The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

The New Web Design Sub Forum (Intro Post)

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Thanks to @MJ DeMarco for making a new web design (and related hustles) subforum.

If anyone has any web design related questions, suggestions, feedback, progress reports etc please get posting.

This thread can also serve as an introduction thread to this sub-forum so please share your web design related experience below.

What have you done so far and what are your goals with web design?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yah! Happy to see this.

Web design as a hustle was how I got my start.

It paid my bills and allowed me to pursue my business ventures.

Happy to help others set themselves free from the job grind.

dmichaelmccann

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
452%
Dec 20, 2015
New Jersey
Awesome idea Fox and MJ, I'm super excited to be a part of this. The web school and facebook group have already helped me out so much so I hope this subforum can grow to the same level. I'll definitely try to contribute here as much as I can.

I have a web design progress thread in the general execution subforum but if you want to @Fox you can move it in here if that is possible.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Awesome idea Fox and MJ, I'm super excited to be a part of this. The web school and facebook group have already helped me out so much so I hope this subforum can grow to the same level. I'll definitely try to contribute here as much as I can.

I have a web design progress thread in the general execution subforum but if you want to @Fox you can move it in here if that is possible.

Done!

Anyone else wanting the same thing hit me up or post here with the link.

Castro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 28, 2018
United States
This is a great idea! As someone who is progressively picking up on the fundamentals of web design, this will be a place I visit often to share new ideas.

Doug Smith

Changing Lanes
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Oct 27, 2016
Detroit, Mi
This is great to see. I've made money building websites for many years, but didn't get serious about turning it into an actual business until recently. I'm learning a lot from @Fox and others here at the Fastlane Forum, excited to see this new section.

jLand1730

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Feb 11, 2018
California
Awesome! I am currently working my way through the Udemy course that was recommended. Starting from zero knowledge I have been able to learn so much in the last few weeks going through code acdemy and now udemy.

Excited to to be a part of this.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Been in the school for about 5 months, great value and have made some great connections with people from the Facebook group.

At the moment I'm really focussing more on doing a great job with my portfolio sites (mostly friends amd family) and just helping their sales as best I can. But if I had to put a figure out there my first goal is to get to 2k a month recurring. Then at 3k I can start looking at working on my own projects with the skills I've learned. I'm not trying to set up a monster agency, just enough that I can always be working on my own thing.

Took me a lot longer than I hoped to get to the level I'm at with wordpress/elementor/woocommerce and everything related to setting up a site like hosting, optimisation, email, security, APIs etc. But now I've reached a point where I'm desperate to move onto AdWords and on page seo/gmb optimisation. The last 10 to 15% of a site build is taking me so long that I'm trying to outsource it so I can move on. The plan going forward is to do this with paying clients as well until I can outsource the build completely. Although I do enjoy creating the initial layout.

Just gotta figure out a way to make it work financially with the remaining portfolio sites, otherwise I'll be in the same position now in 3 to 4 months.

Regardless, things are looking good. I can now build a great site for myself when need be at the very least.

Explorer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Aug 28, 2017
Earth
Firstly thanks MJ and Fox I think this thred will be a great addition to the many value filled threads on the forum.

My journey with web design is just getting started.
I have some experience with HTML/CSS through a few papers I opted for in university, although I have gained my bachelor in marketing I found the web design papers I had and paper around digital marketing were very interesting to me and also seemed to 'click' faster for me than other topics. I have just graduated last month and I am now looking to hustle this web design to see if it is for me. I have completed the codeacademy and udemy courses reccomended so I have a basic understanding of HTML/CSS itself but no real world experience building websites for clients.

My goal at the moment is to first complete two sites for clients in an ideal industry for free so I have a portfolio to show when I start charging. Ideally sites that will not take too long(1-3 pages). These sites will enable me in the future to showcase quality work for relevant future clients/businesses. A few of the niches I have websites bookmarked in are, accountants, lawyers, landscaping/builders( could move into construction after I get more xp), dentists.

I have been accumulating a list of websites/leads that fit my criteria to be contacted. I am going to finalise some super personalised cold emails, the goal of these emails will be to ultimately set a time for a call with the client. I am going to set a goal by this time tomorrow I want to have 8 emails set to go out the next day at 8am. Because I am still learning, it can feel like a juggling act, like getting the foundations right for for a house before you can put the frame up. I have been only learning for a while on this topic and I am going to start doing(while still learning).

Question regarding website pricing. @Fox or anyone else who can weigh in.

If I use a page builder for some sites. Would I work the price of Wordpress subscription, into the total price for the website. Or would I let the client know in my terms that their is a monthly maintenance cost and include the price for wordpress plan in maintenance plan? Or have the client cover the Wordpress subs?

Cheers
Explorer

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Tremendous idea. Will add a lot of value to the forum.

Well done @Fox.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Damn, I need to get my crap together enough to get my own sub forum haha

Good idea @Fox and keep being awesome!

Kane23

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
Aug 21, 2017
Bloomington, IN
Great idea! I have just started picking up the fundamentals of web design thanks to @Fox and can't wait to learn more.

Sashioni

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
367%
Jan 5, 2017
London
Just coming here to share my progress. Started just over 1 month ago. Got my first portfolio client, did their site in about 2 weeks and nailed it getting some great feedback. Got the first paid job after that ($150 or so). Got the 2nd paid job a week later (trade for trade worth about $600). Then another paid job last week (also about $150).

