The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Major Quickbooks Price Increase. Alternatives?

WriteThatDown

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Nov 24, 2015
PA
We've been using QB for years, and switched to the online version about 18 months ago. Had the $50/mo plan; I think that was the top of the line version at the time. About 2 months ago, found out the price was going to $60/mo... I thought, OK, nbd.

Within the last few weeks, I saw emails from QB about outgrowing my plan, and upgrade soon to save 50% for 3 months. I thought it was simply an up-sell for a new feature/service, so I ignored it, until I read today's email a little closer.

It looks like they've imposed limits on the number of certain items you can have: chart of accounts, SKUs, customers/contacts, etc. Our SKU count was what put us over the new limit. The new price... $150/month!

Instead of grandfathering people in for the old pricing structure, they're making everyone pay the new rates! I called customer service, and after listening to their scripted responses about ALL the new features I'd be enjoying, they basically confirmed, my price will be tripling.

So, I'm currently weighing our options. The front runner move is: F*** them, we'll find something else.... But it would be quite a task for us to migrate.

Anyone else having luck with other accounting software?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
150 x 12 = 1800
1800 / 0.20 = 9000

would staying with what you have give you the time to increase annual sales $9k?

if so, focus on selling shit.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
I actually can't believe you're using QBO for that quantity of SKUs. Does it actually provide you useful information?
For 15k SKUs, I would consider an actual inventory software, or ERP system. With that many products, your sales should be in the tens of millions, which would justify better systems.

WriteThatDown

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Nov 24, 2015
PA
I actually can't believe you're using QBO for that quantity of SKUs. Does it actually provide you useful information?
For 15k SKUs, I would consider an actual inventory software, or ERP system. With that many products, your sales should be in the tens of millions, which would justify better systems.

True SKU count isn't really that high... It's inflated because of variant SKUs (size, color, etc.). This was a company we purchased earlier this year, and that's the way they had it setup. It was easier during the transition to "stay the course" and just keep it the same, because, until now, it worked.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
True SKU count isn't really that high... It's inflated because of variant SKUs (size, color, etc.). This was a company we purchased earlier this year, and that's the way they had it setup. It was easier during the transition to "stay the course" and just keep it the same, because, until now, it worked.

Um, that is the true SKU count. Just because they are variants doesn't mean that you don't track them the same as if they were another individual product. If you have 15000 SKUs, it's hard to imagine that a $90/mo jump would affect your business at all.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Interesting discussion. Reminds me Marcus on The Profit when he cuts skus b/c most of them don't sell.
This is why I think everyone should know their true profit by SKU. You could be losing money on items, even if they sell thousands a year.

whiz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
Nov 29, 2017
New Jersey

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
About 15,000

Are you holding inventory or is this a print on demand or dropshipping company?

In my mind if you had 15000 SKUs and sold one of each every month and each product made just $1 per sale, you’re making $15000 profit a month. That’s why questioning a $90/mo increase is odd to me.

Btw when I look at my SKUs I like to see at least 3 a day, or 100 sold per month. If the sku doesn’t hit that after 6 months I drop it.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
My accountant switched me from QB to Xero if that helps, but idk why you aren't asking your accountant what they prefer you to use.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I used to use Sage Line 50. That was a stand alone accounting package but it seems everyone wants to jump on the monthly screw you platform now (SAAS) as it is far more profitable.

I had Sage connected to a SAAS program that would pull in orders from eBay and from Amazon into Sage every 15 minutes to create invoices on the fly. These were then automatically sent out to the warehouse printer for picking and packing.

I remember hating the fact that I was signing up for monthly software which was critical to my operation and meant that I was effectively held to ransom every time they wanted to hike up the price. It was much cheaper that employing 1 or 2 full time staff to do the same job though.

I too had Quickbooks standalone for years for my personal finances. When I set up my last company Sage was totally over the top as I was only processing a few invoices a day so I went with QB online. I thought they made it practically impossible to export your data so you could switch companies?

Last edited:

WriteThatDown

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Nov 24, 2015
PA
Are you holding inventory or is this a print on demand or dropshipping company?

We are not holding all of that inventory.... Sorry; I re-read my initial post where I mentioned the SKUs are inflated and did a poor job of explaining it.

To answer your question: both. We have proudcts that we import and retail, but then also have an on demand production division in which we customize/alter raw material to spec based on different options available. Thus, the high SKU count, and (relatively) low actual on-hand inventory.

We have SKUs created for every possible variant that could exist, and we could choose to have in inventory. Imagine a T Shirt Company that has SKUs built for 6 sizes and 25 colors for each shirt, but in reality only holds size medium & large, and 2 colors. That's us.

We could go through and start deleting SKUs, but when I dug in and looked at the SKUs we'd want to keep, we'd still be over the 1,000 mark. But again, that's 'high' because of the on-demand side of the business... We're really only inventorying the raw material for that division.

The $90/mo is not going to make or break us. The frustration is being beholden to a SAAS provider that triples my price with no warning. When will it jump to $250/mo and beyond? (Say that sentence again in a Buzz Lightyear voice).

