The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018
Alrighty, thanks for the quick replies.
I'm learning the HTML + CSS now and will take the Udemy course after. What else can you offer beside creating a website? SEO? Content creation?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm learning the HTML + CSS now and will take the Udemy course after. What else can you offer beside creating a website? SEO? Content creation?

I think you are overlooking the value of a decent website. I would focus on that first.

Lots of businesses will pay 5-20k for a decent website that can bring in and create sales.

Here is a recent one I did for a client in that states:

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany

If the title of this thread would have been "How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, 500$ + per month within 9 months", would you still be willing to do it?

I mean no harm to you, but everything you did since you've joined was pretty much "money chasing".

Have you read MJ's books meanwhile?

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018

If the title of this thread would have been "How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, 500$ + per month within 9 months", would you still be willing to do it?

I mean no harm to you, but everything you did since you've joined was pretty much "money chasing".

Have you read MJ's books meanwhile?

Not completely true, I'm trying to sort out my mind on what to do since I haven't got a clue.
And yes, I'm on page 204 of the Unscripted book :).

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Not completely true, I'm trying to sort out my mind on what to do since I haven't got a clue.
And yes, I'm on page 204 of the Unscripted book :).

The best way to approach it is this...

Some businesses have a great product or service that they just can't get into the hands of their potential clients.

Maybe people can't find it (SEO / Paid ads), maybe they don't understand how it works (copywriting, good web design), maybe they don't trust that it works (testimonials, case studies, certifications), or maybe they can't picture what it might mean for them ( photos, videos, client results, portfolios).

Your job is to connect with these businesses and fix the missing link in their sales system. You use your tools to see what the problem is and build a bridge so the sales and new clients can keep flowing.

For larger businesses with big sales this can be an extremely profitable skillset. One or two new sales can mean 100s of thousands or millions in added revenue. You are going to start small with little problems for approachable businesses but work up to these big guns with the bigger (and more profitable) problems.

Just like a detective you need time working small cases to build the ability to solve big cases. Go find people with easier problems to solve and learn and gain experience. Then move up the ladder.

Everyone will always want sales. Sales are complicated and not easily automated or outsourced.

If you got the skills people will pay.

Extra bonus - getting better at creating sales for other people usually means you get better at selling your own services. Its win-win.

It isn't code and it isn't design - its solving problems and building sales. If you can go in this approach you will have a the ability to branch of from web design down the line and create your own businesses and sales machines.

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018
The best way to approach it is this...

Some businesses have a great product or service that they just can't get into the hands of their potential clients.

Maybe people can't find it (SEO / Paid ads), maybe they don't understand how it works (copywriting, good web design), maybe they don't trust that it works (testimonials, case studies, certifications), or maybe they can't picture what it might mean for them ( photos, videos, client results, portfolios).

Your job is to connect with these businesses and fix the missing link in their sales system. You use your tools to see what the problem is and build a bridge so the sales and new clients can keep flowing.

For larger businesses with big sales this can be an extremely profitable skillset. One or two new sales can mean 100s of thousands or millions in added revenue. You are going to start small with little problems for approachable businesses but work up to these big guns with the bigger (and more profitable) problems.

Just like a detective you need time working small cases to build the ability to solve big cases. Go find people with easier problems to solve and learn and gain experience. Then move up the ladder.

Everyone will always want sales. Sales are complicated and not easily automated or outsourced.

If you got the skills people will pay.

Extra bonus - getting better at creating sales for other people usually means you get better at selling your own services. Its win-win.

It isn't code and it isn't design - its solving problems and building sales. If you can go in this approach you will have a the ability to branch of from web design down the line and create your own businesses and sales machines.

Thank you for your detailed reply. Appreciated.
So the way I'm reading this is; don't learn anything (yet), check out what companies struggle/deal with and learn it so you can help them?

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit
I think you are overlooking the value of a decent website. I would focus on that first.

Lots of businesses will pay 5-20k for a decent website that can bring in and create sales.

Here is a recent one I did for a client in that states:

Hi Fox,

Love the youtube video! Very inspirational.

I just subscribed to your Youtube and Facecbook group, could you share a link to a website that you believe is worth $10,000-$20,000? I'm about to apply for an LLC for my own website services business.

Currently up to about 3 websites for clients made so far. Diving into a Django web development currently, developing a website that allows clients to create new posts/events and edit html text via a custom admin panel. Very excited to have a way to get around using Wordpress when customers ask for the ability to make edits to their site.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Hey @Fox,

Can you post some realistic numbers especially at the beginning?

I think everyone on here that is attempting to do this has very UNREALISTIC expectations and I think you are an outlier.

How many emails have you sent per day? How many cold calls per day? What was the success rate out of 10? How many cold calls do you make? How many hours do you spend cold calling and prospecting?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Hey @Fox,

I think everyone on here that is attempting to do this has very UNREALISTIC expectations and I think you are an outlier.

