The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Web 3.0 (Ethereum) is happening, and most people have no idea what it even is.

John March

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 20, 2018
France
True, but you can always take time to learn.
yes of course and if you want to learn the features of the cryptoassets, i suggest you to read "CRYPTOASSETS: the innovative investor's guide to bitcoin and beyond" , Chris Burniskske&Jack Tatar. Be careful, I never say that you should invest in it, i'm just saying that this book explains clearly what are crypto money (more globaly cryptoassets), what is blockchain technology, why and how it was created and how it works. I think it can help a lot of people (uninitiated but not only) to understand this universe and what it offers. After, everyone can make his own opinion but at least, everyone will know what he is talking about..
I know, read, read and read again???:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
ETH broke a pretty big support line this week... may retreat back to the 100's.

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
ETH broke a pretty big support line this week... may retreat back to the 100's.
A while back I thought ETH would drop to around .051 in the crypto group.

Here is the chart for reference:
3CgI13xO

Unfortunately I moved away from trading crypto but it would have been a sweet margin short position I had from the Inverse H&S neckline.

VPVR has a strong support level @ .051 and I would expect a bounce at that point.

If BTC is still doing it's whole FUD, i'd expect it to bounce up then dip back down to touch that bottom trendline/bottom of the orderblock.

Also

If you look at BTC and ETH side by side, you can see that ETH lags behind BTC by about 2-3 weeks, but follows the major trends of BTC. I always took BTC as a leading indicator on ETH in terms of price action.

Last edited:

simonn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
240%
Jun 26, 2012
Spain
Wow, I can't believe there are so many afraid kittens in this forum. How you are going through the fastlane if you are so afraid and simply too stupid to see the value to focus and learn about the technology? (Dedicated for those who thinks its scam)

1000 posts and most of them are saying that it's scam or it is too hard for them to understand the thing. How the heck you will understand it if you are like an usual user - you want a simple explanation and still if you don't understand it - you think its a scam. Lol. The same thing happens about complex inventions, some people think it came from aliens!
If you don't understand things you better don't tell your opinion or go and study it until you will fully understand it.

Cryptocurrencies will not go anywhere. Bitcoin may pop, other coins may too, but the crypto technology will remain and will make huge impact in our future. If you have learned how it works and if you understand what we can do with it, what banks, governments and big corps are already doing with it, you will definitely understand that it's unavoidable and big part of our future.

You say that it's worthless? What about the papers like dollars? Is it worth it something? Yes until it's used. It's the same about blockchain, but since we are coming to VR age and we already are using shitloads of digital payment systems, cryptocoins will help us a lot and that's why most of them will remain having the value.

People are too stupid to understand that's why there are still so many ups and downs in crypto market. I highly believe coin market will grow a lot in future as so as the amount of different cryptocoins. It's already very easy to create one! I don't know C++ coding at all, but I can create you a coin in 5 minutes. Imagine what we can expect in future.

So in sum

If you want to make money from tech, learn about it.

Never tell your negative opinion if you dont know about things - this can make people think negative about the thing too.

If you are interested to make money from a new technology, take time to understand it and if you will not understand it - entire technology thing is not for you. Go back to sales business.

Some coins may go down some may go up. There are a lot of factors, but in any case blockchain tech will remain and you will be always available to create a new one.

If coin is rapidly growing it doesnt mean you should buy it to get in the train. You can only invest the money you can loose. Even big and most trusted companies fails and share holders loose money. this is a new technology, its a currency, it's decentrelized and it can be created by anyone. So make deep research before investing in it and if you are too weak to do this, please don't tell everyone else that it's a scam.

By the way, don't forget that every new thing that smart ppl snd bizs have profited from wasn't easy to understand and didn't look trustful for many. Look at you now, you are late to those trains, but blockchain train is still happening.

Good luck, be smart about it!

