The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Sam Ovens, Legit?

Guru

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
There was a great website called bullshitbusinessadvice (since expired) which covered Sam Ovens a lot. I was curious after seeing his ads last year, and that site ripped him apart. The FB page still exists - I'll see if archive.org has it too:

Plenty of bullshit. Dude is a scam.

I'm still of the opinion that the best way to "get rich" is to work your way up. All the "trends" / "hacks" / "tricks" promulgated from time-to-time ("crypto", "SEO", "social", "dropshipping", "shopify", "ecommerce", "copywriting", "digital conqueror", "cloud", "cold showers") are shortcuts people latch on to. Consulting is another.

If you really want to get rich, read up on what's selling (or more particularly, what people are buying). Back pages of newspapers are a good source of "legit" information. Offer your own version by creating a SERVICE to help people with it (online or offline) (monetization can be through affiliate links to begin with) - if it doesn't work, focus on the next best seller etc etc etc. UpWork, Fiverr, Clickbank, Flippa & Amazon (JungleScout) etc are good for this. You'll eventually find your place if you take it seriously.

To "sell" (as mentioned previously in the thread) - focus on the provision of results. Never sell the "product", always focus on what it does, and how effective it is at doing it. The more potent your results, the less hype/bullshit you have to create. This is especially apparent in the software game, where most of the buyers are above average intelligence, many are socially awkward and there is MASSIVE reverence for "strategy" board games (for reasons that still evade me). Most of the best software guys I know would rather play 2 hrs of Dungeons + Dragons than go out with girls. They can smell BS 1000 miles away.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Siloa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 5, 2017
FRANCE
Joined Sam's program 4 days ago to test the method ($2,000). 14 days warranty.
I'll let you know if I ask for refund or not.

What I can say is compared to many trainings, what he provides looks way more professional (high quality video, no spelling mistakes, interesting content, video + mp3 + text, materials). Several pieces of information in what I watched so far are in TMF & Unscripted or DotCom Secrets & Expert secrets, but presented a different way.

I know people that went to Russell Brunson's event ($25,000) twice just to get 1 exact same advice that is written on DotCom Secrets. And yet, they don't regret because until they hear it from Russell's mouth, they could not get it.
Human nature is weird :). After reading TMF , Unscripted , DotCom Secrets, Experts Secrets, I still need to get in those online courses :).
Maybe because, my e-commerce journey does not suit me and maybe because I am still searching for something valuable. What is the niche that requires help and how can I help.
I'll let you know if Sam's program finally answers that question.

To finish, if I have to pay $10,000 on online courses ($1,000 here, $2,000 there, etc.) to finally find my path and make a good business and therefore generate good money, then I won't regret it. I'll regret only if that won't work, but in that case, I would probably be the one to blame.

matt33138

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Apr 25, 2014
Can you share one of those lessons?

The first week of Sam's program covers the process of choosing a specific group of people, figuring out where they need help, and then helping them. One specific lesson from that section is about looking for distortions in the market and then organizing your solution around righting the wrongs you see in the market. Then coming at a strong angle against that received wisdom of the market in your messaging as you offer your solution.

That single idea proved quite useful in coming up with a strong message that has worked extremely well for the market I chose.

To rpeck90 –

Those articles are hilarious. I remember reading those last year sometime...there are big holes in the articles even just in how they're written (he uses Sam's number of desks as something to take issue with despite two of the three desks being the same desk AND the simple explanation that Sam moved from New Zealand to the U.S. and obviously didn't bring his desk with him across the ocean)...anyway, Sam Ovens ISN'T a scam. Actually isn't. I don't expect you to believe me, but it's funny that you'd believe crappy articles like those two out of the available options you have.

I'm going to return to my usual focus on not paying attention to online chatter (hence why I have barely any posts in this forum despite joining 4 years ago)...but I am one person willing to go on the record telling you that actually, not only is Sam Ovens' training not a scam, I personally applied what I learned and have made over $930,000 in sales in the first five months of this year thanks to what I learned from him.

Siloa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 5, 2017
FRANCE
Another interesting thing to say about Sam.
I've read in the first messages someone says that people that can't do, teache.
Sam's program that I bought is part of his consulting evolution. He considers that producing online courses is the top of the consulting evolution, what will make a consulting business reach the 8 figures. He is quite transparent about it.

Last edited:

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Joined Sam's program 4 days ago to test the method ($2,000). 14 days warranty.
I'll let you know if I ask for refund or not.

What I can say is compared to many trainings, what he provides looks way more professional (high quality video, no spelling mistakes, interesting content, video + mp3 + text, materials). Several pieces of information in what I watched so far are in TMF & Unscripted or DotCom Secrets & Expert secrets, but presented a different way.

