The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I know I am not a lottery winner because a team of us have been working on a project with no pay for nearly 2 years in order to get the win.

Big goals, big plans, big action. I'm not sure the lottery has any of those three things.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
Tell me Brad, what makes you an authority on this topic? Just curious.
I'm definitely no authority on anything.

I'm making some much needed counter arguments that dont get addressed in this forum.

I don't assert any of it is accurate.

My own experiences, some things I've seen and read have me suspecting:

I've been wrong about many things and so has most everybody else.

As in I dont know shit and neither do most people.

Especially those who THINK they know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I've been wrong about many things and so has most everybody else.

As in I dont know sh*t and neither do most people.

Funny you say that because I would consider this a milestone. Once you realize you can’t be a master of everything, and that the best you’ll ever be at all the intricacies of a truly successful business barely scratches the surface, you finally understand the need for leadership.

Leadership. The greatest power you can yield in business.

I know you meant this in more of a defeatist drivel kind of way because things haven’t worked out how you hoped. They rarely do. Get used to it.

It is up to you; you can adapt and move forward, or you can bitch about how the world isn’t exactly how your imprudent interpretation of a mindset thread made it seem.

Last edited:

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
Funny you say that because I would consider this a milestone. Once you realize you can’t be a master of everything, and that the best you’ll ever be at all the intricacies of a truly successful business barely scratches the surface, you finally understand the need for leadership.

Leadership. The greatest power you can yield in business.

I know you meant this in more of a defeatist drivel kind of way because things haven’t worked out how you hoped. They rarely do. Get used to it.

It is up to you; you can adapt and move forward, or you can bitch about how the world isn’t exactly how your imprudent interpretation of a mindset thread made it seem.
You're a good salesman Kyle.

You take what I said and use it as a segue to your much loved leadership in business principle.

No sarcasm intended since we cant read tone.

Letting go or giving up is not the same as defeat or being defeatist.

Who says I haven't gotten the best outcome I could ever hope for?

You know what's better than achieving goals?

Not giving a shit about goals at all.

That's freedom.

People come to this forum because they think they want to be rich.

What they want to be is free.

These are not the same things.

I don't care to convince anyone of anything.

People can come across these words and come to their own conclusions.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Expected Value (EV) cough cough...

Think big is a bad motivational cliche at this point.

It's a tell 99% of the time for a conman.

Think big, think small it doesn't matter.

You could argue either side as you and the person you quoted just did.

Both would sound equally true, why one is better than the other.

You know what small plans and big plans have in common?

They both have minuscule chances of success.

The scenario as you just described it is about as likely to play out like that (pre planned no less) as wining the lottery.

Since we can't predict the future or control most factors...

Like the old saying goes :

When you make a plan God laughs.

You will need massive serendipity for your plan to succeed.

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
If anyone appreciates a good counter arguement it is people on this forum, but the thing is, your counter arguements are not well thought out or valid. You are simply arguing to argue.

Leadership has been the entire premise of this thread. @Kak is not changing the subject.

You are telling everyone to "let go" and "be free", "forget about goals", but we can do a side-by-side comparison and I'm pretty sure I know who would win.

You are accusing @Kak of telling people what they want and in the same sentence you do the same thing! :clap::

You're a good salesman Kyle.

You take what I said and use it as a segue to your much loved leadership in business principle.

No sarcasm intended since we cant read tone.

Letting go or giving up is not the same as defeat or being defeatist.

Who says I haven't gotten the best outcome I could ever hope for?

You know what's better than achieving goals?

Not giving a sh*t about goals at all.

That's freedom.

People come to this forum because they think they want to be rich.

What they want to be is free.

These are not the same things.

I don't care to convince anyone of anything.

People can come across these words and come to their own conclusions.

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
Expected Value (EV) cough cough...
Life isnt poker.

You cant know probabilities in life.

Too many variables that you dont know what you dont know.

I thought of the odds of winning this poker hand...good EV so I bet...

What I didn't figure was someone shooting me at the table as a way to lose...oops

That's the difference between life and a game with known variables.

EV formulas for life are fantasy.

Ironically the BIGGER you think the LESS the odds you pull it off.

I know, I know but if you do over come
the long odds that you can't possibly even know how long....you're a trillionaire.

I get it.

Attempts aren't free though.

They cost time, money, energy and opportunities to do other things that might have actually produce SOME results.

Just to be clear..

I'm not giving advice, making suggestions or cheerleading a point of view.

