The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I will help you find a product to sell on Amazon

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'll drop this here. Here is a low volume niche for someone looking to start out.

There are definitely ways to stand out from most of the products here
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=aging+barrel

A good execution could probably pull $500-$1000 profit a month if you land in the top 5 for aging barrels.

Damn, that is a lot of competition for that product, with prices all over the place. I can’t tell from the photos how big that product is. So how would you stand out? I guess I would stand out by changing color of the barrels, probably making them look black.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I imported a product that I suggested in this thread btw:

I only did a small order of 5 units. I had a container coming from China anyways so thought I would just add it in my container.

I added 3 pictures, some lame copy as a placeholder. I also don't have the buy box and still sold 2 units. AND I'm already ranked on page 1 in my main keyword. I think this would be an easy sell with the buy box (using FBA).

Nice! I hope I gave that product a thumbs up or did I slam it and you proved me wrong?

TKDTyler

The Tea Guy
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
347%
Aug 25, 2014
Damn, that is a lot of competition for that product, with prices all over the place. I can’t tell from the photos how big that product is. So how would you stand out? I guess I would stand out by changing color of the barrels, probably making them look black.

If I were to try and differentiate, here are some options that came to mind (incoming brain dump):

1. I would start off with visual differentiation. Most of these are straight oak - I would attempt to target a section of the market that uses it for decorative piece while using it as an aging barrel. That means using different luxurious finishes/polish/gloss/bands/etc. The barrel is part of a story - help people tell the story of their whiskey.

This listing is attempting something similar: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BYF2TP/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

There are a lot of different sizes, just depends on what you are looking for. 2L looks to be the best seller ($60 versions mostly). This listing is a 5L using for aging large batches of alcohol. 2L is great for aging a bottle of your favorite scotch/whiskey.

2. Improve the leaking issues in a bunch of the listings.

3. Maybe create a more generalized, fun burn-in image. Instead of "tequila" or "rum," make it more playful.
Something people can relate to and laugh.

"The worlds best F*cking rum you'll never taste."

Really, just moving it from a tradition piece into a quirky, personable piece. You can see this in those wine glasses/coffee cups with random phrases on it. I hope that made sense, and I have no clue if it would work/sell well. Just another way to differentiate from what everybody else is doing.

4. Customized or luxury spiggot

All that said, the demand may not be worth the effort.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
Would love your feedback @biophase :innocent: :halo:

I have a product that has been on my mind for a bit now, but I'm hesitant/unsure if it's a solid one. Would love some feedback on it.

Here's the link

What I would improve based on feedback:
- add stop function (easy)
- reduce noise (unsure, would need to take it apart)
- improve looks to differentiate from competition (no decent real-life photos etc)
- Bundle with batteries
- Improve durability somehow.. loads of complaints.

Cons:
- Electric
- "low" search volume - 55K/month?
- 1 brand/person selling this, even though it's a product straight from alibaba (is this good or bad?) (I'm unsure if there is enough organic demand)
- Not sure if the margins are good enough ; guesstimate at ~53% profit using FBA calculator - buy around $2 - sell for $20
- Current quality is bad (but leaves room for improvement, so might a pro)

Pros:
- Easy improvement (bundle with battery & stop function)
- Only 1 other competitor
- Small product
- No huge MOQ (though I realize this is always negotiable)

Thanks in advance!

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Dogs become less agile as they get older, and a lot of them experience problems with their hips due to age and arthritis. That's why this product came up in mind:

A dog ramp
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754PHHKK/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

61OCDx0UQTL._SL1080_.jpg

Problem: Most ramps can be slippery. Some of them are made entirely out of plastic, which seems to give the worst grip of all. People report that they solve this by taping indoor carpets to the ramp instead.

Possible solution: Give the ramp some kind of knurled rubber surface to improve grip. Rubber, in order to make it more resistant to moisture and avoid a funky smell.

Problem: It's too steep for larger cars. Some ramps are too narrow and weak for bigger dogs to walk on them safely.

Possible solution: Different models for different types of cars? For example, a shorter ramp for sedans, and a longer ramp for higher SUVs? A more narrow ramp for small dogs, which is more lightweight as well. A wider ramp made out of stronger material for larger dogs.

Smaller issues found in reviews:

• If you leave it in the sun, ramps made in black material can get hot and burn a dog's paws. Solve it by making them in white or another reflective color.
  • People get mad because it's too expensive to return faulty product. Better return policy/guarantee? "You won't have to return it, we'll still refund you if you provide a photo of the problem"?

