But hardly none of these people will research companies that do $100m a year with 100+ employees and gatekeepers in a skyrise and try to pitch them.

The easy shit is walking into a club during the day where the manager is right there wiping down tables in the off hours. The hard shit is going after bigger catches that require more work upfront or getting clients that aren't just "on the street" and require a bit more crowbar.

So yes, it is saturated from a number of people's game.. BUT its not saturated in the quality/value/thinking/bigger fish game.

If you can distance yourself away from the "numbers" people, you will have it made.

This is one reason I don't price myself low. Nothing against people who do, but I try to find reasons to stay out of the same pool the numbers people are in even if it means pricing myself out of certain clients, niches, industries, verticals, etc

Completely agree with this. I don't think I could price myself low and be all of the things you bolded above either, it takes time to deliver that type of quality. I do have clients on a lower retainers and I still approach them the same way, I just can't get my hands as dirty.

I also find that this approach leads to a phenomenally high retention rate. All of my clients consistently feedback on my proactivity and ideas. Amazingly, I think this differentiates me from full service agencies!

Pat D. Rick

uhhh...42?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Jun 11, 2016

Eric Flathers

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Feb 9, 2019
Nomad
I run a digital marketing agency.

I agree with everyone who is saying it is easy entry business because all you need is a laptop and a social media account.

A lot of these people follow Gary V and think they can be like him. He was doing way before anyone else. And what most people don't know is most of his wealth came from investing in startups.

Digital marketing can be profitable but you have to be a cut above the rest to make any real money. And you have to have a team of people to handle all the accounts and create all the content. Just like the old school marketing companies had departments, think Mad Men.

I get pitched all the time by these so-called digital marketing agencies, yet when you do a little research you find they don't have the followers or the know how to deliver on the promises they make.

Social Agency Meme.jpg

Seems like everyone is doing it now...

Two, three years ago everyone was talking about starting a podcast.

Now it seems the rage is "digital marketing agencies".

Is this what happens any time a guru promotes these businesses as a great business to start?

Suddenly they're on every street corner?

IMO, If some top-tier guru/influencer is selling you a course on "how to start a [blank] business" it's probably not a business you want to start.

jetsetter883

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Mar 15, 2012
The reason there are a lot of digital marketing agencies is because there is a lot of demand for digital marketing.

There certainly is more quantity than quality these days, but that’s a good thing since it allows actual talent to break through.

It sure as heck beats some shady “affiliate marketing” scheme or whatever other bs money grab people are pouncing on nowadays for a quick buck. Even then, the cream still rises to the top.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
Jop, that's exactly what I did for the last 8 months. I can tell if you're a newbie it makes sense since you're getting paid to learn business. Yet I wouldn't recommend it as a long-term thing.

It can be very frustrating since clients can hop off very quickly and lead gen (Upwork, LinkedIn, ...) get's more and more competitive.

Recently I decided to quit the gig I was working on and had the choice: Digital marketing agency or a CENTS business. I asked Emmanuel Fredenrich (multi-millionaire, operating in a very similar field) and he told me the following:

"To answer your question, I would stay away from the Facebook ads agency
unless you have an exceptional track record with FB Ads (i.e over
$500k-$1 million in profitable ad spend). It's an overcrowded space, low
barrier of entry and hard to automate. I would look into a business with
higher entry barriers, a bigger need (i.e at least $1 billion industry)
and that you can automate easily.

Unless you're a complete newbie, in which case you should just focus on
getting sales. But if you're already making money, then look for an
opportunity that fits MJ's book perfectly."

So that's what I'm doing right now and I think it's a solid approach.
Ahh so all I gotta do is get into a high barrier of entry CENTS business that I can easily automate. Good idea! ;)

Also, client retention and beating out competition is a nature of most businesses and should be expected I imagine?

Ive been doing digital marketing for over a year now. Haven't grown it exponentially or anything, but continue to deliver good results for my current clients. I dropped a few and then went into real estate for a bit, but now I decided to get back into this and add some more clients. Just for context.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Ahh so all I gotta do is get into a high barrier of entry CENTS business that I can easily automate. Good idea! ;)

Also, client retention and beating out competition is a nature of most businesses and should be expected I imagine?

