The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy a float tank. Change your life.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Another realistic review and what to expect, tips, tricks and no BS information.

Done few floats now.

Like I said before, if you DO NOT ALREADY MEDITATE, any benefits of doing this will take a long time, it's a process.

This isn't like smoking a joint or having a couple shots of whiskey, the effects are subtle, and will take a few times to understand or notice anything OTHER THAN perhaps a relaxed feeling afterwards.

This is nothing more than a "better form" of meditation.

If you have trouble meditating...

If you tried floating once or twice but had trouble "doing nothing"...

If you "dont know what to do" while floating...

You should do it more.

Do not shave the day of, do not move once your floating, the longer the better, 1 hour isn't enough in most cases, do not expect ANYTHING, do not touch any part of your body while floating, make sure your face is completely dry when you go in, wear ear plugs...

...do not F*ck with the salt water you will have a miserable time if it gets in your eyes. And it's difficult NOT to get it in your eyes.

You should honestly meditate ( first learn what meditation is, what it actually is ) every day for a month before trying out floating.

Have fun.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Irish Guy

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 1, 2015
I've said it many times to all my friends, something similar to this changed my life! When I lived in Ireland I was living on the top of a mountain with amazing views and no neighbours or noise, I bought a hot tub just to because it seemed like a cool idea, I got a deal on a display one and it only cost $4-5k I think, I had it set at 37 degrees which is body temperature and I expected it to be more of a novelty than anything else. I ended up using it religiously every night under the stars (usually on my own without any of the bubbles or water jets) and it was exactly as floating is being described here. I'd completely lose my awareness of my body and go into a deep meditative state of clarity and focus, some nights I had amazing experiences, others it was harder to stop my mind racing. This thread has convinced me to do a float so I'll be able to compare and report back but the hot tub for me was the best thing I ever bought.

I wouldn't recommend an audio book, the way I used to describe it to people before I knew about floating was by asking when was the last time they were completely alone with their thoughts, no outside stimulus. So much of our lives is spent reacting to demands or stimulus and on auto pilot running around busy, floating gives you that chance to really digest everything and think about it deliberately, I find that after all the thoughts have been digested and dealt with then (sometimes) the complete clarity or calm comes.

croman

not a humanoid(wage-slave)
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Another realistic review and what to expect, tips, tricks and no BS information.

Done few floats now.

Like I said before, if you DO NOT ALREADY MEDITATE, any benefits of doing this will take a long time, it's a process.

This isn't like smoking a joint or having a couple shots of whiskey, the effects are subtle, and will take a few times to understand or notice anything OTHER THAN perhaps a relaxed feeling afterwards.

This is nothing more than a "better form" of meditation.

If you have trouble meditating...

If you tried floating once or twice but had trouble "doing nothing"...

If you "dont know what to do" while floating...

You should do it more.

Do not shave the day of, do not move once your floating, the longer the better, 1 hour isn't enough in most cases, do not expect ANYTHING, do not touch any part of your body while floating, make sure your face is completely dry when you go in, wear ear plugs...

...do not F*ck with the salt water you will have a miserable time if it gets in your eyes. And it's difficult NOT to get it in your eyes.

You should honestly meditate ( first learn what meditation is, what it actually is ) every day for a month before trying out floating.

Have fun.

If you look over my posts and read one by one...there is no bs in what I'm saying.

I think you are truly over simplifying your description as it being NOTHING more "than a better form of meditation".

And you saying:
"any benefits of doing this will take a long time, it's a process".
I don't think this is true either.

the benefits are outstanding for mind body and spirit.

Meditation in the tank is also truly awesome... It brings you from novice/beginner level to intermediate advanced levels in record time. Within my first 2 floats I was DEEPER then ever before in past meditations of last 2 years. And STAYED deeper for much longer.

Ok, so let's forget about meditation for a moment...that is just a small avenue.

Problem solving in the tank is amazing.

On the drive to your next float, decide in your mind that you will solve an issue or problem that you may have. Decide to focus on this ONE situation or opportunity in the tank.
So while floating, take that 1hr float to think about something you want to focus on in life....
Be it business, a specific relationship, or a situation.

You will be amazed how answers that are within you come to the surface.

Don't expect to solve a mystery of the universe...

But it can be such a small little thing that normally would not come to you. But this small thing can be VERY impactful.

So, yes, your mind will race, but just gently bring it back to your focus for that tank session.
Again, mind will race and race....but it will eventually slow down enough to reveal small subtle or large impactful truths.

Don't push your mind in the tank. Let things happen. Be more of an observer.

PROBLEM SOLVING in the tank makes the tank an amazing FASTLANE tool.

Last edited:

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
If you have a presentation in front of group, or closing argument in front of a judge, or a job interview,....have a few floats and work on it before hand.

The power of visualization coupled with the tank is very impressive.

Many lawyers have worked on and tweaked their closing arguments in the tank to give impressive results.

The angles and creativity that comes from within you is unmatched. You may not reach your full creative potential sitting at a desk in deep thought, but in the tank you may come up with ideas and angles and situations that will leave you wanting more and more floats.

