The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lex DeVille's: How to Make $1,000 a Week with no Degree, no Feedback, & no Portfolio.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Thank you so much for this thread and your other threads on this topic Lex, you've provided a lot of value to this forum over the past could of years. Your threads have provided great inspiration to me personally, and I know I likely speak for a lot of people in saying thank you for all you have done.

I am wondering how you would start if you had learned about upwork today and were willing to do anything to make it work?

I know that you have had excellent success with copywriting, not just when you started in 2015 but recently also when you deleted your profile and then created a new one, so there is no doubt that you can still be successful as a copywriter on the platform, but would you be more inclined to look at the upwork skills index for skills that would be learnable and in great demand at the moment?

I've seen mentions of niching down into something more specific if going the copywriting route, is this necessary now?

I'm also wondering whether one would gain from watching your youtube video series on how to get hired in addition to following your 15 day challenge thread? I'm trying to find the all important balance between learning and doing.

Well, it depends on if I have the same skillset or not. If I didn't know shit about writing, I probably wouldn't go that route because I wouldn't make money. Same goes for any other skill. You have to find something you can do well enough to be competent at or else you won't get very far.

Over the last few months Upwork hasn't been accepting copywriters because there's too many on the platform. So you have to get a foot in the door with a different skill. If I didn't have a technical skill I'd probably gravitate toward being a virtual assistant because those who speak English tend to earn minimum $20 per hour.

That's an easy way in the door and a fast way to get to work with top-tier clients who've already built solid businesses. You can learn from their systems and processes while getting paid well enough to support your own Fastlane ideas.

My YouTube videos are completely different from my 15 Days to Freedom thread which specifically focuses on copy. My YouTube has focused more on the freelance side, especially the 4 day course in my signature below.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

freelancedev

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
May 7, 2015
Well, it depends on if I have the same skillset or not. If I didn't know shit about writing, I probably wouldn't go that route because I wouldn't make money. Same goes for any other skill. You have to find something you can do well enough to be competent at or else you won't get very far.

Over the last few months Upwork hasn't been accepting copywriters because there's too many on the platform. So you have to get a foot in the door with a different skill. If I didn't have a technical skill I'd probably gravitate toward being a virtual assistant because those who speak English tend to earn minimum $20 per hour.

That's an easy way in the door and a fast way to get to work with top-tier clients who've already built solid businesses. You can learn from their systems and processes while getting paid well enough to support your own Fastlane ideas.

My YouTube videos are completely different from my 15 Days to Freedom thread which specifically focuses on copy. My YouTube has focused more on the freelance side, especially the 4 day course in my signature below.

Thanks very much for the response Lex.

My concern with copywriting would be whether I would be competent enough to provide real value to a company, although I do have some online marketing and copywriting experience (to a respectable extent with banner ads where I have been able to a/b test conversion rates of headlines), and also some SEO experience.

I am happy to start "from the bottom" providing value to businesses in any way I can (even at $20 per hour that is still a raise on my J.O.B income), but I also don't want to sell myself short due to a lack of confidence. Would you say it is also difficult to get hired as a VA since the barrier to entry is basically nothing?

Would you recommend learning a technical skill to move into after getting some good reviews from being a VA?

I feel like I am probably overthinking the whole thing here quite a bit...

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I feel like I am probably overthinking the whole thing here quite a bit...

This ^

Just get started. Leave the overthinking for how you'll scale whatever you do instead of focusing on all the obstacles you may or may not face down every path.

Five Star

Dean
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 5, 2014
Northern Ireland
Make sense?
Makes perfect Sense Lex ;)

Thanks very much for elaborating. It confirms I'm on the right track but just need to stay focused and be persistent. That's how I've landed my bigger clients in the past - just no $15k per month ones......YET!

Keep adding value.....looks like you've gathered quite the following :fistbump:

freelancedev

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
May 7, 2015
This ^

Just get started. Leave the overthinking for how you'll scale whatever you do instead of focusing on all the obstacles you may or may not face down every path.

Sorry to bother you again Lex, I have spent today watching your four part series on youtube and actually logging into my upwork profile for the first time in a while.

I realised that I have two five star reviews on the platform, one which is $800 billed @ 40$ per hour, and the other which was a fixed rate $20 gig, both of these were SEO related jobs. The thing is, both of these reviews are fake. Rightly or wrongly, around the time that I created my Upwork profile I had worked with a mentor who had advised that the quickest way to get five star reviews was from friends and family.

