The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to Learn Code, Start a Web Company, $15k+ per month within 9 months

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
If I was just getting started again, here's how I would go about it.

1. Find a notable company in a larger industry with a poorly designed website.
  2. Find the decision maker and "try" to get authorization to redo their website... TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE. If they like it, they can use it.
  3. If you can't find the decision maker, DO IT ANYWAY.
  4. Redesign the website.
  5. Make sure it is your best work, and a clear improvement over the original website.
  6. Email the entire upper management the link of the new website -- reiterate that it is FREE and that you will change anything they want.
  7. Once they see the work and realize it is FREE, they will probably accept it.
  8. Now you have your first client -- giving you the ability to say "We recently redesigned XXX's website." -- giving you social proof with a notable company. Now you can look to start charging. If not, repeat.
  9. The above can be done for APPS as well. (I noticed you didn't have a mobile app?)
  10. At some point, it will become easier and easier to find paid work.
  11. Pick color of Lamborghini. ;)

Applying these steps starting NOW.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
I have posted this before elsewhere but getting sales is 60-80% of running a web design company. Learn how to do it yourself and you will aways be in work.

I am not against the above service, although $5250 is a decent chunk of change, but start off learn how to sell yourself.

One of my favorite parts of doing this whole thing is the fun of selling sites. I like knowing a few minutes on the phone could be worth 5 figures in income.

First of all Fox, awesome thread and congratulations on your success.

I'm just curious, if you think running a web-design company is 60-80% sales, why would you do websites yourself?

Wouldn't it make more sense to outsource the work and just get really good at sales instead of learning how to code and trying to make a site yourself

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
First of all Fox, awesome thread and congratulations on your success.

I'm just curious, if you think running a web-design company is 60-80% sales, why would you do websites yourself?

Wouldn't it make more sense to outsource the work and just get really good at sales instead of learning how to code and trying to make a site yourself

That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. In fact I’m about to start selling for others too and create more of a sales agency service. Once it’s up and running I’ll post more details.

The last 5+ projects I’ve been involved in I haven’t done any coding.

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
That’s exactly what I’ve been doing. In fact I’m about to start selling for others too and create more of a sales agency service. Once it’s up and running I’ll post more details.

So do you think you don't need to know any code to have a successful web design business? Or just the basics so you can communicate with your outsourcers more effectively?

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India

Hi @Fox, I am starting this business today. It was in my mind since 1 year but never started(action faking) as i was scared and people have told me this business is saturated.

This is the first time i am starting any business. Right now i am working 9-5 as web developer. But trying to come out of this life and do something. I have done freelancing and have 3-4 small projects under my belt.

I have recently joined the forum so there is lot to learn, but i think instead of waiting, i should just start.

Yesterday, i have finalized a business name. Today i am researching for a niche(s) to target. I have 1 lawyer in my mind to target who is friend of my Dad. I will design website for him(free) this week and present to him this weekend.

These are my starting plan and nothing after that.
@Fox, @Andy Black & @MustImprove , can you please give some motivation, some tips for starters, how to sale better and other things which could help me in the journey.

One question i would like to ask to clarify my doubts: How can i add values in this?

I don't want spoon feed, just a helping hand :)

I am very excited and scared right now. This is the First time i am starting something. Wish me Luck(?).

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
This is a great start.

This is what I like doing:

Thankyou @andyblack. Just read this thread. It is awesome. I will be doing that.

I usually have mindset to help if someone asked. I help them without any benefits. But right now as i am starting out, i am having constant thoughts of "Money", "Benefits" or "Me" eccentric. I really want to add values and help people as i usually do but now i am having these thoughts. Don't know why. Is it because this involves money or business?

Getting a correct mindset is very important. This i know and understand. What to do? Any advice, quote you can recommend? (is this stupid question / action faker?)

Andel

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 13, 2018
Warsaw, Poland
Getting a correct mindset is very important. This i know and understand. What to do? Any advice, quote you can recommend? (is this stupid question / action faker?)

I think you have some unnecessary doubts concerning steps you are trying to take. To me, if you want to get rid of them, just get down to work and do not worry. Keep in mind that you are going to help other person which is natural. It is nothing new in your life.

Good luck and do your best!

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi @Fox, I am starting this business today. It was in my mind since 1 year but never started(action faking) as i was scared and people have told me this business is saturated.

This is the first time i am starting any business. Right now i am working 9-5 as web developer. But trying to come out of this life and do something. I have done freelancing and have 3-4 small projects under my belt.

I have recently joined the forum so there is lot to learn, but i think instead of waiting, i should just start.

Yesterday, i have finalized a business name. Today i am researching for a niche(s) to target. I have 1 lawyer in my mind to target who is friend of my Dad. I will design website for him(free) this week and present to him this weekend.

These are my starting plan and nothing after that.
@Fox, @Andy Black & @MustImprove , can you please give some motivation, some tips for starters, how to sale better and other things which could help me in the journey.

