The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How To ACTUALLY Get Freelance Clients: Free Leads Across The USA From Craigslist

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Thanks for sharing numbers. I guess another way of looking at this:

If you're going to hire, use Upwork. The supply far outweighs the demand, allowing you to get better labor cheaper.
I concur

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Hope you get a chance to update soon! I'm starting right now...

yaponchik

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jan 18, 2018
Hope you get a chance to update soon! I'm starting right now...

Stop replying to people's ads and start writing ads that will get people to reply to you.

I never message people individually because

1. It would take forever.

2. I'd be dealing with people who weren't qualified properly.

3. Shady marketers create ads for list building.

The best way to get leads off Craigslist is to learn copywriting.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Stop replying to people's ads and start writing ads that will get people to reply to you.

I never message people individually because

1. It would take forever.

2. I'd be dealing with people who weren't qualified properly.

3. Shady marketers create ads for list building.

The best way to get leads off Craigslist is to learn copywriting.

Actually, no. Here's why...

1: You can create a template that will save you immense amounts of time.

2: If they're explicitly ASKING for the service you can provide, then they're qualified. It comes down to keywords you look for.

3: ???

If you're suggesting to do the inverse of this method (posting a "services offered" to several cities) it won't work. I've tried. Here's why...

1: Nobody just casually browses the services section. If they're REALLY looking for what you can provide, they'll seek it out by making a CL post OR searching Google.

2: Unless you want to manually keep track of posts on 150+ individual CL sites with corresponding logins, proxies, and phone numbers, as well as replacing your post every 7 days or less since every other bonehead will bury your posts...

...Then do NOT attempt the inverse.

Look, I get that responding to ads 1-by-1 can be time consuming.

But it got me started. This whole thread was about improving your chances of getting those first freelance clients by looking where nobody else will.

yaponchik

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jan 18, 2018
This whole thread was about improving your chances of getting those first freelance clients by looking where nobody else will.

1bpbamo.png

People from all over the country will STILL be emailing this person for the next 2-4 weeks.

You NEED to be one of the FIRST people to respond to these types of posts to have any sort of consistent success.

Not only that, but you also need to address the prospects needs which you can't do because a lot of Craigslist gig posts are extremely vague all they know is that they want a website or logo. It's like playing tag with a blindfold.

Last edited:
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

@bobfour

In my particular niche, the results were opposite.
Very few people responding to their post qualified enough to handle the job.

Bottom line, YMMV.

So far however,
You've contributed NOTHING of an alternative that would work better.

All I see is cherry-picking and excuses. Tall hat, no cattle.

If you're so convinced that this method is bullshit, then post a thread including a different method and the results of your findings. This thread is not theory.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
@UnrealCreative, is there anything you would change about this method for 2018-2019? Do you think it's still just as effective?

I know your post isn't that old but SearchTempest has changed a little and perhaps there are some new tools out there too.

Thanks!

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
Some questions regarding this.
What do you do when the following happens;
1) ads are placed by agencies.
2) they are looking for local people only? How do you get around that?
3. ad says pay commensurate with experience.
4, They are looking for an intern only.

Also, I thought I would go with SEO as that is one of the most in-demand services as shown by a high volume of keyword search. Search Tempest found 3 ads only and they all fit the questions being asked above. Graphics/graphic design is a little better as at least 7 cities had ads, still going through them, but again either they are vague, or fit the above criteria.

What is the appropriate way to approach the situation?

Thank you.

NewManRising

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
Any issues with them wanting to see samples or asking you about your experience? Did they ask if you owned a website? Any tips on negotiations?

harlansjobs

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 31, 2018
Any issues with them wanting to see samples or asking you about your experience? Did they ask if you owned a website? Any tips on negotiations?

@NewManRising :
iS That for my post or the one talking about Elementor? Sorry, but you did not say who you were addressing it to!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

is there anything you would change about this method for 2018-2019? Do you think it's still just as effective?

The main thing I've changed is instead of using searchtempest alone, is to take the RSS feeds generated from Craigslist and plug it into an RSS reader so you have one place all your leads head to. I've meant to write about this since starting the thread but got busy.

I've used the craigslist method to find pretty great deals for housing, but haven't used it for business in a long time. Nowadays I've found it more useful long-term to learn how to drive traffic to your own site from Adwords etc, as opposed to going all outbound. Just preference obviously, but for the right model and person this method can still work. Never wanted to claim it's the magic bullet, only an option in your arsenal for generating leads.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
The main thing I've changed is instead of using searchtempest alone, is to take the RSS feeds generated from Craigslist and plug it into an RSS reader so you have one place all your leads head to. I've meant to write about this since starting the thread but got busy.