Obviously this means I have already overcome a big obstacle that many getting started on upwork face, getting accepted for their first job.

I have been considering my options around what sort of area I would be best off concentrating on. Because I already have experience/knowledge in SEO, as well as five star reviews and a profile geared towards SEO, I think SEO COULD be something I could do on upwork.

My main concern with SEO is that it is a complicated beast and has been for years, but now even more so than in 2015 when I created this upwork profile. I have kept up to date with a lot of the changes going on in theory but I do not have a great deal of practical experience with newer SEO practices.

There are jobs on there for SEO that I could competently do, but I am concerned about whether these jobs will translate into clear value for my clients. SEO these days can take months and months to convert into what clients are actually looking for (rankings and consequential sales). There are many things under the SEO umberella (backlinking, on page SEO, keyword research, auditing) and I thought about potentially focusing on one aspect. I'm just worried that none of these skills (although very important parts of the SEO process) will translate into immediate value for potential clients.

I have experience in a broad array of other online marketing domains like facebook ads, PPC etc. and had considered just focusing on adwords. I am really not sure whether to do any of this after finding all this out from logging into my old upwork account or just stick with your advice and apply for VA jobs?

lonewolf28

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Jul 4, 2016
New York
Create Value. It's Not Just A Saying. It's Literal.

I raised my hourly price $10.00 last night. Had an offer when I woke up. The thing is, this is the fourth offer in 2 weeks, and the second I had to turn down. I literally have no more hours to give...

It's not like these people just pick someone and hire. They do a lot of researching, just like buying a car. They have to be sure they can trust you. They have to be sure you're not gonna destroy their business.

They do look at your profile, so it's important to fill it out. But before they look at your education and experience, they read your bio to see if you're even a match.

It's not just about showing value in your cover letter. Your whole profile, in fact, your whole mindset has to reflect it. Clients smell fake from a mile away. This is a big part of why my last few businesses failed.

There's tons of ways to create value. Raising prices creates more perceived value. But, raising prices isn't what it's all about. Even if you get hired because of perceived value... If it's fake, you'll crash and burn.

Perceived value only works when you back it up.

Backing it up only works when you have the right mindset.

Start here:

"I can, and will help people."

That should be your foundation for all contact you have with anyone.

The second part is this:

Show them how you'll do it.

Guys, I have like a 1.0 GPA because I let my grades slip while focusing on business. Lol it's terrible, I know. But you know what. I started helping people, and now I'm overloaded with clients and earning $50.00/hr with 3 weeks of experience...

Pick a Direction - Take Action - Help People - Learn - Repeat.
I was there last year and it was flooded with so called competition. SO i decided to become the boss instead and try to hire on Upwork. Realized...there is no competition. About how many jobs did you apply daily or weekly? I use to do 10 a day, when I wasn't working at all.

Owlman

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Jul 17, 2018
Yep! That's the one. That's the exact email clients trash. It's also the kind of resume / application employers trash.

I looked at the other copywriter's profiles that applied to the same gigs as me. Almost all of them, even the big guys, had profiles talking about their passion for copywriting, and how many years of experience they have. They talk about how they've trained under every guru under the sun, and taken all the top courses, and have a degree in copywriting.

Then I get the job with my 2 weeks of experience and a few notes on Cashvertising...

Man, anyone on this forum should thank god they found it. How can you not make money here? It's literally not possible. You have to do nothing, and never listen to anything to not walk away with something.

Bro this is gold. Am from a third world, my grammar is terrible. But I get a lot of gig and this is how I do it. Seriously I should hate you for shearing this.

baguvix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Sep 9, 2018
Great thread, thanks for a big value. Do you think I could offer copywriting skill if I dont have 100% fluent english skill?

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Great thread, thanks for a big value. Do you think I could offer copywriting skill if I dont have 100% fluent english skill?

Products aren't just sold to English speaking customers. ;)

Phillip Anderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jul 6, 2018
So, if I were to offer SEO but have no experience, would I send a bunch of you-focused applications and if I get (a) clients(s), learn as I go? A commenter on my other post suggested I offer to help existing companies in order to build a portfolio so I can get experience and then get paid, but this thread says you can do so without experience. Is it possible?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Hey @Lex DeVille Would you be able to critique my copy? I have been practicing!

The Fastlane To A Healthy Body!

