The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Author spent 5 years interviewing 177 selfmade millionaires to find their secrets. Findings inside.

Anything related to matters of the mind

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
These messages you posted are a direct contradiction of each other. First you say the person who did the survey is “wasting their time”, and then proceed to say; ‘millions of people are able to do what they love, as well as have successful careers.’

Did you perhaps consider the person who made the survey is ‘doing what they love’, or, God forbid they just wanted to provide the world with free knowledge.

No offence, but if you are in a mindset where you are complaining (or saying people are wasting their time), by providing you with FREE and insightful information, then you aren't going to get far.
Yeah, I’m really struggling. /s

And it really isn’t too insightful, just looks like more mental masturbation.

• Rich people read? No way!
  • Daily affirmations? I never would’ve thought!
  • Goals?! Now you’re just blowing my mind.
A couple more,
  • Rich people’s kids go to college? Impressive.
  • Rich people have a lawyer? That’s probably important.
  • Rich people have a will? Well, I suppose if you’re rich, you’ll wanna do something with that money after you die!
5 years interviewing 177 millionaires, could’ve been doing literally anything else.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Johnny Bravo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 20, 2018
US
Hmm... A very clear majority set monthly, annual, and lifetime goals. Does anyone else do this?

In any case, it is interesting to see how the mind creates a barrier to success.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hmm... A very clear majority set monthly, annual, and lifetime goals. Does anyone else do this?

In any case, it is interesting to see how the mind creates a barrier to success.

Yes I do. I set daily and hourly goals as well. I also have a written list of things to accomplish, in order of importance, in addition to defined goals. Sometimes things "to do" fall outside a specific goal, so my list helps.

If you want to achieve laser focus, and don't have a perfect memory able to operate at peak efficiency at any given time (and I can't remember anyone that does - pun intended!), this is the only way to achieve superior results. Maximize your time and your results will be magnified. It's really just that simple. Follow a plan with substantial and worthy goals, and you will enjoy uncommon success. I did not always operate this way, and I was not always aware of it, even. Had I known then, in my younger years, what I know now, I would be super successful today. I still will be - but I've had a lot of catch up to do to make up for the years I was arrogant and blind. Stop, listen, and learn from others! You don't even know what you don't even know (think that one over...)!

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017

I've only started doing this in the last 2 months.

It seems like a small thing but holy hell at the difference it makes. It is one of those things where you trust the process, see it working, and think to yourself, "boy, I was pretty stupid for not trying this out in the past when all these other high achievers swore by it".

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
Great quote.

And therein lies the essence of probability. The odds might be poor, but the more tickets you push into the game, the more likely you'll get lucky. All of these "rich habits" are simply more ways you can get more tickets into the game, hence, manipulating probability.

Also you get better each time you fail. So it’s actually even better than pure probability.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja

Johnny Bravo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 20, 2018
US
Yes I do. I set daily and hourly goals as well. I also have a written list of things to accomplish, in order of importance, in addition to defined goals. Sometimes things "to do" fall outside a specific goal, so my list helps.

I've only started doing this in the last 2 months.

I get the long term goal thing, but daily goals? Hourly goals? Even monthly goals are a bit odd to me. Can you guys give us a couple of examples to get the creative juices flowing?

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017
Oh I wasn't meaning to say I got into it as detailed as @Real Deal Denver does. My planning is only about as granular as the weekly level, and I keep a rolling list of 3-5 main action items on a daily basis. As long as the highlights get checked off I'm happy. I guess that's a kind of a daily goal, but it isn't a serious purpose in the way that a big 1-year, 5-year or 10-year goal would be.

TinyOldLady

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
Behind the stats is human emotion and motivation.

All of major corps capitalise on our needs as MJ said..well..he said finpd a need. He didnt say oil for cars, food, water. social(not very..its more my toy is bigger than yours syndrome), DiSTRACTION, health..

