The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Habit changer: TV is a pitiful waste of time

chuckypita

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 16, 2017
Salt Lake City
After reading James Clear book, "Atomic Habits" - I decided to change my environment up a little bit so I don't fall into the same routines and time depleting habits.

I posted this sign on my TV.

20190120_132429-300x225.jpg

Hopefully it works wonders.

What are some specific actions you've taken to change a habit?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

James Cozens

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
Oct 26, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I literally just threw my TV in a rubbish skip. I've found the best ways to stop distractions are to simply remove them.

E.g: I always found myself going on the Facebook app without thinking. Suddenly I'm scrolling the newsfeed and wondering how I got there. So I deleted the Facebook app from my phone. When I need it for business, I just log in on my laptop.

Same goes for eating badly: remove all junk food from your home. Create a meal plan and schedule your eating - make sure you're full of healthy food all the time, then there is less room for impulse eating. It sounds like a lot of work, but (like anything) it gets easier with practice.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
After reading James Clear book, "Atomic Habits" - I decided to change my environment up a little bit so I don't fall into the same routines and time depleting habits.

Did you unplug it, too?

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
When I want to get more done I pack my xbox up in a box and throw it in the basement until I finish what I need to get done :). Its way to easy to look over from my desk at my couch and TV, And say "F*ck it" and go over and waste a whole saturday playing video games.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
'It is not a daily increase, but a daily decrease. Hack away at the inessentials.'
- Bruce Lee

I've applied that quote to my life and many bad habits (and people) have been removed. In my experience, going cold turkey on habits like that can lead to relapse. Good on the note though, the constant subtle reminders should keep you on track.

NickC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jan 20, 2017
Chicago
I need to find a way to do this with my pc games. Uninstalling probably won't do

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.'

This is from Aristotle, said over 2300 years ago. You can easily twist it and the same is true.

'We are what we repeatedly do. Laziness, then, is not an act but a habit.'

I read a book called 'The Personal MBA,' and in there the author made a good point saying the best way to start a new habit is to link it to an existing one.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Did you unplug it, too?

Hey now!!! Don't be talking crazy! :)

I rarely watch tv (sometimes right before bed) but I am getting one for the garage this week and I asked my wife to order another cable box. Just about an hour ago my wife asked why I was getting one for the garage since I never watch it in the house. I didn't really have a great answer except I like watching Live PD. lol

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015

That language is indicative of a bigger problem.

Your problem isn't TV. Your problem is that you haven't internalized your locus of control, and that's because you aren't mentally focused enough. Think of it this way - you're trying to manage your time so that you have more time in the day. Okay....what for?

Instead of managing your time, manage your focus. What are you thinking about? If you're 100% focused on your purpose, you're going to naturally filter out anything that doesn't help you.

What does it say about you, if you need a sticky note to remind you not to watch TV? It means that you aren't consciously choosing your actions. Why is that? It's because you don't actually have a clear goal in mind.

Look at the note you wrote. Your alternate activities include: "Write a goal", "Call a potential client" and "Build something". What you ought to do is find your endpoint, make a list of every step you need to get there, and just get to work.

Presumably, you don't think it makes sense for you to watch TV until you've made your Fastlane exit. There's a simple solution then. Sell your tv.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL

Meh..

TV is enjoyable. Everyone needs an escape and television is the simplest escape. $100MM productions brought to you for $10 a month.

I'd rather live the following life:
  • Watch TV all day everyday
than...
  • Read a book
  • Vacuum
  • Clean my room
  • Do the dishes
  • Make cookies
  • Write a goal
  • Write in my journal
The problem isn't TV - it's a lack of discipline. There's enough hours in a day to work, workout, spend time with your family, and unwind by watching something.

But if TV is coming at the cost of improving your life, then yeah, your approach was the right one.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
It's not going to change anything unless you replace the time with something productive. That's the more important part .

Anyway, I started a blog last year instead of watching TV or vegging on the internet. Currently at about 10k pageviews per month and make a couple hundred dollars each month. It's not much, but it's a hobby that I enjoy AND is somewhat productive.