Consider this.

Your weekly meals prepared by your own personal chef with succulent flavours that are fresh, as well as vacuum sealed to lock in flavours that are out of this world.

Delivered straight to your door every week!

Imagine never needing to do a shop again!

Your fridge will be packed full of nutritious goodness that are crafted to perfection. Never again being tempted by a late night take away order that will ruin your health and fitness goals.

What is the worst that could happen?

For the next week you are able to receive 15 Meals hand crafted for $249….

Yes….

Hand crafted!

Completely customised to your liking!

Did I mention you have your own chef now?

This is a limited time offer available for a select few clients, Click here to buy now!

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
So, if I were to offer SEO but have no experience, would I send a bunch of you-focused applications and if I get (a) clients(s), learn as I go? A commenter on my other post suggested I offer to help existing companies in order to build a portfolio so I can get experience and then get paid, but this thread says you can do so without experience. Is it possible?

No, you wouldn't send "a bunch of you-focused applications" because that isn't how YOU Focus works. See my more recent freelance thread.

If you have no experience it doesn't matter as long as you know the basics of how SEO works and you take action. But even if you didn't know the basics, you could learn them in a day with a $10 Udemy course. Hell, SEO is such a common skill you could learn most of what you need to know for free on Google.

You don't need to build a portfolio first. A portfolio isn't what gets people hired. Clients hire people whom they like, that they feel can get the job done, and when they feel comfortable with that person. Read my other freelance threads. This one is outdated. You'll see numerous examples of people (including myself multiple times) who were able to earn clients with no portfolio or experience.

Yes, it is possible. No, I don't know if it is possible for you. When you take action you'll find out.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
No, you wouldn't send "a bunch of you-focused applications" because that isn't how YOU Focus works. See my more recent freelance thread.

If you have no experience it doesn't matter as long as you know the basics of how SEO works and you take action. But even if you didn't know the basics, you could learn them in a day with a $10 Udemy course. Hell, SEO is such a common skill you could learn most of what you need to know for free on Google.

You don't need to build a portfolio first. A portfolio isn't what gets people hired. Clients hire people whom they like, that they feel can get the job done, and when they feel comfortable with that person. Read my other freelance threads. This one is outdated. You'll see numerous examples of people (including myself multiple times) who were able to earn clients with no portfolio or experience.

Yes, it is possible. No, I don't know if it is possible for you. When you take action you'll find out.
I've always put so much weight on having awesome portfolio pieces, and I do think there's a place for that of course, but when I look to the people that I have hired, it's never ever been because of their portfolio!

edit: I have actually NOT hired people I was very close to hiring though, because their portfolio was terrible.

Lex DeVille

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I've always put so much weight on having awesome portfolio pieces, and I do think there's a place for that of course, but when I look to the people that I have hired, it's never ever been because of their portfolio!

edit: I have actually NOT hired people I was very close to hiring though, because their portfolio was terrible.

Portfolio pieces are important for a number of reasons: SEO, credibility and proof you can do what you say you can do. When I hire graphic designers, or illustrators, or music producers, I absolutely MUST see portfolio examples that align with my vision of what I'm after.

So I'd say it partially depends on the skill you offer, and also partially depends on the level of work you're applying for. For SEO even if you had portfolio pieces they wouldn't really demonstrate your ability to be good at SEO. SEO constantly changes.

For entry-level skills clients are often willing to train the right person (a go-getter who is ready to learn) so they can save a little cash. That's why I don't think portfolios are important in the beginning.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Portfolio pieces are important for a number of reasons: SEO, credibility and proof you can do what you say you can do. When I hire graphic designers, or illustrators, or music producers, I absolutely MUST see portfolio examples that align with my vision of what I'm after.

So I'd say it partially depends on the skill you offer, and also partially depends on the level of work you're applying for. For SEO even if you had portfolio pieces they wouldn't really demonstrate your ability to be good at SEO. SEO constantly changes.

For entry-level skills clients are often willing to train the right person (a go-getter who is ready to learn) so they can save a little cash. That's why I don't think portfolios are important in the beginning.
Yeah true. In my case it was for someone entry level to do some wordpress tasks.

G

Guest24480

Hey @Lex DeVille Would you be able to critique my copy? I have been practicing!

The Fastlane To A Healthy Body!

Consider this.

Your weekly meals prepared by your own personal chef with succulent flavours that are fresh, as well as vacuum sealed to lock in flavours that are out of this world.