Last edited:

jovun1982

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 5, 2018
gulfport, ms
Funny, I just watched that video literally 1 minute ago. Still not sure what it means in plain terms. So now I'm watching this video:

View: https://youtu.be/TDGq4aeevgY

ETH seems like a good idea. I'm reading articles on it too. I want to keep researching and get a full understanding. That may sound naive but I want to learn it.

Lol! It is complicated by I’m invested as well

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

theresgot2bemore

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Sep 20, 2016
Anywhere w/freedom
From what I've been reading this stuff is one heck of a money source but comes with its own problems at the moment. The biggest one is the intrusion of devices since this is still a little like the early days of the internet.

I'm definetly looking into getting into this but definetly would need some serious reading up to avoid some of the horror stories out there on the blockchain forums.

StevieB

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
269%
Jan 23, 2016
People will make some money off these technologies, and a lot of people will lose a lot of money to. Seems the market has gone down 50% since it's peak. Feel sorry for those who heavily invested later on because they'd have lost a ton of money at this point.

The main reason it won't become more mainstream is because it doesn't solve any real problem for the large majority of the population. We already have ton's of different currencies, adding another one just doesn't fill any need. It may be useful in specific situations but it's certainly not going to replace cash or credit cards for the majority of transactions.

This is one of those "look at this awesome 3d TV it's going to change everything!" or "look at this VR headset everyone will have one" technologies. People already traditional currencies, so why do I need this one? What advantage does it give the average Joe who want's to buy a TV? None. Sure for some businesses who are savvy enough to leverage it's contracts might buy into it. But even companies that could use it, they'd have to have the know how and someone high up enough thats knows about it with enough desire to change.

There's tons of companies out there that could benefit from a lot of different types of technologies, but changing from traditional ways comes very slow and sometimes never if what they are currently doing is working well.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Oct 26, 2012
People will make some money off these technologies, and a lot of people will lose a lot of money to. Seems the market has gone down 50% since it's peak. Feel sorry for those who heavily invested later on because they'd have lost a ton of money at this point.

The main reason it won't become more mainstream is because it doesn't solve any real problem for the large majority of the population. We already have ton's of different currencies, adding another one just doesn't fill any need. It may be useful in specific situations but it's certainly not going to replace cash or credit cards for the majority of transactions.

This is one of those "look at this awesome 3d TV it's going to change everything!" or "look at this VR headset everyone will have one" technologies. People already traditional currencies, so why do I need this one? What advantage does it give the average Joe who want's to buy a TV? None. Sure for some businesses who are savvy enough to leverage it's contracts might buy into it. But even companies that could use it, they'd have to have the know how and someone high up enough thats knows about it with enough desire to change.

There's tons of companies out there that could benefit from a lot of different types of technologies, but changing from traditional ways comes very slow and sometimes never if what they are currently doing is working well.

Generalizations are inherently stupid.

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
I really never believed in anything but Bitcoin. So many people swore to me that Lite and Eth where going to be huge and I just didn't buy it.. I'm really glad I didn't. I did buy a couple thousand in Bitcoin and still think it's gonna go up.

TinyTim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
May 1, 2016
The World

Those that don't adapt will get left behind. Some of the biggest companies in the world, in multiply industries, have signed up to use public blockchain technology. Automobile, auditing, wine, supply-chain, postal, healthcare, etc..

The technology doesn't need to replace cash or credit - it has 100s of other use-cases. Most of the benefits will go to the companies, but these benefits will be felt by the whole population as result.

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
Is there someone who is mining at home? I've read that combining 6 video card into a system which costs around 3K usd, you will be able to mine ETH with a value around 600 usd per month. Is someone doing it? It is worth doing it?

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I was browsing around at mining profitability a few days ago. Looks like the cost of equipment dropped about the same percentages as current prices... mostly same time of break-even.

I personally think that crypto still has one more leg down before; I might get into mining right at the bottom of prices, etc.

DrWumbo

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Sep 22, 2016

The name cryptocurrency is misleading to most people. Most Crypto's are NOT "currency replacements". The majority of crypto's are trying to utilize DLT/blockchain to create new solutions to problems. For example, Mastercard/Visa could still live on, while utilizing DLT solutions. This could make their transactions more secure, faster, cheaper, and more private for the user.

