The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Desire to make courses but not an expert in anything

GaiaGoddess

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Nov 4, 2018
Minnesota
I think virtual assistant work is a good way to position yourself if you're a freelancer. It's better than copywriting in many instances and can create full-time income or even high-ticket income depending on who you work for.

If you link up with high-ticket coaches, they'll pay $3k or more per month for a good virtual assistant who can keep them organized, manage their calendars, set up courses in wordpress or whatever software they use etc.

Later you could create your own courses on how to be a virtual assistant. That would be a cool way to get experience in a lot of different areas while creating value and doing what you want to do.

The only thing is, I don't want to trade my time for money. Otherwise I might as well just get a normal job again. I want to create something that can earn residual income so eventually I can work less and less and still earn money from those things I created. That is why I wanted to create courses (or books, I am open to writing books too but that doesn't utilize my skills like creating a course does.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The only thing is, I don't want to trade my time for money. Otherwise I might as well just get a normal job again. I want to create something that can earn residual income so eventually I can work less and less and still earn money from those things I created. That is why I wanted to create courses (or books, I am open to writing books too but that doesn't utilize my skills like creating a course does.)
If you want recurring revenue then structure it so you have recurring revenue?

GaiaGoddess

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Nov 4, 2018
Minnesota
>> Please go through Lex's thread about Copyrighting once .

Been reading it for half an hour now and i'm not getting the connection with that and with what I wanna do. I don't want to WRITE, or SELL, or CONVINCE people to buy something.

GaiaGoddess

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Nov 4, 2018
Minnesota
If you want recurring revenue then structure it so you have recurring revenue?

By it's very definition though, being a freelancer or independent contractor is not a recurring job, it's a one time job. And to get recurring revenue from it, you have to keep finding one job after another.

GoGetter24

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 8, 2017
Various
I think this could work! Where would be a good place to find these people? Like would I be an independent contractor putting ads on freelance sites?
The structure would be up to you and them negotiating (could be partnerships, could be them owning the course and paying you a fixed fee, could be you owning it and paying them a royalty on sales).
You'd find them by direct outreach, making it clear you've researched what they do and what the benefit for them would be from the joint venture.

MashaN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Sep 24, 2018
Canada, AB
And i know how lucrative online courses are, and it is my goal to make enough money doing this so that I have a passive income coming in and I don't need a normal job. This is the only thing I have found that fits those criteria, with the skills I have.
Perhaps not the best mindset to begin with. 7 billion other people would like the same. Figuring out (specifically) what you can do for a small fraction of that 7 billion would be a better approach that will set you with rewards (aka money) for life.
New skills can be acquired.

GaiaGoddess

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Nov 4, 2018
Minnesota
Perhaps not the best mindset to begin with. 7 billion other people would like the same. Figuring out (specifically) what you can do for a small fraction of that 7 billion would be a better approach that will set you with rewards (aka money) for life.
New skills can be acquired.

I already know what my courses would be about, I'm just ready to find the right platform and I feel that courses is the right one for me because of my passion for the entire process of creating information for teaching purposes. Yes I want to earn money doing it, I'm not saying I'm picking this because it can be lucrative, I'm just saying it's another bonus.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
And now.

For something completely different.

Instead of being an expert in something, MAKE a course for a COMPANY that HAS to teach a topic to their workers. The list in endless. How to use software - how to operate a machine - how to fill out forms.

The benefit to the company is that they don't have to take a valuable employee away from their work to teach new people how to do things. Another great benefit is that your course could be much more structured and effective. How many of us have been trained by someone "in a hurry" - so they gloss over things. That's leaves the trained person in the dark and frustrated. No problem - the training can be ongoing over and over. OR do it right one time, and the first time. Create a test after the training so the comprehension can be measured and recorded. That way, if they forget to turn the power off the acid bath, and somebody is dissolved, they know for a FACT that it was covered in the course - because they HAVE the course to review. If it was "live" training, could they be sure? No, of course not. Here come the OSHA fines and litigation procedures!

Using this approach, you have to be an expert at CREATING courses, which you already are... but you don't have to be an expert on the subject matter.

Restaurants - how to follow health dept. guidelines - how to clean the kitchen to protocol.

Offices - how to use the phone system's two thousand buttons. How to use the company software. How to fill out a service request - on, and on, and on.

Golf Course - how to maintain the greens. How to maintain the carts. How to set up a banquet. On and on, and on.

Attorneys - How the initial legal work will be set up - and an outline of what steps will typically follow. Do they NEED an attorney repeating this 8 times a week to potential new clients? No - set them in a room and watch the 20 minute video. IF they like what they saw AND want to engage in a business relationship, THEN meet with the attorney for 10 minutes - instead of 30.

How hard of a sell are any of these ideas?

When their procedures change, or they get new equipment, or they add a new position, or they add a new process - you do it all over again.

You can host this on a website, for which you can charge a monthly fee. Will they love you for that? Absolutely.

Make it easy for them to hire you. Deliver exactly what they want and NEED. And do it for a recurring fee. Rinse and repeat.

There you have it. Go get em.

PS - I lived in Minnesota for over 40 years. One does not simply leave Minnesota. One escapes. Now that the brutal winters are coming, start planning your escape. There is NO reason to endure those long 30 below zero winters. Trust me - I know.

JH23

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Nov 26, 2018
You sound like me - someone who loves digging into new stuff for the way it makes your brain go all fizzy, in a nice way. :)

I have no experience on udemy but I used to teach in school so I know a bit about putting together teaching/training materials.

I totally agree with those advising you not to make courses about stuff in which you're not an expert.

That said, you've indicated that you know a fair bit about researching and note-taking and organising your thoughts. Every year, a bazillion young people - those in their last year of school, and those in their first year of college - need help with those skills. Less spoon-feeding than they've been used to, more independent study. You could help them.

Study skills for younger kids. The market for private tutoring is huge. Many of the same parents paying for such a thing would happily buy a course about more general skills. Maybe a book, too.

What software do you use when doing your research? Some kind of word processor? A note-taking app? Do any photo editing? What about Mind mapping? List all the software that you use. Each of those pieces of software is a course you could make, aimed not just at students of course. And software comes with built in obsolescence. Every time there's an update, you need to update your course and a bunch of users realise that a) there's more to this software than they realised and b) they need help really getting to grips with it.

Once you have several courses up and running, you're now an expert in putting together courses and can start approaching experts in other fields. I happen to think that the vast majority of experts are too busy being experts to get around to making courses. If only there was someone with experience in that field who could help them ...

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!