The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fox's 2019 Make $100k Starting Web Design from Scratch Challenge

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Good luck with the challenge @Fox!

I am sure I will get better in time but for now, even making the videos is a challenge ha!

You sure will, but just know that your videos are awesome to begin with! Great content, audio/video quality, and you come off as someone who's filmed a 1000 videos, very natural and cool.

First, a technical one... What do they call the effect where the website scrolls up past a background scene that stays put.

That's parallax:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Finally got around to reading this thread. I'm psyched about this one myself, I always look at the new year as a fresh start.

This challenge is legit, but at the same time starting over from the bottom up will let you to build it even better this time around and I bet your approach and how you process your new clients will be better this time around.

Good Luck Mate! I'll be watching this journey closely ;)

Sampath

Be the Change that you want to see in this world
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 30, 2018
Canberra, Australia
After the success of @Lex DeVille's Upwork challenge, I decided to start one of my own...

Start a completely new web design business in 2019, get it back to making over 100k+ a year, and document the whole thing.

Pretty ambitious but I thought this over and have fully committed. It for sure won't be easy (I am actually quite nervous) but at the same time it will:

- Force me to take huge action and step up my game
- Show others what is possible and how to get similar results
- Cuts out a lot of the nonsense within the web design teaching/guru space
- Should be a good bonus lesson for people on here in making valuable content and growing an audience

This is a 100% real challenge - I will document the whole thing and as much as possible and share will client details, projects, successes and failures etc.

I thought over a lot what sort of content would best help people looking at web design and figured showing the "real behind the scenes" stuff would cut through a lot of noise. Having to start again will force me to share what exact steps I am taking and how the market is responding.

On top of this, I will be also offering some extra services like video production, photos, email marketing and automation, and branding and marketing.

So here we go!

Here is the first video outlining the challenge....

If the Fastlane forum wants I can also make extra videos/answer questions just for the forum on the making and results of the actual challenge - Youtube production and growth, how it links to Fox Web School, and so on.

Taking this challenge does link to what I do with Fox Web School as I am hoping to make more real content that stands apart from what @MJ DeMarco calls "bro marketing". As things progress I will share also how those results are also and how I am hoping to disrupt the web design educational niche.
Thanks @Fox,
I am excited as well. I am following your thread/YT videos to learn and do.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Next episode is up...

Was so annoyed this week - had a great deal lined up and the guy just didn't even want to know about it. Anyway managed to land another free website project later in the week to kick things off.
---
Any questions on landing the first project or on the actual challenge itself (production etc) let me know here.
Thanks.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Did it go like this?
Fox:"Hey, man, I can build an awesome website for you that will get you even more customers."
Dude: "We've got some rooms for you to check out."
Fox:" I love the rooms but I came down here to make you an awesome website which means more customers for you.
Dude: "Hey! Have you seen our rooms? Isn't it great? They're totally awesome! You should give us your money and book a room."
Fox: O_O

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Did it go like this?
Fox:"Hey, man, I can build an awesome website for you that will get you even more customers."
Dude: "We've got some rooms for you to check out."
Fox:" I love the rooms but I came down here to make you an awesome website which means more customers for you.
Dude: "Hey! Have you seen our rooms? Isn't it great? They're totally awesome! You should give us your money and book a room."
Fox: O_O

Not too far off ha.

I think he is a good guy at heart but somehow it got all mixed up.

I was mostly frustrated at my own choice of the project / flying down without more concrete commitment.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
@Fox, I actually use the Sartre theme for some things, but I use the Wordpress version. I know you use the HTML version, but do you have any idea on how you might change the background on the Sliders? Specifically the Split Hero Slider. I’ve tried everything.

Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 1.39.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 1.40.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-12-17 at 1.40.23 PM.png

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox, I actually use the Sartre theme for some things, but I use the Wordpress version. I know you use the HTML version, but do you have any idea on how you might change the background on the Sliders? Specifically the Split Hero Slider. I’ve tried everything.

View attachment 22900 View attachment 22901 View attachment 22902

Best bet with that stuff is to contact the theme designers directly.
They are super fast to respond and can give you the best info.

There is a way to do it where you bought the theme.

RichieKastl

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 10, 2017
Ohio
Ya one or two. Usually there are third party apps that just plug into a site quite easily.

One example is Acuity Scheduling - Online Appointment Scheduling Software.
People can pay on the site to set up a consultation while the website owner (your client) can manage things on their end without needing to know how to code. I got one client who has done multiple six figures in bookings alone through their site.

