The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to legally pay no taxes... possible?

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
380%
Aug 2, 2013
How to avoid paying taxes:

Step 1: Acquire a large portfolio of under-valued rental properties in appreciating areas. Make sure you’re timing the market to be near the end of the “slump” phase of the Real Estate cycle so you can buy once values have troughed.

Step 2: During the “recovery” phase of the cycle property values will be increasing— either renovate to add value or simply hold since you bought them at a discount while renting them out to cover expenses.

Step 3: During the “boom” phase of the cycle the values will be at peak, cash up on your properties by refinancing or getting Home Equity Lines of Credit on all of your (now appreciated) properties. You now should have access to hundreds of thousands of dollars (even millions?) and because it’s considered DEBT you won’t be taxed on this money and can spend as you wish.

Step 5: Make sure to lower your rents/increase expenses to show a loss on your properties to avoid paying taxes.

Step 6 (optional): Either move back in to your parents house or move to Vietnam to make the money stretch until old age.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this plan will work and am not liable for any legal issues that ensue. Let me know if you try it though-seems legit!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014
1. No.
2. Make more money.
3. Buy investments that allow you to divest MOST of your tax burden while building your net worth (IE: MF real estate)

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014
If you are a US citizen, one option to explore is moving to Puerto Rico, although there have been some people pushing to change the laws there, so who knows how long it will last. But if you get in before these tax incentives change you are grandfathered in through contract with the gov for something like 20-30 years.

This is from my own research, I am not a tax professional, so you would have to do your own research and consult a tax attorney who knows PR laws but the basics as I understand them are:

1) Move a business to the island and pay only 4% in tax
2) If you move yourself to Puerto Rico you will pay zero in capital gains
3) If you set up a bank or hedge fund you will pay only 4%
4) Other options.

Residents of PR do not pay US taxes, only the local taxes of PR such as those listed above, this is the only place in the world as far as I am aware that this is true. If you live in any country, you have to report your income and pay taxes back to the US when you exceed 100K in personal income.

Of course to do these things you must personally spend 183 days or more in PR each year. There may be some other option to this as well, like not being on the mainland US for greater than 50% of the year due to living in PR and travel to other countries, I have thought about but not vetted this idea...because I have no immediate plans to live to PR.

You can find a lot of information online. Here is one of many to start with.

A Detailed Analysis of Puerto Rico’s Tax Incentive Programs - Premier Offshore Company Services (random page i found by a quick google search - but there are tons if you just search google)

Also, it is not smart to try to evade taxes doing anything questionable or illegal. But there is nothing wrong with structuring your life and making decisions to reduce the taxes you pay. Heck moving from one state to another can have profound impact on this.

I personally value being a US citizen, at the moment, so to me the PR option is the only viable solution if you are wanting to have very very low taxes.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If you are a US citizen, one option to explore is moving to Puerto Rico, although there have been some people pushing to change the laws there, so who knows how long it will last. But if you get in before these tax incentives change you are grandfathered in through contract with the gov for something like 20-30 years.

This is from my own research, I am not a tax professional, so you would have to do your own research and consult a tax attorney who knows PR laws but the basics as I understand them are:

1) Move a business to the island and pay only 4% in tax
2) If you move yourself to Puerto Rico you will pay zero in capital gains
3) If you set up a bank or hedge fund you will pay only 4%
4) Other options.

Residents of PR do not pay US taxes, only the local taxes of PR such as those listed above, this is the only place in the world as far as I am aware that this is true. If you live in any country, you have to report your income and pay taxes back to the US when you exceed 100K in personal income.

Of course to do these things you must personally spend 183 days or more in PR each year. There may be some other option to this as well, like not being on the mainland US for greater than 50% of the year due to living in PR and travel to other countries, I have thought about but not vetted this idea...because I have no immediate plans to live to PR.

You can find a lot of information online. Here is one of many to start with.

A Detailed Analysis of Puerto Rico’s Tax Incentive Programs - Premier Offshore Company Services

Also, it is not smart to try to evade taxes doing anything questionable or illegal. But there is nothing wrong with structuring your life and making decisions to reduce the taxes you pay. Heck moving from one state to another can have profound impact on this.

I personally value being a US citizen, at the moment, so to me the PR option is the only viable solution if you are wanting to have very very low taxes.

@CareCPA @GlobalWealth

What do you guys know about Puerto Rico? This is very interesting to me. Especially considering the hedge fund thing.

For that matter... What about the Virgin Islands?

Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Is democracy really the answer? I am starting to wonder.
The thing is the US was never intended to be a democracy. The great men that founded this nation were well aware of the perils of democracy.

Even to this day the US is technically a Constitutional Republic, however, the law of the land has been subverted.

It's ironic that the 13 colonies that revolted against Britain are some of the most liberal and heavily taxed states in the nation.