Us little lealee players...i would be content with 250K a year.

Loving the stats. Made me angry then made me want to get even.

Thank you

Seeker

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Dec 21, 2015
Germany
If you have a 1% chance, try 100 times.” - Saygin Yalcin

While trying 100 times will significally better your chances, this sounds a little bit like if you try 100 times with a 1% chance, your chance of succeeding is 100%. Which it isn't.

If you do the actual numbers, the probability of hitting that 1% is 1−(1−0.01)^100 ≈63.39%

That's tremendously better than a 1% chance, but it's still not even two thirds.
With 200 times it gets to a better 86,6%.
With 1000 times it's 99,99%.

So to be pretty sure: "if you have a 1% chance, try a 1000 times." ;)

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
While trying 100 times will significally better your chances, this sounds a little bit like if you try 100 times with a 1% chance, your chance of succeeding is 100%. Which it isn't.

If you do the actual numbers, the probability of hitting that 1% is 1−(1−0.01)^100 ≈63.39%

That's tremendously better than a 1% chance, but it's still not even two thirds.
With 200 times it gets to a better 86,6%.
With 1000 times it's 99,99%.

So to be pretty sure: "if you have a 1% chance, try a 1000 times." ;)

It gets better

The stats are 5% chance of success to start a business.

So 10 businesses = 60% chance of success

The problem with this is you assume 5% every time you start. When in reality, as more knowledge you acquire the higher your probability.

I can't find the stat, but it was something like explosive success usually happens on the 3rd business.

Manchild_Unbound

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jan 30, 2017
Colombia
FINDINGS CLIFFS

So I went through the list a few times and decided to post the findings that most stuck out to me and comment on them.

I might have skipped some that were note-worthy, so don't keep it to yourself if you think so.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.23.12 AM.png

This made me think back to Scott Adams and his book "How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big." In it, Adams recounts how he used affirmations throughout his life with great success and spends several chapters discussing why they work, making sense of them, and ensuring us that they don't work because of magic, but because of their effects on our psychology.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.23.29 AM.png
This is where we first see the differences in mindset between the rich and the poor. For a good part of my life, I've heard people around me lament how the American Dream just isn't possible any more--and of course they go to blame the rich, the 1% and other factors. It was only online and through authors like Scott dams and MJ DeMarco that I saw people who thought otherwise.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.23.42 AM.png
The rich come from all walks of life. Might be surprising for some, but I have always suspected this.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.24.21 AM.png
@ApparentHorizon mentioned the famous Marshmallow Experiment. I first heard about that experiment here:
https://leangains.com/the-marshmallow-test/

But besides the benefits of delayed gratification, it seems that discipline was a key to success. Victor Pride/Nick Kelly of Bold and Determined created 30 Days of Discipline with this in mind. He claims to have created and used it when he first started working on his blog which then the first successful product for Bold and Determined. Not only that, there have sprung up dozens of similar products since it came out. There is a market for these discipline bootcamps.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.24.33 AM.png
There is an entire cottage industry for knocking people from their pursuing their dreams. And it is not without justification. In Unscripted , MJ knocks at the pursuit of passions and loves as roads to wealth and freedom. But when it comes right down to it, those successful "dared to dream" and I have no doubt that they pursued their dreams with persistence, and a willingness to correct their course.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.25.03 AM.png
The successful are in control of their emotions. There are of course some famous exceptions(the tantrums of Steve Jobs and Jeffrey Katzenberg).
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.25.15 AM.png
I was surprised that this wasn't higher. So many success stories on this very forum are wrought with setbacks and failures including MJ DeMarco's. I'm not sure where I first heard that we "should celebrate glorious failure."
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.25.24 AM.png

Dale Carnegie wrote about the importance of being a good listener in How To Win Friends and Influence People. More specifically, he wrote that in one should show others sincere and genuine interest, which of course impossible without being a good listener.