Just offering some counter balance to the heavy biases of some on this forum.

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
If anyone appreciates a good counter arguement it is people on this forum, but the thing is, your counter arguements are not well thought out or valid. You are simply arguing to argue.

Leadership has been the entire premise of this thread. @Kak is not changing the subject.

You are telling everyone to "let go" and "be free", "forget about goals", but we can do a side-by-side comparison and I'm pretty sure I know who would win.

You are accusing @Kak of telling people what they want and in the same sentence you do the same thing! :clap::

Yeah it's a bad habit me posting my thoughts in print on here because it really is a waste of time for me and the majority of people who read it.

Most of the time I resist the urge.

I dont know or care what people want on this forum..

Just making generalizations about human nature.

And I'm not telling anyone anything.

I'm turning some of my thoughts to print.

I certainly dont care to argue.

I have no skin in the game.

Who cares what I say anyway?

I could be a total idiot.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

"Counterbalance" and successful debate require some form of actual evidence. You have provided nothing, but sour opinion and conjecture.

We understand that some people, despite a valiant life long effort, might still be left with nothing. It is possible, sure, but FAR from probable.

First of all... The people of this forum are more optimistic than that, and they have every right to be... Why? Because the odds are still with them. Plenty of people have set themselves free from a tyrannical life ruled by a collection of others. Plenty have become independently wealthy. Plenty COULD do it all again if they went broke today. Why? Because they don't give up.

Second of all... Who lives a happier and more fulfilling life?

The guy that never gives up on his dreams, strives and stays with it. Energized by progress and adaptation he continues on and dies suddenly without ever seeing them through...

Or...

The miserable, self loathing guy that not only gives up even trying, but spends the rest of his life attempting to destroy the morale of others that do want to try...​

In the worst case scenarios above, both end up dead my friend. Who had the better life? Who left the better example to his children? Who would you rather be?

I know I would rather leave my mark or die trying. It is part of a fulfilling time on this earth.

I will defend my position on this to no end because I believe it is of the greatest IMPORTANCE. I will not let you piss in everyone's cheerios from a soapbox you are attempting to build on a foundation of quicksand. I will not let you pontificate against the positive enthusiasm in this thread. These folks want to be the very best that they can be and your little existential crisis shouldn't have to be a consideration to them.

I dont know or care what people want on this forum..

Then why are you trying to tell them what to do?

Tell me again... Who is "biased?"

Brad S

Bronze Contributor
Jan 23, 2014
New Jersey
"Counterbalance" and successful debate require some form of actual evidence. You have provided nothing, but sour opinion and conjecture.

We understand that some people, despite a valiant life long effort, might still be left with nothing. It is possible, sure, but FAR from probable.

First of all... The people of this forum are more optimistic than that, and they have every right to be... Why? Because the odds are still with them. Plenty of people have set themselves free from a tyrannical life ruled by a collection of others. Plenty have become independently wealthy. Plenty COULD do it all again if they went broke today. Why? Because they don't give up.

Second of all... Who lives a happier and more fulfilling life?

The guy that never gives up on his dreams, strives and stays with it. Energized by progress and adaptation he continues on and dies suddenly without ever seeing them through...

Or...

The miserable, self loathing guy that not only gives up even trying, but spends the rest of his life attempting to destroy the morale of others that do want to try...​

In the worst case scenarios above, both end up dead my friend. Who had the better life? Who left the better example to his children? Who would you rather be?

I know I would rather leave my mark or die trying. It is part of a fulfilling time on this earth.

I will defend my position on this to no end because I believe it is of the greatest IMPORTANCE. I will not let you piss in everyone's cheerios from a soapbox you are attempting to build on a foundation of quicksand. I will not let you pontificate against the positive enthusiasm in this thread. These folks want to be the very best that they can be and your little existential crisis shouldn't have to be a consideration to them.

Then why are you trying to tell them what to do?

Tell me again... Who is "biased?"

I get what you're saying.

I dont disagree with you.

The past me would have completely agreed with you because that is what I WANTED or NEEDED to believe.

Why?

To have hope.

Sometimes "giving up" hope is the most hopeful thing you can do.

I don't care about the existential reality of life either.

That's obvious and nothing new.

What I have said is neither pessimistic nor optimistic, it just IS.

You have assigned a meaning to it.

Maybe I haven't articulated my thoughts well.

Or maybe my words are taken as a challange to some peoples world and self view that they NEED to keep intact because even a false certainty is better than uncertainty and doubt.

