The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Growing A Web Design Business From Zero

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
I finally broke through this week with a couple sales after a bit of a slump.

Great job! Nice work finding your project clients. And way to go to think about residual income. I recommend you check out Andy Black's discussions of how he runs his client's Adwords campaigns for an ongoing monthly flat fee, plus they pay the cost of the ads directly.

The past month I've really been focusing on learning SEO and improving my copywriting skills. I haven't had a chance to really implement those new skills into a website so the next few will be a great opportunity.

There are some good copywriting threads here including one I've been active in. If you find some good SEO threads here, can you please let me know which they are?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
If your college experience is anything like mine, you'll have waaaaay more free time than you did in high school. And I was an "A" student.

Haha that's good to hear. I've heard different things about how much time I'll have in college but I took a pretty rigorous course load this year in high school and still was able to work on my business, so I think I'll be fine. I'll just have less time than I will this summer of course.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Haha that's good to hear. I've heard different things about how much time I'll have in college but I took a pretty rigorous course load this year in high school and still was able to work on my business, so I think I'll be fine. I'll just have less time than I will this summer of course.

One of my favorite things about college was how the schedule is so much more flexible than high school. Most classes don't meet every day, and it's up to you to figure out when to do your homework... whether that's a little bit every day, or wait til it all piles up and panic at the last minute... whatever works for you!

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Been a while since my last update. I was waiting for something big to update everyone on but not much has happened so I thought I would just share my progress over the past ~3 weeks.

Overall it's been pretty frustrating. Still waiting on some final content pieces for the copywriting agency site so that still isn't online. It'd be nice if it was because I still need a few more good portfolio pieces, but there's not much I can do besides sending an email asking if I can help in any way every once in a while.

Sales wise I've only closed one deal since my last post, website updates/maintenance plus social media help at $30 an hour for a small company in the sports/outdoors niche. I got this one through responding to a craigslist ad. They bought 5 hours up front for $150 and have only used 2 in 3 weeks, so there's not a ton of money here.

I had kind of a forced vacation the week around July 4th (went down to Florida with family for grandparents 50th anniversary) so didn't get any work done that week. The rest of my time has been spent looking for leads and doing a full revamp of my own business website, which just went online a couple days ago. I upgraded it from 1 to 4 pages and used all of the SEO and copywriting knowledge I've gained over the past few months. I also included a blog section for case studies on how I helped the businesses I've worked with and the results I got for them. I wrote the first case study on the painting business from a while back too.

Looking at the big picture, I feel like I've kind of hit a wall lately. I've reached a point where I'm making semi-consistent income; not a ton of money but decent for a college student with low living expenses. The problem is that I'm having trouble making the next step to the 4 figure sites. I feel like I've delivered high quality work to the clients I have, but their businesses are just too small to see the crazy good results that Fox and others get for their clients. While the new sites I've built have converted much better than the old ones, there's only so much I can do with these sites that get 30-50 monthly visitors. And that's not to mention that every paid client I've had has been super low value and a complete pain in the a$$ to work with (interestingly the two free clients I had early on were both super nice guys and very helpful).

I need to move up and target bigger businesses that will see great, tangible results, but other than grinding away with cold emails and calls I don't know how. I've started to branch out to facebook and business groups again and am planning on attending a few networking events but am still searching for other solutions, as I really don't want to be dependent on Craigslist for leads.

Anyways, I apologize if it seemed like I was ranting there at the end. No one ever said this would be easy and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to make this business succeed, so I'm not trying to complain or anything like that. I know I have the ability to make this business a success; I'm just at a crossroads right and need some guidance on what to do next.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Been a while since my last update. I was waiting for something big to update everyone on but not much has happened so I thought I would just share my progress over the past ~3 weeks.

Overall it's been pretty frustrating. Still waiting on some final content pieces for the copywriting agency site so that still isn't online. It'd be nice if it was because I still need a few more good portfolio pieces, but there's not much I can do besides sending an email asking if I can help in any way every once in a while.

Sales wise I've only closed one deal since my last post, website updates/maintenance plus social media help at $30 an hour for a small company in the sports/outdoors niche. I got this one through responding to a craigslist ad. They bought 5 hours up front for $150 and have only used 2 in 3 weeks, so there's not a ton of money here.

I had kind of a forced vacation the week around July 4th (went down to Florida with family for grandparents 50th anniversary) so didn't get any work done that week. The rest of my time has been spent looking for leads and doing a full revamp of my own business website, which just went online a couple days ago. I upgraded it from 1 to 4 pages and used all of the SEO and copywriting knowledge I've gained over the past few months. I also included a blog section for case studies on how I helped the businesses I've worked with and the results I got for them. I wrote the first case study on the painting business from a while back too.