I've used the craigslist method to find pretty great deals for housing, but haven't used it for business in a long time. Nowadays I've found it more useful long-term to learn how to drive traffic to your own site from Adwords etc, as opposed to going all outbound. Just preference obviously, but for the right model and person this method can still work. Never wanted to claim it's the magic bullet, only an option in your arsenal for generating leads.
Ok, thanks! And I agree. I like the RSS feed idea though.

Hitch-hiker

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jul 23, 2019
Poland
What would you say in 2022?
And could you guys share any similar website to Craigslist where one could post his services?

Joshdigitals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 22, 2022
Back in January, I started Freelancing to make some additional income while working a job, with the chance of growing the service into an agency. It's been really good practice for building a business, learning about all the processes and systems that make up one and maintaining it well.
A few months later, I'm bringing on my first intern to take off some of the workload.

Granted, it wasn't always like this.
As the title suggests, I metaphorically beat my head against a wall trying to get that "first client" from Upwork (which never came, by the way). On the other hand, I'm slightly reluctant to post this because my margins aren't huge. Certainly not enough to live on, yet.

But, this is written for those who have tried Upwork but aren't getting the results they want.
It's incredibly discouraging to keep going when you've had zero responses...for months...
A change in approach is all it took, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Now, I'm not saying that making a lot of money on Upwork is impossible. BUT...
If you're having a hard time getting responses, then it's probably time to change your approach!
So, this is written for the guys who are just on the edge of making something happen,
but just don't know it yet!

The biggest problem I have with Upwork is that it is a closed feedback loop.
If you don't get a response to your custom-tailored, you-focused application...
...you will have NO idea why it didn't work.
That alone is enough to drive anyone mad.

With that in mind, let's remember the reason why you're doing this in the first place.
If you're trying to freelance, the goal is "to add value." NOT "to be an Upwork rockstar."
Upwork is not a magic bullet. It is simply a source of leads, and other sources exist.

With that being said, there are plenty of lead sources and methods of reaching out.

One of my favorites is reaching out to posts on Craigslist.

Yes, Craigslist.

Now, it does have some flaws.
But I like it for a few reasons.
Take my analogy below.

I've tried reaching out by Cold Contacting Agencies, Responding to Upwork Requests, and Responding to Craigslist Requests.
Imagine in your mind's eye an image of yourself - and in your right hand is a glass of water.
The Glass of Water is the Service you're offering, and your objective is to give this water to someone thirsty.

So, You walk into an agency, and get right in the face of the owner.
You ask, "Do you want some water?" Their reply...
"No, I'm fine for now. But thanks. Come back in 2 months when I might be thirsty."
Well that's a while, so on you go.

You walk into the door of Upwork, right up to the first person that catches your eye.
You ask, "Do you want some water?"
Well, this Upwork dude is drowning in a sea of a million other "Do you want some water"-ers, unable to gasp for a sudden breath of air to give you a reply. Or so it seems. So, to prevent your sudden death of drowning in a sea of forgettable "Do you want some water"-ers, on you go.

But this time it's different, and you'll be surprised by the result.

You walk into Craigslist, right up to the first person that catches your eye.
You ask, "Do you want some wa-"
Before you can even finish your sentence, this Craigslist dude knocks you over and snatches your water because they've been dragging their feet through the hot desert for 29 days (their post expires after 30!) prepared to die and DESPERATE for someone to hand them a glass of water!

All in all, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Here is a comparison for Upwork and Craigslist; Proposals Sent vs. Responses Received

Upwork: (Started January)
38 Proposals / 1 Response = 3% Response Rate (wtf?)

Craigslist: (Started Mid April)
13 Proposals / 9 Responses = 70% Response Rate (!)

I'm telling you, this didn't take long;
If you've been beating your head against a wall, maybe all you need is a change of approach!
You don't have to make this freelancing shit so complicated!
All you need is a small change. Once you find that change, it will make all the difference and grant you the overwhelming confidence to keep going. Because you know "There is a way!"

Anyway, There are some cool things about Craigslist.

So far...

- You have a smaller talent pool to compete with, AND prospects are already actively looking for a solution. You never have to go in cold ever again, and they'll be overwhelmingly grateful for your help.

- You keep your prospects in the loop. They don't just disappear after the job is filled like Upwork

- FEEDBACK! If your prospect doesn't respond, you can ping them and find out why!
This is Impossible on Upwork, and this information will be vital in revising your strategy.

That's all for now. But stick around.
In the next couple of posts I will dissect my entire process here,
and show you some very powerful tools to get the same results.

Stay Tune

Joshdigitals

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 22, 2022
I was not able to register on craigslist lately, please help a bro, what could caused it

namari

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Oct 4, 2022
this is quite informative.
im a freelance illustrator and i havent had a client in months

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 15, 2022
Back in January, I started Freelancing to make some additional income while working a job, with the chance of growing the service into an agency. It's been really good practice for building a business, learning about all the processes and systems that make up one and maintaining it well.
A few months later, I'm bringing on my first intern to take off some of the workload.

