The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

A Filmmaker Turned Entrepreneur

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
Hey guys!

Only just recently have I read MJ's books and they have really changed my perspective on finding purpose in life. As the title said however, I was once an indie filmmaker.

As detailed out in MJ's books, I was taught the lie that going to school and getting a degree was the next best step after high school. And since I was a bull headed young kid who didn't listen to reason, and grafted myself to the one thing I felt I was good at. Making movies.

And I found out how much excessive cash the cast and crew made as a result. My mind was filled was greed, and I didn't see that back then. I wanted to live an eccentric life in excess and make movies for millions of dollars a pop.

I was confident I could make something of myself in the industry. And I wasted no time going into film school. The infamous for profit Art Institute, to be exact. And was too afraid of being to far away from home to move out to LA, the capital of the movie business. Boston is where I stayed!

The school solidified this as the right decision to me, as this was around the time there was an attempt to build a so-called "Second Hollywood" on the East Coast. Unfortunately, after 2 years the governor saw no increase in film production. And decided to offer none of his approval for building a studio.

I was devastated. But in denial. "I had stuck it out this far. Might as well finish what I started." I pressed on for another 3 years, until I dropped out.

Unable to find a job that could pay rent and support myself, I had no choice but to go back home to my parents on Cape Cod. The largest retirement home in America, second only to Florida of course!

I held on to my dreams of being in the movie biz, and pressed on to try and tackle screenwriting. Got a miserable job at the local movie theater chain. Only to be fired.

I found a new opportunity at the local AASP (Apple Authorized Supervisor). Meaning a local business that operates under Apples strict rules and supervision. I had spent a solid decade of my life around Apple computers, so I figured I was the right fit.

And the past 3 years had taken a significant toll on me, family deaths, anxiety, the world I love starting to crumble beneath my own feet. It was a wake-up call that was like a right hook from Mike Tyson.

Out of nowhere, and hard hitting.

I wouldn't have called it a "F*ck This" event, though. As for 2 years I was just getting by comfortably living with my parents, making ok money I blissfully spent on trivial things. Hoping to win the lottery, and drinking until passing out on the couch.

Towards the end of my time at the Apple store, I started to reflect on where I was going coming up on my 27th birthday. Watching my parents start to noticeably wither away and wallow in misery over their jobs they've been doing forever, really started to bother me.

I realized after getting halfway through Unscripted , that my purpose was under my nose all along.

I wanted to help my parents retire and live their dreams, and ideally I would like to be right with them doing it.

My motivations up until after I read MJ's books were purely about money, but life and the responsibilities of becoming an adult caught up with me. And I wasn't prepared. Now, however, I realize that what could make me happiest is to see my family live out the rest of their lives comfortably.

No worries about money, or whether to be up at work or not. Ever. Again.

That is my purpose, to share the Fastlane rewards with my family.

TL;DR - I too fell for the SCRIPTED groupthink by following my passion of filmmaking into massive college debt. And it continued until reality slapped me in the face. My primary motivator for filmmaking was money. Now I realize my purpose is to help my parents retire and live the rest of their lives happy living the lifestyle they choose. I hope I can learn a lot and find out where my direction will be on this forum.

Recently I have been looking into "Dropshipping" on Shopify, which I realize is probably a hot topic right now. I bought a course on it and learned a lot. I'm sure the best thing I should do is the opposite of dropshipping.

And it doesn't fall completely in line with "CENTS" as I imagine not using another service like Shopify to help operate would be a lot more work. (Not that I am unwilling to do that work.)

What do you guys think about dropshipping and Shopify? Do you think there is a way to do it on your own without online services? And if so many people are doing it, maybe it would be better to sell to them?

I had thought of the quote "When everyone is digging for gold, sell shovels!". So selling programs, video ad services, copywriting, etc to Shopify dropshippers was an alternative.

And I want to look into coding more, are there any projects you guys would recommend or know of that are good for beginners? Things like HTML, CSS, Python. Any basic project would be cool to tackle.

Thanks for reading, or at least skimming, hope to get to know this forum a little better as the holiday season comes up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Great intro my friend, appreciate the coming out.