Looking at the big picture, I feel like I've kind of hit a wall lately. I've reached a point where I'm making semi-consistent income; not a ton of money but decent for a college student with low living expenses. The problem is that I'm having trouble making the next step to the 4 figure sites. I feel like I've delivered high quality work to the clients I have, but their businesses are just too small to see the crazy good results that Fox and others get for their clients. While the new sites I've built have converted much better than the old ones, there's only so much I can do with these sites that get 30-50 monthly visitors. And that's not to mention that every paid client I've had has been super low value and a complete pain in the a$$ to work with (interestingly the two free clients I had early on were both super nice guys and very helpful).

I need to move up and target bigger businesses that will see great, tangible results, but other than grinding away with cold emails and calls I don't know how. I've started to branch out to facebook and business groups again and am planning on attending a few networking events but am still searching for other solutions, as I really don't want to be dependent on Craigslist for leads.

Anyways, I apologize if it seemed like I was ranting there at the end. No one ever said this would be easy and I'm prepared to do whatever it takes to make this business succeed, so I'm not trying to complain or anything like that. I know I have the ability to make this business a success; I'm just at a crossroads right and need some guidance on what to do next.

How many cold calls did you make?

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
How many cold calls did you make?

Last 3 weeks around 50, mostly targeting medium sized construction companies. Out of this I got a couple slightly warm leads but after the second call they all said some variation of "call us again in a few months". Not a ton of calls I know but have been mixing in different methods of cold outreach such as FB messenger (only done 10 or so of these and at have gotten 8 responses at least so better than cold email if I can find their fb page) and highly personalized cold emails.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

Hit me up with your Skype and lets talk. PM me your details.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
Okay, I've read through this thread. You are really proactive and persistent man and you have been successful in your ventures thus far. It's inspiring. You mentioned that this business is somewhat of an avenue to get started off to be financially independent and then later start a fastlane business. Honestly as a web dev myself, this process of selling websites is too time consuming in my opinion and the time spent is not worth it in the long run. The networking that you do now is of outmost importance. Remember don't chase the money, solve a need and he money will come regardless. I've seen your reported progress from free jobs to start off, to paid jobs; it's great that youre making money doing something you enjoy, but it is still somewhat slowlane. There is no automation in this system of yours right now and the fact is, if you want to land a huge job that will get you the figures you are imagining, you'll need to improve your skillset. Learn some more web related stuff, and against popular opinion use content management systems like WordPress more than you currently do. They save a ton of time and if you're efficient in php you can tailor it to your needs exactly. Keep up the good work though. You're surely doing exactly what I wanted to do when I started web technologies.

Edit: keep posting and updating.
You may not realize but the experiences that you share on this thread are very helpful, especially to the lot of us that are aligned to this same path of yours. Thanks for that.

Last edited:

Kerem Ozkan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 9, 2018
Hey, as someone who is exactly in your shoes right now, this thread is so helpful. It feels good to know that you are not the only one having these questions or problems. You have done a great service to the community, buddy!

ShellShock

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 14, 2018
Bucharest
Pretty interesting thread mate. Do you thing you can use webinars/ sales funnels as an "automated" way to consistently bring clients? It would be pretty interesting.

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Last 3 weeks around 50, mostly targeting medium sized construction companies. Out of this I got a couple slightly warm leads but after the second call they all said some variation of "call us again in a few months". Not a ton of calls I know but have been mixing in different methods of cold outreach such as FB messenger (only done 10 or so of these and at have gotten 8 responses at least so better than cold email if I can find their fb page) and highly personalized cold emails.

You're a hard worker taking action, but the action's not the most effective plan. That feels like it should be fixable!

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
What do you mean? Can you give an example?

He’s probably referencing setting up some digital advertising campaign that leads cold prospects through a sales funnel, much like Russel Branson’s methodology. A quick example is probably:
FB ad offering a free report of how a website can help construction companies improve their marketing and get more sales > that report primes them for the next retargeting ad shown to them for a free webinar explaining X > webinar teaches something of value and has an offer at the end for his web design service > a % of the people may purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jcvlds

JC
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Jul 9, 2016
Mexico > Texas > Florida
@jcvlds that is exactly what i am talking about.

Pretty interesting thread mate. Do you thing you can use webinars/ sales funnels as an "automated" way to consistently bring clients?

Best way to answer your question then would be to do it, test it, and look at results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
He’s probably referencing setting up some digital advertising campaign that leads cold prospects through a sales funnel

Oh, I see. Yes I've seen that approach to selling big ticket products. Can it be used to sell custom services for a few thousand dollars? I don't know. Maybe someone on the forum has tested that?

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone, I’m really glad to hear this thread has inspired people and I definitely plan on keeping it going.

Just going through a bit of a rough patch right now but I know I’ll turn it around soon!

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Thanks for the replies and advice everyone, I’m really glad to hear this thread has inspired people and I definitely plan on keeping it going.

