The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can copyright or trademark be claimed over a username on a social network

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
So...I've came up with the best name ever for the brand I want to build.

Checked if .com domain was available - it was.
Checked if the domain was ever used in the past - doesn't seem like it.
Did a trademark search on multiple websites, for multiple countries - didn't find anything.

So all happy and excited, I log into Instagram to register the username, but it's taken. And there's a few more usernames that are some variation of it.

All of these accounts cover the same topics I wanted to cover. But none of them seem to do it like a commercial endeavor, or engaging in any sort of trade. More than anything, it looks like hobbyists.

Now, I don't particularly care about the username, I'd be happy with some variation. My question and my worry is:

If I build a big and profitable brand under this name, would these users have any legal basis to make any claims.

E.g.that they own the copyright on the name, because they have created it before me (their username is older than my domain registration).

Or that they did any trade under that name, and it's their trademark (this part I'm less concerned about, it really doesn't look like any of them does business with that name).

Or...any other claims.

For context, the name is comprised of plain words, nothing particularly unique.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
IANAL, and IP laws vary from country to country.

If you live in the US, according to the website of the U.S. Copyright Office, name, domain name, title, slogan, the name of a band, and other short phrases are NOT protected by copyright law. If a domain name cannot be copyrighted, I don't see how a username can.

So if you're sure no trademark is registered, there should be nothing to worry about.

In fact, I've seen the opposite happen a couple of times: where someone registers a trademark and then tries to claim existing (valuable) social media usernames that infringe on the recently registered trademark.

Like I said earlier, IANAL.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!