Now I'm set up, I've set goals for myself to get my first $1,000+ this month followed by generating recurring revenue through SaaS.

@Fox's system works. Just follow what he says and take some action. You'll make some frikkin mistakes but that's part of it.

Awesome to see web design getting its own sub forum btw. Kudos to @Fox!

Last edited:

MiLeung

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 13, 2018
I didn't think web design would be part of this forum cuz I didn't see it in either TMF or Unscripted . I started out as a developer, but I try to make my apps and websites look nice. I use calltoidea.com a lot for inspiration.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Great to see this here @Fox

I'm not a web designer myself.

After I moved overseas about a decade ago I found myself bored waiting on visas to clear. I decided to brush up on my web design skills which I hadn't used since the 90s. I was so out of date that the last time I'd designed a web page there wasn't such a thing as CSS. I taught myself that from scratch and then moved on to hacking on Wordpress and WP themes.

All casually, I had no entrepreneurial spirit back then. I was using these skills to maintain a blog and a couple of other hobby websites with no real ambitions behind them.

Around the same time I taught myself to get comfortable with a Linux command line and the bash shell. Eventually I got to a point where I was spinning up VPS servers and working as my own sysadmin.

Since then I went through the Sass revolution, and these days I'm keeping an eye on the newest CSSNext and PostCSS tools with all the crazy Javascript tools rolling out now. Some of it is interesting, most of it is overkill for the simple static pages and WP sites I run.

I don't want to be a web designer. But I might want to be a copywriter who builds nice-looking sales funnels, and also happens to have the skillset to install and maintain them on a fresh VPS optimized for security and loading speed (which I can do in under 10 minutes from the time you tell me the domain name you want).

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
I'm in @Fox Facebook groups and am also a student in his main course.
I have taught myself WordPress, HTML and CSS. I'm just now beginning to look for some clients in order to build my portfolio.

Hey welcome Dave.

There is a special section of the forum for new members to introduce themselves if they want.

Feel free to tag me too if you need any help.

michaelscheuren

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Apr 5, 2008
Escanaba, Michigan
Hello, really interested in joining the program, but have zero experience with coding, sales etc. Would love to learn it all to develop a web designing business as well as for my own websites. Is the program a good fit for me without the coding knowledge? Thank you

Michael

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland
Congrats Fox! It's a huge recognition from MJ to have it here.

So when is your book coming out? :D

Is the program a good fit for me without the coding knowledge?

It's fit for everyone (everyman) willing to do *some work.

I am one of the Fox's students and no coding knowledge is required. Even more, it's not the most important skill you will acquire or you need.

Check this one:

GOLD! - How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

My God! It's been almost 2 years already...

*by some work I meant a lot of disappointment, sweat, tears but fun too.

Last edited:

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
Hey @Fox,

I planned to sign up for your web school in the next 2-3 weeks once I finished up with the Udemy course that you listed. However, recently when I tried to view your site it directed me to a login screen with "You need to sign in or sign up before continuing." I don't see the option to sign up listed. Is registration currently closed?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox,

I planned to sign up for your web school in the next 2-3 weeks once I finished up with the Udemy course that you listed. However, recently when I tried to view your site it directed me to a login screen with "You need to sign in or sign up before continuing." I don't see the option to sign up listed. Is registration currently closed?

Just switching things over to Kajabi right now (from teachable). If you want to join just send me a PM and I’ll let ya know the options.

Thanks

Phillip Anderson

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Jul 6, 2018
I'm currently stuck between starting an SMMA or a web design company, or both at once. I started the SMMA part but I want to wait until I move back to the states in December/January because I'm more confident talking to clients in English if I have to talk to them in person. I've been learning HTML and CSS on Sololearn. It's pretty good so far. My fear about web design is that it seems like every company already has a website, but I guess most business sites aren't set up very well. Do you have any convincing arguments for why it'd be a better idea to get into web design (although I have no design skills, but that can be learned or outsourced) than starting a social media agency?

Hijena1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Oct 1, 2018
Germany
@Fox I am just getting started to read your GOLD thread and you got me pretty inspired already.
Thank you for spreading your knowledge with others.
"It isn't code and it isn't design - its solving problems and building sales. " - your words, really like that one.

Last edited:

Silver Silk

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
May 10, 2017
Birmingham
@Fox I've played around with a few ideas for the last few years had a little success here and there, but as a whole action faking. So ive decided I'm gonna code a blog that I'll post on to practice seo and start a seo company down the line, probably will be a few years before we start seeing results but "eventually, the time that was not spent on learning new skills will catch up with you, and the fall will be painful" Robert Greene.

So yh I need to add more skills to my locker and get serious I won't be 23 forever & life is getting on. Where would be the best place to start, with a udemy course? people have said good things about yours, so I gonna get on that tomorrow. Its currently 01.57, can't sleep cus I've been working nights and I have college tomorrow, need to be up for 6

GaryPhoenix

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Sep 24, 2018
USA
Yah! Happy to see this.

Web design as a hustle was how I got my start.

It paid my bills and allowed me to pursue my business ventures.

Happy to help others set themselves free from the job grind.

Absolutely! @Fox is an inspiration that led me to read both your books back to back in a couple days. Looking forward to following suit as a way to break free from the scripted life now and pursue other ventures only after this one has taken off. Already have done 3 sites so it is working!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.