If you're just getting started in entrepreneurship, I wouldn't be too concerned about CENTS -- just get your feet wet! Small wins, small profits -- test the waters and get a taste for swinging at the market.

Welcome aboard!

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Welcome. You're going to like it here a lot!

You write brilliantly. I hung on every word. I think your life HAS a movie in it already. And you are such an untethered adventuresome soul, I know this is only the beginning of a fantastic journey.

I have been a film maker since the age of 10 or so. Stop animation 8mm, if you've studied ancient history at all - LOL. Coolest thing ever invented, for its era. I still do films - all solid state, of course. I never thought I'd be able to rival Warner Brothers, but that is possible these days.

I think film is the ULTIMATE way to express yourself, and therefore I would advise you to keep it close to you. You have already come so far.

As for drop shipping, I am working on that myself. I am just starting, so I have no good advice to offer you - BUT I will say that ANY business can be mastered and you can dominate the market place. I have a streak of warrior in my DNA, so I relish studying competition and creating my own way of doing things, based on improving what's already out there.

I have a nephew that DID go to Hollywood and WAS in the film industry. He made great money - but it was start and stop. The lull periods ate up his profits, so he was never able to really get ahead. Nevertheless he did follow his dream, and he was in the middle of the action - so it was an experience that many can only dream of. Don't be hard on yourself - you too have lived the dream. You can always revisit it and do more.

Thanks again for your most interesting introduction. There is a lot here to explore. You won't get bored, and I guarantee you will learn a lot. I think of this place as being similar to Alice in Wonderland. You'll see what I mean as you explore!

civilpro

Contributor
Nov 20, 2018
Denver, CO
I think you are giving up prematurely on filmmaking. That is something you should be proud of! I mean, gosh, that is so hard! Filmmakers have to work with visuals, sounds, storytelling, music, set design, cinematography, editing, photography technicals, the list goes on! Dropshipping is a MASSIVE downgrade! My GOD! I wouldn't even shake their hand if someone told me they were a professional dropshipper. SERIOUSLY! That sounds like something some scumbag in some crappy chicago suburb does.

Go ask a bunch of kindergarteners whether they'd rather be a filmmaker or a dropshipper.

You just need a job and to save a year's worth of livings expenses to pursue your dream as a filmmaker. Or, you should give up your northeastern ways and realize that there is life outside the northeast. I'm guessing you've never left home?

Last edited:

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
That sounds like something some scumbag in some crappy chicago suburb does.

Hey punk boy! You say that like it's bad or something.

From now on that's "MISTER scumbag in some crappy chicago suburb" to YOU!

Seriously - you are dead on the money with your post! You said it the way it should be said!

scum bag.gif

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Costafarian

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Nov 23, 2018
Cape Cod, MA
I think you are giving up prematurely on filmmaking. That is something you should be proud of! I mean, gosh, that is so hard! Filmmakers have to work with visuals, sounds, storytelling, music, set design, cinematography, editing, photography technicals, the list goes on! Dropshipping is a MASSIVE downgrade! My GOD! I wouldn't even shake their hand if someone told me they were a professional dropshipper. SERIOUSLY! That sounds like something some scumbag in some crappy chicago suburb does.

Go ask a bunch of kindergarteners whether they'd rather be a filmmaker or a dropshipper.

You just need a job and to save a year's worth of livings expenses to pursue your dream as a filmmaker. Or, you should give up your northeastern ways and realize that there is life outside the northeast. I'm guessing you've never left home?

I can't say that I've really given up on filmmaking. I've just realized that its a passion that has little impact on how I personally can make a living. I'm living in an age where everyone can be a filmmaker and I don't really stand out.

For the record, I would say dropshipping is just sort of bundled in with the idea of an "entrepreneur". As if I became successful as a dropshipper, I would likely just describe my profession as an "internet entrepreneur" or "internet business owner".

Anybody who can sell themselves really well knows how to make it sound good!

Either way, I would likely want to continue to pursue filmmaking when I have enough expendable income to produce a film on my own.

I'm not moving for the sake of a hobby at this point.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.