The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nominations/Vote: Book Discussion (New Poll Posted!)

For any book discussion

Which book to discuss?

• Never Split The Difference, Chris Voss

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Atomic Habits, Clear

Votes: 61 39.4%
  • Ultimate Sales Machine, Holmes

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • The Slight Edge, Jeff Olson

Votes: 18 11.6%
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea, Burg and Mann

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Just WOW! What a f*cking book. Just finished listening to it. Profound.
I nominated Atomic Habits but honestly I’d be happy with either one of them.

Goggins is a effing tank.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Just WOW! What a f*cking book. Just finished listening to it. Profound.
Started yesterday and so far it has been very good. Already gave a bit more of myself in today´s workout haha

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Couple hours left to vote ... only 3 votes separate the top 2.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Bump, looks like Atomic Habits (Clear) is winning. Maybe I can get him on here for an AMA.
Even if the book doesn't win, that would be a hell of an AMA

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I just finished Can't Hurt Me and man, I don't think I've ever heard a story of a person who had to deal with so many indescribable hardships. I have even more respect for David now - I don't think I'd be able to face and survive all the things he went through. Now I also understand why he's so tough and appears to be a masochist.

I don't necessarily think that all of us should live like he does, but there's a lot you can learn from him - particularly regarding mental resilience (after reading his story, you'll feel stupid complaining about little stuff like some minor business problems).

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
(after reading his story, you'll feel stupid complaining about little stuff like some minor business problems).
Yup, it's always valueable to get some perspective from time to time because 99% of our worries aren't really worth wasting your time about.

BTW taking about process... it took David Goggins 6! years to publish his book. He could have published a book years ago and it would likely have done pretty well but he made sure to make his product as valueable as possible and went to the process... no short cuts...

btw: I have read Atomic Habits and think it's a great read no matter if it gets the most votes. Already have way through Can't Hurt Me and it's fantastic to.

Actually I think Atomic Habits and Can't Hurt Me are great books to read and apply together. One is about consitent small, lasting changes and the other one is about developing maximum willpower and mental thoughness. It's a great combination!
Install valueable small habits that stick and at the same time develop maximum willpower.

Last edited:

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Yup, it's always valueable to get some perspective from time to time because 99% of our worries aren't really worth wasting your time about.

David made me realize how weak our society today is and how important it is for us, entrepreneurs, to get stronger and keep toughening up. People get offended for no reason, worry about insignificant shit, lose their composure when something irritates them a little, or give up just because they faced a tiny obstacle.

If you get good at suffering and pushing through despite immense pain, insurmountable obstacles, and unfairness, then everyday problems won't bother you at all. On the other end of the spectrum, if you stay in your comfort zone, protected from everything that might be unpleasant, then even the tiniest problem will feel like the end of the world.

One of the things I realized thanks to the book is that I'm not pushing myself even 10% as much as I should when it comes to physical fitness, which is one of the best ways to toughen up not only physically, but also mentally. I consider myself fairly fit, but what David does is on another, incomprehensible level. I'm going to change my routine and raise my standards. Time to take some souls.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I just finished Can't Hurt Me and man, I don't think I've ever heard a story of a person who had to deal with so many indescribable hardships. I have even more respect for David now - I don't think I'd be able to face and survive all the things he went through. Now I also understand why he's so tough and appears to be a masochist.

I don't necessarily think that all of us should live like he does, but there's a lot you can learn from him - particularly regarding mental resilience (after reading his story, you'll feel stupid complaining about little stuff like some minor business problems).

I picked up two things from David that has helped me immensely. Running (doing things you hate) & journaling everything.

Journaling was the hardest. I had tried before. So, it took a few weeks. Now, I am remembering everything that has happened to me. Writing it all down. Also writing down what I have done to people as well. I was pretty embarrassed the first few days. I sucked it and charged ahead. I don't think I'll stop journaling.

His second podcast with Rogan is pretty good.

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
David made me realize how weak our society today is and how important it is for us, entrepreneurs, to get stronger and keep toughening up. People get offended for no reason, worry about insignificant sh*t, lose their composure when something irritates them a little, or give up just because they faced a tiny obstacle.

If you get good at suffering and pushing through despite immense pain, insurmountable obstacles, and unfairness, then everyday problems won't bother you at all. On the other end of the spectrum, if you stay in your comfort zone, protected from everything that might be unpleasant, then even the tiniest problem will feel like the end of the world.

One of the things I realized thanks to the book is that I'm not pushing myself even 10% as much as I should when it comes to physical fitness, which is one of the best ways to toughen up not only physically, but also mentally. I consider myself fairly fit, but what David does is on another, incomprehensible level. I'm going to change my routine and raise my standards. Time to take some souls.
Concerning mental thoughness I found the following article to be helpful. Some of the tips are from David Goggins himself:
18 Mental Toughness Tips For When Sh*t Hits the Fan

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
The Ultimate Sales Machine by Chet Holmes
516zvVKyFJL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is a great idea. Excited for the discussion.
I read the book, but I didn't really find it to be too groundbreaking. Might have to reread it or something.

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018
...Would love to discuss them all.