Ive been doing digital marketing for over a year now. Haven't grown it exponentially or anything, but continue to deliver good results for my current clients. I dropped a few and then went into real estate for a bit, but now I decided to get back into this and add some more clients. Just for context.
I think Digital Marketing freelancing is like blogging, podcasting, YouTube, Instagram, etc.

There’s a perceived low barrier to entry because it’s easy to put a sign up saying you’re open for business.

In reality all of the above have an actual high barrier to entry of being able to make it work.

Of being able to get initial sales, repeat business and referrals. Of getting a steady stream of new clients, until fulfillment becomes the new problem. Of systematising, delegating, outsourcing, focusing, positioning, building a team, having and communicating a vision, etc.

AKA growing a business that can run without you.

Just my 2c.

TheKeywordsGuy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Aug 20, 2018
I think it's been the case for a while now. Even three years ago, every self-proclaimed online entreoreneur was starting a "digital marketing agency", with a generic WP theme, the mandatory photo in suit on the About page, and reaching out to freelancers making deals and telling them how much work they'd have for them, only to never be heard of again.

DrunkFish

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Mar 25, 2015
Missouri
I think Digital Marketing freelancing is like blogging, podcasting, YouTube, Instagram, etc.

There’s a perceived low barrier to entry because it’s easy to put a sign up saying you’re open for business.

In reality all of the above have an actual high barrier to entry of being able to make it work.

Of being able to get initial sales, repeat business and referrals. Of getting a steady stream of new clients, until fulfillment becomes the new problem. Of systematising, delegating, outsourcing, focusing, positioning, building a team, having and communicating a vision, etc.

AKA growing a business that can run without you.

Just my 2c.
Yeah i'm with you on all of this. Sure there's a lot of people doing it and theres competition. Sure some people want freelancers to work with them and then ditch them and never hear from them again.

These things happen in all business. I had been working with the same freelancer for a year until they went MIA on me. I now work with a partner that's here locally. I do use a photographer and videographer and sometimes if I need a more intense graphic, a graphic designer. But other than that, my partner and I do the strategy, content creation, posting, ads, etc. It's been working out well, which is why I decided to come back to it and try to get some more clients to help out.

Like other businesses, once we reach a higher amount of clients, probably 7+, I imagine we willing experience some growing pains / topping out. I think hiring someone to answer the more simple emails would probably alleviate that as well as just making sure we do have some systems in place at least.

Just seems like a lot of the 'issues' with the digital marketing space people are bringing up are the same issues with a lot of businesses and are what separates people who aren't actually interested in doing it as a full time income vs people who are. Of course.

See the same thing with real estate, forex, stocks, info products, amazon books, yada yada

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
“A market is never saturated with a good product, but it is very quickly saturated with a bad one. ~ Henry Ford”
― M.J. DeMarco, The Millionaire Fastlane

BOOM!! Truth Revealed!

Same applies to Digital Marketing/Web design

Jake Bauman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Feb 12, 2019
Hey MJ, I've actually been learning and have been creating the foundations for my own. Do you think that it's not viable? Or just indicators from gurus that what they're teaching might not be it?

I feel like if you can master the skills of digital marketing, which many people fail to take the time to do, you can use this to your advantage by promoting your own product/business. I was thinking about a digital marketing business but realized it might be hard to scale considering it takes time to manage accounts.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I was thinking about a digital marketing business but realized it might be hard to scale considering it takes time to manage accounts.
What if it doesn’t take time to manage accounts?

Or if it does, what if it doesn’t take *your* time?

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
Even though the market is becoming saturated with digital marketing agencies, there's still a lack of quality ones out there. Many of my clients have been burned in the past by "digital agencies."

Delayed project deliveries, incorrectly estimated project costs, agencies who have completely disappeared, "creative" companies who don't have a clue about technology or security, and so on...

These negative experiences have made many companies super gunshy to do business with my company. In many of these cases, we have to start with small projects to build up trust. Only then can we convert them to larger clients. And, depending on how badly they were burned in the past, it can take some time to get them on our side.

Quality communication and organized project management are key to building trust. Sure, results matter as well, but you can't walk in the door with results - results can take time. However, you can walk in the door with great communication and an organized plan.

The industry is definitely suffering from agencies being run by entrepreneurs without any business acumen.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Quality communication and organized project management are key to building trust.
Spot On! I need to implement some kind of Project management system. Good Advice!

