The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Source Cheap Printing for Your Business

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
First off, let me make it clear, I'm not offering anything for sale in this thread. I am only trying to offer value in the form of advice and resources. If you need additional help, post in the thread or PM me to discuss, but I still will not offer anything for sale. This is a "help only" thread, not a "make money" thread.

After reading a recent progress thread by Scot, I saw that there might be a need for entrepreneurs on this forum to know how to get their printing done more cheaply. Whether it's inserts for your ecommerce product packaging, business cards, flyers, or just avoiding getting ripped off on your promotional materials for a product launch, it's helpful to know how to get printing done cheap.

In one of my previous businesses, I was a printer. No, I didn't own any printing equipment other than my desktop inkjet. Instead, I used what are known as "trade printers" to do my printing for me. That's right, I didn't have to own any equipment in order to fulfill my customers' orders. I was able to sell and provide yard signs, postcards, postcard mailings, restaurant menus, banners, promotional magnets, and other printed items without anything more than a laptop and a credit card. Heck, I don't even know *that* much about printing, just enough to get it done (I'm even color-blind).

So what are trade printers? Trade printers are a little known printing industry secret. They use both the internet and massive efficiencies of scale to offer low-cost high-volume printing or specialty printing capabilities to local print shops, who then re-sell it to their own local customers.

For example, if you want special business cards with a velvet-feel coating on them and a glossy patterned overlay, your local print shop may not have the equipment necessary to get the job done. They'll still take your money, then outsource the job to a trade printer. The trade printer does the work, ships to your printer, and charges them wholesale prices (likely less than 30% of retail price). Your printer keeps the difference between what you paid and what the trade printer charged. And most customers think the whole thing was done by the local print shop.

On the trade printer's end, they can charge the local print shop less because they batch multiple similar jobs together so they all get printed at once, and separated afterward. So, for example, they will group twenty business cards jobs together, run tens of thousands of business cards per hour, and their prices will reflect those massive efficiencies of scale, but you can order in quantities as little as 500 or 1,000. You can thank the internet and technology for this.

You can find trade printers for many different kinds of printing -- just search for "trade printer" and you'll get a ton of results. From flexible magnetic signs that go on the side of a car, to restaurant menus, to political yard signs, to giant 8-foot vinyl banners, almost any of these items can be sourced from a trade printer at massive discounts. There are some specialty printers that only do one thing, but they do it super cheap (e.g. pizza takeout menus). Regardless, most items can be printed by trade printers.

You can even order die-cut print jobs, where the finished product is in a particular shape like a circle or a triangle. Not all, but many trade printers can handle those kinds of jobs. Same thing for labels - many trade printers can produce these in custom shapes.

If you do mailings, you can even use a trade printer to print & mail your postcards. If you do Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM) to promote your business, they do postcards pretty darn cheap.

What's the catch? Well, if you're not a local printer, it can be difficult or impossible to get a trade printer to work with you. They are called trade printers because they print "for the trade", i.e. other print shops. I'll show you how to overcome that hurdle later.

Also, if you aren't familiar with CMYK (4-color) printing, you might get a bad product back from the trade printer. They won't hold your hand on your print job, because they assume you're a printing professional and that you know what you're doing when you submit your files for printing. You can't just send them a JPG image and say you want that on 1,000 postcards...it just won't work.

A good designer will help you out by giving you finished files in a print-ready CMYK format, but you'll still need to know how to submit the files to the trade printer. Many trade printers offer templates to help make the submission process easier, but you'll still need to know what you're doing or you might end up with one side of your flyer or postcard upside down. It's easy to learn, but also easy to make a mistake.

Fortunately, most trade printers (the ones I used) will offer some sort of "soft copy" proof, or a virtual rendering of what your finished product will look like. That makes it much easier to catch layout and orientation mistakes before your product gets printed.

I learned all this stuff after reading a massive 20+ page Warrior Forum thread and buying several courses on the topic of printing and mailing. I won't post the names of the courses or the "guru" here, but if you want to know, just PM me. Keep in mind, you don't need to buy anything to learn this stuff. Just ask me in this thread, and I will answer to the best of my ability. The basics of printing are simple, and for most print jobs, the basics are all you'll really need.

I'll post more later, when I have time. In the meantime, if you have any questions, please reply below and I will try to answer them.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I still have my trade account from my print marketing days, it's amazing how cheap the pricing is compared to retail.

1000 business cards for under $15 delivered, 5000 for $40.

Could be a nice little side gig for anyone if you have a good customer source.

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
I'm interested in hearing more about how to do postcards for EDDM and other types of direct mail.

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
As I mentioned earlier, it can be difficult to get trade printers to work with you if you're not a local print shop. Fortunately, they will also work with what are known as "print brokers" (people who find the best / cheapest print sources for other businesses), as well as marketing agencies. They just want to know they're working with a print professional. If you ever plan to resell printed materials, or if you do your own marketing, you may qualify for a trade printing account (depending on the trade printer's requirements).

In addition to the above, most trade printers will require a sales tax ID number (AKA resale number). My state made it easy to apply online for a sales tax ID number (took just a few minutes). This requirement is because trade printers don't charge sales tax on the printed goods they make for you, since the goods are typically for resale. If you're buying for your own use, you'll need to pay a use tax to your state in most cases.

To save you some time, here are a couple of trade printers that I've used and have provided good service at good prices. They provide a large variety of printed products that an entrepreneur might use:
Check out their signup pages to see their requirements for opening an account.

Many trade printers will send you a sample package if you want to see what their print products look like. If you're shopping for product labels or other items where it's important to see the physical characteristics of the item, this can come in handy. These sample packages are typically cheap or free. Other trade printers will send you a free package after you open an account with them (also free).