The creativity aspect for writers or anyone really is awesome. Your mind has the answers. The tank will Open the gate

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Don't expect to solve a mystery of the universe...

Why not? We tend to get what we expect. ;)

Now, how long is it gonna be before one of you guys imports the portable float tents from Alibaba and gets them on Amazon?

I'm waiting... :smuggy:

***Edit***

I see them mentioned on the first page.

So maybe it's time someone built a better tent!

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
Why not? We tend to get what we expect. ;)

Now, how long is it gonna be before one of you guys imports the portable float tents from Alibaba and gets them on Amazon?

I'm waiting... :smuggy:

***Edit***

I see them mentioned on the first page.

So maybe it's time someone built a better tent!
There's definitely a market.
I live in outskirts of Toronto...city of Hamilton....and there is not a float centre here.
I just started floating about 3 months ago ....and at the Toronto location they told me that 3 centres were popping up in Hamilton this year.
I think Joe Rogan vids and his podcasts where her rants and raves about them has really caught fire and rightfully so.

If someone could retail a tent/tank for around 5-8k they would be selling bigtime.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
There's definitely a market.
I live in outskirts of Toronto...city of Hamilton....and there is not a float centre here.
I just started floating about 3 months ago ....and at the Toronto location they told me that 3 centres were popping up in Hamilton this year.
I think Joe Rogan vids and his podcasts where her rants and raves about them has really caught fire and rightfully so.

If someone could retail a tent/tank for around 5-8k they would be selling bigtime.

It could be a nice little business -- I like that it's consumable and one client stands to repeat over and over. That's a great way to build a business as opposed to "one and done" businesses.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
You can use it as a "think" tank.

If your wrestling with something in your mind, hop in the tank for clarity and uninterrupted truths.

No distractions...no outside stimuli.
Pure thought, pure darkness.

The feeling of zero gravity.

The brain is free from the distraction of gravity, free from the body. Pure thought.

Last edited:

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
It could be a nice little business -- I like that it's consumable and one client stands to repeat over and over. That's a great way to build a business as opposed to "one and done" businesses.
This is a comedy video, but they go to a guy who runs such business out of his house. Pretty cool.

Verge

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Dec 31, 2015

Check link....

I think this is an incredible fastlane tool.

I started floating about 3 months ago(at float centres) and I just purchased a float tank and use it for relaxation, problem solving and creativity.

Best 22k CAD that I've ever spent.

I can't even begin to explain the benefits.

It will change your life.

This is for athletes, for business minded people, for psychonauts.

The self improvements to me far surpasses mediation. It puts u in the theta state and keeps you there without falling asleep.

This is the state where your mind is most receptive.
Used for super learning, self improvement and many other things

They say one hour in the tank is like 5 hrs sleep.

The relaxation I can't even explain. The stress relief is incredible. This is a great tool.

Croman
Last week my back was KILLING me. I play football and run track, so probably the lifting for the both of them was the cause. It was after we (My team and I) had to squat on Friday that I decided I wanted to see a chiropractor. I just went to one of those walk in ones, and they gave me a nice adjustment but my back was right back to hurting after a couple hours. Decided to try this out, went for a full hour session and wow. Being that it was my first time and my mind was all over the place, I didn't get much of a meditation feeling from it. But, it was very very relaxing, and my back pain was completely gone. Also coming back to lifting on monday, I found that I was able to lift more than the previous session. That may just be me getting stronger, but I am going to go ahead and give some credit to the float tank. Really awesome relief! I recommend it to all of my team mates.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
My second float was uneventful. I think I fell asleep a few times and got a little herky-jerky. Kept hitting the walls and disturbing the flow. My first seemed to go a little better in terms of feeling like I left to go somewhere else.

No irritations this time however.

Will be going again next week.
:)

The Irish Guy

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 1, 2015
I dod my first float yesterday, it was interesting but honestly I prefer a hot tub. I got lucky and found a place a 2 minute walk away from me in Venice beach which is only 40 dollars for 2 hours, it's actually the place Joe Rogan used to go I believe, Float labs.

There are a few reasons I preferred my hot tub, possibly because I had so many hot tub "sessions" I'm remembering the amazing ones and forgetting the uneventful or distracting ones. They are both very similar but the main difference is just being more comfortable in a hot tub, I found the air too humid in the float tank, it was drying out my mouth when I was breathing and it didn't feel natural to breath through my nose, especially with my head back so far which was it's natural floating position. Also I kept bumping off the sides, there was a good 30 to 40 minutes spell when I was completely still but after that I didn't think I was moving and all of a sudden my head or shoulder would hit the side... Also I felt a bit cold in the water, I'm always fairly hot and it didn't perfectly match my body temperature, the fact that you're floating means a lot of your body it out of the water and when you dont move for a while you get a balance but then if you move at all parts which were out of the water are submerged and it takes a while to get that balance again...

I understand my situation was pretty unique where I had the hot tub in such a quiet place but it really was amazing and could be a way for people to get the same benefits as floating for a fraction of the price, plus its fun for entertaining.