If some 'agency' read this thread, pick all the negative points mentioned, fixed those issues in there business and implement the tips mentioned here, doesn't that 'agency' will rock the market? hmm.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Even though the market is becoming saturated with digital marketing agencies, there's still a lack of quality ones out there. Many of my clients have been burned in the past by "digital agencies."

Delayed project deliveries, incorrectly estimated project costs, agencies who have completely disappeared, "creative" companies who don't have a clue about technology or security, and so on...

These negative experiences have made many companies super gunshy to do business with my company. In many of these cases, we have to start with small projects to build up trust. Only then can we convert them to larger clients. And, depending on how badly they were burned in the past, it can take some time to get them on our side.

Quality communication and organized project management are key to building trust. Sure, results matter as well, but you can't walk in the door with results - results can take time. However, you can walk in the door with great communication and an organized plan.

The industry is definitely suffering from agencies being run by entrepreneurs without any business acumen.
Agreed.

“We can’t promise results, but I can promise we follow a process, and that process is this ...”

Cue weekly reports, copious communication, updates, tasks being created and completed.

I’ve had brand new clients refer us before we’ve even got going with them purely because of our communication and organisation.

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
I’ve had brand new clients refer us before we’ve even got going with them purely because of our communication and organisation.

Same. That's good stuff.

I was once sitting in a clients office talking through a web design project when I posed one of my standard questions, "In your opinion, what will need to happen with this project for you to consider it a success?" The response I got wasn't what I expected (I just looked back at my notes from this meeting to confirm what the client said).

The business owner said... "It's already a success because of your responsiveness and communication."

This was crazy. We hadn't even started design or development yet, and we had already positioned the project as a success in the business owner's mind. I expected the business owner to quote some ROI number that we needed to meet, but nope.

Ryan G

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Dec 6, 2017
Iowa
If some 'agency' read this thread, pick all the negative points mentioned, fixed those issues in there business and implement the tips mentioned here, doesn't that 'agency' will rock the market? hmm.

Ha, good point.

However, I will say that many agencies (both established and new) have big egos. Granted, I suppose we all do at times. Anyway, I don't see these agencies taking the time to look in the mirror and fix their own issues. They'll spend time researching the latest marketing or design trends and fads, but they won't spend the time fixing the unsexy things... like project management, communication, organization, etc.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I think that it is a gold rush, But at the same time the vast majority of people who buy guru courses dont do anything with them. They watch them, feel good about action faking (and feel like they are moving somewhere) then move on to the next shiny object.

Plus one big barrier to entry is having to actually learn how to sell/cold call/generate leads for your business plus actually deliver results, weather its from you or an employee. These arent exactly beginner friendly.

I'll fully admit, I was on the shopify train in 2016 - 2018. I made decent money, life changing money at the time. But i decided to move on from it. I learned a lot about facebook advertising and social media marketing over those 2 years, and now I use what i learned to run ads for clients and genuinely help them.

At the end of the day there will always be biz op seekers, who will move on to the next shiny object all the time. There are people who sell their product on shopify and amazon that make money and change the world. Same thing with freelance digital marketers and marketing agencies. Just because there is a guru course on it doesnt mean you cant find your own way to add value to the world.

But there will also be hungry people like me who want to help and serve our clients as best as we can and really get them results. And that can be achieved through lead generation. The internet is an extremely vast place and there are around 30 million small businesses in the US alone. Figuring out how to solve their problems and getting 10 of them to pay you $1500 a month isn't that hard and too many people over complicate it.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Got some stiff competition guys. Saw a gigantic banner at the Chicago Auto Show this morning right next to Chevy's logo and a Time Dealer of the Year banner. It said, "Web Design, Development and Hosting americaneagle.com"

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Different strokes for different folks.

I agree with @MJ that it is the new fad.

I have a lot of friends who are trying to start "agencies" ... and I know the only reason that they are doing is because they admire Gary V. I love Gary, too... but you really think you can compete with the guy in that arena?

“A market is never saturated with a good product, but it is very quickly saturated with a bad one. ~ Henry Ford”
― M.J. DeMarco, The Millionaire Fastlane

BOOM!! Truth Revealed!

Same applies to Digital Marketing/Web design

Spot on ^

With all that being said... that are the rare few who do versus the many who talk.

While I'm on the subject... Gary V says "Putting Entrepreneur in your Instagram profile doesn't make you an Entrepreneur you F*cking dick!"