How many emails have you sent per day? How many cold calls per day? What was the success rate out of 10? How many cold calls do you make? How many hours do you spend cold calling and prospecting?

Not really sure what you're looking for. What if he's an outlier in the other direction? What if it's possible to get 30k/month in only 6 months?

What difference does it make what his stats were? How would that impact what you do? Sounds to me like you're fishing for a way to justify your fear of picking up the phone and making some calls.

I get it, cold calling is scary. I've done it myself and I don't enjoy it. I don't like getting squashed like a bug by the cold and uncaring marketplace.

Some dude just moved here to Az (sorry bro but I can't remember your handle) and had his first 5 figure month, within a few months. Dude is frigging crushing it.

It's definitely possible, and asking for numbers to attempt to justify your fear isn't going to put $$$ in your bank account.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Not really sure what you're looking for. What if he's an outlier in the other direction? What if it's possible to get 30k/month in only 6 months?

What difference does it make what his stats were? How would that impact what you do? Sounds to me like you're fishing for a way to justify your fear of picking up the phone and making some calls.

I get it, cold calling is scary. I've done it myself and I don't enjoy it. I don't like getting squashed like a bug by the cold and uncaring marketplace.

Some dude just moved here to Az (sorry bro but I can't remember your handle) and had his first 5 figure month, within a few months. Dude is frigging crushing it.

It's definitely possible, and asking for numbers to attempt to justify your fear isn't going to put $$$ in your bank account.

It does matter. Stats shows if you are on the wrong path.

If someone misses 100 free throws and never improves it safe to say he is doing something wrong. If missing 100 free throws was the norm at least we can keep working at it.

When you are doing something wrong, you get pulled in a lot of different directions to figure things out. Sean Marshall’s advertising course in Udemy mentioned emailing as a waste of time which contradicts fox’s method of getting clients.

It is a good measurement to see what the real stats are so we can have a benchmark to see if we are on the right path.

EDIT: Just had to add that on Fox's facegroup post, he is in the upper tier in the bell shaped curve when it comes to making money in web design when a poll was conducted. Most don't make anywhere near that much but at least we have a benchmark of what the gold standard is and what to expect and where we can improve.

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox,

Well for those who read the full thread I was pretty clear I didn't have much progress for around 6 months.

To give an average timeline:

0 - 3 months = >$1,000 websites
4 - 9 months = >$5,000 websites
1 year plus = $10,000 plus on the bigger sites

But average figures don't tell the whole story. I have seen slower and faster.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
It does matter. Stats shows if you are on the wrong path.

If someone misses 100 free throws and never improves it safe to say he is doing something wrong. If missing 100 free throws was the norm at least we can keep working at it.

When you are doing something wrong, you get pulled in a lot of different directions to figure things out. Sean Marshall’s advertising course in Udemy mentioned emailing as a waste of time which contradicts fox’s method of getting clients.

It is a good measurement to see what the real stats are so we can have a benchmark to see if we are on the right path.

EDIT: Just had to add that on Fox's facegroup post, he is in the upper tier in the bell shaped curve when it comes to making money in web design when a poll was conducted. Most don't make anywhere near that much but at least we have a benchmark of what the gold standard is and what to expect and where we can improve.

It is a beginners group (and global) so it will be towards the lower end. Successful designers don't post as much as they lurk on the main group.

I also think that once people get to the 100k plus bracket they start branching off into other areas - saas, ecommerce, own businesses etc. You got the skill and the money at that stage so working for clients isn't as appealing as it once was.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
@Fox

your course is not open for enrollment?

I am done with the course. Won't be any in 2019 either.

Starting a dedicated sales and biz group where we can all push each other in realtime.

Xaridimos

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Jun 24, 2018
I need to learn how to code websites and use databases in order to create and further develop my internet business idea and although your internet business is of different nature than mine, the tips and the courses you posted were very helpful and a great starting point for me.

Thanks Fox!

P.S.: Any extra tips or resources that would be helpful on my journey to learn web coding would be greatly appreciated!

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
Hello Fox.

I was trying to purchase your course on foxwebschool.com.

It seems you have shut this down.

I understand you are pivoting into something else now but is there any chance those who want the web course can still get it?

Ronny

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jul 29, 2018
Chicago, IL

I got started in web development by learning WordPress development. It's a good platform to use since something like 30% of the internet use it. Since it's a CMS it allows the business owner to manage their own content. If you get better at WP dev, you can start customizing the back end and make it even easier for your client to you.

I'd recommend learning WP dev well enough so you don't use a commercial theme. They tend to be bloated and slow because they're trying to create a theme that appeals to a wide customer base.

After that you'll have a pretty decent grasp of web development and then can start to branch into other things. This is the route I took and it served me very well. However, that's just worked for me but I think it's a good route because it allows you to start making money quickly when you start becoming decent.