This is a great video for everyone to watch, which explains crypto's in a easy manner and what potential they have.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01YFmJYc4Y4

Edwin Fernandez

Freedom
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Feb 7, 2018
Hey y'all, I saw this pertinent article about Radix, Radix and the Death of Blockchain – Hacker Noon
It's an alternative approach to decentralized systems, i.e. not blockchain.

Supposedly, they solved the transactions per second bottleneck that holds blockchain back from mass adoption. Some pretty heavy technical stuff but worth looking into.

One thing that struck me about these guys at Radix, there will be no ICO..
Radix Developer Portal

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW8nWeUnkK0

You definitely might want to keep an eye on Radix, I know I'll be doing so.

Johnny Bravo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 20, 2018
US
Hey y'all, I saw this pertinent article about Radix, Radix and the Death of Blockchain – Hacker Noon
It's an alternative approach to decentralized systems, i.e. not blockchain.

Supposedly, they solved the transactions per second bottleneck that holds blockchain back from mass adoption. Some pretty heavy technical stuff but worth looking into.

One thing that struck me about these guys at Radix, there will be no ICO..
Radix Developer Portal

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW8nWeUnkK0

You definitely might want to keep an eye on Radix, I know I'll be doing so.

Radix is a pretty neat project for a number of reasons. I agree with Dan Hughes (the founder) with respect to his assessment of the limitations inherent in blockchain technology. He certainly takes a novel approach with the "Tempo" construct. However, I have to wonder if he has sacrificed immutability for speed.

They recently held a hack-a-thon so it would be interesting to see what comes from it. Of course, I doubt they will release the results. The problem as I see it is that the localized shard is the only source of validation for transactions. Theoretically, it should not be terribly difficult to control enough nodes to allow for manipulation (i.e. double spending). Especially since the hardware requirements are so minimal.

That said, they've got a pretty good project going. It'll be a boon to the market overall.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Rivoli

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jun 4, 2018
Orange County, California
That list is too long just the currencies listed in THIS thread - I skimmed through it - all these ZEC and coins are losers. They will be $0 in 3 years. That bet I will put up funds for.

How did you predict this? Are you trolling or do you actually not know details about crypto? That this post was on Jan 17 is pretty interesting

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
How did you predict this? Are you trolling or do you actually not know details about crypto? That this post was on Jan 17 is pretty interesting
He just wasn't blind by the hype.

Those tokens/coins never had any intrinsic value.

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Mar 5, 2016
USA
Lol @ this thread. It isn't even 2 years old yet and literally 99% of the posts are before the SHTF in the markets earlier this year. "Web 3.0" remains to be proven.

Meanwhile, the BTC Lightning network stands to be the most successful solution to the problems faced by the technology, even though it completely compromises everything that made it a unique proposition in the first place... namely decentralization.

What are everyone's thoughts on ETH today? Or crypto tech in general?

I'm not sure it's going to be web 3.0 as many in this thread seemed to think.

Just goes to show you must actually create value to grow your wealth - you can't just try to cash in on bubbles, or you might lose your a$$.

The sad story of that family who liquidated their family home and invested their life savings into crypto hoping to cash out... and then the crash happened. Feel bad for those kids.

Last edited:

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Lol @ this thread. It isn't even 2 years old yet and literally 99% of the posts are before the SHTF in the markets earlier this year. "Web 3.0" remains to be proven.

Meanwhile, the BTC Lightning network stands to be the most successful solution to the problems faced by the technology, even though it completely compromises everything that made it a unique proposition in the first place... namely decentralization.

What are everyone's thoughts on ETH today? Or crypto tech in general?

I'm not sure it's going to be web 3.0 as many in this thread seemed to think.

Just goes to show you must actually create value to grow your wealth - you can't just try to cash in on bubbles, or you might lose your a$$.