Reminds me...had an awesome Supervisor along the journey, he would read often and actually put things in place by action (Genius!). Then he asked we read a book once a quarter and give a verbal book report in our meetings for discussion/highlight points. Meetings were kept short and sweet, but this thread made me go back in time. #fundip ; )

JunkBoxJoey_JBJ

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 9, 2018

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

It has been the toughest year of business so far for me. So many things have gone wrong, mostly because China. Yet, each big thing that goes wrong, seems a little less big. It affects me emotionally less and less.

A year ago, one big problem, and I wanted to curl up and die.

Now, I've just taken to not being surprised. Expecting that things are going to come at me.

You face a situation, you make a plan. What's the next step?

I'm not pushing myself even 10% as much as I should when it comes to physical fitness, which is one of the best ways to toughen up not only physically, but also mentally.

Right now I'm torn between dedicating another couple years to rock climbing, or to jump into BJJ instead. I have this hunch that martial arts would really help to toughen me up mentally.

SDE

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
518%
Jul 9, 2018
People get offended for no reason, worry about insignificant sh*t, lose their composure when something irritates them a little, or give up just because they faced a tiny obstacle.

In an interview with Tom Bilyeu, Goggins said it is easy nowadays to become GREAT because most people have turned into delicate snowflakes.

How True!

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Now, I've just taken to not being surprised. Expecting that things are going to come at me.

You face a situation, you make a plan. What's the next step?
Ha. Reminds me of my IT days. We’d write a detailed implementation plan, test it multiple times on development systems, then integration systems, then QA systems. The plan would get refined each time.

I’d still be shocked if it worked perfectly when applied to production (live).

Something *always* goes wrong, and we factor that into the expected time to implement. We’d also not be allowed to apply the change without a backup and a fallback plan, no matter how much we’d tested the implementation plan.

(Which is why running a fallback plan or restore from backup was so scary. You can’t test the damn thing on production. “You’re only as good as your last restore” as they say.)

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Right now I'm torn between dedicating another couple years to rock climbing, or to jump into BJJ instead. I have this hunch that martial arts would really help to toughen me up mentally.

Similar problem for me, but it's between rock climbing and surfing. Can't really surf consistently where I live so another issue to consider is traveling often or moving to a place where I could do that.

Anyway, you can do both. Probably not with the same intensity, but you don't need to abandon rock climbing entirely. One session a week should help you maintain your skills and BJJ might even help you improve in rock climbing (and vice versa).

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
BTW taking about process... it took David Goggins 6! years to publish his book. He could have published a book years ago and it would likely have done pretty well but he made sure to make his product as valueable as possible and went to the process... no short cuts...

Well I wish he had gotten a different ghost writer. I've just listened to over an hour of this book while hiking through the forest. I get it, he had a tough childhood, I don't need an hour and 4 chapters of it though.

-

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
Well I wish he had gotten a different ghost writer. I've just listened to over an hour of this book while hiking through the forest. I get it, he had a tough childhood, I don't need an hour and 4 chapters of it though.
If you just want the applicable advice just skim the end of the chapters and read the challenges. That's what I did before reading the book in its entirety.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
If you just want the applicable advice just skim the end of the chapters and read the challenges. That's what I did before reading the book in its entirety.

I only have the audible version.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

-
I listened to the sample on Audible and bailed after a minute.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Goggins wins!

Go get the book -- official thread will start soon!

InspireHD

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Dec 9, 2014
I think I'm going to get in on this. I've heard of Goggins before, but just thought he was some guy who liked to run and make motivational videos. I never knew his story until @luniac posted the Joe Rogan video and watched a couple things about him.

I just ordered the paperback from Amazon. Hardcover is out of stock. I guess free 2-day shipping actually means 3 days now. I should have the book on Wednesday.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@RazorCut and @Andy Black, I found his entire story very valuable because you get to see how he changes and what drives him later on. His later accomplishments wouldn't mean that much without the back story. Granted, I admire the guy a lot, so I could probably read his musings on how to cook potatoes lol.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
@RazorCut and @Andy Black, I found his entire story very valuable because you get to see how he changes and what drives him later on. His later accomplishments wouldn't mean that much without the back story. Granted, I admire the guy a lot, so I could probably read his musings on how to cook potatoes lol.

he probably doesn't even peel the mother******

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

BJJ is worth every penny. Only martial art where you can use every single ounce of power you have against somebody else (not holding back cuz you’re afraid to hurt them) and still be destroyed by their superior strategy. So humbling. It’s not perfect by any means, most guys don’t stretch enough or they don’t cross train correctly.. but if you’re already beast mode in rock climbing I highly recommend it. The two sports go together really well.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Anyway, you can do both. Probably not with the same intensity, but you don't need to abandon rock climbing entirely. One session a week should help you maintain your skills and BJJ might even help you improve in rock climbing (and vice versa).

Yeah, that's a good idea. Just give it a try.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
The two sports go together really well.

Awesome, you've sold me.

A few years of rock climbing have made me a lot more graceful and aware of my body. I can see how this would help, as I'm super lean and don't have a ton of strength.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
I finished it last night. He lays it all out there. His past , his failures, the truth and why we are all soft as shit these days and how to overcome it. I enjoyed it. I loved his honesty and not caring what others think about him, he laid everything on the floor about himself and not many people do that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.