Just going through a bit of a rough patch right now but I know I’ll turn it around soon!

It could be your sales process. Maybe fox can help you with that. The ability to sell and influence is probably just as important as providing results.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
I had a call with Fox a few days ago and wanted to share the summary and what I've been doing with everyone.

So we talked about what's been going on and looked over a few of the sites I've built, and the problem was that although they look good, the businesses I worked with were just too small and not getting enough traffic to see great results. This was completely my fault, as when I started I was just too eager to build a website for anyone that wanted to work with me, and I didn't really take the time to screen for clients that I could actually get huge results for. Fox stressed the importance of client selection in the course but I thought if I just built a good site the rest would take care of itself. I learned the hard way that this is not true, and if you are just starting out please don't make the same mistake.

After we talked about that we made a plan of action and decided that I should reach out to some people with established businesses via the forum or facebook. We both agreed that even if I have to do one more site for free, which is a bit of a step backwards, if I can get results for an established business (that is already getting substantial website traffic) then I can take my own business to new heights and really start making big sales.

Since the call I've been in contact with a few forum members with much bigger businesses than the ones I have been working with, and I have closed two deals, including one full website build for $300 for a big time consultant (basically free + project costs since I want to put some money into this one to make it really good). The other job is ongoing edits at a low price to a Wordpress e-commerce store for a pretty established clothing brand.

The profit on these two jobs isn't too high for me but I'm super excited to get the chance to work with some bigger brands. I think this is a necessary step for my business and if I do good work then this time the results will come in for sure. Overall, things are looking up!

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
I had a call with Fox a few days ago and wanted to share the summary and what I've been doing with everyone.

So we talked about what's been going on and looked over a few of the sites I've built, and the problem was that although they look good, the businesses I worked with were just too small and not getting enough traffic to see great results. This was completely my fault, as when I started I was just too eager to build a website for anyone that wanted to work with me, and I didn't really take the time to screen for clients that I could actually get huge results for. Fox stressed the importance of client selection in the course but I thought if I just built a good site the rest would take care of itself. I learned the hard way that this is not true, and if you are just starting out please don't make the same mistake.

After we talked about that we made a plan of action and decided that I should reach out to some people with established businesses via the forum or facebook. We both agreed that even if I have to do one more site for free, which is a bit of a step backwards, if I can get results for an established business (that is already getting substantial website traffic) then I can take my own business to new heights and really start making big sales.

Since the call I've been in contact with a few forum members with much bigger businesses than the ones I have been working with, and I have closed two deals, including one full website build for $300 for a big time consultant (basically free + project costs since I want to put some money into this one to make it really good). The other job is ongoing edits at a low price to a Wordpress e-commerce store for a pretty established clothing brand.

The profit on these two jobs isn't too high for me but I'm super excited to get the chance to work with some bigger brands. I think this is a necessary step for my business and if I do good work then this time the results will come in for sure. Overall, things are looking up!

Yup I learned this the hard way as well. Its hard to sell when you don't have results.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Headed out to college in 5 days; it's crazy how fast this summer has gone. Progress hasn't been as fast I expected going into the summer, but I think I still made some good strides and am on the right path.

I'm currently making some final revisions to the consultant website, should be online in the next couple days. This is definitely my best site yet and I'm excited to see it finally go online and start getting the client results.

Edits for the Wordpress e-commerce store I mentioned before are still ongoing. Client and I have added some cool features and made good progress on it so far, but there is likely still more to be done in the coming weeks/months.

I'll be working hard the next few days to get everything wrapped up before I leave for college. Once I'm there I'll probably be taking a few days off to get acclimated and get everything set up before I start looking for new clients again.

It's a fairly large school so there should be some business networking/entrepreneur club opportunities that I can try to take advantage of right away. Just generally getting the word out there that I'm the guy to go to on campus if you know someone who needs a website will also be a priority. Apart from that I'll start making calls again eventually and try to bring in some referrals from past satisfied clients, since I have a few now.

I'm also planning on increasing prices big time from now on. With my current portfolio there is no reason I shouldn't be able to sell at least low-mid 4 figure sites to businesses. If I can't communicate and show that value now then there's a serious problem with my sales system.

Hoping to update you guys soon with my first 4 figure sale!

Last edited:

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Moving ahead with a full redesign for the fashion e-commerce store I was working with previously. We looked through the results the store had been getting so far and decided that the best option would be to overhaul it and do it 100% right this time around. I closed this one at $450, which is a little on the cheaper side, but we've been working together at lower price points already so I decided it would be best to keep it consistent. It is my biggest job in terms of money so far though so that's exciting. The redesign is also for the front end only; won't have to do a whole lot in terms of woo-commerce configurations which is what really drives the price up for e-commerce I think.

