The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The little things are important!

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Promises.

Be careful saying that you're going to do something in the future, unless you're 100% that it will be done as you said.

And then do it. All of it.

Even for little things like, "I'll get back to you tomorrow".
This is me (maybe not literally, but then again maybe literally). This is also why I'm dramatically scaling back and/or quitting the job and focusing on my clients. They aren't getting the value they deserve.

My issue is general courtesy, as mentioned before. If you've got the time to send me a 5 word email, at least put an intro or some generic nicety in it. Maybe even address it to me? I even do that in business text messages. I understand if we're mid-email-convo, but don't send me an email after not hearing from you for ten months and just say "give me this thing."
If you're having a bad day, maybe wait until tomorrow to send that email.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I notice that they can spell Scallions, Dynamite, Cucumber, Tempura etc., but can't spell Crab???

The menu refers to Krab, whatever that is, but I would be very suspicious of someone who consistently misspells a short and simple important word, while correctly spelling more "complicated" words.

It seems like a con.

Walter

Japanese restaurants use imitation crab aka krab inside most of their rolls.

Lord Business

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Feb 24, 2018
finland
Answering e-mails when I make a request for an very realistic offer for somekind of service or product. It's amazing in Finland, how you'll get 20-30% answers for those emails only. How the eff do those companies exist anymore? And my b2b requests are for tens of thousands of euros... And it's me that wants the sell! Not them selling me anything! wtf
I told my people that I'll fire anyone on the spot if I ever found out that a buying request isn't answered in 12 hour time no matter how small or unimportant it seems.

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
If there is going to be a change in plans then let me know!

Whether the thing is big --> financial issues came up and you can't pay on time

Or small --> Stuck in traffic lets delay the call by 10 mins so you can pull over

It's understandable, I get it, shit happens. Things don't go as planned and that's alright...

When this sort of stuff does take place then just be honest let me know in advance, thanks. I promise the goodwill from you doing so will heavily outweigh the frustration caused from having things shaken up. If you don't then there is no goodwill and even more frustration.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
Good old fashioned manners. It’s so easy to have manners that rudeness riles me up instantly.
REP+ Very good post. Proper long-term business is only conducted from a win-win standpoint. Being an a**hole, screwing people over, being dishonest, unethical, or generally not holding up their end of the deal will eventually bite these folks in the a$$.
Definitely agree. Thank you for the rep, my friend! :D

Rawseed

Legendary Lurker
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Mar 1, 2018
Atlanta, GA
All I ask is that people:

Say ‘thank you’ when I provide them value. Even if they paid for it.

Say ‘sorry’ when they fail to provide value as expected. Even if it isn’t entirely their fault.

G

Guest92dX

Ego. Assumptions. Thoughtless actions.

I am guilty of the first two just as much as everyone else. However, thoughtfulness is one of my primary values. It sometimes makes me care too much.

At the end of the day, let it go.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Bump to reccommend this book. I read it years ago and I still think back to it when getting dressed for something important.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0446385522/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
You have any thoughts on "getting dressed" every day, regardless of what you're doing that day? I used to do it, but TBH I'm more productive when I'm comfortable. The downside is that looking like a schlub is no good for networking, which, if Cardone is to be believed, is an opportunity cost too high to pay.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You have any thoughts on "getting dressed" every day, regardless of what you're doing that day? I used to do it, but TBH I'm more productive when I'm comfortable. The downside is that looking like a schlub is no good for networking, which, if Cardobe is to be believed, is an opportunity cost too high to pay.

I personally wear golf clothes most days when I'm not meeting someone.

When I am meeting with a person outside of my organization, jacket minimum. Usually a suit. Being from Texas, the absolute darkest color I'll wear in a suit is navy. Mostly conservative light gray with very subtle if any patterning.

The industries are interesting. The oil and gas side of things, you can dress down, wear a sport coat, jeans and some boots.

The government side of things, suit and tie.

Last edited:

annagreenang

New Contributor
Jul 6, 2018
Essex, CT
Reading and responding to the ENTIRETY of a message.

I've gone back and forth with my factory a few times now where I've gotten half answers and/or it was clear they glossed over my message. I've gotten responses back that are embarrassingly inappropriate, if they READ what I sent them.