Or maybe we just have different experiences.

But regardless I respect your opinion and don't care to beat this thing anymore.

It's your thread and really your forum.

You've positioned yourself well on here.

Believe me when I say I dont care to hijack it.

Nor kill anyone's hope.

No one can ever learn anything except by their own experiences anyway.

If thinking big works for you or anyone else than of course they should keep doing it.

theforamyst

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Oct 22, 2018
Europe
I read your introduction post on this forum, so maybe it's better to give an example off of that:

You have multiple options.

Thinking small:
  • Open a pizzeria. Operate it. Hope people walk in and that you can get online orders.
Thinking big:
  • Buy a commercial kitchen. Master online food order marketing in your local market. "Open 100 pizzerias" online that target different niches yet are all made in the same kitchen and use the same ingredients. Grow into other markets.
  • Invest in an automatic pizza making robot and install it in a self driving car. Perfect the technology. Wait for self-driving legalization. Raise funding. Franchise the model to everyone that wants to get in.
  • Open a pizzeria where the demand is highest, you can charge the largest premium, and you can grow the fastest. For example: a Chicago-style deep dish chain in Asia.
There's a lot of examples. Just have to think bigger. Adjust your mindset. Go for the higher payout.
Thanks, great reply. Rep transferred.

Would the producing of chocolate products and selling them online too, also fit in what you mention under 'Grow into other markets'? Or would that be too much?
And waffles and hamburgers are other things that are also on my mind. I guess they wouldn't be too much bc it's Think bigger, right? :)

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
Why is that? Can you give some examples? I'm struggling to get this. What chapters or concepts from TMF are most relevant here?

Real world example-- The guy behind The Honest Company, Shoedazzle, and Legal Zoom, Brian Lee, shared that he had tried to open a yogurt store while running one of those companies because he wanted something convenient nearby.

It failed.

In a small operation, you're dealing with petty day to day issues with minimum wage staff. The return on your investment of time to solve those problems is miniscule.

Consider the scenario-- your net worth is $10,000.
Option A, take a risk of losing $50,000 with potential gain of 50,000 or Option B, risk losing $500,000 with a potential gain of over a million?

Option B is a no brainer-- your risk is essentially the same, either way, you're bankrupt if things go south, but with a higher potential return, you can afford to attract better people, investors, etc.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Would the producing of chocolate products and selling them online too, also fit in what you mention under 'Grow into other markets'? Or would that be too much?

By markets I meant geographically.

Chocolates are not complimentary to what you're doing at all. Completely different ingredients, machines, and marketing.

Burgers and waffles also aren't necessarily in the same space. You're at a minimum running different marketing campaigns. However, if the supply chain (ingredients) are the same, then you can expand into that.

Thinking "big" doesn't mean creating a thousand shitty little businesses. It means creating one business that disrupts the space by having something of extreme value - whether that be the end value or price competitiveness.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
May 27, 2013
United States
But now I've won another 10 businesses. I can afford another staff to complete the returns, and I can hire a sales person, so I don't even have to keep creating proposals.

@CareCPA is going to be a financial services mogul

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
So, what's the alternative? Throwing up your hands & hoping things work out?

There are a few points made in this thread:
It takes similar effort, whether you pursue a small thing or a big thing.
The likelihood of success between small vs. big things is can be similar; often, big things have a higher probability of success.
Because of #1 & #2, it's logical to pursue bigger opportunities.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Let's talk about this... https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/...estaurant-lands-at-top-of-Yelp-s-10862039.php

The restaurant in question is called Tony's. It was recently ranked number 1 in the entire country for places to eat by yelp. Let me tell you... They deserve it.

As someone that has been there several times I can say it is absolutely incredible how good the sandwiches are. Yelp is absolutely correct... Everything I have ever had there is literally the best I have ever had. I am convinced there is no way to make a better tasting sandwich. The people who work there are beyond pleasant.

Wow! High honor! With that high of praise from Yelp... It is safe to say their restaurant is the best. Certainly in the area, for sandwiches. It is basically proven fact that it is phenomenal food and value.

Unfortunately, Tony's is crammed in a class C real estate building between a discount dry cleaner and a pawn shop. I kid you not. This is their only location.

So why aren’t there 6 Tony's Italian Deli in the city? Why not 6 more in Dallas? Chicago? Miami? LA? Why aren't there at least 20 of them?