I am also reminded of the argument settling technique created by self-made millionaire entrepreneur Marc Allen, which involves careful listening. He writes about it in The Type Z Guide to Success which I'll quote here:
The Argument Settling Technique
Arguments are just not an effective way to communicate. They do more harm than good. What happens during an argument? The people on both sides feel angry and frustrated because they're not beingheard, and yet neither of them is listening to the other one. As the argument escalates, anger completely takes over and people start saying things they don't even mean.

If you find yourself in an argument, go through the following steps:
  1. Shut your mouth and listen to the other person. Do not interrupt them -- you'll have your chance to speak next. Just listen to what they have to say, take it in, and accept it as being exactly what they need to say to you at that moment.
  2. Now it's your turn to express your thoughts and feelings. You've listened to them, without interrupting. Now ask them to listen to you without interrupting.
  3. Now it's their turn to respond. Listen without interrupting.
  4. Now it's your turn to respond.
  5. Ask what the other person wants from you.
  6. Tell the other person what you want from him or her.
  7. Negotiate and make clear agreements.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.26.01 AM.png
Every success book or program, starting with Think and Grow Rich, to The Strangest Secret by Earl Nightengale to nay derivative that regurgitates this, mentions writing down your goals, focusing on them every day, setting long and short-term goals, and to go after them with persistence and discipline.

Wrt obsession, here's something from Bold and Determined:
Obsession is the Only Thing That Counts - Bold and Determined

Now, going back to Scott Adams he has a unique view regarding goals -- he says that goals are for loser and that systems are superior to goals. Of course, what he means by that is not to set goals, but to change your habits and lifestyle so that achievement of goals become an inevitable outcome of the systems you set up:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skrYxCkisic

The only thing I don't understand is "Wishes and goals are the Same Thing." Just what does that mean?

Anyway, To Be Continued...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.25.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.25.35 AM.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
The only thing I don't understand is "Wishes and goals are the Same Thing." Just what does that mean?

As far as i understand it:
Sure, i would live in a big mansion on top of a hill overlooking the rest of the country with 50 supercars in the garage and all that stuff. But i think a house somewhere near a beach and a decent car would do it aswell.

I sure would like to own a giagantic yacht and travel the world but i think a small boat or a ship cruise for some time would do too.

Or owning a private jet vs. owning a small plane.

I think all of us can dream (wish) big, but it isn't necessarily what's the most satisfying if it came to live.

BreakAlive

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Mar 1, 2018

Wishes here means just a thought of wanting something. It's more of a once off thought without necessarily having a plan towards achieving it. A nice to have - but I'm not going to put in any effort.

Goals on the other hand are something you're taking action towards and think about regularly.

Manchild_Unbound

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jan 30, 2017
Colombia
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.26.19 AM.png
Interesting...
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.26.48 AM.png

You've certainly heard that over 90 percent of all businesses fail within five years after they've opened their doors. Most of these failures have one thing in common: they don't keep good records.. in other words,they don't pay attention to their accounting.
But my interpretation here isn't just that you hire a CPA eventually, it's that one should be aware about the BASICS of accounting and the importance of financial controls, both in business and in every day life.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.27.02 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.27.25 AM.png

Being and staying in good health and being fit is a crucial part of happiness and of living a good, productive life.
Fitness trainer Alexander Juan Antonio Cortes puts everything I'm thinking about into words beautifully:

The US obesity rate is currently 1 in 4, the Overweight rate is 3 in 4, diabetes 2, metabolic syndrome, alzheimer's, non alcoholic fatty liver disease, dementia, depression, anxiety, have all gone up, testosterone levels has dropped, obesity related health complications are in the hundreds of billions,

Gravity is going to wear you down, and you cannot stop it. The more muscle you have, the better your quality of life as you age. Do not neglect any part of yourself.