One question i would like to ask to clarify my doubts: How can i add values in this?

I don't want spoon feed, just a helping hand :)

I am very excited and scared right now. This is the First time i am starting something. Wish me Luck(?).

For now just focusing on finding a real business to help and doing the best job you can first time around. This is the biggest goal you can set at the start and will make everything else easier from that point onwards.

One real business - one great website.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I think you have some unnecessary doubts concerning steps you are trying to take. To me, if you want to get rid of them, just get down to work and do not worry. Keep in mind that you are going to help other person which is natural. It is nothing new in your life.

Good luck and do your best!

Thankyou @Andel . You are right. Just get down to help.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
One real business - one great website.

Perfectly said. Yes that's what i should put a goal. What i am missing is goal right now. Thanks @Fox for advice.
I researched some elevator making companies and they have outdated websites. I will be try to connect with one of them and offer upfront help.
Maybe i should start my Progress thread?

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Perfectly said. Yes that's what i should put a goal. What i am missing is goal right now. Thanks @Fox for advice.
I researched some elevator making companies and they have outdated websites. I will be try to connect with one of them and offer upfront help.
Maybe i should start my Progress thread?

Ya for sure and tag me in if you wish. Best of luck.

Everyman

Get To The Choppa!
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 31, 2015
Ireland

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Hey BlackMagician

it struck me there - if I may advise you. It's in the Unscripted book anyway, but if you haven't read it. Don't look for goals or you will fail quickly. Look for habits.

Habits Guide: How to Build Good Habits and Break Bad Ones
Thank you @Everyman
Yes i have started building good habits which is improving me day by day. For Health i follow Stronglift exercise, cold bath etc.
I am also following Morning ritual's SAVERS habits. This is just improving me or should i say unleashing the real me.

Wake at 5-6. Make bed. Write Morning pages. These habits are just too good.

Thanks for the advice sir. I haven't read Unscripted yet as i have just started TFM. I will read that too.

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit

Hi Fox,

Where do you purchase templates? I noticed the themeforest link in your original post, but the websites are $700-3200 for the extended license.

For instance, the template you linked says $19, but it's $850 if you want to sell it to a customer.

Do people actually pay $850 for the full license?

Last edited:

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
@Mazzolini

Let me help you quick:

screen-shot-2017-08-25-at-21-24-39-png.16053

Licenses | ThemeForest

I always pay regular licenses. Always.

I buy the theme each time I do a new job though. I have probably bought some over ten times.

AdrianB

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jul 24, 2018
Romania
I've just receive a request to quote three projects. My portfolio is composed by four projects. I have no experience yet on the quotations as the first websites were realized for free.

These are the three projects I have to quote. Can you help a bit with the prices, please?
1. There is already a domain and hosting bought. They need the website template and the design for a handyman services websites. I put the price approx. between 250-300 euro plus the template price. What do you think?
2. They need domain, hosting, template for a real estate website where the users can reserve rooms (like a booking website). I would say between 350-700 euro plus the domain, hosting, template. Also would say 100 euro for a SEO package which include website added to google business, fb, instagram pages with some content and a maintenance package of 100 euro yearly.
3. This is the biggest, they want something similar to AirBnb.
I have no idea how to quote this because it is something big. Would say starting with 800 euro but may need to involve some knowledged webdesigners/programmers to get this done so the price may increase.

What do you think?

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
@AdrianB

What value are providing in the end? How much more sales will the handyman services make when you've optimized their site? If they'd make 50.000 € more a year just by you optmizing their homepage for sales i think it's fair to take 10% of that, because the upside is much higher for them.

But for you to do this you would really need to know what your customers wants.

Have you read this? https://www.freshbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/breaking-the-time-barrier.pdf

As for sales, i found Fox's videos very helpful:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O1lQ6pM9s

If you still can't price yourself, maybe you can estimate how many hours it would take you to do these websites and apply a hourly rate of let's say 40€ to get an estimated price basis to work with.

From a first glance your prices look very low to me.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Hi @Fox,

Sending my first email today. can you please check and critique on the improvements?
I am little anxious though :D
here it is:

Hi XXX,

I am Zaf from Fake Solutions. I have found about your company while searching “elevator repair (city)” on internet. Your website (http://xxxxxx.com/) ranked quite high on 8th rank.

I think your website has a lot of potential for improvements. You have a lot of great past reviews and proof or results that would be great to show off on your website.

Some of the improvements which could bring more jobs:

1. Modern and friendly design.
  2. The contact details are not clear when seen on mobile. You could shift the details at the top/bottom of the page for user.
  3. Showing off some great photos of the work you have done along with your services. For e.g- Photos of workers repairing/installing the elevators or Your Company brand with it.
  4. You could ask your clients to give feedbacks and add them to your website which create trust and help others understand how good you are in this industry.
  5. You don’t have any google business page. You can register your company on google where you can add your details and map address which people can use to contact/ visit you using map.
  6. You are using a flash video on home page which doesn’t work on mobile. Today generation search online for anything they need through mobile. Replacing that with simple Youtube video can let them see your services in detail.