Why for every 1 Tony's Italian Deli is there...
40,000 Subways
2,800 Jimmy Johns
1,550 Firehouse Subs
800 Quiznos
413 Potbellys
350 Schlotzsky's
260 Jason's Deli
124 Jersey Mikes
When they made it work with a lesser product and service?

The answer is leadership. The owners work there. They work their asses off. They trapped themselves. They can't afford to quit and they cant afford to grow. This amazing sandwich joint will probably die when they retire. Sucks for you guys!

We avoid this by thinking bigger from the very beginning. Not getting caught up in the micro of one location, but the macro of the entire enterprise. The right leader could leverage this yelp ranking into a restaurant chain making millions and the owners would be doing less work, if any.

Moral of the story... Your product does NOT speak for itself, you speak for it, and your business needs leadership.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
So why aren’t there 6 Tony's Italian Deli in the city? Why not 6 more in Dallas? Chicago? Miami? LA? Why aren't there at least 20 of them?

Perhaps they just don't want to grow bigger and are content being the best, not the biggest. Not everyone is interested in building a huge business. They wouldn't be ranked number 1 in the entire country if they were like your typical Subway.

This amazing sandwich joint will probably die when they retire. Sucks for you guys!

Or it won't. One of the oldest companies in the world is Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan, a hot spring hotel in Japan. It was founded in 705 AD and has been operated by 52 generations of the same family for over 1,300 years.

Pretty sure they'll still be around in a 1000 years.

Perhaps the reason why they're still around is because they didn't obsess about building a big business. Instead, they focused on building a great business, even if its scale is limited to just one location.

The owners of Tony's Italian Deli are probably much happier running their little restaurant and personally greeting their regulars by name than running a huge, soulless corporation.

I like the concept of thinking bigger, but there are other ways to grow than just growing bigger. Not every entrepreneur wants to build a huge business and become a billionaire. A lot just want to have a great business that fits their lifestyle, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Perhaps they just don't want to grow bigger and are content being the best, not the biggest. Not everyone is interested in building a huge business. They wouldn't be ranked number 1 in the entire country if they were like your typical Subway.

Or it won't. One of the oldest companies in the world is Nishiyama Onsen Keiunkan, a hot spring hotel in Japan. It was founded in 705 AD and has been operated by 52 generations of the same family for over 1,300 years.

Pretty sure they'll still be around in a 1000 years.

Perhaps the reason why they're still around is because they didn't obsess about building a big business. Instead, they focused on building a great business, even if its scale is limited to just one location.

The owners of Tony's Italian Deli are probably much happier running their little restaurant and personally greeting their regulars by name than running a huge, soulless corporation.

I like the concept of thinking bigger, but there are other ways to grow than just growing bigger. Not every entrepreneur wants to build a huge business and become a billionaire. A lot just want to have a great business that fits their lifestyle, and there's nothing wrong with that.

What exactly is your point? That I made an assumption that they want more money and they might not? How presumptive of me!

You are making your own assumption that they want to fart around with a 100k operation into their 70s.

Add either one of our assumptions and my point, that leadership is required beyond just a good product and service if you want to grow, still stands.

I PERSONALLY believe the whole "we don't want to grow" notion is rooted in pisspoor leadership, self doubt and a misunderstanding of the ability to leverage time. I can't however prove that.

I am not suggesting they become soulless. I am not suggesting that they try to "run" a multinational corporation. I asked why don't they even have 20 locations. Because they absolutely could.

Last edited:

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I am not suggesting they become soulless. I am not suggesting that they try to "run" a multinational corporation. I asked why don't they even have 20 locations. Because they absolutely could.
Speaking of soulless...

I understand that there's still a lot of hate on corporations. But I'm sure they have to be there for a reason.

With a few hundred thousand customers and gazillions of complaint/feedback/sales channels, how might you work on staying true to your customers, even when things have gotten big? I know it might need a different approach than the time the business was once small.

This might be a crucial component to help the Tony's restaurant to hypothetically spread out.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aqxlWeoa53s

One of my awesome incubator folks sent me this video. It is EXCELLENT. I highly recommend it. It fully embodies Think Bigger and it also is opposite of what I would ever call soulless.

Very inventive, but still a lot of amazing entrepreneurial lessons within.

Last edited:

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona

One of my awesome incubator folks sent me this video. It is EXCELLENT. I highly recommend it. It fully embodies Think Bigger and it also is opposite of what I would ever call soulless.