That's awesome because it represents one of the things I love about programming...learn more, get paid more! Talk about motivation!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hello Fox.

I was trying to purchase your course on foxwebschool.com.

It seems you have shut this down.

I understand you are pivoting into something else now but is there any chance those who want the web course can still get it?

Hey Banjoa. I shout down the course so there is only a paid group now.

Its closed till November but when it reopens its just a $1 trial if you want to check it out.

I thought it was a better way to go that can help as many people as possible.

banjoa

Present
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
May 7, 2017
Nigeria
I will wait till November then.

Thank you, Fox.

Hey Banjoa. I shout down the course so there is only a paid group now.

Its closed till November but when it reopens its just a $1 trial if you want to check it out.

I thought it was a better way to go that can help as many people as possible.

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
I am still in the process of making my first website using html themes that isn't from shopify or wordpress. I've been spinning my wheels on why my social icons, and other icons are not populating on the first page. In addition, the two buttons on the slider doesnt lead anywhere when I click on it. Any ideas what I am missing?

www.vegapartnersllc.com

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
I am still in the process of making my first website using html themes that isn't from shopify or wordpress. I've been spinning my wheels on why my social icons, and other icons are not populating on the first page. In addition, the two buttons on the slider doesnt lead anywhere when I click on it. Any ideas what I am missing?

www.vegapartnersllc.com

You should be asking on another forum such as stackoverflow or other programming forums. This post doesn't help anyone or provide any insight or add value to the thread...

Smuggo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 13, 2018
I have a question.

If you want to make a site with an option to book, let's say a room, do you need to learn SQL and PHP/JAVA or it can be done another way? I want to create sth like that and also a shop for my product I want to sell (with an option to log in, paying options ect.).

The next step would be designer added to the website but I am pretty sure you need to learn to code to achive that.

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
I'm a little torn on this one.

This week I've learned a lot about copywriting. Lex's course, going through Sugarman's book, daily practice, etc.

However. Every local client I'm looking at helping has a website that looks like sh*t

I don't feel like good copywriting would help them out if their website looks bad for 1999 standards. Good copywriting on a good looking website would be best in my opinion.

What do you guys recommend?

Should I also learn web design so that I can offer a complete service for people or just specialize in one? I don't want to get lost in endless learning without doing cycles so any advice would be huge.

Thanks!

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
I'm a little torn on this one.

This week I've learned a lot about copywriting. Lex's course, going through Sugarman's book, daily practice, etc.

However. Every local client I'm looking at helping has a website that looks like sh*t

I don't feel like good copywriting would help them out if their website looks bad for 1999 standards. Good copywriting on a good looking website would be best in my opinion.

What do you guys recommend?

Should I also learn web design so that I can offer a complete service for people or just specialize in one? I don't want to get lost in endless learning without doing cycles so any advice would be huge.

Thanks!

Start with both. It's a great combo.

Most agencies here don't even do copywriting. They ask their clients to write their own texts. I offer a big value by also doing the copy. I also think a website with bad copywriting sucks, so it's very important.

Besides, copywriting can always be helpful at any stage in your life.

Mike Carr

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Mar 5, 2018
Portugal
Start with both. It's a great combo.

Most agencies here don't even do copywriting. They ask their clients to write their own texts. I offer a big value by also doing the copy. I also think a website with bad copywriting sucks, so it's very important.

Besides, copywriting can always be helpful at any stage in your life.
Thank you for the input! I agree with what you're saying.

Combining them is what I'm hearing from most people (posted this same question in Fox's Facebook group).

I'll go with that route moving forward!

I'm interested to her your take on this since you seem to be doing it. Have you heard of the title, UX Writer? I read about it on Neville Medhora's blog:

https://kopywritingkourse.com/ux-writer/

Not sure if branding myself as a UX Writer is the way to go or something else.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Fox's method is great to learn to build websites and to sell them. Sean Marshall's is great to scale and be free of time

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Fox, how do I sign up for your web school website? It just says to login.

Hey - I was changing some of the backend things around. Should be a lot clearer now.

Still working on a lot of stuff with the school right now so its been a little jumpy last few weeks.

Thanks.

Kalps

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Nov 9, 2018
Toronto
I don't know graphic design or how to build websites. I sold a landing page last week and am over-seeing the design and build before we deliver it to the client.

I don't want to know "how" it's done, just that it's going to help generate leads and sales for the client.

As the business owner, I consider my purpose to be:
  1. Create the vision for my business.
  2. Determine what needs done to make it happen.
  3. CAUSE it to happen - not "do it". (Aka delegate.)
  4. Measure progress.

I personally believe that if I'm to grow my business then I need to get away from the keyboard, not spend more time at the keyboard.

That's my 2c. I honestly don't mind whether people take it or leave it.
@Fox and @Andy Black You guys are killing it. Thank you very much for pouring in so much value in this thread/forum. Information found here really is GOLD!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.