I know people that went to Russell Brunson's event ($25,000) twice just to get 1 exact same advice that is written on DotCom Secrets. And yet, they don't regret because until they hear it from Russell's mouth, they could not get it.
Human nature is weird :). After reading TMF , Unscripted , DotCom Secrets, Experts Secrets, I still need to get in those online courses :).
Maybe because, my e-commerce journey does not suit me and maybe because I am still searching for something valuable. What is the niche that requires help and how can I help.
I'll let you know if Sam's program finally answers that question.

To finish, if I have to pay $10,000 on online courses ($1,000 here, $2,000 there, etc.) to finally find my path and make a good business and therefore generate good money, then I won't regret it. I'll regret only if that won't work, but in that case, I would probably be the one to blame.

Did you get a refund?

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
Nope, I kept the training. The mindset approach worthes the price itself.
Also the "refer a friend" program quickly makes the course free :)

Did you start your own consulting business? I listened to his webinar today. He seems to know what he's talking about. Not sure about the 2 grand fee though.

Siloa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
Oct 5, 2017
FRANCE
Not now but it has nothing to do with Sam. It's me.
The Facebook Group is really awesome. If you struggle to find a niche, they help a lot.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I dunno... he seems pretty legit. Like I’ve been getting his ads on YouTube

Forbes says he has a net worth of like 65 mil and is on their 30 under 30 list.

I found this thread because i searched “Sam Ovens” to see if there were any threads about him on here

A lot of what he teaches seems like what we talk about here.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgetBrY7lhE

I really don’t know much about him, but i like his advice. His Ads play before my YouTube videos and I rarely hit ‘skip Ad.’ The ads are just him giving business advice.

If whatever he’s selling costs more than 20 bucks, F*ck him... I mean gotta use some common sense. But his ads are informative.

Last edited:

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
253%
Apr 13, 2015
Gurus like Tai and Sam rely heavily on the "Dumbo feather" effect.

The majority of people who's successful "thanks to" a product from a guru they would have gotten there with any other material.

But because they get the results after that they retroactively associate the consequence with the material being the root cause and then create an emotional link with the author.

I think is a similar effect to what @MJ DeMarco calls podium popping.

The truth is that you can get the same information being sold by 997$ or given at 10k seminars in 10$ books or even for free online or going to the library.

And personally I don't use gurus as a rolemodel to learn about branding and stuff like that because I can learn the same things from legit businesses selling legit products and without the unethical use of certain psychological triggers.

Successful people read books they don't buy online courses, have you noticed that?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Successful people read books they don't buy online courses, have you noticed that?
Not 100% true.. I buy a lot of stuff off Udemy, Edx, coursera etc. I think it depends on the quality of the online class. Those spammy overpriced Informercial type classes? They’re a joke. But a class from a credible author or professor or whatever I’m w/ it

But I get what you’re saying. Yo mean those BS courses for 697 complete with landing page and everything.

Dunkafelics

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Jun 12, 2015
Vancouver, Canada

@masterneme

Love your posts for the most part and I do understand where you are coming from on this one... but I have to respectfully disagree.

Books are an excellent place to gain knowledge and get insight into the mind of an author who is potentially playing the game of life at a higher level.

However, it is just one method of learning. For some, it might not even be the best.

When it comes to online courses, training programs, etc., you have to do your due diligence and vet them, but man I've come across some excellent audio and visual programs over the last few years that have changed the whole game for me.

Right now, I am doing an online program that I paid $100 bucks for. That program is WELL WORTH the $100 dollars and much, much more.

In my opinion, there is no way I could of been challenged to learn and take action at the level this course has required in comparison to a book.

We all have our own paths. Who knows? Maybe that path will lead to Sam Ovens... maybe not?

Regardless...

Keep rocking!

Last edited:

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I'm in the Sam Ovens hater club. I've been spammed to death by his retargeting; and don't believe for a second he is anything more than a guru.

Does anyone know how he got on Forbes list? Is that list just bullshit or something?

Bambooing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Oct 3, 2014
No he built snapinspect and ran out of money to develop the idea he found so he started consulting to help fund it.

haha yeah
This is my understanding too. Been consuming a lot of his stuff of late. Not a student, but in his trial.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Bambooing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Oct 3, 2014
Can Sam Ovens explain why after making $20,000,000 consulting business:

1 - He's using a fake backdrop?
2 - He's wearing the same blue jacket on every ad?

Here's the proof: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I'm genuinely interested.
He did say in a video of his ie Customer Interview. I believe with a student of his in the accpunting niche that he does not own any real estate but rents, therefore he outwardly states that the NY apartment is rented. I has since moved out and in LA?? Renting no doubt.