First video link on the forum I’ve actually clicked on.

Loved the first 10 minutes and will go finish it now. Thanks for the share and please transfer these rep points to the appropriate person (assuming they’re a forum member)

Atu

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 23, 2019
I PERSONALLY believe the whole "we don't want to grow" notion is rooted in pisspoor leadership, self doubt and a misunderstanding of the ability to leverage time. I can't however prove that.

Dear Sir, there is a proof for that: McDonald's: Behind The Arches by John F. Love
And here: The Founder (2016) - IMDb

To those who have no time to read the excellent book: Mc Donald Brothers tried the franchise path, but failed. They were explicitly saying: "We don't want to grow". Mister Ray Kroc stepped in and by using his leadership powers built the multi-million company, that in fact changed the world.

My own conclusion is: If you have something valuable, you better use it for something good. If you try to limit your good, life will punish you.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Dear Sir, there is a proof for that: McDonald's: Behind The Arches by John F. Love
And here: The Founder (2016) - IMDb

To those who have no time to read the excellent book: Mc Donald Brothers tried the franchise path, but failed. They were explicitly saying: "We don't want to grow". Mister Ray Kroc stepped in and by using his leadership powers built the multi-million company, that in fact changed the world.

My own conclusion is: If you have something valuable, you better use it for something good. If you try to limit your good, life will punish you.

While I find Ray Croc’s treatment of the original proprietors ethically questionable and could have been done much better... His vision and leadership was unquestionably more sophisticated than them. He outclassed them in every way and this is a perfect example.

I am convinced though that people that say they don’t want to grow out loud literally don’t have any understanding of time leverage.

Who do you think works worse hours? The owner operator sandwich shop where the owner literally has one day off a week and never gets vacation.... OR.... The businessman that owns 8 restaurants and is looking at his 9th and 10th. I know who.

Last edited:

Consolation

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Sep 6, 2017
Malaysia
I don't know about GOLD, but I do think it should be an ongoing thread, a reminder at all times to think bigger.
It's been approx. a year. Can't believe I'm still rereading this thread. As you said it is:

An ongoing thread, a reminder at all times to think bigger.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It's been approx. a year. Can't believe I'm still rereading this thread. As you said it is:

An ongoing thread, a reminder at all times to think bigger.

Wow! It feels like yesterday I was fascinated by the high speed rail project. It is such a cool deal. The support is strong around the state.

Bottom line. They became the experts, took it one day at a time, and built something that is already amazing. They built a team that will complete one of, if not the, first truly high speed railways in the United States.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I love how he sees everything so simply.

Paraphrasing:

The more you have, the greater your responsibility to give back.

Don’t treat the illness. Treat the wellness.

Find The ONE Thing that impacts hundreds of other things.

If it’s not a slam-dunk, then why are you doing it?

Is it useful? Is it entertaining? If it’s neither then it’s useless.

Our job is to simplify the complicated. Consultants complicate the simple.

Experts know how things used to be done, not necessarily how things should be done going forward.

The biggest inventions come from two guys in a garage, not 500 PhDs.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
May 1, 2011
Bottom line. They became the experts, took it one day at a time and built something that is already amazing. A team that will complete one of if not the first truly high speed railway in the United States.

This will be a very stupid comparison because of the scale, but I think it's important to emphasize what you said here.

Last week I talked with the owners of a goat farm (an "organic" one, not an industrial one) who moved from a big city to the countryside. They knew nothing about goats when they started, and there were very few resources available to learn about it.

Guess what...

Yeah, they made some very stupid mistakes, but in the end learned everything themselves and now own a successful, growing farm—despite knowing absolutely nothing about it in the beginning.

Running a goat farm is not like starting an online business with relatively few negative consequences. If you screw up when buying goats and managing their health, your entire herd can die (and they were extremely lucky it didn't happen to them). If you screw up when making any dairy products, someone can get sick and you'll get sued. And lastly, if for any reason you fail to learn something, your entire investment in the farm is gone (not many real estate buyers in the middle of nowhere).

Most people today (and I'd say primarily young people who seem to be less reliant than the previous generations) would probably never consider starting something in which they have no experience. They wouldn't start unless they had everything explained to them step-by-step, with ideally another person overseeing everything so that they don't have to become the actual experts.

This leaves many fields wide open for those who are willing to risk looking stupid, willing to suffer from frustrating learning experiences, and willing to expand their knowledge to an area that might be completely different than their current skill-set.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.