The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
But the difference is you can understand it, haha
that’s not a great attitude to have... just start at the basics.

Science Daily - Fixed Versus Growth Intelligence Mindsets: It's All In Your Head, Psychologist Says

You gotta take Whatever 101 before you can understand Whatever 104.

I’m sure you can understand it if you started at the right level.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
The education of millionaires

$100 startup

It was okay. It was more of the "follow your passion" message. Sure these people quit their day jobs, but doing what i love just to get by is not part of what im trying to build.

Deep Work, by Cal Newport.
Thus far, it's outstanding

It would be helpful if you guys posted the cover/description of the book too

you don’t have to but i’m interested in what these books are

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Just finished Pre-Suasion by Cialdini. This is definitely one you have to listen/read twice.

What was striking about this book is that the sale happens before the sale.

Just like we used to think you made a sale by the words that come out of your mouth. Only to then discover, 80%+ was body language. Pre-Suasion is similar, in that the sale comes from the environment, and before you even utter a word.

For example, imagine 2 restaurants with the following names: Rue 17. House 37.

Both are of equal quality and value. However, customers are more likely to purchase a higher priced meal in House 37.

Or another example is increasing the price of food, to increase customer satisfaction. I noticed the Asian buffet in my town raised their prices by 77%. The place is more packed than ever. Same exact food and service. If you have the time, look up how buffets make money. It's fascinating. (Not an example in the book)

Likewise, you can trick people into success.

Simply putting up posters of someone winning a race, is enough to make the viewer more goal oriented.

Or...

How about marginalized groups? People who are under societal pressure to not do well in school? Well you can push their scores up without all the political trickery of padding results.

Again, put up a few posters, but this time of successful people who look just like them. I think we've known this for a while, just not applied to academics. If there is a task no one has been able to complete, then someone comes along and does it. Then soon after, other people start completing it as well. This is because they now know it can be done.

How about a principle that's related to current events?

Nike.

Pre-suasively, we give importance to what we're paying attention to.

And it's at an all time high:

upload_2018-9-8_11-6-40.png
While the controversy will hit them short term, (barely as we can see at the last candle), most people will forget by the next news cycle. However, those Nike connections in their head will strengthen.

upload_2018-9-8_11-7-33.png

More importantly, by the exposure effect, people who don't even care about what everyone is mobbing about, will subconsciously gravitate towards Nike. (Adidas who?)

D

Deleted50669

that’s not a great attitude to have... just start at the basics.

Science Daily - Fixed Versus Growth Intelligence Mindsets: It's All In Your Head, Psychologist Says

You gotta take Whatever 101 before you can understand Whatever 104.

I’m sure you can understand it if you started at the right level.
serves no purpose for me, I'm working on software design, not machine learning

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
For example, imagine 2 restaurants with the following names: Rue 17. House 37.

Both are of equal quality and value. However, customers are more likely to purchase a higher priced meal in House 37.
Why, just because of the higher number? Would Blue 99 attract even higher prices? Anchoring effect?

And re: Nike

I mean if I traded stock? I would be ALL over Nike. As far as I’m concerned that stock is just ‘on sale.’ It’s like if they started slashing the price of iPads by like 70%. Buy a F*ckload of them then once the sale is over and back to regular price throw them up on eBay.

That was Warren Buffet’s method in a nutshell.

Simply putting up posters of someone winning a race, is enough to make the viewer more goal oriented.

Is that covered in the book?

Michael1359

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 8, 2014
Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance. Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers. Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control. He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

Just ordered it yesterday, should get it Monday. From what I saw online, it’s excellent. Would you concur?

I’m almost done with Unscripted for the second time and will start the book on Elon Monday or Tuesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Why, just because of the higher number? Would Blue 99 attract even higher prices? Anchoring effect?

And re: Nike

I mean if I traded stock? I would be ALL over Nike. As far as I’m concerned that stock is just ‘on sale.’ It’s like if they started slashing the price of iPads by like 70%. Buy a f*ckload of them then once the sale is over and back to regular price throw them up on eBay.

That was Warren Buffet’s method in a nutshell.