Last edited:

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
Are you more interested in learning how to get the postcards printed, or how to use the EDDM system to mail postcards?

Both. In my field direct mail is one of the top marketing tools I can use. I am curious of how to do the whole thing in the most cost effective way.

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
Both. In my field direct mail is one of the top marketing tools I can use. I am curious of how to do the whole thing in the most cost effective way.

If you specify your field, I can provide better information, but I know better than to ask that question :)

First off, here are the two resources that will tell you almost anything you need to know about EDDM:
EDDM User Guide
EDDM Quick Reference Guide

Here's the breakdown on what you'll need to do to get postcards printed:

1) Get an idea of what you want your postcard to do. Have you seen any similar postcards in your field that accomplish your goal?
2) Get a template from your trade printer that's the size you want to send. The size requirements for bulk mail (addressed) vs. EDDM (unaddressed, delivered to Every Door on a particular mailing route) are different. You can send much larger mail pieces via EDDM for much lower prices than you can with addressed mail. For example, you can send a postcard that is 12 inches long and 9 inches wide for 17.7 cents each. That's cheaper than sending a First-Class 4"x6" postcard.

You can find EDDM size requirements here: Every Door Direct Mail and EDDM Retail — Dimensions and Physical Standards for Standard Flat Mailpieces

3) Get your card designed using your printer's template. Give the template to your designer so they know where the indicia (postage markings) and address blocks need to go, as well as the proper orientation (i.e. front / back / inside / outside). Also provide them with the similar postcard from Step 1, if you have it. Make sure your designer has experience with designing for print (CMYK) instead of for web (RGB). If they design with RGB colorspace instead of CMYK colorspace, the colors will look all wrong when they're printed. Also, most printers take 300dpi print-ready PDFs. Make sure that's what your designer gives you.

4) If you're mailing via EDDM, you can do it without a permit by using EDDM Retail. This allows you to send 5,000 pieces per day per ZIP code. You will need to register for EDDM Retail at this website: USPS.com® - Register for an online account

Once you've registered, you will be able to use this website to plan, pay for, and organize your mailings.

If you want to mail more than 5,000 pieces per ZIP code per day, it is cheaper (15.6 cents each), but you will need to get a permit (costs a couple hundred $$ per year) and use a Business Mail Entry Unit. That's beyond the scope of this thread, but there's more information about it in the EDDM User Guide.

5) Get your card printed using your trade printer. Cost will depend on the characteristics of the printed material, including thickness, coatings, and size. Strangely enough, sometimes a larger size postcard can be cheaper than a smaller postcard because it fits more evenly on the original printing stock, and requires less cutting to get it to its final dimensions. Your trade printer will dropship to whatever address you want, without any indication on the outside of the box that it came from them. That's ideal if you're doing printing for other businesses, since they won't have any information to cut out the middleman.

Make sure your mailing piece complies with EDDM regulations, before you have them printed. Thickness and size are the main issues, but you will also need to make sure the layout of the postcard includes the address and indicia where required. Don't waste your money on something the Post Office will not mail.

6) Organize your mailing. Since cards are delivered to every house on a postal route when you use EDDM, you will need to do some sorting for your postal carriers. They offer such cheap rates (17.7 cents each) because you are doing some of their work for them. You will pick your carrier routes (which can be selected based on some simple demographics such as average income or age), pay for your mailing, and then print out carrier route sheets that will need to go on each rubber-banded stack of 50-100 postcards. There will also be a sheet that you print out that says you've paid for your mailing (or you can pay for your mailing at the Post Office when you delivery your postcards to them).

7) Deliver your cards to the Post Office. Once your cards are sorted for delivery, and have a carrier route sheet on each stack, you'll deliver them to the Post Office. They will make sure the postcards comply with EDDM standards (that's why it's so important to use an EDDM template), and then take them for delivery the next day.

Do you want additional information about getting something printed using a trade printer? If so, I can make a video that demonstrates the process.

Any other questions about the above, or any other aspect of printing / mailing, please post in replies.

Last edited:

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
This is great information! I would love to hear more input from people on copywriting, what to use for design, etc. Also, what is the typical rate of contact from using the direct mail? I heard it ranges between 1-3% of people in the route will become customers.

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
This is great information! I would love to hear more input from people on copywriting, what to use for design, etc. Also, what is the typical rate of contact from using the direct mail? I heard it ranges between 1-3% of people in the route will become customers.
I would hazard a guess that it depends on:
  1. Your offer -- a lousy offer won't get any response. Is your offer too good to refuse?
  2. Your targeting -- are you shotgunning your offer out to every house on a route? And if so, is it something that would appeal to everyone on that route (like a homeowner-targeted service such as pressure washing)? Or, are you using a targeted list of people most likely to want what you're offering?
  3. Your copy -- how effectively do you convey what you're offering and why they would want it?
  4. Your timing -- does your mailer hit mailboxes on a holiday weekend when everybody's out of town, so it gets lost in the post-weekend pile of junk mail?
  5. Mailer size -- are you sending out a 4"x6" postcard that's so tiny it gets lost in the pile of mail, or are you sending out a massive 12"x9" postcard?

DustinH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
May 24, 2017
Nashville
How would you go about finding a trade printer in your area?

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
No need to find over in your area. There are several in the United States. Just search for "trade printer", or use one of those I recommended previously. They all take orders via the Internet and drop ship to the location of your choice.

UncommonWay

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
462%
May 9, 2011
Pennsylvania, USA
I actually prefer 4over for postcard printing, especially EDDM. They've got several printing facilities around the USA, so chances are you're within a few days' shipping of any of them.

Pershing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
424%
Jan 25, 2012
Hello,
thank you for the info

Can you please PM me the warrior forum link on the subject? thanks

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.