Short answer - when it comes to payments there are lots of solutions that you can just add into a simple site.

Congrats on landing your first project! That gym looks really cool!

AniM

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
193%
Apr 11, 2018
DC
How much do you think the site you're doing for free is worth if you charged your full price?

And what was your criteria for the business you would do it for? I remember you once mentioned doing a site for a family member that nobody ever even saw or used and it was a waste of time, even as a portfolio piece. What criteria makes doing this for free worth it?

dawp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Oct 23, 2017
I tried to do this but i gave up. Too easly. Shame on me.
The things i had problems with are:
  • even if i want to give a website for free it looks suspicious for people. How can i explain that to them?
  • if someone is interested, then they want to meet during business hours, in my office. The problems is i work full time and i don't have any office. Meeting a client in a coffee shop is unprofessional, isn't it?
Have you had problems with that, @Fox? or @ChrisV ? Or anyone?

kristkaa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
May 15, 2015
Estonia
  • even if i want to give a website for free it looks suspicious for people. How can i explain that to them?
  • if someone is interested, then they want to meet during business hours, in my office. The problems is i work full time and i don't have any office. Meeting a client in a coffee shop is unprofessional, isn't it?

1) Why not just telling them the real reason You are doing this for free (to build portfolio)?
2) They probably want you to go to their business instead.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey Fox - I'd like to be a customer. I need a website made for my company.

I just got back to your PM. Thanks.

I don't think I will add it to this challenge (that would kinda be cheating ha) but I will help you whatever way I can.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
How much do you think the site you're doing for free is worth if you charged your full price?

And what was your criteria for the business you would do it for? I remember you once mentioned doing a site for a family member that nobody ever even saw or used and it was a waste of time, even as a portfolio piece. What criteria makes doing this for free worth it?

Probably like $2,000 - $3,000.

They sell membership at $200 a year so wouldn't be hard to justify the cost. It is a good niche to start with to show the value of a website but not a great "profit" niche since gyms are generally low margins and it's super competitive.

For a website, my main thing to look for is "value".

It usally breaks down to mostly more customers/sales/profit.

So if I can bring in more people to the site - win (SEO)
If I can get more people to buy on the site - win (Conversion)
If I can get people to buy MORE (Sales in general) - win

I want to improve all three but I like to work with sites that have some SEO/views already.

There are other harder to track things too like trust, credibility, new services, or products etc.

For any site I need to make sure there will be people viewing the site. Without this none of the other things matter. No views - no sales.

So with a new site, I need to make sure that it will get listed. With a typical niche this could be an issue but with a gym, people will be searching a lot. They have a decent amount of natural search volume already (gyms in this town in general).

I just need to make sure I can get it listed on google businesses and it should do the rest itself.

Ill cover this in one of the upcoming videos too.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

I think you are over thinking it a little.

It is work in exchange for free advertising/testimonials. That is probably as old as business itself.

Tell the businesses why you are doing it and that you need them to succeed so you can succeed (position yourself on their side of the table).

Meet in their office. Or have a phone call. Or meet anywhere.

Lots of freelancers don't have offices. I have never met a single client in my office (cause I don't have one) or my house. If it is someone local then their business is the best place to meet.

Get back out there and make it work!

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Edit: I misunderstood the question somewhat, but I’ll leave the answer anyway because I think it’s useful. I thought he was responding about our template conversation.

Original message:

Every designer buys resources. Whether it be fonts, or stock photos, or layouts. Even major TV show producers use stock footage and buy templates for Adobe InDesign. No one can do 100% of Graphic Design by themselves.

But the important thing is... I’d think of it terms of value. You go to the store and buy a $4 cheeseburger. It’s really good. You’re happy with your purchase. That cheeseburger has added at least $4 worth the value to your life. Do you care if robots made it, or if someone had to slave over a hot stove making it from scratch.

If you charge $1,500 for a site (which is a good price when you’re starting out) if your customer feels like they got even $1,501 worth the value from it, they’re going to be happy.

So let me ask you this question. If you were a customer... would you rather someone made you an amazing, awesome website for $1,500... or would you rather they gave you a ‘meh’ one that they worked really really hard on.

At the end of the day they’re paying for the results.

And trust me... even using templates, you’re going to be putting in work. They’re going to be messaging you asking you to make tweaks, change fonts, move pictures. And if anyone asks just say ‘I buy like 30 different templates, choose one that fit’s my client’s needs, and use them as starting points'

Again, it’s the results that matter more than how you got the results. If you needed your lawn mowed would you be mad if the landscaper had big, awesome equipment that made it really easy for them, or if they used a n on-electrical push mower. In reality, you’d probably prefer someone with the fancy equipment because it provides better/faster results.