I started the thread right after my call with QB... Was not in the best mood! We're going to continue on with QBO for the foreseeable future, but looking at options. QB has never been the perfect 'fit' for us, and it's a process we should be re-evaluating anyway... I guess this just gave us the kick in the rear we needed!

WriteThatDown

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Nov 24, 2015
PA
I remember hating the fact that I was signing up for monthly software which was critical to my operation and meant that I was effectively held to ransom every time they wanted to hike up the price. It was much cheaper that employing 1 or 2 full time staff to do the same job though.

THIS

Could not agree more. My frustration does not only lie in the $90/mo bump. I mean, I'd rather not pay it! But, unless I invest time and energy into other options, I have to pay it.

It's really an eye opening exercise to go through and add up all your monthly subscriptions, both personally and professionally... Entertainment alone was crazy for me: Netflix, Audbile, Spotify, Prime, and DirecTV Now! I thought to myself "boy, I should use some of those more!".... Then I thought, "no you idiot, those are time wasters (except audible); get rid of them and keep grinding!".... So, I deleted my DirecTV Now account ;). I guess I have an extra $40/mo to put towards my higher accounting bill :rofl:.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
THIS

Could not agree more. My frustration does not only lie in the $90/mo bump. I mean, I'd rather not pay it! But, unless I invest time and energy into other options, I have to pay it.

It's really an eye opening exercise to go through and add up all your monthly subscriptions, both personally and professionally... Entertainment alone was crazy for me: Netflix, Audbile, Spotify, Prime, and DirecTV Now! I thought to myself "boy, I should use some of those more!".... Then I thought, "no you idiot, those are time wasters (except audible); get rid of them and keep grinding!".... So, I deleted my DirecTV Now account ;). I guess I have an extra $40/mo to put towards my higher accounting bill :rofl:.
I went though this exercise recently when I had to replace a compromised credit card. I didn’t realise how many little monthly recurring payments I’d accumulated. (Each one sent me an email to let me know - which is a handy way of finding them all again.)

/derail

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

Agreed it is worthwhile for all of us to look at both our business and personal bank accounts at least a couple of times a year and see where savings can be made. You can easily overlook payment if you aren't careful. And sometimes you find something you haven't used in years you are still subscribed for.

A few years back I cut our satellite subscription down from all channels to just a basic package. I have a Prime account, Audible and a subscription that keeps an eye out for credit card fraud and that's about it on a personal level.

Tom Mercer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Dec 10, 2018
We are not holding all of that inventory.... Sorry; I re-read my initial post where I mentioned the SKUs are inflated and did a poor job of explaining it.

To answer your question: both. We have proudcts that we import and retail, but then also have an on demand production division in which we customize/alter raw material to spec based on different options available. Thus, the high SKU count, and (relatively) low actual on-hand inventory.

We have SKUs created for every possible variant that could exist, and we could choose to have in inventory. Imagine a T Shirt Company that has SKUs built for 6 sizes and 25 colors for each shirt, but in reality only holds size medium & large, and 2 colors. That's us.

We could go through and start deleting SKUs, but when I dug in and looked at the SKUs we'd want to keep, we'd still be over the 1,000 mark. But again, that's 'high' because of the on-demand side of the business... We're really only inventorying the raw material for that division.

The $90/mo is not going to make or break us. The frustration is being beholden to a SAAS provider that triples my price with no warning. When will it jump to $250/mo and beyond? (Say that sentence again in a Buzz Lightyear voice).

I started the thread right after my call with QB... Was not in the best mood! We're going to continue on with QBO for the foreseeable future, but looking at options. QB has never been the perfect 'fit' for us, and it's a process we should be re-evaluating anyway... I guess this just gave us the kick in the rear we needed!

Hey @WriteThatDown i always recommend Xero - my clients find it the easiest to use and Xero are very innovative and forward looking, always bringing out new features and improvements.

It’s definately a lot cheaper then the $150 QB is trying to push you up to and you can have a free 30 day trial to see what you think of it.

A few things that can help you out is that it’s easy to import a year or two of historical data so you can have that there for comparison.

Also there is a great integration with amazon that will increase the accuracy of your records.

You should find it easy to monitor any creep in costs that occur by checking out monthly reports.

Last edited:

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
I recommend Xero as well. However, I don't have anywhere near the SKU count as you.

Honestly, I think your tripping over nickels instead of focusing on the dollars.

kanunay

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 20, 2018
United States
It seems there are options out there for those who are frustrated with quickbooks, or have outgrown it, but the problem is they aren't quickbooks, and people don't like to learn a new way of doing things. From what I gather, most CPAs/accountants that work with smaller businesses know quickbooks and nothing else.

Make something as quickbooks-like as possible without getting sued - maybe that's what I should be spending my time on.

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
In the past, I too thought "use the accounting software my CPA uses" and that always seems to be Quickbooks. But today my potential new CPA indicated they don't care. It's the bookkeeper that cares. The CPA just needs all the reports it spits out.

If that's true, I'm looking at Xero or something similar. I would consider Wave but it doesn't integrate with US Stripe accounts.

Quickbooks sucks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.