The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Lack of time?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Lack of time..... so why not make more time in a day? Someone might be able to make a dollar or 2 by making a time stretching clock! Have the minute hand work normal so it actually keeps perfect time but make the face of the clock have an extra 5 minutes and then just before the hand gets to the '12', have it go ahead and bypass the extra time you add to the clock. That's an extra 2 hours per day! :cool:
In physics, time is a constant. It's like a never ending line. You cannot add extra time or takeaway time. It only goes forwards. Even if you change your clock. You still have 24 hours in a day. You can bring time closer to you using a wormhole or warpspeed as seen in Star Trek. The movie Interstellar is a perfect example of time dilation.

A time stretching clock just moves the hand. You're still restricted to 24 hours in a day. By moving the hand, you're probably sacrificing time to do something else.

Best thing to do is wake up early and go to sleep late.

Think of time as you have 1000 in the bank and that's it. That's all you can use.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Seth G.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 30, 2018
Tri-State Area
Andy, I'd love to hear you (and other forum members) elaborate on this further.

The impossibility of expanding time seems to me to be one of the biggest challenges that I face.

At the same time, I have an inkling that it's more about mindset than about a literal impossibility.

So here's where I'm coming from, and I would love for someone to point out the flaws in my thinking.

I'm working full time, 40-60 hours a week. I want to divorce my time from my money. But in order to get there, I need to take on a side hustle. And eventually, I want my side hustle to be good enough and reliable enough to make it my main hustle.

So I expand my working hours. Get less sleep. Do whatever it takes. I'm hungry.

And this is the scenario that I see before me as the inevitable path towards making this work...

Let's say that I get client work for 10 hours a week, but it only brings in 25% of what I need to quit the main gig.

Then I raise my rates and I bring on 10 more hours a week, and now I'm bringing in a total of 60% of what I need to quit the main gig.

So I raise my rates again and I bring on 10 more hours a week, and I'm close to where I need to be to quit the full-time job, but not quite. I'm also barely managing to hold it together because I don't function well on lack of sleep.

Fear starts taking center stage. "You're slipping. Your performance is suffering. People are unhappy with your work, and you can't blame them... because after all, you're not doing your best work."

But the counter argument starts, "You don't have a choice. Do or die. Make it happen. You've got to do this. Not sure how it'll work, but I'm going to go for it anyway."

And all of this is directly related to lack of time. Lack of energy. Finite amounts of capacity.

Maybe I'm not thinking creatively enough about this. But all of the ways I can think of to bring in some immediate Monthly Recurring Revenue in the short term are still direct tradeoffs between time and money. They're not fastlane. They're "me-working-extra-hours-but-for-clients-who-keep-me-on-retainer" (and therefore I'm still not leveraging my time any more effectively).

At this point, I'm willing to put in time. Time is all I have. I don't have money yet to pay people so that I can delegate tasks to them so that I can expand my time. If grinding out the time in the short term is the cost I have to pay, I'll pay it. And I'm hoping that down the road I'll be established enough to have additional ways at my disposal to leverage my time more effectively (through creating a scalable business model).

But maybe I'm not seeing something that's available to me NOW that is scalable. Maybe I'm not thinking about this with the right kind of mindset of resourcefulness and creativity that someone else would approach this puzzle with.

What would your thought process look like in tackling something like this? What are some of the questions that you'd ask yourself to identify opportunities? What are the entrepreneurial thinking patterns and mindset traits that people have in common when they're "good at having enough time"?

I have a LOT to learn in this area... any insight would be devoured hungrily!

Hang in there! That's a rough spot to be in but KEEP GOING. I can't say I have all of the challenges you're facing (so take what I say with a grain of salt and your own analysis), but I like to think I'm good at time.

This is long, but I think it's worth it. Bear with me here.

There's an old poster from big union days that goes something like:

8 Hours for Work
8 Hours for Play
8 Hours for Rest

Now, it can be viewed as 'scripted hogwash' and to a degree that's true. But let's think about that for a moment and specifically how it can be leveraged.