Last edited:

jimmeboy

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Nov 24, 2009
So this looks like a really good product to sell.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016P8K3W/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

A lot of reviews, but they are mostly negative.
Product needs customization, new design to make it work properly.
A TON of search volume.
Really stiff competition, but mostly from a different kind of product.
Lightweight, easy to ship and relatively cheap.

With a few modifications and improvements, you could sell it for $25-$30 or more I bet, as the only similar product worth a sh*t is selling for $60.

Solves a HUGE pain point.

Interesting one! The goldmine of negative feedback is your roadmap to success with this.

Didn't see a thumbs up or down for this yet (unless I missed it). What's the verdict @biophase ?

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
"Post pics of your latest purchase Pt 6"
Link -->> Misc.

This thread shows up a lot on that forum. Thought I'd drop it here. Try not to laugh on the second page! :rofl:

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
I recently started playing ultimate frisbee. Here are things I would consider buying for it:
1. After 2-3 hours I'm sweaty! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0728C52ZV/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
Could there be added value? I like the seatbelt cover. There is lot's of competition and people would need a reason to not just use their bath towel.
2. A plastic cleat brush. My cleats get caked with mud. I wouldn't want a bristle brush because that would have to be cleaned out. I like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079M6ZVNR/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 In other categories there are a lot of crappy brushes. There doesn't seem to be too many good products for "cleat scraper"
3. My calves are toast for the next 3 days after playing. This product almost makes me want to buy for myself, but I know I should avoid electronics: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZBY814/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
4. Also, I feel like I could use this right now: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZX1VKM/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20 But I wouldn't buy it to sell on amazon, could be a good ebay product. I sent a pricing message to an Alibaba manufacturer out of curiosity.

momomaurice

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Apr 24, 2017
Ireland
I found when using this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harris-731...006IMXQK0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8 at work that the twisty parts are very hard to turn when your hands are wet. When extending the pole out you also dont know where the pole ends so it often falls out and you have to place it back in.There is also gutter shoes that you need to twist on at the top that come loose when using it and is very annoying when you're on top of a ladder.
I was thinking this could be improved by removing the twist mechanism and putting in clips and also a clip at the top to keep the gutter shoe in. Then for extending it there would be a red warning label saying stop when you get close the end of the extension.
This product has good reviews but I think it could be improved even better. The gutter shoes are small and the pole fold down to about a meter and a half and the package sells for around £40.
How do you go about getting things like this made?

exclusives88

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
May 28, 2014
For anyone that is interested, I took the Rock Climbing Hang Board and did a test order of 10 units.

After the 4th sale, I was already at the bottom of page one of "hangboard" and "hang board". I sold all of the 10 units in roughly 35 days with 0 PPC.

I started selling them for $29.99 ( I did not even have the buy box in the beginning) and slowly increased to $52.99. All using FBM. Imagine the potential when using PPC and FBA.

I have to look back but I believe I bought them for $21 with nice white box and foam inserts. If someone wanted to do this, I would buy a lot more than 10 units and try to get the price down to $17. Like what biophase said, you wont get rich off this product but I can see you doing at least $1k in profits a month. I will take this down if someone wants to continue with this

annagreenang

New Contributor
Jul 6, 2018
Essex, CT
Ok, I'll give this a shot. Although I have little to no intention of following through with this particular item (that means it's ok to steal this idea), I think the process is what's important.

The Problem
I have 10 foot ceilings at my retail store. I am also responsible for changing the light bulbs, which are in recessed housings. So every time a bulb goes out, I have to drag a chair out (shhh, don't tell OSHA), hop up, and change it. I have also previously rented a house with recessed lighting in a 16 foot vaulted ceiling, which is out of chair range. I had to call the landlord and wait a week or two for the light to be replaced.

The Current Solution
There exists light bulb changers for high ceilings. Basically a long pole with an attachment at the end to grip the light bulb. Searching on Amazon, every listing looks the exact same, only different brands and different colors. They all have about 3.5-4 stars.

The Problem with the Current Solution
Looking through the reviews, I have identified several areas that could be improved upon.
1. No carrying case. Since the kits come with several attachments for different bulb types, a cheap case to keep everything together could be a good selling point.
2. No directions. A simple sheet with directions plus some youtube videos would add value.
3. Multiple complaints that the pole is flimsy. Use thicker aluminum and better plastic peices.
4. Pole is too short. It only extends to 11', so a 20' ceiling (or outdoor floods) would still need a ladder. Options are to make the pole longer (which increases weight) or an additional section that can be screwed on if needed.
5. There are reported problems that where the head attachment connects to the pole is pretty flimsy. Some customers have drilled a hole and put an additional screw in place to secure it.
6. Sometimes the head unscrews instead of the light bulb. Needs a better attaching mechanism (One that locks in place). This is the main complaint of 1 star reviews.
7. Some complaints about oddly angled light bulb outlets. I know there are screwdrivers you can get with variable angles, but I'm not sure if this is a big enough pain point.
8. Suction cup is too rigid to adhere to some bulbs. Use a more flexible type of plastic. Also, the head comes unscrewed with stubborn bulbs (see #6).