So that's my advice. Quit the TV. Just make sure to replace it with ACTION or you'll be at the exact same point.

I mean, if you call and close enough clients, then you can just hire a maid to clean your room and a cook to bake you cookies.

Last edited:

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Very good it is amazing how a simply book can impact your habits right away. My recommendation: just throw the TV away or sell it :D it is a major waste of time and you already know what you should be doing instead.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
The problem isn't TV - it's a lack of discipline. There's enough hours in a day to work, workout, spend time with your family, and unwind by watching something.

And if there isn't then you need to get that balance back. I spent too many years working stupid hours and missing my kids growing up. All that gets you is regret.

Besides TV can provide an education as well as entertainment.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
I deleted my FB app long ago, as well as Amazon and Ebay.
Hey now!!! Don't be talking crazy! :)

I rarely watch tv (sometimes right before bed) but I am getting one for the garage this week and I asked my wife to order another cable box. Just about an hour ago my wife asked why I was getting one for the garage since I never watch it in the house. I didn't really have a great answer except I like watching Live PD. lol
I overstepped. I'm so sorry. ;)

Jello

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 1, 2018
NL
I like to watch TV. But in moderation.

I never put it on in the morning and watch the news in the gym when on a stationary bike. I don't like households where the TV is shouting from morning to night.

When at lunch I watch the news again. Late in the afternoon I like to watch CNBC or Bloomberg.

TV can be educational too. For example I love the show The Profit. Learned a lot from Marcus and those things where directly applicable in my own business.

And sometimes you have to unwind with nonsense like Family Guy.

Important is to have discipline and goals. Once you know what you want to achieve all you have to do is work on it. That comes first. And sometimes you need to relax. TV is a nice way to unwind.

Imo you need to write down on this piece of paper you've attached on your television;

Before turning this on did I work on my business today? Did I everything wat was on my to do list? If not don't turn it on!

If you don't have a goal yet. Don't turn on the TV yet but write on your to do list;

Find a goal!

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Not boasting, but I don’t watch TV at all. I’ve always shyed from it, which is a struggle in my house because my wife is glued to the thing, along with video games. I used to be a gamer, but then I decided I want to be rich, so I had to stop. My media time is spent on my phone obsessing over my Fastlane venture.

I’ve taken up the habit of riding my bike to the store if I want something to eat on the weekends. Been a little difficult lately because it’s bullshit degrees right now in NC, but it does make me earn the cookie on non-hypothermic days.

I’ve also been diligent about keeping a running to-do list and making sure that at no time is there any part of my Fastlane venture waiting on me. I’ll return emails and calls immediately, and if somebody needs something, I drop everything and grind until I get it to them. Waiting on others, on the other hand, drives me crazy and gives me anxiety.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
That language is indicative of a bigger problem.

Your problem isn't TV. Your problem is that you haven't internalized your locus of control, and that's because you aren't mentally focused enough. Think of it this way - you're trying to manage your time so that you have more time in the day. Okay....what for?

Instead of managing your time, manage your focus. What are you thinking about? If you're 100% focused on your purpose, you're going to naturally filter out anything that doesn't help you.

What does it say about you, if you need a sticky note to remind you not to watch TV? It means that you aren't consciously choosing your actions. Why is that? It's because you don't actually have a clear goal in mind.

Look at the note you wrote. Your alternate activities include: "Write a goal", "Call a potential client" and "Build something". What you ought to do is find your endpoint, make a list of every step you need to get there, and just get to work.

Presumably, you don't think it makes sense for you to watch TV until you've made your Fastlane exit. There's a simple solution then. Sell your tv.

Great advice.

While breaking the TV habit is a great start, without the clear meaning and purpose toward that deviated time, it's similar to action-faking.

One must define the desired outcome, then visualize the identity and its habits critical to its implementation.

Consuming culture is important for the creative mind.

Very true. I don't mind ads on websites because I like seeing what everyone is doing.

Likewise, I own multiple TVs but I don't need to throw them away or cancel the subscriptions because I have a) Discipline and b) A purpose.