8 Hours for Work... if you're working a full-time job there is no easy way around this (yet). Call it 9 after commuting.

8 Hours for Rest... very dependent on who you are. I'd say I've only met a handful of people in my life who can legitimately function at a high level for a long time on 5 or fewer hours of sleep. But 6, 6.5, or 7 hours of actual sleep can happen. Let's call it 8 hours when you count falling asleep and the waking up/making coffee process.

You're down to 7 hours to 'squeeze' everything else in. What else 'needs' to be squeezed in here?
  • Your Business (...)
  • Your Leisure (Friends, Family, etc)
  • Your Education (Books, Podcasts, etc)
  • Your Health (Meditation/Exercise)
Seems a little daunting to stuff all of that into your last 7 hours because it is. In fact, it's almost unreasonable to think that you can. So, what can you do?

Here are some things I've found to be useful also working a 40-60 hour week (up to 70+ after you factor commuting). Do I do it perfectly every time? No. But I'm sure as hell trying.
  1. Kill Your 'Dead Time'
    • Bring a journal and development book/audiobook (marketing, sales, strategy, mindset, etc etc) everywhere
    • Waiting in line/doctor's offices/toilet time/brushing your teeth are time sinks. But they are dead time. Read or listen to that audiobook OR work on whatever comes to mind with your business.

• I love my 2 hours a day public transport commute to work. It's the best part of my job right now (wtf, really Seth?). Yeah really.

I get 2 hours a day to listen to audiobooks, read, or work on business stuff by way of hotspots, pencils/paper, and public transportation. Don't take public transpo? Fine. Stop listening to music on your commute and start listening to audiobooks to educate yourself. Fit education or some business work here. Alternatively, listen to comedy or music and turn this into your leisure.

Time commuting can be seen as 'fuuuuu*k I'm going to work' or as 'sweet, I get to listen to that new album and write and effectively get paid to do it'
  2. Supercharge Exercise & Chores
    • Audiobooks, podcasts, inspirational stuff, whatever. Learn while you're working and doing the menial that we all need to. Dishes, clothes, weights... this is time you can listen to stuff. Have a journal close on hand so if you have an idea or something to hang onto, you can jot it down real quick.

For me, doing this has made my every boring chore a lot more enjoyable(?) because I'm learning stuff and coming up with ideas while my body does autonomous things.
  3. [Contentious] Stop grocery shopping in person. Grocery shop online if it is available in the area. I know, I know. They charge a small delivery fee and all that jazz. But here's the thing, how much is your time worth? I did the math and I was effectively paying myself sub-minimum wage for the privilege of saving a few bucks not online grocery shopping. Now, I spend the extra 8 or 10 bucks, click 8 buttons in about 5 minutes (as opposed to driving, getting a cart, wandering around a poorly lit store, checking prices, standing in line, checking out, loading my car, driving home, unloading, and finally getting back to my time). My groceries are delivered in a few hours and it's awesome. And all the time I would have killed shopping, I can justifiably play a game, exercise, get laid, or whatever else I want for leisure/education/business.

4. Limit yourself to 40 hours of work a week. Again, you might have to do this slowly because of bad habits that you've developed for yourself and bad expectations your bosses are having. Read 4 Hour Work Week as it gives some ideas for how to converse with bosses into wasting less time at work.

Seriously. Every hour you spend over 40 hours working for someone else is an hour of your life you are effectively giving away for free to someone else for no additional benefit whatsoever. It may feel like you sometimes have 'too much work' but that's an illusion your trapped brain is telling you. Come 8 hours, come 40 hours, you are done. Period. No exceptions. This will give you two things:

First - you'll get back hours and hours of your time
    Second - you'll be more efficient at work and easily fit all of the b.s. into 40 hours. I'm convinced a 30~35 hour work week would be more than sufficient in almost any salaried job these days...

5. Do not neglect yourself as a habit
    (physically, mentally, emotionally)
  • Need a solid 8 hours of sleep? Get it.
  • Eating like shit? Stop it.
  • Never exercising? Get off your a$$.
  • Never tried meditation/mindfulness? Download the app Insight Timer (10K+ free guided meditations from hundreds of teachers all over the world)

Your vehicle (you, your brain, your body) is a vital piece of the equation. Yes, we've all had uber long days with no sleep and we all will have them. But they should be a welcome exception and not a rule, your business can't get started without you being able bodied/minded. And beyond that, how the F*ck could you enjoy yourself if you're 2/3 dead by the time you get there (if you ever do at the rate you're going).
Tools and Useful Shit
  1. Physical Journal + Mechanical Pencil
    • Seriously, you can work on business stuff/ideas anywhere. Or just vent. It doubles as leisure.