The way he described it, people would buy around the $17 price marker in the 17 store. So anchoring would be my guess as well. However, he doesn't go into too much detail concerning the science. Plus, many of his studies are behind a paywall.

I mean if I traded stock? I would be ALL over Nike. As far as I’m concerned that stock is just ‘on sale.’ It’s like if they started slashing the price of iPads by like 70%. Buy a f*ckload of them then once the sale is over and back to regular price throw them up on eBay.

Nike’s online sales actually grew 31% from the Sunday of Labor Day weekend through Tuesday, as compared with a 17% gain recorded for the same period of 2017

From what I've been observing, it seems there's a right way to play outrage and a wrong way.

The right way, NIKE. You get people who aren't even your main target market to mob on social media.

The wrong way, EA. You enrage your own player base, by insulting them. As a result, Battlefield 5 Pre-orders are 85% lower than their closest competitor.

yup

Velocke

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
May 22, 2018
  • Crushing It! - Gary Vaynerchuk (audio): Trying to be open-minded on this one, but actually trying to become a "social media influencer" still strikes me as a shallow goal and an unpleasant life. I don't want to tell a bunch of people on the Internet what I am doing every day...but I'm pretty sure the key is just making it based around something you really WANT to share constantly with other people.
  • Furiously Happy - Jenny Lawson (audio): Funny, but definitely bordering on an annoying level of "LOL I'M SO RANDOM", especially as read by the author, who does an unfortunate amount of uptalking.
  • Built to Sell - John Warrillow: I really like this one so far. Uses a story about a guy wanting to sell his ad agency to go through how you create a business that does not depend on your constant presence and activity.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
Reading Viktor Frankl - Man’s Search for Meaning

Whenever I’m driving, I’m listening to Unscripted (basically on repeat)

Just finished Rise and Grind by Daymond John...thought it was so-so.
Victor Frankls short book is so moving and proof of the power of the mind. Absolutely a book that can change your life. Bloody read it if you haven't already.

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
I am heading to Petth city for my daughters graduation and buying 2 copies of Ray Dalios Principles, one for her and one for me so this arvo I am reading this.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Crushing It! - Gary Vaynerchuk (audio): Trying to be open-minded on this one, but actually trying to become a "social media influencer" still strikes me as a shallow goal and an unpleasant life. I don't want to tell a bunch of people on the Internet what I am doing every day...but I'm pretty sure the key is just making it based around something you really WANT to share constantly with other people.
I’ve met him. He’s a dick, imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Reading Viktor Frankl - Man’s Search for Meaning

Whenever I’m driving, I’m listening to Unscripted (basically on repeat)

Just finished Rise and Grind by Daymond John...thought it was so-so.

Good choices. Unscripted is the type of book you just keep on repeat. It’s like it’s to
Soup, A-Z entrepreneurial success.

Do you use Goodreads? If so send me your URL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I mean he’s not a dick dick.. he’s alright. Gave me his email.

This was a while ago...

When I met him he said he just got back from Italy.

This was a little after his fame with Wine Library TV and when he had just started writing books.

At this point he didn’t realize I knew who he was

So I said ‘did you try any new wines there?’

I think he said no, but I quickly hinted at him ‘did you try any wines... you know.. maybe make some YouTube videos?’ and he laughed when he realized i knew who he was.

So him and I spoke. I basically told him ‘you know it’s funny, i don’t drink wines myself, but I actually watch some of your videos... even though I don’t like wines, I like your approach. I like that you tell people to find their own palette and don’t let and trends or gurus decide which wines you should like... if you like a wine you should like it” and I think he appreciated that...

This was yearssssss ago but he was talking about building his new site and he was like “Yea, I’m kicking myself... one of my friends came to me with this brand new startup he wanted me to invest in called Uber that’s an app that helps you find taxi alternatives and I didn’t inverst and now they’re getting kinda popular in some cities.. i really should have.”

In retrospect... i, um... agree with him lol.

And we spoke a little about the Self Help industry and how the whole Positive Thinking movement is bullshit.

So actually he was pretty cool. I don’t remember what but there was something I saw him do that was a little dickish.