Once again history repeats itself.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
@CareCPA @GlobalWealth

What do you guys know about Puerto Rico? This is very interesting to me. Especially considering the hedge fund thing.

For that matter... What about the Virgin Islands?
@gilman pretty much nailed it. You do need to show significant connection to PR to make this work.

If you move your business there you need an office and employees, not just virtual office.

Basically you get a 90% federal tax credit at corporate level. If you pay yourself via dividends, you pay zero personal tax as long as you live there.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
The thing is the US was never intended to be a democracy. The great men that founded this nation were well aware of the perils of democracy.

Even to this day the US is technically a Constitutional Republic, however, the law of the land has been subverted.

It's ironic that the 13 colonies that revolted against Britain are some of the most liberal and heavily taxed states in the nation.

I was just about to post this lol.

A constitutional republic, legally solidifying the rights of the individual, was one of the greatest achievements in the history of man.

Unfortunately, it's been completely shafted and the US is on course to become more of a theocracy.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
@gilman pretty much nailed it. You do need to show significant connection to PR to make this work.

If you move your business there you need an office and employees, not just virtual office.

Basically you get a 90% federal tax credit at corporate level. If you pay yourself via dividends, you pay zero personal tax as long as you live there.

That's pretty great. I wouldn't mind living in the Caribbean anyways. I'd happily make it my primary residence and totally comply with that.

Do either you or @GIlman know of any good resources out there that would enable me to really educate myself on this particular plan? Beyond the obvious of just googling.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
I didn't double-check the numbers (sorry, not the time of year for me to be doing that), but I believe you have the essence correct.

Either way, my recommendation is to use accrual for tax and financial accounting if you are doing any serious retailing or wholesaling.

Is there any way you can explain it a little more? At first you agree with him, but then you recommend using a different method than what he seemed to be making look like the better one. If that makes sense lol

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is there any way you can explain it a little more? At first you agree with him, but then you recommend using a different method than what he seemed to be making look like the better one. If that makes sense lol
It's a timing issue.
If you buy the inventory this year, and sell it next year, you're just manipulating when the cost is recognized ("manipulate" in this sense is not intended to be negative).

This means at some point, you can expect a large reversal. What happens when you get to the end of 2020, need to buy $3 million in inventory to bring your cash-basis income to $0, but you only have $2 million in cash (from any number of reasons - delayed payouts from holiday sales, taking distributions from the company, etc)? Now you've accidentally recognized $1 million in income. Think of the effective tax rate on that.

Assuming I'm US-based, and have to pay taxes at some point, I'd rather pay for several years at lower rates than in one year at a high rate. This is personal preference.

I've been reading up on this a lot lately, and I have not gone back to re-read the thread, but some clarifications: you can only really use cash-basis for taxes as a retailer if your financials are cash-basis. If you are using accrual-basis for financials (i.e. recognizing COGS when item is sold so you can evaluate profitability, and tracking inventory on your balance sheet), then it's difficult to get away with.

I should go back through my responses here to make sure I haven't made any claims otherwise.

Striver

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Mar 23, 2017
USA
It's a timing issue.
If you buy the inventory this year, and sell it next year, you're just manipulating when the cost is recognized ("manipulate" in this sense is not intended to be negative).

Okay, thanks for the explanation. So, if you had the cash, it does seem like the better way to do it. (If it's as simple as the example the guy showed year after year.)

More profit in the end.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
That's pretty great. I wouldn't mind living in the Caribbean anyways. I'd happily make it my primary residence and totally comply with that.

Do either you or @GIlman know of any good resources out there that would enable me to really educate myself on this particular plan? Beyond the obvious of just googling.
Same. I have reached out to several law firms at this point and awaiting responses. Had a few recommendations from friends on this front. Will let you know if I find someone solid to deal with.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Spoke to a guy I was referred to today. Feel free to reach out for his contact info.

Really learned a lot from the conversation and I'm sold on the idea. 4.2% tax rate locked in for 20 years with act 20 plus no capital gains with act 22. How is this for real?

I'll be starting the process in the next 30 days. Pretty incredible that this is even an option and I feel dumb not looking deeper into it after @million$$$smile told me about it last year. No more hesitating and not waiting on the laws to change.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

If you pay yourself via dividends, you pay zero personal tax as long as you live there.
Curious how this would work under Act 20.

I'm incorporating a new service-based business and PR looks like an option, aside from still paying Social Security/Medicare/Whatever at ~33% on my personal salary.

I'd like to see how to get around paying this personal tax.
Seems like there's two possible options but both seem sketchy:

#1: Take Zero Salary & Pay via Dividends/Owner's Draw at 4% Corporate Level
#2: Pay Dividends to a Holding Company @4%, then transfer dividends to personal.

Is it even possible to set up a new corporation like this and still be compliant?