2. Audio Books
    • In our vein of killing dead time. Stay educated. Educate your higher brain while your lower brain works the monotony (chores, shitting, etc)

3. Insight Timer Phone App
    • Meditation/Mindfulness. Anyone who hasn't gone down that route or has given up or who claims it doesn't work for them is cutting their feet off and bragging about the lost weight. Not learning mindfulness/meditation is as idiotic a move as not exercising. You hurt yourself.

• This app is free and has 10,000+ meditations on every topic with filters on length and content and subject from hundreds of different guides. Have 5 minutes? perfect chunk for meditating. Want your chakras aligned? There's one for that. Don't want any chakra or chi crap? Great, there are purely secular ones too.

4. StayFocusd Chrome Extension
    • Waste too much time on Reddit, Facebook, or even this forum (sorry @MJ DeMarco)? There's an app for that. It'll block you from those sites after a time you specify for a duration you specify. Great way to stay focused.

5. Jefit Phone App or FitnessBlender Youtube
    • Exercise is to the body as meditation is to the mind. Not sure where to begin? No gym membership and no equipment? No problem! These give you exercises, routines, and the whole shebang and can be done anywhere. No membership, no equipment required necessarily. And they are free.

6. Loop Habit Tracker [Android... maybe iPhone?]
    • Great way to track and check off habits. Mine are: Meditate, Exercise, Write, Learn, and Build
That was long. I hope at least one thing in there you find useful. The only other thing I'd say is ease into the changes. You can try cold turkey, but that many habit changes are hard to track. Good luck sir - keep going.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
TOUCH IT ONCE

You take a sip of your morning coffee and open the most important looking of the stack of letters on your desk.

(This is the stack you think need actioned. The stack to read are in a different pile, in the study. We’ll go through this step later because it’s super important to FILTER so you’re not consuming when you’re supposed to be producing.)

You pull the letter out of the envelope and scan the page quickly. Do you:
  • Dump it?
  • Delegate it?
  • Defer it?
  • Do it there and then?

You want to touch that piece of paper as few times as possible, ideally once.

Does it really need to be done? (I still think this is the most important question.)

If it escapes the bin, then is it super short to action? (Like shorter than the act of delegating it or adding it to your calendar for a later date?)

If it’s super short to do then consider doing it there and then.

If you’re going to delegate it, consider delegating it there and then.

Ideally delegate it with enough info that it doesn’t come back to you for you to touch again.

If you’re going to defer it, put it into your calendar there and then, with all the info you need for when you’ll properly study it (I’ll often just link to wherever the info is). Put it out of your mind until it pops up in your calendar. (This helps to not feel overwhelmed too.)

DON’T put it onto a growing stack of letters that you’ll pick up every morning to figure out if you need to dump it, delegate it, defer it, or do it.

You don’t want to touch that piece of paper every single day till you end up actioning it.

It won’t apply to every piece of paper that comes across your desk, but it’s helpful to try and “touch it once”.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Two things that might help you @Bekit :
  • Think backwards. What are you doing now that is preventing you from achieving what you want? If your aim is to dissociate your earnings from your inputs, what actions are you taking now that are preventing you from achieving that.

• Do a time audit. We all have 96 blocks of 15 min.
    • How are you spending yours? (not how do you think you are spending). You can do it for four weeks let's say. The toggl app is handy for that
    • Once you have a clear picture, how can you improve how you spend it.
Keep it up.

Act, assess and adjust.

And focus on systems.

ItsAJackal

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Oct 16, 2018
WOW! This thread is exactly what I needed. I found myself saying "I don't have time" this morning and then realized how much time I've wasted in the past couple of days.

