The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What does MJ mean when he says "except in the reverse" (regarding paying off debts)?

For any book discussion

yogiahimsa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Feb 13, 2019
Hello,
I am curious about the exact meaning of the passage on P.316 of the Millionaire Fastlane :
"Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse."

The context: "Or perhaps you live in a house that’s just too expensive and you have paid for everyday staples like groceries using your credit card. Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse. Repent from the Sidewalk and make new choices that are designed to keep your debt from growing, or better, to get it declining."

I am leading students (non-native speaker of English) to read the book for a school bookclub, so I need to understand the content as best as I can, so I really need help with this "except in the reverse." Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Hello,
I am curious about the exact meaning of the passage on P.316 of the Millionaire Fastlane :
"Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse."

The context: "Or perhaps you live in a house that’s just too expensive and you have paid for everyday staples like groceries using your credit card. Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse. Repent from the Sidewalk and make new choices that are designed to keep your debt from growing, or better, to get it declining."

I am leading students (non-native speaker of English) to read the book for a school bookclub, so I need to understand the content as best as I can, so I really need help with this "except in the reverse." Thank you.

I believe he means.
The fastlane is the process to achieve financial freedom -> more money
escaping credit card debt is the process of eliminating your dept -> less debt
less is reverse of more

yogiahimsa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Feb 13, 2019
I believe he means.
less is reverse of more

Many thanks, luniac:) Your interpretation makes perfect sense! Thanks for the help!

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I believe he means.
less is reverse of more

Hmm, I don't read it that way. But I don't know what to think of it.

Tagging @MJ DeMarco so we can hear from the source.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
It means it was a PROCESS to get in debt... buying stuff here, buying stuff there...

It means you need to reverse THE PROCESS to get OUT of debt... not buying stuff here and there, and instead paying the debt off, here and there.

Process got you in debt. (Buying too much)
Process will get you out of debt. (Buying too little)

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I believe he means.
escaping credit card debt is the process of eliminating your debt -> less debt
less is reverse of more

Not really how I meant it, but I appreciate the interpretation!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Not really how I meant it, but I appreciate the interpretation!

lol but isn't what i said pretty much what you said!?
a reversed process is what i meant lol
i guess i was little off.

advantagecp

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Feb 7, 2015
Hello,

My problem with "Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse" is that on the face of it it seems to be calling for a commitment to event over process...which we know he doesn't mean.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. (There's a nice idiomatic term for your non-native speakers). I didn't understand it either, and I have a passion for the language.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
My problem with "Escaping credit card debt requires a commitment to process over event, except in the reverse" is that on the face of it it seems to be calling for a commitment to event over process...which we know he doesn't mean.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. (There's a nice idiomatic term for your non-native speakers). I didn't understand it either, and I have a passion for the language.

That's actually how I read it also. That the event was to decide to escape credit card debt and the process was doing it. So the event came first then the process. But I knew that's not what he meant either.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Clearly I need to rewrite that blurb as it is not being interpreted as I meant. Author's fault, not reader.

yogiahimsa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Feb 13, 2019
It means it was a PROCESS to get in debt... buying stuff here, buying stuff there...

It means you need to reverse THE PROCESS to get OUT of debt... not buying stuff here and there, and instead paying the debt off, here and there.

Process got you in debt. (Buying too much)
Process will get you out of debt. (Buying too little)
Thank you, MJ! Not just for this helpful note, but for the invaluable advice in your book!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.