D

Deleted48496

I got this, but put it down as soon as he said "im not actually a millionaire". I thought, how are you going to teach me to become a millionaire, if you're not one...

How is it?

The guy is just an author from what I remember

I actually like it because the author has interviewed many successful like Eben Pagan (Someone who does $100k/day) in the book.

Not only that, he talks about his journey about how he found mentors, what skills are required to be successful, and much more.

Steven D.

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Sep 6, 2018
Hawaii
Sell or Be Sold - Grant Cardone

Fantastic book!

I've actually written my own workbook (Attached) based on my experience in selling.

It's amazing to see so many dedicated people in this thread.

I can only imagine the collective impact, each of us has made on this planet, with everything we've learned and applied.

Cheers,
Steve

Attachments

• Professional Persuasion Workbook.pdf
    824.6 KB · Views: 38

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Just finished Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance.

1) Brilliant ambitious guy who is a man on a mission to save the planet. Ancestry of explorers.
2) Had a childhood of awkwardness.(And getting bullied)

3) Likes to do everything himself so he has a problem with giving up control.

4) He's more of a modern day Thomas Edison/Nikola Tesla in they'll experiment and fail over and over again but they always eventually figure stuff out.

absolutely

1) masterminds are not on earth to be sheep in a controled society . i can't say too much because of political correctness since political correctness is more important than truth in our world

masterminds are on earth to think about the big picture . not to watch TV an insult intelligence

2) yes the stupidity of the masses is very annoying for masterminds

very very annoying

this is why a lot of masterminds have contempt fot the masses

because of the stupidity of the crowd , living like idiots instead of thinking about truth

3) yes because masterminds are above the crowd

you can't tell a private to do the work of a general !

people are not equal

4) absolutely

look at this picture and the quotations

intj.jpg

so the book i read are masterminds related because money is not the goal of life but a means

once you get the money, you have to get serious and live the right way above the crowd

you have 80 or 100 years on earth to honour human dignity and intelligence

not to be energy in a system for unknow masterminds above you

for example :

flight.jpg

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
"Liferay in Action - The Official Guide to Liferay Portal Development"

Published in 2011 ... guess I am late to the Party :-/ ... but this is something that I am planning to apply.
Plus, they have been confirmed as Leaders in the Gartner Magic Quadrant recently.

Next on my reading list is "Modern Java In Action - Lambda, streams, functional and reactive programming".

Both should be relevant for my new job AND my side projects.

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
I'm currently reading "The 10 X Rule" by Grant Cardone. Very motivational.

At the moment I'm reading "A House for Mr Biswas" by VS Naipaul - he died recently and I wanted to read this book for a while so it reminded me. It's fiction obviously and I'm starting to appreciate the role fiction has in creative thinking/stress management (ironically) because non-fiction especially before bed-time tends to make my mind whirr.

I haven't read The 10 X Rule but I was thinking over the weekend about this video by Tim Ferriss
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kD_NperbrE
(don't know if he's revered or loathed in equal measure on this Forum).

I understand how he says you need to ask "why?" a lot to break down what you are doing right/wrong/get metrics in place but what if you've done everything you can think of and your results are barely 1.5x never mind 10?! Have I missed something in what he's saying? I don't understand it. Also is the 10 X Rule book essentially the same thing - if so, I might read that in case it expands more on Ferriss's theory.

KeithWallace

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
254%
Jun 7, 2018
I
Started "Atlas Shrugged" from Ayn Rand a few days ago ... I've been told it is a must but I must say I will take some time to get to the end :)
Isn’t that the book that the first Bioshock game is based on?

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Started "Atlas Shrugged" from Ayn Rand a few days ago ... I've been told it is a must but I must say I will take some time to get to the end :)
Isn’t that the book that the first Bioshock game is based on?

There’s a lot to be learned about business from Ayn Rand. She’s a big time libertarian which is roughly in line with the views of this forum.

(Some people might deny that, but that’s definitely true)

And from what I understand Bioshock was a critique of Atlas Shrugged. More so painting a caricature of it rather than something the original author would agree with.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.