I'm close to taking action on my first venture but I'm still terrified of failing. I'm standing on the high dive at the pool, and I know I've got to jump to make progess but damn it's high!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
WOW! This thread is exactly what I needed. I found myself saying "I don't have time" this morning and then realized how much time I've wasted in the past couple of days.

I'm close to taking action on my first venture but I'm still terrified of failing. I'm standing on the high dive at the pool, and I know I've got to jump to make progess but damn it's high!
Hmmm. What does failing even mean?

You try something. It doesn’t work. You try a different way. Repeat till it works.

Failure shows us the way by showing us what’s not the way.

Seth G.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 30, 2018
Tri-State Area

Just go for it. Just go for something, anything you can do right now (as long as it moves the needle).

Do whatever little thing you can do right now. There's this concept of an internal flywheel.

Accomplish a small thing... it'll give you some spiritual momentum for the next thing... and so on.

Your'e in the right place. The people on this forum reward and admire action. Everyone knows it seems scary, daunting, and difficult. That's why everyone is also stoked when someone takes a leap.

Seth G.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 30, 2018
Tri-State Area
TOUCH IT ONCE

You take a sip of your morning coffee and open the most important looking of the stack of letters on your desk.

(This is the stack you think need actioned. The stack to read are in a different pile, in the study. We’ll go through this step later because it’s super important to FILTER so you’re not consuming when you’re supposed to be producing.)

You pull the letter out of the envelope and scan the page quickly. Do you:
  • Dump it?
  • Delegate it?
  • Defer it?
  • Do it there and then?

You want to touch that piece of paper as few times as possible, ideally once.

Does it really need to be done? (I still think this is the most important question.)

If it escapes the bin, then is it super short to action? (Like shorter than the act of delegating it or adding it to your calendar for a later date?)

If it’s super short to do then consider doing it there and then.

If you’re going to delegate it, consider delegating it there and then.

Ideally delegate it with enough info that it doesn’t come back to you for you to touch again.

If you’re going to defer it, put it into your calendar there and then, with all the info you need for when you’ll properly study it (I’ll often just link to wherever the info is). Put it out of your mind until it pops up in your calendar. (This helps to not feel overwhelmed too.)

DON’T put it onto a growing stack of letters that you’ll pick up every morning to figure out if you need to dump it, delegate it, defer it, or do it.

You don’t want to touch that piece of paper every single day till you end up actioning it.

It won’t apply to every piece of paper that comes across your desk, but it’s helpful to try and “touch it once”.

This also applies to emails I think too.

Fassina

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
114%
Nov 13, 2018
Brazil
Install a time tracker on your computer.. I'm using rescuetime. It will show you the truth, and make sure you tag this forum as entertainment. Being here can be very valuable, but most of the time we're just hanging out.

Read checklist manifesto (HIGH priority).

You don't NEED to earn the same amount of more than your job on your side biz to quit your job, that's silly.
You need enough to pay your bills, if your bills are as high as your current income, I'm sorry to tell you but you fcked up. Fix that.

There's this author and AI researcher I like Eliezer Yudkowsky, he says 99% of personal problems can be fixed with 5 minutes of thinking. Most people can't even do that, think for 5 minutes focus on it, grab a piece of paper and a pen and think. The solution is there, you can come up with it.
PS. you might not like the answers you get, solutions have no obligation of being convenient or easy. Deal with it.

At some point in your life you need to learn to get the answers from yourself instead of from other people. Stop looking for other people for answers, you don't NEED a guru, or mentor, or guide, those are nice and can save you time but you don't NEED them.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Procrastination and Perfectionism are close cousins

One delays starting. The other delays finishing. Both are normally caused by a fear of engaging the market.

Use the urge to procrastinate or perfectionate (I just made up a word) to get things done. The reptile part of your brain fears change. It's smarter than you and knows what you're about to do will result in change. It therefore throws up the urge to procrastinate or perfectionate. Use that as a signal that what you were about to do is important. Your reptile brain told you so.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
What does failing even mean?
Taking a risk and suffering losses when it doesn't go your way.

Contrary to the "fail forward" narrative of the start-your-own-business space, it is possible for attempting a business play and failing to result in negative and irreversible life-changing effects. This should always be factored in: don't risk what you can't afford to lose.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
I’m in a group of folks trying to build subscription businesses related to renting out websites.