The sad story of that family who liquidated their family home and invested their life savings into crypto hoping to cash out... and then the crash happened. Feel bad for those kids.

There is some great tech developments happening in the crypto space now.

I am very optimistic on the future of this technology, the price at the moment does not change that fact what so ever.

This is another crypto cycle that is rinsing and repeating like it has before, this is nothing new it is a volatile market and always has been.

In regards to ethereum itself I am not sure and can't make a strong argument in regards to eth being web 3.0, other projects I have done extensive research on are mooners lol jokes. This space will provide some great developments and innovation in the future.

The sad story of the family is basically them being idiots and having a lack of common sense. But yeh bad for the kids it's terrible.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Wow, I can't believe there are so many afraid kittens in this forum. How you are going through the fastlane if you are so afraid and simply too stupid to see the value to focus and learn about the technology? (Dedicated for those who thinks its scam)

1000 posts and most of them are saying that it's scam or it is too hard for them to understand the thing. How the heck you will understand it if you are like an usual user - you want a simple explanation and still if you don't understand it - you think its a scam. Lol. The same thing happens about complex inventions, some people think it came from aliens!
If you don't understand things you better don't tell your opinion or go and study it until you will fully understand it.

Cryptocurrencies will not go anywhere. Bitcoin may pop, other coins may too, but the crypto technology will remain and will make huge impact in our future. If you have learned how it works and if you understand what we can do with it, what banks, governments and big corps are already doing with it, you will definitely understand that it's unavoidable and big part of our future.

You say that it's worthless? What about the papers like dollars? Is it worth it something? Yes until it's used. It's the same about blockchain, but since we are coming to VR age and we already are using sh*tloads of digital payment systems, cryptocoins will help us a lot and that's why most of them will remain having the value.

People are too stupid to understand that's why there are still so many ups and downs in crypto market. I highly believe coin market will grow a lot in future as so as the amount of different cryptocoins. It's already very easy to create one! I don't know C++ coding at all, but I can create you a coin in 5 minutes. Imagine what we can expect in future.

So in sum

If you want to make money from tech, learn about it.

Never tell your negative opinion if you dont know about things - this can make people think negative about the thing too.

If you are interested to make money from a new technology, take time to understand it and if you will not understand it - entire technology thing is not for you. Go back to sales business.

Some coins may go down some may go up. There are a lot of factors, but in any case blockchain tech will remain and you will be always available to create a new one.

If coin is rapidly growing it doesnt mean you should buy it to get in the train. You can only invest the money you can loose. Even big and most trusted companies fails and share holders loose money. this is a new technology, its a currency, it's decentrelized and it can be created by anyone. So make deep research before investing in it and if you are too weak to do this, please don't tell everyone else that it's a scam.

By the way, don't forget that every new thing that smart ppl snd bizs have profited from wasn't easy to understand and didn't look trustful for many. Look at you now, you are late to those trains, but blockchain train is still happening.

Good luck, be smart about it!
Rep ++!+!!;!!;;++++

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This thread is re-open with all the recent extraneous content removed as it was not conducive to either party.

D

Deleted2BB3x9

What are everyone's thoughts on TRON compared to Ethereum?

Ethereum is already well established in the market and holds the majority share for smart contracts. I think it's like 80% of dApps are built on Ethereum. But when ETH price goes up too high so do the fees. To make ETH fees sustainable they are going to implement ETH 2.0.

TRON has a cheap fee and fast transfers but I heard some of their business practices are shady. Such as plagiarism in their whitepaper.

I would like to know more about what people know as I would like to keep informed on this new technology.

I am developing a business in cryptocurrency and I will support Tron and Ethereum but I don't know that much about it. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
What are everyone's thoughts on TRON compared to Ethereum?

Ethereum is already well established in the market and holds the majority share for smart contracts. I think it's like 80% of dApps are built on Ethereum. But when ETH price goes up too high so do the fees. To make ETH fees sustainable they are going to implement ETH 2.0.