2. His same clothes is based on his concept of mental decision making quote for the day (or something to that affect); whereby he believes everyone has only x amount of decision making brain power energy for the day. So why waste it on decisions on less important stuff ie what do I wear today? Same clothes. He uses his energy on the things that matter

Bambooing

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Oct 3, 2014
Probably works...

My question is always "if you are killing it, why are you making a course instead of killing it some more?"

Eliminates 99% of "gurus" and "coaches" who are making a living teaching people something that they are not doing nor did.
That is 'how' he is killing it, easy to scale.

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
He's running ads in the millions and making millions of revenue

Anybody who doubts this has no idea about digital marketing.

The fact that so many people of us have seen his ads verifies his ad budget.

He's giving away >90% of his teaching for free on Youtube. I even like his content. Learnt some valuable stuff from him even after being in this game already pretty long.

Many big dogs who are already running seven and eight figure digital businesses are paying big dollars to be in his paid mastermind and mentoring program.

I would summarize his message as:
Focus.
Declutter.
Dedication.
Solve Problems.
Employees first.
Basics instead of tactics/strategies.
Stay away from trends and quick fixes.
Product over service for scale and sanity.
F*ck social media and personal branding.
One problem, one product, one funnel....then scale.

Last edited:

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Sam covers multiple topics that are taught here (action faking, focus, sticking to one business)

Mostly he talks about things like customer satisfaction and solving problems for customers and overall adding value to the world. Literally what MJ's books talk about.

You dont have to like everything about him, but calling him a scammer or saying he doesnt know what hes talking about is ridiculous, because he teaches VERY similar concepts to MJ.

I dont know why people have to try and be so high and mighty all the time when it comes to "guru" stuff or online education. Probably makes them feel better about them selves.

I think you can learn something from everyone weather it's what to do, or what not to do.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
If I'm not mistaken,

Sam Ovens is one of Tai Lopez' successful students. Tai put him under the spotlight but putting him in his snaps, instagram stories and Facebook Ads. He purchased a rare domain name and made a cute website with tons of testimonials and boom. Let the sales flow.

I doubt you ever talk to Sam, but moreso to his team (which could be the Knowledge Society, owned by Tai).

WinYourself

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
304%
Aug 11, 2013
If I'm not mistaken,

Sam Ovens is one of Tai Lopez' successful students. Tai put him under the spotlight but putting him in his snaps, instagram stories and Facebook Ads. He purchased a rare domain name and made a cute website with tons of testimonials and boom. Let the sales flow.

I doubt you ever talk to Sam, but moreso to his team (which could be the Knowledge Society, owned by Tai).
Think heard Sam saying that he was doing around 2 mio. before the colab with Thai. Getting put in front of Thai's audience did a 10x for him. Big lesson in there.

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
Sam covers multiple topics that are taught here (action faking, focus, sticking to one business)

Mostly he talks about things like customer satisfaction and solving problems for customers and overall adding value to the world. Literally what MJ's books talk about.

You dont have to like everything about him, but calling him a scammer or saying he doesnt know what hes talking about is ridiculous, because he teaches VERY similar concepts to MJ.

I dont know why people have to try and be so high and mighty all the time when it comes to "guru" stuff or online education. Probably makes them feel better about them selves.

I think you can learn something from everyone weather it's what to do, or what not to do.

I was about to post exactly the same! I've seen Sam videos for a long time, I haven't bought his curse, but I like his weekly videos because most things he says are very similar to some concepts that we discuss here or MJ wrote about.

He addresses a lot of interesting things and meditates about them, I like most of his points of view and I find his videos very educational for entrepreneurs.

At least, I would recommend you all to see some videos from his weekly ones where he talks about things like productivity, focus, how to learn, and a lot of different topics.

You can always learn something.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
I was about to post exactly the same! I've seen Sam videos for a long time, I haven't bought his curse, but I like his weekly videos because most things he says are very similar to some concepts that we discuss here or MJ wrote about.

He addresses a lot of interesting things and meditates about them, I like most of his points of view and I find his videos very educational for entrepreneurs.

At least, I would recommend you all to see some videos from his weekly ones where he talks about things like productivity, focus, how to learn, and a lot of different topics.

You can always learn something.

Likewise... I've never bought a thing from the guy, but find his free content educational, entertaining, and valuable.

I can see why the constant facebook ads & flashy facade might attract haters, but I am willing to learn from anyone if they have something to teach me.

Amazing this thread has been going for years now, lol. To each his own.

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I've been checking Sam Ovens' free content (youtube videos) for the last 2 weeks and damn guys, how the hell can you say he's a fake guru?

One thing he has done wrong, is using bro-marketing techniques to sell his products.

Actually, it's not wrong. It's just that people in this forum are now desensitized to these techniques and we associate them with "scam", even if the content might be 100% legit and useful.

But if you look at his content objectively, the value is there.