Granted, it wasn't always like this.
As the title suggests, I metaphorically beat my head against a wall trying to get that "first client" from Upwork (which never came, by the way). On the other hand, I'm slightly reluctant to post this because my margins aren't huge. Certainly not enough to live on, yet.

But, this is written for those who have tried Upwork but aren't getting the results they want.
It's incredibly discouraging to keep going when you've had zero responses...for months...
A change in approach is all it took, and the response has been overwhelmingly positive.

Now, I'm not saying that making a lot of money on Upwork is impossible. BUT...
If you're having a hard time getting responses, then it's probably time to change your approach!
So, this is written for the guys who are just on the edge of making something happen,
but just don't know it yet!

The biggest problem I have with Upwork is that it is a closed feedback loop.
If you don't get a response to your custom-tailored, you-focused application...
...you will have NO idea why it didn't work.
That alone is enough to drive anyone mad.

With that in mind, let's remember the reason why you're doing this in the first place.
If you're trying to freelance, the goal is "to add value." NOT "to be an Upwork rockstar."
Upwork is not a magic bullet. It is simply a source of leads, and other sources exist.

With that being said, there are plenty of lead sources and methods of reaching out.

One of my favorites is reaching out to posts on Craigslist.

Yes, Craigslist.

Now, it does have some flaws.
But I like it for a few reasons.
Take my analogy below.

I've tried reaching out by Cold Contacting Agencies, Responding to Upwork Requests, and Responding to Craigslist Requests.
Imagine in your mind's eye an image of yourself - and in your right hand is a glass of water.
The Glass of Water is the Service you're offering, and your objective is to give this water to someone thirsty.

So, You walk into an agency, and get right in the face of the owner.
You ask, "Do you want some water?" Their reply...
"No, I'm fine for now. But thanks. Come back in 2 months when I might be thirsty."
Well that's a while, so on you go.

You walk into the door of Upwork, right up to the first person that catches your eye.
You ask, "Do you want some water?"
Well, this Upwork dude is drowning in a sea of a million other "Do you want some water"-ers, unable to gasp for a sudden breath of air to give you a reply. Or so it seems. So, to prevent your sudden death of drowning in a sea of forgettable "Do you want some water"-ers, on you go.

But this time it's different, and you'll be surprised by the result.

You walk into Craigslist, right up to the first person that catches your eye.
You ask, "Do you want some wa-"
Before you can even finish your sentence, this Craigslist dude knocks you over and snatches your water because they've been dragging their feet through the hot desert for 29 days (their post expires after 30!) prepared to die and DESPERATE for someone to hand them a glass of water!

All in all, the response has been overwhelmingly positive.
Here is a comparison for Upwork and Craigslist; Proposals Sent vs. Responses Received

Upwork: (Started January)
38 Proposals / 1 Response = 3% Response Rate (wtf?)

Craigslist: (Started Mid April)
13 Proposals / 9 Responses = 70% Response Rate (!)

I'm telling you, this didn't take long;
If you've been beating your head against a wall, maybe all you need is a change of approach!
You don't have to make this freelancing shit so complicated!
All you need is a small change. Once you find that change, it will make all the difference and grant you the overwhelming confidence to keep going. Because you know "There is a way!"

Anyway, There are some cool things about Craigslist.

So far...

- You have a smaller talent pool to compete with, AND prospects are already actively looking for a solution. You never have to go in cold ever again, and they'll be overwhelmingly grateful for your help.

- You keep your prospects in the loop. They don't just disappear after the job is filled like Upwork

- FEEDBACK! If your prospect doesn't respond, you can ping them and find out why!
This is Impossible on Upwork, and this information will be vital in revising your strategy.

That's all for now. But stick around.
In the next couple of posts I will dissect my entire process here,
and show you some very powerful tools to get the same results.

Stay Tuned!
I tried to use Upwork and not nothing, maybe this will work

cookie_m

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 2, 2023
Good idea, I was posting only in my area, should expand to all region.

Absar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Jan 9, 2023
If you are 18 then probably
You're talking about upwork or craiglist?

Sorry I meant to ask if you've tried craigslist and have been able to get any clients. I checked it out and saw many people wanting a website.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 15, 2022
You're talking about upwork or craiglist?

Sorry I meant to ask if you've tried craigslist and have been able to get any clients. I checked it out and saw many people wanting a website.
I was talking about upwork

Last edited:
G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Facebook groups (especially anything local) killed Craigslist, this was written when there was still some untapped opportunity (it's where nobody wanted to look)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.