Delivered straight to your door every week!

Imagine never needing to do a shop again!

Your fridge will be packed full of nutritious goodness that are crafted to perfection. Never again being tempted by a late night take away order that will ruin your health and fitness goals.

What is the worst that could happen?

For the next week you are able to receive 15 Meals hand crafted for $249….

Yes….

Hand crafted!

Completely customised to your liking!

Did I mention you have your own chef now?

This is a limited time offer available for a select few clients, Click here to buy now!

I'll bite.

You did a good job of outlining some of the benefits of the service, so props for that.

What's missing is an emotional connection with the reader. You're telling them the benefits instead of getting them to imagine just how amazing a meal prep service could be.

I wrote a sample last year for a similar service that I've included below to give you some ideas of what I mean.

---

Take the “Rep” Out of Meal Prep with Deliciously Nutritious Meals Delivered Right to your Doorstep

You’ve almost hit the end of your workout.

Sweat dripping down your face, you wipe yourself down with the bottom half of your t-shirt.

That familiar sound of equipment clanging is drowned out by your heavy breathing. The bittersweet euphoria of adrenaline courses through your veins. All your energy is laser-focused on completing that last set. This is where gains are made, and all the sacrifice and hard work pays off.

Will you succumb to the fatigue?

“ONE LAST REP man! You got this, pump it out!”

You breathe in deeply as the bar free-falls to your chest.

An unintentional grunt escapes your mouth as you begin to propel the weight upwards. You expel every ounce of energy you have left as your spotter cups his hands under the bar, preparing for failure.

For a split second, you consider throwing in the towel. But you continue on, fighting gravity like it’s life or death.

After one last burst of strength, you feel your arms lock out at parallel.

You’ve done it.

The sweet bang of the bar racking confirms your victory.

You relive this moment on the way home, knowing your dedication will compound, leading to massive gains in the future.

Waddling up the steps to your apartment, legs shot from heavy squats, you remember: ‘All this hard work will be for nothing if I don’t hit my macros.’ But man, the last thing on earth you want to do right now is cook up some dry, bland-tasting chicken.

The only thing on your mind is sprawling out on the couch with your feet up. Nothing sounds better than watching Russell Westbrook clock in another triple double.

As you finally summit the staircase, keys spinning on your fingers, you look down to see a package waiting patiently on your doorstep.

What could that be? You don’t recall ordering anything from Amazon recently.

Until it hits you: That meal prep service your buddy at the gym was raving about? You figured you would give it a shot and order a trial run. Now you finally get to test it out and find out what all the hype is about.

You rip apart the package with your bare hands. Waiting for you inside are stacks of sleek, microwave-safe containers, each containing the exact portions you need to hit your macros.

You throw one in the microwave and click the TV on. Two minutes later your meal is piping hot, chicken and veggies steaming as you snap off the lid. The smell rivals Mom’s home cooking. Much nicer than the plain Jane meals you were whipping up before.

Digging in, you scarf down the tender, succulent chicken and the nutritious veggies. To finish it off, you wash it all down with your favorite double chocolate protein shake. You feel satisfied, and finally have the time to kick back and relax.

This is something you could definitely get used to.

poepe

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 19, 2019
Lex here is copywriting and building a great skill for later, where he WILL sell his own shit.

He's already looking at building lead pages and other stuff based on experience he's had in copywriting for a particular niche from an Odesk client which he would never have thought of before.

I remember that 5 year conversation haha

Me "Lex where do you want to be in 5 years time"

Lex "I want a successful ecommerce business or to be a life coach" <--- Thats right I cant remeber 100% Lex?

Me "WTF are you dicking around on this website that is full of sidewalkers and is making no income?"

The rest is history, Lex if you remember the conversation better can you say it more eloquently

Could I have a conversation too?
Might provide the paradigm shift

daftypunk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Mar 29, 2020
Asia
Hahah, that's solid. I'm hiring writers on odesk and here is an applicant's cover letter that I've ignored.

"Hello,
My name is ***********. I have Ben a professional writer and editor for many years. Most of my work has been in writing about religion and Editing technical papers in Computer Science and other fields. I am a natural hopeless romantic and it's been my dream to write romance novels. If hired, I would be very enthusiastic about this project and would contribute my most to it."

Shit, I just realized most of the proposals i sent today were exactly like this. Gotta try Lex's approach.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.