I'm quite sure 99% of the people who are criticizing him haven't even seen his free videos, cause if they did, they would realize he's a genuine guy. And once again, I haven't bought his course, simply watched his free content.

It takes very little body language recognition to notice that he's actually NOT a fake guru. Even in the video with Tai Lopez linked here in this thread, you can see how Tai Lopez is making him uncomfortable with all the "guruish" attitude.

I found this one very helpful, for example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BuaERARhaw

Santi M

See you on the fastlane
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 22, 2018
Fastlane
I've been checking Sam Ovens' free content (youtube videos) for the last 2 weeks and damn guys, how the hell can you say he's a fake guru?

One thing he has done wrong, is using bro-marketing techniques to sell his products.

Actually, it's not wrong. It's just that people in this forum are now desensitized to these techniques and we associate them with "scam", even if the content might be 100% legit and useful.

But if you look at his content objectively, the value is there.

I'm quite sure 99% of the people who are criticizing him haven't even seen his free videos, cause if they did, they would realize he's a genuine guy. And once again, I haven't bought his course, simply watched his free content.

It takes very little body language recognition to notice that he's actually NOT a fake guru. Even in the video with Tai Lopez linked here in this thread, you can see how Tai Lopez is making him uncomfortable with all the "guruish" attitude.

I found this one very helpful, for example:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BuaERARhaw

Agree. So much knowledge provided in his videos, I also believe he is legit.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Unfortunately now the internet is rife with 20-something gurus who took a course from another 20-something guru on how to be a 20-something guru.
Lol. Four years on and do you think this still holds true @MJ DeMarco?

Carnegie

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jun 13, 2011
UK
I just saw this and thought I'd chime in. I was in Sam's first course and was personally in contact with him way back when.

I was working in the space at the time and although he had good info, he was clearly full of shit and definitely didn't know as much as he'd make out and less than some of us on his course.

He was running an App at the time called Snap Inspect which he was adamant was going to make him rich and the course we were on was merely cash for that. I liked him, but he was (back then) flakey as hell and under delivered.

I remember thinking at the time that he is a great example of fake it until you make it. A load of those on the course went to Vegas in a penthouse at the MGM and stayed with him (everyone chipped in and he booked it - I decided against it). There was a lot of hot air and he definitely struggled to come across like he actually practiced what he preached.

I admire where he is now and what he's done, so hate slinging crap, but it didn't come from his knowledge of consulting, far from it. We used to badger him for proof and he only ever stumped up 2 shit sites. A fencing company and a small software company (might see if I can find his stuff in my backups). christ, a couple of the people on his course gave him info he then tried to resell back to us as an additional monthly fee, which he again failed to deliver on! He eventually shut everything down.

Edit: there was value there, I just think it always annoyed me that he clearly didn't do what he said. I suppose part of me was gutted that I'd paid that and had lost trust that following through would actually work (especially with the high rate of failure in the forum and him just telling people to keep going with little contructive input).

Last edited:

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
I think Sam Ovens is worth another look. Like someone said early on, watch what he does, not what he says. That said, he seems pretty no bs in what he says now too. Maybe because he has sold thousands of courses for 2500+. The dude made a ton of money and has maybe 100's of interview testimonials at this point. You can watch them on YouTube.

He's also released a lot of his old course material for free on YouTube. It's some of the best mindset stuff I've ever come across. He's done a great job at synthesizing material and speaking it in a easy to understand way.

I'm very thankful to have come across Sam early this year. I learned a lot of valuable stuff for free and would totally buy the course if I was wanted to learn how to be a consultant.

I can't really speak to his stuff in 2016 when this thread was started. I imagine it was pretty bad haha.

This seems like a classic example of "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I think Sam Ovens is worth another look. Like someone said early on, watch what he does, not what he says. That said, he seems pretty no bs in what he says now too. Maybe because he has sold thousands of courses for 2500+. The dude made a ton of money and has maybe 100's of interview testimonials at this point. You can watch them on YouTube.

He's also released a lot of his old course material for free on YouTube. It's some of the best mindset stuff I've ever come across. He's done a great job at synthesizing material and speaking it in a easy to understand way.

I'm very thankful to have come across Sam early this year. I learned a lot of valuable stuff for free and would totally buy the course if I was wanted to learn how to be a consultant.

I can't really speak to his stuff in 2016 when this thread was started. I imagine it was pretty bad haha.

This seems like a classic example of "Don't hate the player, hate the game."
I feel his ads actually harmed his reputation. As I previously said, many people now associate bro-marketing techniques with fake gurus, even if the content offered is actually legit.

I watched almost every Sam's video and I swear I haven't found shit like this in years. Not even in books. Apparently, he started providing actual value from 2018. Before that, he was what we call a fake guru.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.