And yes, that is a word-for-word quote. :rofl:

Telling people you run an "agency" is one thing... actually running one with hundreds of employees is a different thing all together.

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
I also think "agency" was just a marketing term. In reality what most courses teach is how to become a highly paid freelancer, and not a typical agency with dozens and hundreds of employees with big name clients.

Of course you can always take it to that level if you want to

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
I was supposed to meet some chick for a date but she flaked so I had 3 hours and bought a domain, created a catchy brand with a logo and name, posted some craigslist ads in top metropolitan areas in the US for marketing consulting, and in a day I got some accounting firm to reach out. I hopped on the phone and had a great conversation with them for 2 hours about their business and goals and they said "how much do I owe you"? and I said "a thousand dollars". They said "thats it"??? and sent me a thousand dollars via paypal.

Maybe that's rare...idk. The less F*cks you give the better I guess.

Plus I even enjoyed the conversation. I talked about systems, how she can strategically market her business. How she needs to delegate certain tasks and which to do herself. The best programs and sites and apps to use for the different parts of her business. What to post in order to build a local following and how that ties in with her personality.

So now she's sending me a grand. I was chilling in some shorts at home. F*ck, if I could do this shit while on vacation or something...GOLDEN haha.

Here's the logo I made

Media mousetrap (catch more customers)

I think there's lots of opportunities out there. Just use some creativity. It's more fun that way anyways.

Attachments

• mt media.png
    mt media.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 58

Eric Flathers

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Feb 9, 2019
Nomad
I just started to use Instagram for my business. And have been slammed with DM's and people commenting on my posts trying to get me to hire their Digital Marketing Agency or they want to be my Social Media Manager.

After looking into a bunch of these people I noticed about 90% don't know what they are doing. I base this on the fact they don't have many followers, their feed is all over the place and doesn't have any theme or consistency to it. Their posts are cut off because they are not formatted correctly. How are you going to help my account grow if you can't even grow your own?

There are a bunch of gurus out there selling courses like another forum member stated. The low entry barrier is causing all these want to be's into spamming everyone they can. Out of the 2 dozen who contacted me maybe 2 seemed legit. They had good pages, a website, followers and genuine engagement.

Yes, I think the market is over saturated but if you are the cream of the crop and really know what you are doing and can get results for your clients then you have a fighting chance. Because some of these people's accounts and pitches were terrible if you have half a clue on how to use photoshop you are already ahead of half these people.
~ EF

vshetty.vs

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 11, 2014
Pune
I just started to use Instagram for my business. And have been slammed with DM's and people commenting on my posts trying to get me to hire their Digital Marketing Agency or they want to be my Social Media Manager.

After looking into a bunch of these people I noticed about 90% don't know what they are doing. I base this on the fact they don't have many followers, their feed is all over the place and doesn't have any theme or consistency to it. Their posts are cut off because they are not formatted correctly. How are you going to help my account grow if you can't even grow your own?

There are a bunch of gurus out there selling courses like another forum member stated. The low entry barrier is causing all these want to be's into spamming everyone they can. Out of the 2 dozen who contacted me maybe 2 seemed legit. They had good pages, a website, followers and genuine engagement.

Yes, I think the market is over saturated but if you are the cream of the crop and really know what you are doing and can get results for your clients then you have a fighting chance. Because some of these people's accounts and pitches were terrible if you have half a clue on how to use photoshop you are already ahead of half these people.
~ EF

Just went through exact scenario a couple of days ago, I posted on a facebook copywriting group looking to hire a technical copywriter. BIG MISTAKE.

The next morning I found my email flooded by "experts". So far, I've got 34 prospects but honestly, the competition is crap. Most of the guys are like this
Screenshot from 2019-02-21 12-53-45.png
Only 3 of them had ever done this kind of work before. I honestly prefer overpaying for a job done right rather than wasting a week or two for some crappy work done for free.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Just went through exact scenario a couple of days ago, I posted on a facebook copywriting group looking to hire a technical copywriter. BIG MISTAKE.

The next morning I found my email flooded by "experts". So far, I've got 34 prospects but honestly, the competition is crap. Most of the guys are like this
View attachment 23742
Only 3 of them had ever done this kind of work before. I honestly prefer overpaying for a job done right rather than wasting a week or two for some crappy work done for free.
@Bekit ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.