The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forum Hack: Say Thank You and Get More Help

Topics relating to managing people and relationships

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
This might seem like a pointless thread, but far too often I see threads die for this very reason:

Someone asks a question. They get great replies from forum members. And then they fail to say "thank you", but ask more questions. Eventually people stop replying and the thread dies.

Just take a look at new threads in the next week and you'll see this exact phenomena.

So how do you keep threads from dying and have people more likely to help you?

Simple.

Just say Thank You. There's even a button for it.

Q6bmbkI.png

Click it and it'll send an "Alert" to the other person that you appreciated their post. It will also increase their likelihood of coming back to that same thread and helping you more.

Then, if they really helped you, click the "Rep Transfer" button and send them some fake internet money.

Seriously.

With a couple clicks you'll have a lot more people willing to help you out, and you'll have a much better thread.

P.s. I'd prefer if people didn't like this post. It'd make me feel stupid to get likes on a thread asking people to give likes.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
This might seem like a pointless thread, but far too often I see threads die for this very reason:

Someone asks a question. They get great replies from forum members. And then they fail to say "thank you", but ask more questions. Eventually people stop replying and the thread dies.

Just take a look at new threads in the next week and you'll see this exact phenomena.

So how do you keep threads from dying and have people more likely to help you?

Simple.

Just say Thank You. There's even a button for it.

Q6bmbkI.png

Click it and it'll send an "Alert" to the other person that you appreciated their post. It will also increase their likelihood of coming back to that same thread and helping you more.

Then, if they really helped you, click the "Rep Transfer" button and send them some fake internet money.

Seriously.

With a couple clicks you'll have a lot more people willing to help you out, and you'll have a much better thread.

P.s. I'd prefer if people didn't like this post. It'd make me feel stupid to get likes on a thread asking people to give likes.

I gave you rep about 15 minutes ago for one of your most recent posts. The info was well appreciated. :)

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 30, 2014
I wonder tho....

Is giving an empty thanks knowing full well you don't plan to follow through
really worth it?

I have noticed that when some posters gets their question answered in a round about way
it's as if they revel in the procrastination because they get to ask more questions.

Give Solid step by step advice = no more feel good brain chemicals.

They skip town (the thread).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Not just a forum hack, but a hack for life.

We all know we have to give to recieve.

Until recently, I didn't realise the power of "Giving Thanks".

Great post @AgainstAllOdds. Thanks!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
The older I get, the more I realize how uncommon common sense is.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

vitality11

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
Sep 12, 2015
OK
I am a man...puppies are cute... but this forum is one place where I read success stories and feel inspired. Sometimes to the point where I want to squeeze tears out of my eyes! Just so much generosity and wisdom here. And people doing what they can to build a better life for themselves.
And people who already have built a great life are getting joy out of providing value and giving back. And at the same time these people are leading by example by further building on the great life they already have.

This forum is about reaching your potential and about becoming the best version of yourself.
A "can-do" attitude, a "won't stop" attitude, a "lead by example" attitude.

Leadership by example and the spirit that people create here - It is really hard to beat that! It is really really hard to beat that.

In the distant past, I used to be excited about "securing" a date.
Now, the chase is to be like the great ones here. It's the best adventure. It is exciting.

To sum it all up. I feel very very fortunate to have found this place.
This is my home.

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
Can't seem to ever "not" agree with AgainstAllOdds.

I've noticed this phenomenon on these forums rather quickly. Some people need extra guidance, even if it's as trivial as telling them to click the "thank you" button when they get a response to their question. Like Andy Black said, "Not just a forum hack, but a hack for life."

The way I see it is some people "get it", and some people "don't".

JokerCrazyBeatz

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Jun 1, 2016
I am a man...puppies are cute... but this forum is one place where I read success stories and feel inspired. Sometimes to the point where I want to squeeze tears out of my eyes! Just so much generosity and wisdom here. And people doing what they can to build a better life for themselves.
And people who already have built a great life are getting joy out of providing value and giving back. And at the same time these people are leading by example by further building on the great life they already have.

This forum is about reaching your potential and about becoming the best version of yourself.
A "can-do" attitude, a "won't stop" attitude, a "lead by example" attitude.

Leadership by example and the spirit that people create here - It is really hard to beat that! It is really really hard to beat that.

In the distant past, I used to be excited about "securing" a date.
Now, the chase is to be like the great ones here. It's the best adventure. It is exciting.

To sum it all up. I feel very very fortunate to have found this place.
This is my home.
THIS!!! This forum is such amazing place it's almost unreal . Recently I find myself just lurking threads , studying and soaking up all the breadcrumbs of wisdom the successful members leave . So far people like @Andy Black , @IceCreamKid , and @Ubermensch have been the ones that I see leave the best tips (even tho Uber seems like his rants are super crazy lol) and I appreciate MJ for having such a brilliant idea . I appreciate everyone willing to help even tho this forum is full of "tough love" it's such a energy of "I WANT YOU TO SUCCEED" on every post it's hard not to love this place. I'll contiue to lurk , study , ask questions , and implement what I learn untill I reach where I want to be. Thank all of you so much

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Bump.

IMO, don't just click "Like/Thanks". Reply with what you liked about it and what you're going to do differently going forward. People don't produce content just for it to be read - they want others to take action on it.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Thanks for the bump @Andy Black.

Saying a genuine thanks, helping someone selflessly, Giving a smile to whoever you meet are the things which pull us to greatness and humanity.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Expressing thanks is good for you.

Studies have shown that whenever you do a good deed, give someone a smile, a thank you, or a hug, your brain releases a small shot of Dopamine, which is a neurochemical associated with rewards and pleasure.

Here's a summary from PsychologyToday.com:
"Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps control the brain's reward and pleasure centers. Dopamine also helps regulate movement and emotional responses, and it enables us not only to see rewards, but to take action to move toward them. Dopamine deficiency results in Parkinson's Disease, and people with low dopamine activity may be more prone to addiction."

It's worth noting that the actions described provide the same benefit for those who give, and those who receive.

Doing acts of kindness might seem to be altruistic, but receiving that little dopamine shot can itself become addictive, as it does in generating social media addiction, so widespread since the introduction of smartphones.

Walter

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.