Just as a life update college has been great so far and I'm settling in nicely. I've never lived with roommates or in a dorm before so it was a bit of an adjustment but overall I like the new environment. In terms of my schedule I really couldn't have asked for anything better, as my classes are finished by noon every single day. This leaves me plenty of time to do web design work even though I do have some homework I've got to get done in the afternoons. I think I'll be able to get in at least 3-4 hours a day most days which is plenty to handle 1 or 2 clients at a time.

I'm about to start up just sending a few proposals a day again for bigger projects as I'm working on this current site. I've taken a bit of time off actively trying to make sales so it will be good to get back in. This site here is a bit of an exception but I really am looking for 4 figure sites only now. All of the university clubs start up this week or next week as well so that will be a chance to start doing some networking and see what opportunities are out there.

Gymjunkie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 17, 2009
Congrats on progress and clients. I would suggest starting to think about niching down into a niche and owning it. Makes life easier and prices higher.

Here is a bit of a blueprint of evolution of web designers, great heads up for you:

The 7 Stages of WordPress Professional Growth | WP Elevation

If all goes well you won't be selling 4-figure websites, but 5-figure ones.
Keep up the work!

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Hey everyone!

I apologize for the long time without an update; I've been pretty busy with college and web design so have not had a chance to be too active on the forum.

Just some general updates on how things have been going:

Fashion e-commerce store is nearly finished, just need to make some final revisions and get a few things from the client. This one has been moving pretty slowly so I'm excited to see it up soon so it can start getting results.

No new sales have been made yet but I am closing in on a potentially decent sized one for a financial consultant. She was referred to me by my aunt and liked the work that I have on my portfolio thus far. I'm headed back to New Jersey next week to discuss details in person and hopefully close the sale. It could potentially be my first 4 figure one which I am excited about, I'll let you all know what happens.

College has definitely gotten busier and there is less time for the business than I originally estimated but I'm still trying to put some time in on most days. Doesn't always happen but as long as I keep moving forward and growing I'll be happy.

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
Make sure to network while you are in college. I wish I did that. Networking is everything

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham
Make sure to network while you are in college. I wish I did that. Networking is everything
"Your network is your networth" I deem this to be somewhat true, cant remember who said it, heard it on a podcast.

@dmichaelmccann wish you the best of luck on closing your first 4 figure client!

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
On break from college until mid January so looking for the next month to be a big one.

A few updates:

Fashion e-commerce store has been finished now for a couple weeks. Took a while to iron everything out but it looks good and I think it will start bringing in more sales for the client very soon. I'm currently trying to close a monthly maintenance package for this site as well, as being an e-commerce store it will need updating.

Financial consultant I mentioned in the last post said she wasn't ready to move ahead quite yet and that we should discuss again in early January. I'm still feeling pretty good about this one going through and will update when I get some news on it.

In terms of other sales opportunities I have not made much progress. The last two months I have not put in the necessary time to really get results on sales, maybe only a few hours of prospecting and emailing/calling per week. It is definitely more difficult to motivate myself with this big college safety net below me (and the work that has come with college) but I'm going to get back on track and hit the ground running on cold sales once the new year comes around.

The next two weeks leading up to Christmas and the new year I don't expect much as December is always a slow time for sales, so I'm considering offering a month free of social media management to my fashion e-commerce client, as their social media presence is pretty small right now. This will help me move into a new service area and if I get good results we can work out a paid deal for this as well.

That's pretty much all I've got for this update. Hope to update everyone on something big soon.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Hey everyone, it's been a while since my last update so I just wanted to share what I'm up to now. As you may have seen over the last few months my posts have gotten much less frequent, but there is a very good reason for that. Big announcement below and I will get straight to the point.

I started another business.

During the few weeks I had off for winter break from college I had a lot of time to think about my entrepreneurial future and what I truly wanted out of learning web design, and during this time I saw an opportunity to fill a need that I just couldn't wait to pursue.

I can't say much about it of course but I will say that it heavily utilizes the skills I've learned from running this web design business for the past year, and I would definitely not be able to pursue this opportunity without everything I've learned from @Fox and the Fox Web School. It is also something I can see myself doing for the next 5+ years, while I always kind of viewed web design as more of a springboard to bigger and better things.

Despite this I will say that I loved running my web design business for the past year despite all of the highs and lows I've documented over this progress thread, and I can't stress enough that even though I had limited success financially (a bit under $1000 in profit when I tallied everything up for the year) the knowledge and experience I've gained made the journey well worth it. To anyone who hasn't started a business before, I would say web design is a perfect place to start.

Anyway for now I'm going to keep working on the new business which is still in its pretty early stages. I'm super excited to share it with everyone once it gains a bit more traction; I will 100% be starting an INSIDERS progress thread in the next 1-2 months when it does.

Thanks again to everyone who offered their support and advice here over the past year. I've really appreciated the help, and I wouldn't be where I am today without all of you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.