As for the second question, I just talk to my clients over the phone and email. But sure, meet them in a coffee shop. Freelance graphic designers a lot of times don’t have offices.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Next episode is up...

Was so annoyed this week - had a great deal lined up and the guy just didn't even want to know about it. Anyway managed to land another free website project later in the week to kick things off.
---
Any questions on landing the first project or on the actual challenge itself (production etc) let me know here.
Thanks.

That was quite a run down of what you're going to be doing for the gym. Their lucky day, for sure.

The idiot that couldn't see what he was missing will hopefully be chewed up by his competition. Sounds like a burnt out bulb to me. You wouldn't want a reference like that. He can't even understand what it is that you'd be doing for him. Amazing.

dawp

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Oct 23, 2017
Just wondering, should i have my own brand with a custom name or should i just use my real name?

I am asking because i have already 2 projects in my portfolio, but i guess i need to have an online portfolio website where i present it for further clients, right?

Georgios K.

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Nov 29, 2018
How absurd that the other guy declined free services to upgrade his business. Totally unexpected and on this regard, I wouldn't label this as a failure on your side too much.

Really looking forward to what you'll do with that gym!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Just wondering, should i have my own brand with a custom name or should i just use my real name?

I am asking because i have already 2 projects in my portfolio, but i guess i need to have an online portfolio website where i present it for further clients, right?

I would keep it a brand name even if it is just you.

You don't need a portfolio until you have quite a few sites done unless you really feel like having one. It is not a big a factor in landing sales as people think. It is just as easy (and maybe better) to just send direct links in emails (or whatever you are using) with some details to explain to the client the project and the results you got/problems you fixed.

I have never had a decent personal website and it hasn't held me back at all.

The only exception would be if you are looking to run ads / do SEO work to promote your business. Then, of course, it makes sense to invest the time and effort.

Personally, I have never done that as I end of selling a lot verbally and also directly to people.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
The newest video is up.

Was hard to keep going on Christmas eve but got it done!

I also just moved to Oaxaca so ready to go for 2019.
Hoping to really push myself to make some great content in 2019.

Ill make a big update post end of year.

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
The newest video is up.

Was hard to keep going on Christmas eve but got it done!

I also just moved to Oaxaca so ready to go for 2019.
Hoping to really push myself to make some great content in 2019.

Ill make a big update post end of year.

Rep transferred.

This was helpful, Fox.

Merry Christmas.

Rardburgundy

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 30, 2017
US
Longtime lurker here. Great posting fox. I am seeing 2019 as the launch year of a new business for me. For web design, SEO, and social media management, is there a way to legally avoid paying taxes? Would that mean setting the business up overseas (Cayman, etc.)? Would that also mean that the actual work be done there too? Or would it be sufficient to have it set up there and since everything is done online, that would be above board? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Longtime lurker here. Great posting fox. I am seeing 2019 as the launch year of a new business for me. For web design, SEO, and social media management, is there a way to legally avoid paying taxes? Would that mean setting the business up overseas (Cayman, etc.)? Would that also mean that the actual work be done there too? Or would it be sufficient to have it set up there and since everything is done online, that would be above board? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Taxes are a pretty niche subject and what is best for you will be based on your own unique set up. I would hire a proper accountant - they will be able to save you a lot of money each year. It is not something I can answer for you.

AdamUK

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 14, 2018
Love the content so far fox and following with interest.
You clearly have video production skills shown on your getting the gym client videos. I would imagine that's a huge selling point for you.

My question is are you going to post more content about how you create such awesome videos?

About me, I went down the local web design route last year but never put enough effort into getting clients to make it work.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
In my experience people believe what has value is worth paying for. You could have the same exact website one priced $100, the other $500. You better believe the $500 is gonna be more appealing. Better yet letting them know that you're selling the $500 at $100 is going to tip the value scale.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
Another option to consider is the way this guy does his courses on Udemy:
View attachment 22739
his face just appears in a bottom corner!
Pretty neat.

It still feels very personal, but we will not notice the interruption/change of position when a bad video sequence was cut out because we focus on the rest of the screen most of the time, not on his face;

Anybody know what software he's using to put his face down there in the corner?

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
@Fox would you create my online marketing agency website for your portfolio?
btw, I've tried :D

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.