And it's not just them - it's EVERY professional I email.

I'll take the 10 minutes to write a very clear message with questions that need answering and I'll get a 5 word reply that ignores 80% of my concerns. Or answers only one of 3 questions. Or just not answer at all.

I tend to call most folks these days because it's gotten so bad.

It's like the entire world has forgotten (or never learned) how to formulate a reply based on the content of a message received.

Thank you for sharing the update

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen

I've gone back and forth with my factory a few times now where I've gotten half answers and/or it was clear they glossed over my message. I've gotten responses back that are embarrassingly inappropriate, if they READ what I sent them.

And it's not just them - it's EVERY professional I email.

I'll take the 10 minutes to write a very clear message with questions that need answering and I'll get a 5 word reply that ignores 80% of my concerns. Or answers only one of 3 questions. Or just not answer at all.

I tend to call most folks these days because it's gotten so bad.

It's like the entire world has forgotten (or never learned) how to formulate a reply based on the content of a message received.
I get many PMs and emails requesting advice and some of them are quite lengthy.

To make sure I deal with every point, I number the points in the message I have received, and head my replies with those numbers.

This idea originated with my early communications with overseas suppliers, many of whom had little knowledge of English. The result was that in most cases they cottoned on to the idea and replied by number.

It may seem stilted or too formal, but it works.

I see that @lex sometimes uses that method in his posts.

Walter

Flybye

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Feb 19, 2018
Cuba v2.1 (Miami)
....make things more complicated than they need to be. Just say sorry, fix it, move on. I don't need a five page dissertation of reasons and excuses.
Drives me insane! I love my employee. She is the hardest most dedicated person I have ever met. She doesnt just help customers. She makes them feel like a family member. But when something goes wrong, she will linger and whine about the issue for longer than she needs to. Sometimes so bad that Ive literally had to tell her to shut up! Less whining and more concentration on the solution. Thankfully, we can be honest with each other, and neither of us ever get butthurt. Two people never getting defensive and being able to work better together because of it. Imagine that.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
BUMP.

You know what chaps my a$$?

Cleanliness. The lack of it. The attitude of making sure you have a fresh environment to work and live in. Cleaning up after you make a mess. Civil responsibility.

But somehow, I've met one too many folks who simply ignore cleanliness and housekeeping for work. Think of the workaholic who leaves heaps of dishes in his sink or a crumb-ridden office space, in the light of looming deadlines.

I blame the college dorm system for it. In one way or another, university kids these days are not forced in any manner to clean up after themselves, so they bring this bad habit all the way until adulthood and marriage.

And we wonder why wives and janitors alike look pissed off all the time!

Today, when I went to use my university accomodations kitchen, I was horrified to find the following:
1. Dustbins filled to the brim with food wrappers, opened instant noodle containers with the reaming sauce welcoming the tongues of lizards and cockroaches alike, and other food debris. A few flies hummed around the vicinity.

We have a cleaning team that pops in once a week to clean up and empty the bins. But I don't trust them 100%. My dorm mates shouldn't as well. But how can you tell the lazy F*ckers?!

2. Debris scattered around the floor. Something like vegetable pods or fruit seeds. But it could be cockroach egg pods as well. I'm not going to do a test taste to find out.

3. More debris on the kitchen table. Dunno whether it is either a vegetable hair or a lizard poo. Figures.

4. Shoes. F*ck!
The asses left their pairs all over the floor. Didn't put it in the rack provided.
I know that you are tired after classes, and you just want to kick off and fall into your bed and slumber away. But if you want folks stealing your exposed shoes, or a creepy-crawly settling in your shoes for a nice snooze....

Needless to say, I had to spend a hefty amount of time cleaning.

Probably an entrance test for future employees would be to have the waiting room be dirty, and the interviewees will be observed to see if he takes the initiative to clean up. Loads of folks would fail that test lol.

But you don't need to be a McDonalds' worker to make cleaning a great habit.

Healthfulness

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Oct 7, 2018
Denmark
BUMP.

You know what chaps my a$$?

Cleanliness. The lack of it. The attitude of making sure you have a fresh environment to work and live in. Cleaning up after you make a mess. Civil responsibility.