Occasionally the questions arises of whether building muscle is that important. YES, it is. Being muscular confers the following benefits:
  • Reduces rates of cancer by 50%-How can this be? Because having muscle means you; move a lot, metabolize glucose, stimulate the brain, work the muscles and bones, and generally live a better lifestyle. Just by doing that, you eliminate most "western diseases" that the average american is at risk for
  • Doubles the odds of surviving cancer-stronger people are harder to kill. More muscle=stronger immune system=more powerful healing response=harder for cancer to kill you because your body is better fighting it and recovering from chemotherapies
  • Prevents and mitigates osteoporosis and osteoarthritis-working muscle tissues also stresses bone. Bones get denser and stronger as an adaptive response. If you don't stress your muscles and bones, they will weaken with age.
  • Improves muscular and joint range of motion, and maintains range of motion-You are in a lifelong fight against gravity. Movement is use it or lose it. If you want to be able to move, you have to resist gravity, and that's what muscle is for. The less muscle you. the weaker you are, the more crippled you become as you age
  • Decreases incidence of high blood pressure and heart disease-the improvements in central and peripheral bloodflow are immense. Your body is a use it or lose it machine. When blood flow diminishes, cells become less oxygenated, disease develops. Keeping blood flowing keeps your body "efficient" in its oxygen usage and keeps the heart healthy
  • Decreases incidence of diabetes and Improves Insulin Sensitivity=Type 2 diabetes is when your body can no longer metabolize blood sugar properly, and becomes insulin resistant. Too much sugar and insulin make you VERY unhealthy. Muscle tissue uses blood sugar when it contracts
When you have a lot of muscle, that you use often, being diabetic is largely impossible
  • Improves mood-working the muscles is working the brain. The "endorphins" released plus the increase in testosterone has a direct effect on the brain. Mood=hormones. Feel good hormones make you feel good
  • Improves memory-learning new movements and creating new motor patterns uses multiple regions of the brain, which has a beneficial effect overall on keeping working memory "fresh" by constantly stimulating new grey matter formation
  • Improves focus, as training muscle requires both right side and left side brain functionality and stimulation. This develops better cognitive focus in the areas of the brain responsible for concentration and memory (their studies on this are endless)
  • Can improve erectile dysfunction=stronger pelvic floor muscles in men=improved penile bloodflow=stronger erections
  • Can improve pelvic floor musculature and sexual health in women-the research on this undeniable. Women with stronger pelvic floor muscles have easier childbirths, better orgasms, and are less likely to get incontinence as they age
  • Improves clitoral bloodflow-more bloodflow equals more sensitization equals increased neurological innervation=better orgasms
  • Reduces mortality risk from traumatic physical events=Muscular people are harder to kill, and are more useful in general.
  • Increases lifespan=See all of the above reasons

Also, for what it's worth, MJ DeMarco himself is in great shape.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.27.58 AM.png
The rich aren't wasting much time.
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.28.10 AM.png
The perfect opportunity to post this compilation of Eric Cartman from South Park:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0IXsACBRco

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.28.23 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.28.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.28.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.28.50 AM.png
"Good habits create opportunity." Aristotle lectured and wrote about that in The Nicomachean Ethics back in 350 BC.

I find it amazing that many people truly and honestly believe that acquiring wealth is nothing but luck. Sad!

As for maintaining a to-do list, that seems to be the same thing as having daily goals.

Last edited:

Manchild_Unbound

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Jan 30, 2017
Colombia
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.28.59 AM.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4u-2Yp6bRc

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.29.20 AM.png
Here's a video from someone who thinks Networking is bullshit; that is just a$$-kissing and brown-nosing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRqyR9PY2gY

And here's a book that is considered a networking bible:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H6JBFOS/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.29.36 AM.png
See "maintain a to-do list"

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.29.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.30.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.31.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.31.28 AM.png
I love it how the author specified on reading for entertainment.

Rich and successful people read in order to gain a better understanding about their work, humanity, and themselves.