TRON has a cheap fee and fast transfers but I heard some of their business practices are shady. Such as plagiarism in their whitepaper.

I would like to know more about what people know as I would like to keep informed on this new technology.

I am developing a business in cryptocurrency and I will support Tron and Ethereum but I don't know that much about it. Looking forward to hearing what people have to say.

Isn't TRON pretty much a scam?

Justin Sun is a shyster, IMO, and I wouldn't trust him or the project with someone else's money, let alone my own money and time.

ETH has staying power, and is powering the most massively impactful advancements in the crypto space (like Uniswap). ETH is about to break out again once DeFi really takes off, and you can trade and swap tokens without any KYC, government oversight or centralized entities (like Coinbase).

All of that is going to be powered by ETH, probably on Uniswap.

IMO TRON is garbage compared to ETH. Just one man's opinion

AidenRafi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
Isn't TRON pretty much a scam?

Justin Sun is a shyster, IMO, and I wouldn't trust him or the project with someone else's money, let alone my own money and time.

ETH has staying power, and is powering the most massively impactful advancements in the crypto space (like Uniswap). ETH is about to break out again once DeFi really takes off, and you can trade and swap tokens without any KYC, government oversight or centralized entities (like Coinbase).

All of that is going to be powered by ETH, probably on Uniswap.

IMO TRON is garbage compared to ETH. Just one man's opinion

Can you school me a bit more on DeFI?

I understand its a lending and interest earning platform (built on Etherium) for users who don't want to go through the traditional route.

It is also based around privacy and trust.

Any other important details?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Can you school me a bit more on DeFI?

I understand its a lending and interest earning platform (built on Etherium) for users who don't want to go through the traditional route.

It is also based around privacy and trust.

Any other important details?

DeFi isn't a single platform but a concept. It stands for `Decentralized Finance`.

Bitcoin basically made it possible to make transactions of any size for a relatively small fee, without including any centralized bank. The benefit here is that:

1. You are saving human labor, since you don't need to pay banks to verify transactions anymore.
  2. You don't need to trust banks with your money because, historically, banks haven't been super trustworthy (think back to 2007-2008)
While Bitcoin is great and will always have a place (IMO, will always be the most dominant cryptocurrency), the problem with Bitcoin is that it's on an island.

It doesn't talk to anything.

All you can do is send Bitcoin from one address to another. You can't, for example, run a mortgage on Bitcoin because the technology doesn't support it. If you wanted to lend Bitcoin on a mortgage, you need a centralized entity to make that possible. So the original problem of removing "trusted" centralized entities hasn't been removed.

Ethereum made it possible to have transactions on the blockchain that are more intelligent using "smart contracts".

Here's a contrived example of a smart contract: with Ethereum, you can write a smart contract that you need to pay 1 ETH into a wallet and, when you hit 10 ETH, you will get a transfer of 10 ETH from the wallet you were paying into + 1 ETH from a separate wallet that is paying you a loyalty bonus.

So Ethereum made it possible to have complicated transactions that are totally automated, and wouldn't even need any financial institution involved. Great!

The problem, though, is that Ethereum also lives on an island. These smart contracts can only happen with ETH. In 2017, this was all the rage and everyone was making tons of smart contract based projects (that mostly amounted to nothing, with the exception of Crypto Kitties).

But between 2017 and now, people have been working very hard on allowing for more complicated transactions powered by ETH smart contracts. Here are some of the exciting things currently going on:
  1. LINK and BAND are two projects that allow for ETH to communicate with data off-the chain, and integrate it into on-chain contracts. They basically take ETH smart contracts off of an island. LINK, for example, is already working with the Korean banking system to power financial services like mortgages. It manages all the transactions on-chain, and syncs up the data off-chain with the Korean banking system...all automatically.
  2. Uniswap and SushiSwap (a Uniswap ripoff) have created a way to exchange any two ETH-based crypto assets instantly, for a very small fee, without using any centralized exchange. It relies on people putting their tokens in a liquidity pool. For example, let's say I wanted to trade USDT for ETH, I can use Uniswap to put ETH into the USDT/ETH liquidity pool, and take USDT out (or vice versa). You can also put a matching amount of ETH + USDT into the liquidity pool and earn a percentage of the fees collected. This is how the pool maintains a high liquidity.
There's a lot going on in DeFi right now, and every big entity (like Binance, Coinbase, TRON) are trying to make sure they can associate with it.