But somehow, I've met one too many folks who simply ignore cleanliness and housekeeping for work. Think of the workaholic who leaves heaps of dishes in his sink or a crumb-ridden office space, in the light of looming deadlines.

I blame the college dorm system for it. In one way or another, university kids these days are not forced in any manner to clean up after themselves, so they bring this bad habit all the way until adulthood and marriage.

And we wonder why wives and janitors alike look pissed off all the time!

Today, when I went to use my university accomodations kitchen, I was horrified to find the following:
1. Dustbins filled to the brim with food wrappers, opened instant noodle containers with the reaming sauce welcoming the tongues of lizards and cockroaches alike, and other food debris. A few flies hummed around the vicinity.

We have a cleaning team that pops in once a week to clean up and empty the bins. But I don't trust them 100%. My dorm mates shouldn't as well. But how can you tell the lazy f*ckers?!

2. Debris scattered around the floor. Something like vegetable pods or fruit seeds. But it could be cockroach egg pods as well. I'm not going to do a test taste to find out.

3. More debris on the kitchen table. Dunno whether it is either a vegetable hair or a lizard poo. Figures.

4. Shoes. f*ck!
The asses left their pairs all over the floor. Didn't put it in the rack provided.
I know that you are tired after classes, and you just want to kick off and fall into your bed and slumber away. But if you want folks stealing your exposed shoes, or a creepy-crawly settling in your shoes for a nice snooze....

Needless to say, I had to spend a hefty amount of time cleaning.

Probably an entrance test for future employees would be to have the waiting room be dirty, and the interviewees will be observed to see if he takes the initiative to clean up. Loads of folks would fail that test lol.

But you don't need to be a McDonalds' worker to make cleaning a great habit.

Very relatable as currently I share apartment with flatmates (students). I don't get It why It's so hard for others to clean their dishes after cooking, pick up what felt on the floor, not even mentioning stuff like washing floors etc. Hate It so much as every single dirt annoys me. I moved in new place, much better, but still.. It's super easy to keep everything clean If you clean up instantly after you get something dirty, If you wait week, then sure, It sucks to clean that mess. What I tell to these people is: "The cleaniness of your room reflects the cleaniness of your mind and life all together." Like If you can't keep your living place clean and you drop shit on streets, you're gonna have life filled with crap and you deserve It!

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Drives me insane! I love my employee. She is the hardest most dedicated person I have ever met. She doesnt just help customers. She makes them feel like a family member. But when something goes wrong, she will linger and whine about the issue for longer than she needs to. Sometimes so bad that Ive literally had to tell her to shut up! Less whining and more concentration on the solution. Thankfully, we can be honest with each other, and neither of us ever get butthurt. Two people never getting defensive and being able to work better together because of it. Imagine that.
POSSIBLE SOLUTION: Men need to understand that almost universally, women are not looking for a solution when something bothers them and they complain. They are looking for sympathy.

When she starts her whinging, sympathize - agree with her - tell her you understand how much it must aggravate her.

In doing that you will likely defuse her feeling of annoyance or injury, and she might then agree to work on a solution.

Walter

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Mine is that people now days do not listen to the question and will not provide an answer that even remotely answers the question. To me the evasiveness shows a lack of preparation on the their part. If you are in business you should know your business well enough to answer questions intelligently.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Mine is that people now days do not listen to the question and will not provide an answer that even remotely answers the question. To me the evasiveness shows a lack of preparation on the their part. If you are in business you should know your business well enough to answer questions intelligently.
This is closely related to my pet hate, which is that many sales people know nothing about the product they are supposedly "selling."

Also, sometimes even the receptionist answering the phone hasn't a clue about how the business operates - even to the extent of not even knowing what products or services they sell :rage::thumbsdown:

Walter

Davejemmolly

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 1, 2018
Australia

I've been guilty of this in the past!

Spent 30 minutes answering the question I thought the client had asked, instead of the one he actually asked!

I was so proud of myself after my comprehensive first answer too!

Oh well!

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Many talk about not giving a f*ck... I think you should give a f*ck.

I can not stand when an individual holds themselves out as a professional, or an expert in their field and they can't even string a proper sentence together. We have spell checks and grammar checks on EVERYTHING except handwritten letters. There is no excuse for this incompetence.