That said, the TVs don't come on for days on end, sometimes weeks. When I watch, it's usually a wind-down, a bed-session (don't feel well) or something else.

When you have a purpose, all the extraneous distractions sort of weed themselves out.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015

What would work better, would be to unplug it and pack it away in another room, as Clear says, add friction to your bad habits (remove it from your good ones).

I need to find a way to do this with my pc games. Uninstalling probably won't do

Try uninstalling after each game you play, you'll be surprised if you have to go through all of that each time you play, you'll probably restrict your play to once a week, or even never.

Also not saving any of your progress is a good one, that way you don't obsess over digital gold, manna, coins or whatever.

I'm surprised entrepreneurs still have TVs.

Ones with kids do.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
What would work better, would be to unplug it and pack it away in another room, as Clear says, add friction to your bad habits (remove it from your good ones).

Try uninstalling after each game you play, you'll be surprised if you have to go through all of that each time you play, you'll probably restrict your play to once a week, or even never.

Also not saving any of your progress is a good one, that way you don't obsess over digital gold, manna, coins or whatever.

Ones with kids do.
I played outside in the woods all throughout my elementary school years. Kids don't need TVs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

emphasize.v1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Nov 17, 2018
Yeah it is a waste of time. What I can't figure out is why are so many people addicted to TV in general.

With PC you can pick your own content instead being forced to watch idiotic, staged reality shows and clownish politicians all the time.

I'm pretty sure my future home won't have a TV at all.

Would be interesting to see how many people here watch TV weekly on average. I'm pretty sure it's super low.

Oh and good luck to you. I hope you replace that habit mate.

Last edited:

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
I grew up with a TV in every room. I now have one in every room as well. I thought it was completely normal.
My wife thought I was crazy.
I only have a few shows I watch and the rest is Football (a lot less lately) and combat sports.
In my office I have started listening to MJ's youtube channel on my TV.
I agree it can be a huge distraction, but with that being said anything can be a distraction if you aren't focused.
I read a lot and constantly put my time and energy into my businesses.
For me TV is strictly for entertainment.
We do not play video games in our household. That too me is wasted time.
We go outside, surf, play football, practice Krav Maga, etc.
TV is what you make of it.
If you want to watch mindless crap all day you will find a way. Youtube, phones, iPads all of those are the same thing.

Just my 2 cents!

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
I'm surprised entrepreneurs still have TVs.
I remember reading Elon Musk's biography that he plays video games...so whatever
Would be interesting to see how many people here watch TV weekly on average. I'm pretty sure it's super low.
I watch a movie per week. I watch a lot of short films on vimeo. I go see a movie at the theater once a month.

I prefer making my own movies. lol

JG17

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Oct 22, 2018
London, UK
It's a nice idea but seems like action faking to me. You feel pretty good about this idea right, enough to take a picture and post it on here at least.

Take the note off of your TV, throw it away. You don't need it.

What you do need is to work on your discipline. The best way to do that is to be able to have something but choose not to, get used to feeling uncomfortable and learning to resist urges. Build mental toughness, the ability to say 'no' to yourself and dictate your life. If you don't work on this then the sticky note isn't going to last long. If you can't choose to do one of your suggested tasks rather than watch TV then you need to work on your desire. If your desire to achieve your goals doesn't outweigh your desire to watch TV then what are you even doing?

You can't put sticky notes on your discipline or desire, but working on these characteristics, working on yourself, will help you far more in the long run than any sticky note ever will.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I played outside in the woods all throughout my elementary school years. Kids don't need TVs

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

In the context of the 21st century in the middle of a city, they don't need it, however they will be exposed to it via their friends. By depriving an 8 year old of TV all I would be doing is creating a huge desire for it, leading her to binge later on.

Rather, I'm teaching her to use it responsibly, she watches it mainly on the weekend, and Fridays after school.

For instance I've tried keeping her away from MacDonald's, she's never tasted it, I tell her it's poison, however her friends all love it and so now she badly wants to taste it. This is what happens if you ban stuff for what they see as no good reason.

If I lived in the middle of the woods with other wood-dwelling folk, then maybe I could get away with no Maccy Ds and no TV... :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.