At the very least it seems you can pay yourself what's considered a "reasonable salary" by their standards...Nothing I've found specifies a minimum salary amount.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Curious how this would work under Act 20.

I'm incorporating a new service-based business and PR looks like an option, aside from still paying Social Security/Medicare/Whatever at ~33% on my personal salary.

I'd like to see how to get around paying this personal tax.
Seems like there's two possible options but both seem sketchy:

#1: Take Zero Salary & Pay via Dividends/Owner's Draw at 4% Corporate Level
#2: Pay Dividends to a Holding Company @4%, then transfer dividends to personal.

Is it even possible to set up a new corporation like this and still be compliant?

At the very least it seems you can pay yourself what's considered a "reasonable salary" by their standards...Nothing I've found specifies a minimum salary amount.
All the guys I know doing this just pay themselves a dividend, no salary.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

All the guys I know doing this just pay themselves a dividend, no salary.
Pardon the ignorance ... :)

How does that work? Set up a PR C-Corp, and have accountant pay out dividends to shareholders (me) every quarter?

Seems it'd be problematic if it looks like you're taking dividends instead of salary to deliberately avoid taxes on work you do for the corporation...

Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 9.42.51 AM.png

Curious to learn at what point the IRS says "It's okay for you to take dividends based on XYZ criteria (like limited involvement, etc.)." Maybe the answer is don't take a salary for a few years, retain all the cash within the business, and by the time it runs itself without your involvement you can take dividends without the IRS batting an eye.

This has me in a bind; for this new company I won't be paying myself ANYWAY so we can have more cash on hand to grow, BUT I also don't want it to look like we're taking unfair advantage of Act 20.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
Not sure if its legal to "pay no taxes" but you can certainly offset corporation taxes in places like Cayman Islands.

You still need to declare the income from any offshore entity to your home country.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden

It's the most beautiful idea ever. Really, it's beautiful.

If it was the same today, I wouldn't even think about it. I'd take a flight over to you guys and do anything to become a proud American.

Democracy is a tyranny of the majority.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Not sure if its legal to "pay no taxes" but you can certainly offset corporation taxes in places like Cayman Islands.

You still need to declare the income from any offshore entity to your home country.
Please stop.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Pardon the ignorance ... :)

How does that work? Set up a PR C-Corp, and have accountant pay out dividends to shareholders (me) every quarter?

Seems it'd be problematic if it looks like you're taking dividends instead of salary to deliberately avoid taxes on work you do for the corporation...

View attachment 23711

Curious to learn at what point the IRS says "It's okay for you to take dividends based on XYZ criteria (like limited involvement, etc.)." Maybe the answer is don't take a salary for a few years, retain all the cash within the business, and by the time it runs itself without your involvement you can take dividends without the IRS batting an eye.

This has me in a bind; for this new company I won't be paying myself ANYWAY so we can have more cash on hand to grow, BUT I also don't want it to look like we're taking unfair advantage of Act 20.
Honestly you need to talk to a PR attorney. I am not an expert on act 20.

All I know is that I have several friends and clients who went the PR route and only get personal income through dividends.

I think @Tom.V has an attorney contact.

[/USER]

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Yeah, just on the point of the salary question, to maintain compliance with Act 20 you DO need to take a reasonable salary. That is in its current form. They have changed Act 20 several times since 2012 so that may have been added more recently. Other things that have changed is you only need 1 employee on the island at all times (could be yourself if you're the owner) versus 5 minimum which was a previous requirement.

As for the specifics on HOW MUCH is a reasonable salary, that is going to depend on a lot of different factors from what I have heard. Will report back as I learn more.

Devampre

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 6, 2016
Canada
No taxation without representation! :)

I'd probably seek advice from a tax attorney or some qualified expert that could help you come up with an optimal strategy that's specialized to your location, your customers' locations and the services/products you sell. Like other's have mentioned, there's likely no easy one size fits all solution. I wish I could help you more and I too am highly interested in paying less taxes. But, I think you'd need to share more information with an expert and get a more direct and personable response.

Jake R

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, just on the point of the salary question, to maintain compliance with Act 20 you DO need to take a reasonable salary. That is in its current form. They have changed Act 20 several times since 2012 so that may have been added more recently. Other things that have changed is you only need 1 employee on the island at all times (could be yourself if you're the owner) versus 5 minimum which was a previous requirement.

As for the specifics on HOW MUCH is a reasonable salary, that is going to depend on a lot of different factors from what I have heard. Will report back as I learn more.

Hey Tom, where are you at with this? Are you in PR yet?!
I looked into this last year and couldn't find a way around being on the island for half the year so that's a bit difficult, though not impossible since I'm in FL anyway.
Do you mind shooting me your lawyer's contact info?

Thanks to everyone who tried to keep the thread on track...it was exhausting reading through the heated comments while trying to get other people's experience with cash and accrual based accounting.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.