Even though entrepreneurship and the unscripted mindset places a lesser emphasis on formal education, being an educated individual is still paramount.

If you interact with people, you absolutely must speak and write intelligently. Show others that you take yourself and your business seriously.

What are some other little things that you believe are important?

Love this words : " absolutely must speak and write intelligently. " Do you know any books or how can someone improve speak and write intelligence ? While reading your post it sounds just great but when i do the same it sounds pretty lame.
Thank you.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Love this words : " absolutely must speak and write intelligently. " Do you know any books or how can someone improve speak and write intelligence ? While reading your post it sounds just great but when i do the same it sounds pretty lame.
Thank you.
Lmfao... I’m sorry but lmfao

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Many talk about not giving a f*ck... I think you should give a f*ck.

I can not stand when an individual holds themselves out as a professional, or an expert in their field and they can't even string a proper sentence together. We have spell checks and grammar checks on EVERYTHING except handwritten letters. There is no excuse for this incompetence.

Even though entrepreneurship and the unscripted mindset places a lesser emphasis on formal education, being an educated individual is still paramount.

If you interact with people, you absolutely must speak and write intelligently. Show others that you take yourself and your business seriously.

What are some other little things that you believe are important?
You know what another one is? “i don’t care what other people think”

Yes... you do. Millions of years of evolution has literally engrained caring what other people think into your biology.

But regardless, you should care what people think. Not caring what others think is not a virtue. It doesn’t make you cool, or a rebel. These are the same assholes making a scene at McDonalds because they won’t accept their coupon for a half-price McLatte that’s only available in select locations. Oh yea, thanks for not caring what other think... totally makes you a badass.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
A little departed from the topic... but jealousy of all kinds is like the worst poker face on earth. Live your life and suppress those feelings... Jealousy only makes you worse.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Thank you.

Maybe ESL? Is English your second language or first.

Honestly, in my opinion the best thing to do is to just read the work of intelligent people and eventually the grammar will just rub off on you. Maybe Personal Development books that yu're interested in written by PhDs or great literature. Pretty soon you'll just get a 'feel' for good grammar. Like people say I have good grammar, but I've never taken a grammar course in my life (aside from elementary school years ago.) If you want to speed up the process you can rewrite books by hand and it will literally ingrain the grammar into your head.

I mean there may better ways to learn grammar, but I think it's like etiquette. You don't necessarily need a class or book on it, you just pick it up from being around those who have it.

but there may be good books or classes on it too.

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
Maybe ESL? Is English your second language or first.

Honestly, in my opinion the best thing to do is to just read the work of intelligent people and eventually the grammar will just rub off on you. Maybe Personal Development books that yu're interested in written by PhDs or great literature. Pretty soon you'll just get a 'feel' for good grammar. Like people say I have good grammar, but I've never taken a grammar course in my life (aside from elementary school years ago.) If you want to speed up the process you can rewrite books by hand and it will literally ingrain the grammar into your head.

I mean there may better ways to learn grammar, but I think it's like etiquette. You don't necessarily need a class or book on it, you just pick it up from being around those who have it.

but there may be good books or classes on it too.
Please don't laugh English is my 3rd language it may sound like a silly question but i really do care how it sounds. Thank you for your suggestion, already doing rewriting and its helping a lot. Great to hear i am taking the right path.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Please don't laugh English is my 3rd language it may sound like a silly question but i really do care how it sounds. Thank you for your suggestion, already doing rewriting and its helping a lot. Great to hear i am taking the right path.
Gotcha.. if English isn't your native language, then that's fine. I thought you grew up in the US. But yea, that's awesome you're making an effort. Yea man... just spend time listening to, and reading well spoken people. I'll send you a link to my Goodreads profile and maybe you'll find some title you like.

Ronak

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Sep 13, 2013
I have posted before about how hard it is to get consumer service providers to return calls.

Unfortunately, this is not limited to mom and pop operations. Even when soliciting B2B proposals for services that run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, you would not believe how many just don't follow up. I also ran into a few clowns who thought they were too good for my business, despite getting personally referred by mutual contacts that spend literally millions of dollars with that company. I get it, you work with Fortune 500 companies like it's nothing. But must you act like a douche about it? You never know when the tables will be turned. Be respectful and professional, always.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.