The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Picking a LMS for Training and Courses

KennyAronson

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 10, 2019
Hello Everyone,

I need a good platform to host my courses and training materials for my business.

My target audiences include professionals and young students who want to take charge of their education without handing over their soul for a worthless degree. I will provide them the tools, skills, and habits necessary for self education along with how they can turn this knowledge into a a hobby, career, or a business.

A few pointers:
  • I want to offer a free four week training program to teach people the basics so they can immediately apply the knowledge and get the benefit to their life.
  • I want to offer upsell courses, training, programs, and potential mobile applications as time goes on.
  • I want a LMS or solution which is customizable, scalable, and suitable for a fastlane business.
This is a high-level view and I could talk more about it for hours, but with that said, I need to find a LMS for the courses and training I want to offer.

What are your thoughts and what solutions would you possibly recommend?

P.S - And no, I don't want to be one of the guru's which offer courses for $997 with no real value which are the same as every other one. I want to create a real 'academy' which hopefully offers massive value on a Fastlane scale.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Fox ... what are you using for your LMS?

I’m using Thinkific to host a stand-alone course. I believe Teachable is as simple to setup and add content.

Maybe try just using paid emails initially and focus on getting people to signup for free and/or paid?

KennyAronson

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 10, 2019
LifterLMS looks very good though could get expensive.

I was considering either LearnDash or LifterLMS.

@Fox ... what are you using for your LMS?

I’m using Thinkific to host a stand-alone course. I believe Teachable is as simple to setup and add content.

Maybe try just using paid emails initially and focus on getting people to signup for free and/or paid?

I have been using Thinkific the past few months, but I am not the biggest fan. I want to expand what I offer into a free academy which will hopefully look professional, well designed, and have integrated funnels and customizability for the business.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
I use Moodle and host it myself, currently on AWS. It has no problem supporting a large number of students (2k per year for me, give or take, but others have scaled it much larger), and we can customize our classes to have deep structure and teach very difficult and in-depth subjects. When I was getting started I had a technical advantage -- I could set up hosting myself, spin up servers, etc. But there are Moodle hosting services too, I believe. Might be worth looking into for you. What's nice is that your costs are fixed relatively low... there are no "per student" fees or anything like that.

KennyAronson

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 10, 2019
I use Moodle and host it myself, currently on AWS. It has no problem supporting a large number of students (2k per year for me, give or take, but others have scaled it much larger), and we can customize our classes to have deep structure and teach very difficult and in-depth subjects. When I was getting started I had a technical advantage -- I could set up hosting myself, spin up servers, etc. But there are Moodle hosting services too, I believe. Might be worth looking into for you. What's nice is that your costs are fixed relatively low... there are no "per student" fees or anything like that.

Thank you for the recommendation, I will look into Moodle right now.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
I use Moodle and host it myself, currently on AWS. It has no problem supporting a large number of students (2k per year for me, give or take, but others have scaled it much larger),

We have 12,000 students at our University and we're using Moodle. No problem performance-wise (I'm the admin in charge of it).

KennyAronson

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Jan 10, 2019
We have 12,000 students at our University and we're using Moodle. No problem performance-wise (I'm the admin in charge of it).

Very nice, my end goal is to have a massive amount of users enter my ecosystem. Of course that's off in the distance.

How would you gentlemen recommend getting started with Moodle? I already have a site hosted on Siteground with Wordpress installed.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Moodle is pretty straightforward to install, but you have to be used to fiddling with folders ,when upgrading versions. With backups. I strongly recommend doing daily backups.

The best thing you can do is run another instance on the side and copy data and database to apply upgrades on your development environment. This way you can test new features, deprecated stuff, etc.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
If you have CPanel, you may have the "one click install" button for various platforms. Here's a page about it for siteground. Eventually you'll need to configure things so that logins go over https, and the site performs better, etc, but you can try it out and even build and export your classes on a basic hosting package.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Moodle is pretty straightforward to install, but you have to be used to fiddling with folders ,when upgrading versions. With backups. I strongly recommend doing daily backups.

The best thing you can do is run another instance on the side and copy data and database to apply upgrades on your development environment. This way you can test new features, deprecated stuff, etc.

Definitely need a good, automated backup strategy when things get going. My guess/hope is that "as a service" providers, whether moodle or others, will do this for you. If you get to the point where you need (and can implement) more trustworthy backups than they offer, or when you run into other limitations, then you can migrate to your own servers (meaning Amazon or something really).

My classes started out on a budget hosted Moodle, click-to-install. It wasn't until they started selling that I moved to more robust platforms.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.