With little fixing, your website could generate more lead/jobs per year.

I’m a local business owner in the area (local) and help businesses to increase their sales online.

I saw a potential fit between our businesses and would like to have a conversation with you for 5-10 mins.

I will be calling you in next 2days or you can contact me directly on XXXXXXX.

Thanks & regards

Zaf

--------------------------

I am starting to send emails from today and cold call tomorrow. Feeling little anxious and excited. To me its easy to sell face to face rather cold call.
Thanks

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit
@AdrianB

What value are providing in the end? How much more sales will the handyman services make when you've optimized their site? If they'd make 50.000 € more a year just by you optmizing their homepage for sales i think it's fair to take 10% of that, because the upside is much higher for them.

But for you to do this you would really need to know what your customers wants.

Have you read this? https://www.freshbooks.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/breaking-the-time-barrier.pdf

As for sales, i found Fox's videos very helpful:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5O1lQ6pM9s

If you still can't price yourself, maybe you can estimate how many hours it would take you to do these websites and apply a hourly rate of let's say 40€ to get an estimated price basis to work with.

From a first glance your prices look very low to me.
THank you for that video, that was great!

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit
Hi @Fox,

Sending my first email today. can you please check and critique on the improvements?
here it is:

Hi XXX,

I am Zaf from Fake Solutions. I have found about your company while searching “elevator repair (city)” on internet. Your website (http://xxxxxx.com/) ranked quite high on 8th rank.

I think your website has a lot of potential for improvements. You have a lot of great past reviews and proof or results that would be great to show off on your website.

2. The contact details are not clear when seen on mobile. You could shift the details at the top/bottom of the page for user.
  3. Showing off some great photos of the work you have done along with your services. For e.g- Photos of workers repairing/installing the elevators or Your Company brand with it.
  4. You could ask your clients to give feedbacks and add them to your website which create trust and help others understand how good you are in this industry.
  5. You don’t have any google business page. You can register your company on google where you can add your details and map address which people can use to contact/ visit you using map.
  6. You are using a flash video on home page which doesn’t work on mobile. Today generation search online for anything they need through mobile. Replacing that with simple Youtube video can let them see your services in detail.

I’m a local business owner in the area (local) and help businesses to increase their sales online.

I saw a potential fit between our businesses and would like to have a conversation with you for 5-10 mins.

Thanks & regards

Zaf

I am starting to send emails from today and cold call tomorrow. Feeling little anxious and excited. To me its easy to sell face to face rather cold call.
Thanks
My 2 cents.. add something about the site not being mobile friendly and how it hurts your ranking if your site is not optimized for phones. Fox told this to his customer in the Skype call above.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hi @Fox,

here it is:

Hi XXX,

Thanks & regards

Zaf

Thanks

It reads like most other emails people would be sending. Try condense it down - why should they care and what can you help with?

If you were in a room with the business owner is this what you would be saying?

Mazzolini

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Feb 13, 2017
Detroit
Hey @Fox,

When you said in the Sales call video above “the customer will have all the rights to the website and not be locked into a rate” do you mean that you send them the website files after the sale and pay for the server cost out of pocket?

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
It reads like most other emails people would be sending. Try condense it down - why should they care and what can you help with?

Nope. I won't say all these. I will start casually, ask about there business, process. Find about there pain points. Give solutions.
Is this right approach?

Last edited:

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Nope. TE="Fox, post: 715065, member: 33771"]It reads like most other emails people would be sending. Try condense it down - why should they care and what can you help with?

Nope. I won't say all these. I will start casually, ask about there business, process. Find about there pain points. Give solutions.
Is this right approach?[/QUOTE]

Ya, try use that mindset with emails. People want to know they are taking to a real person > not a template sales email.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Hey @Fox,

When you said in the Sales call video above “the customer will have all the rights to the website and not be locked into a rate” do you mean that you send them the website files after the sale and pay for the server cost out of pocket?

It just means I don't charge any hidden fees or ongoing costs. I like the clean one off deal that doesnt lock them in.

But I never pay hosting. That gets set up in their name.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
I can't recall from this thread, but have you ever shared your favourite templates from Themeforest? And if not, would you mind sharing them? I do know Sartre is on the list though :)

L457dwj

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Aug 31, 2018
Is this still really a business? Building websites for companies?
Like there are so many other cheaper options (Wordpress etc.). Companies can set this up in like 2 days with less costs?

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Like there are so many other cheaper options (Wordpress etc.). Companies can set this up in like 2 days with less costs?

You think that all company owners suddenly have the skills and take their time to setup a WP site (if they even know what it is)?

Besides, there's a huge difference between being online with just a site and having a website that gets you sales. Making websites used to be a technical thing, done by geeks after their working hours. But these days it's way more psychology and UX.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
689%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

The business who can or would do that is exactly the type of business you don't target.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.