The DeFi movement basically means that one day soon, you can get paid in USD, get USDT, and anonymously trade that for any other ETH-based token (including renBTC, ETH, LINK, etc.) and make profits without a single centralized entity or government.

If you have even a slight understanding of the global economic system, that's absolutely earth shattering.

AidenRafi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Mar 1, 2017
Sydney
DeFi isn't a single platform but a concept. It stands for `Decentralized Finance`.

Bitcoin basically made it possible to make transactions of any size for a relatively small fee, without including any centralized bank. The benefit here is that:

1. You are saving human labor, since you don't need to pay banks to verify transactions anymore.
  2. You don't need to trust banks with your money because, historically, banks haven't been super trustworthy (think back to 2007-2008)
While Bitcoin is great and will always have a place (IMO, will always be the most dominant cryptocurrency), the problem with Bitcoin is that it's on an island.

It doesn't talk to anything.

All you can do is send Bitcoin from one address to another. You can't, for example, run a mortgage on Bitcoin because the technology doesn't support it. If you wanted to lend Bitcoin on a mortgage, you need a centralized entity to make that possible. So the original problem of removing "trusted" centralized entities hasn't been removed.

Ethereum made it possible to have transactions on the blockchain that are more intelligent using "smart contracts".

Here's a contrived example of a smart contract: with Ethereum, you can write a smart contract that you need to pay 1 ETH into a wallet and, when you hit 10 ETH, you will get a transfer of 10 ETH from the wallet you were paying into + 1 ETH from a separate wallet that is paying you a loyalty bonus.

So Ethereum made it possible to have complicated transactions that are totally automated, and wouldn't even need any financial institution involved. Great!

The problem, though, is that Ethereum also lives on an island. These smart contracts can only happen with ETH. In 2017, this was all the rage and everyone was making tons of smart contract based projects (that mostly amounted to nothing, with the exception of Crypto Kitties).

But between 2017 and now, people have been working very hard on allowing for more complicated transactions powered by ETH smart contracts. Here are some of the exciting things currently going on:
  1. LINK and BAND are two projects that allow for ETH to communicate with data off-the chain, and integrate it into on-chain contracts. They basically take ETH smart contracts off of an island. LINK, for example, is already working with the Korean banking system to power financial services like mortgages. It manages all the transactions on-chain, and syncs up the data off-chain with the Korean banking system...all automatically.
  2. Uniswap and SushiSwap (a Uniswap ripoff) have created a way to exchange any two ETH-based crypto assets instantly, for a very small fee, without using any centralized exchange. It relies on people putting their tokens in a liquidity pool. For example, let's say I wanted to trade USDT for ETH, I can use Uniswap to put ETH into the USDT/ETH liquidity pool, and take USDT out (or vice versa). You can also put a matching amount of ETH + USDT into the liquidity pool and earn a percentage of the fees collected. This is how the pool maintains a high liquidity.
There's a lot going on in DeFi right now, and every big entity (like Binance, Coinbase, TRON) are trying to make sure they can associate with it.

The DeFi movement basically means that one day soon, you can get paid in USD, get USDT, and anonymously trade that for any other ETH-based token (including renBTC, ETH, LINK, etc.) and make profits without a single centralized entity or government.

If you have even a slight understanding of the global economic system, that's absolutely earth shattering.

That was a great explanation, thank you.

Quick clarification.

The value I am getting by adding liquid to the pool is interest, as it is a loan system, correct?

Another value I am getting is the ability to swap my coin for another coin.

Are these the main two value propositions for adding funds to the pool?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.