Someone asked what their biggest problem was and it had 54 comments.

I went through them all and was shocked to read most people said their biggest problem was lack of time.

Here was my reply:

I’m genuinely surprised so many people said “time”.

Do you have paying clients? Can you get them to pay for the builds?

I have a full-time freelance developer. I get clients to pay me to pay him to build their landing pages. I’m effectively getting clients to pay for my developer to build our processes, technology, and IP.

I don’t have a self-serve platform yet. I don’t even sell our landing pages from a landing page.

Are you sure you need all the things you think you need?

There’s a phrase I like that has a lot of truth in it: “Sales solve everything.”

Can you sell more websites or landing pages and use that revenue to pay others to do some of that stuff you shouldn’t be doing, or don’t have time for?

It’s often less about the resources you have and more about being resourceful.
Thanks, great post

Time is relative, you can't control it, we all get 24h/7days whether you like it or not
You can control your actions - your priorities and your focus based on x number of variables (obligations, energy levels, need to eat, sleep, ambitions, goals, dreams, needs, pains, wishes, family, friends, etc.)

As Tamara from Calm quotes some guru - "Have serenity with things you can't control, the courage to take action on things you can and the wisdom to know them apart"

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks, great post

Time is relative, you can't control it, we all get 24h/7days whether you like it or not
You can control your actions - your priorities and your focus based on x number of variables (obligations, energy levels, need to eat, sleep, ambitions, goals, dreams, needs, pains, wishes, family, friends, etc.)

As Tamara from Calm quotes some guru - "Have serenity with things you can't control, the courage to take action on things you can and the wisdom to know them apart"
Ah yes. The “serenity prayer”. I don’t know who wrote it, but it’s a good one.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Use the Chet Holmes 1 hour method. Schedule 1 hour each week to work on your most important task / business / etc. Do not let anything deter you or shift your focus from that one item. Once you see the effectiveness of 'just moving the damn ball', you will begin to put in 3 or 4 of these hours a week. Then a day. Make your first hour 'setting a schedule for my other hours' and to study the method. Then make your second hour 'what the hell should i do for these hours' and set some priorities. Schedule it now.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
It always amazes me that people are willing to work their hardest to hit a deadline imposed by their boss however fail to impose/enforce deadlines on themselves.

superb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Sep 8, 2013
It always amazes me that people are willing to work their hardest to hit a deadline imposed by their boss however fail to impose/enforce deadlines on themselves.
It's much easier to BS ourselves than a boss. And negotiating with ourselves against ourselves can make things more comfortable, at least for the present moment.

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
Andy, I'd love to hear you (and other forum members) elaborate on this further.

The impossibility of expanding time seems to me to be one of the biggest challenges that I face.

I have a LOT to learn in this area... any insight would be devoured hungrily!

@Bekit you're right about the impossibility of expanding time. A lot of people will say "use time more efficiently" and "drop unimportant things" and such. Those are not faulty advice; but once your "time" is already optimized for productivity the advice becomes useless. You can only do so much in a period of time. And you can't "make" time, only reallocate it.

So if you can not change time, what can you change? You can change what you do in that time.

For most people freelancing, and I have been there, you have a bias toward maximizing the amount of money you can charge for a block of time. I want you to try something completely different.

Instead of using a block of time to charge money, use a block of time to create capital. Capital is freedom from labor... it is the gift given to every person in a modern society with strong property rights, if they choose to accept it. Or, bring it about. I'll elaborate on capital below.

So do less: YOUR TIME ---> INVOICE FOR RENTAL OF YOUR TIME

And do more: YOUR TIME ---> YOUR CAPITAL ---> RENTAL OR SALE OF YOUR CAPITAL

Create capital, and trade the use of that capital for money. "But I only made one capital-thing..." No problem, because your time is not tied to the one you are renting out or selling instances of. You can make more.

Without some kind of capital-creation process in your repertoire, you are treating your own life, body and time as your only asset, your only capital so to speak. You need to externalize assets. Use the ones you have already in you, and turn them into things outside yourself.

Here are some examples.