Anticipated Improvements
The major complaints are the flimsiness and how the heads come unscrewed instead of the light bulbs. Plan to use thicker aluminum for the construction. Also need to engineer a locking mechanism to hold the head to the pole. A cheap carrying case shouldn't add too much to the overall price, but provide a higher perceived value. Use a more flexible plastic for the suction cup.

Drawbacks
The major issue that could crop up is cost. Right now, Alibaba is selling these kits for around $6-$10 each. With the upgrades, I would think it would cost around $15 per kit to produce. The cheap kits retail for about $25, so this kit would be about 2x the cost ($50-$60) in order for it to make financial sense.

So, @biophase , what do you think? Is there potential here?
Thank you for sharing such helpful info. I appreciate it

kiwiana

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Apr 7, 2017
@biophase thanks for offering your insights. Learned a lot from this thread already.

Here's my product proposal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746DVP1J/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Big areas for improvement:
  • Huge opportunity to provide educational content, including videos, tutorials, coding samples. This particular brand's tutorial is terrible with typos and bad instructions.
  • Product is too complex. I bought this and spent 3 hours screwing it together before getting to the programming part. It can be simplified, using only 2 wheels, etc. This is a superior product in the design and achieves the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0733KRZ4V/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
  • Switching out the Arduino for a raspberry pi allows a graphical interface, connection to wifi, etc. which extends the projects possible. With raspberry pi you can ship SD cards preprogrammed with projects.
  • Modify the product and marketing to target girls whose parents want them to get into STEM
Smaller areas for improvement:
  • Color code the connections to make it easier to install and screw together

Why Electronics Kits?

Because there's a barrier to entry with electronics and programming knowledge. Since it's a kit, expectations are not as high as a laptop or smartphone. Plus, I can benefit from the Ikea Effect. My unfair advantage is my partner who tutors kids. He looked for a product on Amazon to support his tutoring and couldn't find anything simple enough to get going within 1.5 hours. He was frustrated by the complexity even though the existing kits are high quality and comprehensive in the parts.

He tells me there's a problem in the Arduino/Raspberry pi community where you only want 1-2 screws or a few inches of a certain part. But when buying, you often have to buy in bulk and get 1000 screws or 3m of a part. There are a lot of hobbyists who want to do these projects but don't want to get stuck with the surplus materials or aren't entrepreneurial enough to sell their extra parts. So they don't get started. Plus, it's simply a pain to source 50+ individual parts. So there's opportunity to build out a brand of other projects and provide the parts as a kit. There are a lot of accessories you can sell, etc.

Cons

The product itself is pretty expensive. I don't know how Elegoo is selling it for $65 unless they are trying to win on volume because that price might be close to cost. So I'd have to sell for a higher price, around $200?

Another con is Maker has a competing bot solving a lot of my above concerns, in this price range:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK5RUQY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
But I think there's still room to add value with the educational information and switching to a raspberry pi rather than Arduino.

Interested in your thoughts and other cons I haven't considered.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase thanks for offering your insights. Learned a lot from this thread already.

Here's my product proposal:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0746DVP1J/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Big areas for improvement:
  • Huge opportunity to provide educational content, including videos, tutorials, coding samples. This particular brand's tutorial is terrible with typos and bad instructions.
  • Product is too complex. I bought this and spent 3 hours screwing it together before getting to the programming part. It can be simplified, using only 2 wheels, etc. This is a superior product in the design and achieves the same thing: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0733KRZ4V/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
  • Switching out the Arduino for a raspberry pi allows a graphical interface, connection to wifi, etc. which extends the projects possible. With raspberry pi you can ship SD cards preprogrammed with projects.
  • Modify the product and marketing to target girls whose parents want them to get into STEM
Smaller areas for improvement:
  • Color code the connections to make it easier to install and screw together

Why Electronics Kits?

Because there's a barrier to entry with electronics and programming knowledge. Since it's a kit, expectations are not as high as a laptop or smartphone. Plus, I can benefit from the Ikea Effect. My unfair advantage is my partner who tutors kids. He looked for a product on Amazon to support his tutoring and couldn't find anything simple enough to get going within 1.5 hours. He was frustrated by the complexity even though the existing kits are high quality and comprehensive in the parts.