Wrt to reading books, here's a great quote from MJ DeMarco :
The absolute best book you must read is actually the book that will help you solve the problem that sits in front of your face.

Then there is how many try to improve their vocabulary. I'm sure that they also try to improve their grammar. One of the most famous and successful ads had the headline Do You Make These Mistakes In English? One of the appeals in the ad's body copy was about social status and career advancement:
Finally, he (Sherwin Cody) discovered that twenty-five typical errors in grammar constitute about nine-tenths of our everyday mistakes. When one has learned to avoid these twenty-five pitfalls, how readily one can obtain the facility of speech which denotes the person of breeding and education... Those who take advantage of his method gain something so priceless that it cannot be measured in terms of money. They gain a mark of breeding that cannot be erased as long as they live. They gain a facility in speech that marks them as educated people in whatever society they find themselves. They gain the self-confidence and self-respect which this ability inspires. As for material reward, certainly the importance of good English in the race for success cannot be overestimated. Surely, no one can advance far without it.

Also, here's something from the aforementioned Scott Adams book. He lists some common grammatical errors, and mentions that people will judge you, and make negative assumptions about your education and upbringing if you make them:

If I Were…
When talking about a hypothetical future, use 'were' instead of was. For example, say, 'If I were you..." instead of "If I was you."

"I" and "Me"
The simple rule for I and me is that the sentence has to make sense if you removed the other person mentioned in the sentence. For example, if you say, "Bob and I went to the movie," it would make sense if you removed "Bob and" and said, "I went to the movie." If the sentence is "Please give the documents to Bob and me," you can remove "Bob and" and it still makes sense as "Please give the documents to me." Less than 20% of the English-speaking population gets this right.

"Less" or "Fewer"
For example: "I have less friends than before." When the subject is plural, as in "friends" you use "fewer": I have fewer friends than before. You use "less" for things that are singular like hair or water. It is correct to say "I have less hair than before." If you are referring to individual stands, you would say, "I have fewer strands of hair than before."

Hopefully

"Theory" vs "Hypothesis"

A theory is a scientific explanation of reality that is so well tested that it is as good as fact. The correct term for an unproven and untested explanation is 'hypothesis.'

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.30.29 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.30.51 AM.png
The findings on saying what's on their mind and gossip is good to know.

As for the other findings, I'm sure you have all heard what has now become a cliche "You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with." And how true it is!

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 11.31.44 AM.png
Ties back in with "100% of rich people have a CPA" and what I said about financial controls.

Brendan8450

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Jun 29, 2018
Leeds, UK
SELF before BUSINESS

Its all numbers.

Numbers are not in your control!! ..isnt the idea of this forum to sway us from that ideology?? for us to create an ideal for ourselves..then maybe after that copy the media noddy dolls we love to hate
I gate crashed on here. Just sharing my thoughts.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
This is the Jaw Dropping Report of Wealthy People

DAMN! I am gonna PRINT THIS

Thanks ChrisV - I appreciate you man!

guy93777

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jun 5, 2019
only 1% below 40, since this the demographic a lot of us are aiming for, im dissapointed.

come on,

even Napoleon Hill says in his book TAGR that people rarely achieve anything worthwhile before age 40.

people under 40 don't even know what they really want in life. they are still brainwashed by society

they have no real understanding of life , yet . if at all

a french author even says that life really begins at age 50 .

translation :

" life begins at age 50 ! the best is ahead ... "

Last edited:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
come on,

even Napoleon Hill says in his book TAGR that people rarely achieve anything worthwhile before age 40.

people under 40 don't even know what they really want in life. they are still brainwashed by society

they have no real understanding of life , yet . if at all

a french author even says that life really begins at age 50 .

translation :

" life begins at age 50 ! the best is ahead ... "

View attachment 25247

guess ill find out at 50

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
This is an intresting thread,outside of the biblical meaning, I'm unsure what is meant by apostles though,which are something listed as most rich/self made people having.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.