You are a freelance writer specializing in sales letters, web copy, postcards, and brochures. This was me, for a while. Each week, you trade a certain number of hours for money, writing these letters and things. Or, perhaps you bill per item, charging $1,000 for a sales letter. But each letter takes you an amount of time.

Your first step, which you may have naturally started doing, is to optimize your time doing this activity. You create templates for your letters, brochures, etc, so that you can make new ones more quickly. This is actually a capital asset -- you are using a tool in the physical world to "leverage" your labor. To increase its effect with no increase in exertion on your part.

You might also make some stock paragraphs that you one-off and reuse, some questionnaires that you have your clients fill out to save time and increase the likelihood of a sale. These also become your capital.

From here, you have a few directions. If you want to delegate to other people, you can make your letter-writing process simpler and more fool-proof. You make a checklist to ensure that all attributes of each new letter are taken care of... is there a nutgraph about the product, is there an engaging title, does the first line meet the criteria for your "first line of a letter scoring system" and really "pop?"

Or, if you are not keen on the idea of hiring people to implement your system, you can sell copies of the system to DIY customers. In fact, some of those DIY customers will still want to hire you to write the letters, because after seeing your system they understand the depth of your expertise. As a side benefit, they are now willing to pay you more.

Starting as a freelance copywriter, you can end up as a publisher of copywriting templates, checklists and guidelines. In a fairly short period of time, you create this small asset which, if the market actually wants it, makes you money that is decoupled from your continued labor.

You are a teacher. On the side you tutor some students and help them with test prep. Perhaps your state has an asinine math test that pulls tears from children the way a Mississippi dentist pulls teeth (sorry Mississippi dentists, I had to...).

Why are you tutoring? Well, your dream of teaching crashed into the reality that school administrators and parent don't care as much about education as you. They do care about passing tests though, and you can use that to raise money, which you think you will use to eventually "start a business."

What you don't realize is that your brain is performing translations every time you hear certain phrases. Those translations are keeping you working for money, using your time and limited lifespan. When you hear "you need capital to start a business," you automatically translate "capital" to "money." But actually, money is only one form of capital... it is a proxy for goods that serve a particular human need.*

If you can make goods that serve a particular human need, do you need "money" to start a business? No, because you can, with some level of effort, create capital that is more valuable than any amount of money you could save while tutoring students.

So you create the ACBFTFCATQ (or whatever the name of your state's tear-jerker exam is) Quick Sheet and Flashcards. Perhaps you make an online version, or a print version, or an online class, or (d) all of the above. You DM a friend who has done exactly all of this and ask for a printer recommendation, or technology advice, or whatever.

Now, instead of tutoring for $40 per hour, you have tools that do the work for you. Capital. And your students can learn from you without taking up your time. We all win.

You're a carpenter taking side jobs as a handyman. Handywoman? Handylady. Anyway, clearly you are trading time and effort for money. You have some obvious capital, which magnifies the effect of your labor. A hammer, a cordless driver, a painter's knife, brushes, screwdrivers, chisels, bits, buckets.

But those are the commodity type capital. They are "the tools of the trade." You need to make some capital to free yourself from carpentry and handylady work. What to do?

You notice a "hard thing." Paintbrushes are hard to clean. It is hard and unsafe to hang drywall above "x" feet. You've noticed that you use this one trick to accomplish the task, which makes it easier. Perhaps if there were a tool, a product, a system, a process...

That is your task. Not taking on more handylady work, but working on that tool, product, system, process. Create, test, repeat. Use your handylady job as the testing ground for your product, nothing more, because the hourly pay will never free you from hourly pay.

Ok, those were the examples.

I hope that gives you something to work with, even if just a bit. I know I tend to go long when I write here, so thanks for sticking with me to the end :)

*Read anything written by Carl Menger. Your life, and probably the entire world, will improve immediately.

D

Deleted50669

Most people overcomplicate time management. It doesn't have to be a science experiment. As MJ preached; act, assess, adjust. If you follow this pattern rigorously, your need to be strategic with time is taken care of automatically. Identify the problem in front of you, smash it, move on to the next one. If you don't know what problem is in front of you, that is your problem.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.