He tells me there's a problem in the Arduino/Raspberry pi community where you only want 1-2 screws or a few inches of a certain part. But when buying, you often have to buy in bulk and get 1000 screws or 3m of a part. There are a lot of hobbyists who want to do these projects but don't want to get stuck with the surplus materials or aren't entrepreneurial enough to sell their extra parts. So they don't get started. Plus, it's simply a pain to source 50+ individual parts. So there's opportunity to build out a brand of other projects and provide the parts as a kit. There are a lot of accessories you can sell, etc.

Cons

The product itself is pretty expensive. I don't know how Elegoo is selling it for $65 unless they are trying to win on volume because that price might be close to cost. So I'd have to sell for a higher price, around $200?

Another con is Maker has a competing bot solving a lot of my above concerns, in this price range:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SK5RUQY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
But I think there's still room to add value with the educational information and switching to a raspberry pi rather than Arduino.

Interested in your thoughts and other cons I haven't considered.

I like this idea a lot. In fact I had a friend who sells circuit boards that I was recommending that he gets into the space.

He would have a designer design a custom board and parts and it would be packaged as a kid to teach kids how to solder.

The plan was to create more and more complicated kids in the future. The first kids would’ve been a simple light sensing switch for LED clock with the more advanced kids getting into some robotics.

I like the barrier to entry on this product because you have to design your own kids and hire some experts to help create it. A lot of these things most sellers will not do.

kiwiana

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Apr 7, 2017
I like this idea a lot. In fact I had a friend who sells circuit boards that I was recommending that he gets into the space.

He would have a designer design a custom board and parts and it would be packaged as a kid to teach kids how to solder.

The plan was to create more and more complicated kids in the future. The first kids would’ve been a simple light sensing switch for LED clock with the more advanced kids getting into some robotics.

I like the barrier to entry on this product because you have to design your own kids and hire some experts to help create it. A lot of these things most sellers will not do.
Thanks for the feedback. Are there any pitfalls that you can think off based on your experience I should be on the look out for?

Redeye

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Aug 19, 2018
@biophase

Thanks for the great thread. Just finished reading through it and it’s sparked a research kick. I’m new around here, and I want to build capital before starting a larger project. I think Amazon might be the place to do it.

My first idea: Sports Climbers (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PDYBNY/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20)

Product:
These accessories fit over workboats to help climb trees by attaching to the leg and digging a spike into the tree to the tree for support.

Problem:
Most products fit only around the shoe and ankle. This puts the majority of pressure on the ankles and reviewers are reporting discomfort.

Solution:
Create a similar product that covers the shin and spreads the pressure from the ankles to the whole calf.

Opportunity:
Tree climbers could branch out into general climbing equipment and accessories not related to tree climbing.

These climbers are my first attempt at researching a product, so please be as harsh as possible with your feedback. I need to learn how to spot an opportunity.

Best,

Red

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
I would like to sell my seller account. I didn't invest time in selling and I found it a waste of time and money. If someone is interested I can state all the information I have, my product still has 159 stock.

pritom dey

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Sep 19, 2018
uk
Hay Biophase. I want to sell my own product in amazon by fba system.Can you please tell me the whole process ? or how can you help me to sell on Amazon ?

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hay Biophase. I want to sell my own product in amazon by fba system.Can you please tell me the whole process ? or how can you help me to sell on Amazon ?

Sure!

1) Go to alibaba.com
2) Find a product
3) Import product
4) List on Amazon
5) Profit
6) Buy Ferrari

vshetty.vs

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Sep 11, 2014
Pune
Sure!

1) Go to alibaba.com
2) Find a product
3) Import product
4) List on Amazon
5) Profit
6) Buy Ferrari

But I want a Lamborghini. What steps should I follow for that?

NaPal

Done > Perfect
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Apr 16, 2012
USA
All about that event

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtb_fanatic

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jul 1, 2015
I don't think anyone here is gonna go over the whole process for you. You will have to do a lot of searches on your own and put the puzzle pieces together. The previous 16 pages has a lot of information. If you are looking for a product to sell/make a profit, what value will that bring to the market?

AA1980

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 2, 2017
USA

Read the whole thread and take notes. It’s excellent stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomycoleco

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 17, 2017
Germany
Hello guys :),

I am still kinda new to this forum, but I have been reading a lot of threads for about 4 months.
I am from Frankfurt Germany and wanted to introduce myself and thank all of you guys for your great threads, help, replies and contribution. I am currently looking for a product to source for importing but this is my first time doing this. Even though I have read the whole thread I kinda feel confused on how to start ? What do you guys think about seasonal products like for example winter masks with cool designs and colors for the upcoming winter ?
Or what could you recommend to me ?
Like a easy product to just get a start and feel with ?
Thank you in advance.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.