GrayCode

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
399%
Nov 23, 2015
Yes it's pitch dark.

The lit room...That I guess is for the pics....
The lid closes.
If you have that feeling of claustrophobia I've heard of some people start with the lid open....with a light on in the room. Then they natural progress to turning off the light with the lid still open, and then Finally the lid closed.
There are many float centres that have open room float pools where it's just a float tub in a 10x10 room or something.
It's not enclosed. But you will still float in pitch dark. Always pitch dark.
This way you may not get that feeling of claustrophobia that you may be prone to at the present time in your life.

The tank is amazing for bringing down anxiety if anyone suffers from this also
Not sure if i am missing something.. What is stopping someone from falling asleep and drowning? Especially with the lid closed and no one watching?

germandude

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Jan 4, 2016
Europe
Not sure if i am missing something.. What is stopping someone from falling asleep and drowning? Especially with the lid closed and no one watching?
There is something like salt in the water that makes you float.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
I wish I could try this but the nearest one is 4 hours away, I'm tempted to start a business around it in my city. It reminds me of when I sleep and meditate with earplugs and an eye mask in, have the best relaxation and sleep and dreams, it's something I discovered accidentally when I started working nights

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
So i heard Tim Ferriss talk about this - he said it is much more effective to do 2hr dive, as it works multiple times better than 2 x 1hr dives.He also said something along the lines that 2hrs in the tank is similar result to a month of meditation

gurnays

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2016
I'm going to do a float in the next couple of weeks. I will let everyone know how it went and how I felt. Thank you for sharing!

The Irish Guy

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 1, 2015
So i heard Tim Ferriss talk about this - he said it is much more effective to do 2hr dive, as it works multiple times better than 2 x 1hr dives.He also said something along the lines that 2hrs in the tank is similar result to a month of meditation

This is one of the reasons I'm not a Tim Ferriss fan, trying to put all these complex things with so many variables into nice neat black and white boxes just doesn't work in the real world... You can't hack this sort of stuff, some of the deepest introspective states i've gotten into have been times I've been meditating for 30 mins and I did one 2 hour float where I just couldn't clear my mind at all, trying to say one is the same as a month of the other is just ridiculous.

gurnays

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Feb 19, 2016
I'm going to do a float in the next couple of weeks. I will let everyone know how it went and how I felt. Thank you for sharing!
Ok, I just did the float today. It was $60 for an hour and half. I went in there thinking I knew what to expect, but I couldn't ever get situated. I honestly wanted to get out before my time. I wasn't fulfilled with my experience. I honestly don't feel any different from the time I got in there until now. I will try floating at least three times to have a real understanding of it. Everybody says it's so great, but I didn't feel that way. Any tips for my next float?

The Irish Guy

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Aug 1, 2015
Ok, I just did the float today. It was $60 for an hour and half. I went in there thinking I knew what to expect, but I couldn't ever get situated. I honestly wanted to get out before my time. I wasn't fulfilled with my experience. I honestly don't feel any different from the time I got in there until now. I will try floating at least three times to have a real understanding of it. Everybody says it's so great, but I didn't feel that way. Any tips for my next float?

I recently did a float in Argentina and didn't have a good time, it made me realise there is a huge difference between tanks. The big idea here is to remove the physical and "outside" stimulus as much as possible, lose awareness of your body and go deep into your mind, for that you have to be completely relaxed and comfortable. The first time I floated it was in Venice beach where Joe Rogan goes and they have a state of the art tank which I got comfortable in very quickly, in Argentina the tank was probably 10 years old and didn't have a good ventilation system, the air was too hot and I couldn't relax or get comfortable at all... Floating isnt magical and it would be better if you went into it without expectations, the introspection is what might benefit you so dont get stressed or upset if it's not what you thought it was going to be because that will just make it worse.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
Ganzfeld.jpg

I keep hearing that Ganzfield experiments are like floats, has anyone done both and compared?

http://theuniversalgravitation.blogspot.com/2012/05/hallucinating-using-ping-pong-balls-and.html

Rudynate

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 3, 2016
San Francisco, CA
A long time ago, I had a membership in a subscription-based place. When I joined, the place was brand new, shiny-clean, a pleasure to go to. I think they didn't sell enough memberships to make money. Maintenance started slipping and repairs went undone and I stopped going. After a few months, I went back...the place was a complete toilet and closed soon after.

I really enjoyed floating regularly. I did it mostly to blow off steam. I was working long hours in a high-pressure management job and 90 minutes in a tank made a new person out of me. It was a great amusement, too. There's a certain amount of skill to it, as with meditation - you have to learn how let go and let whatever is going to happen happen. After I was able to do that, it got really interesting - very vivid waking dreams - outer space journeys, time travel, etc. At the time, I saw all of this as mostly an entertainment. I suspect you could somehow harness these states of mind for personal growth. I think it could be really valuable if you were to set an intention for a float session before you got in the tank and then evaluated your experience afterward in view of the intention.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
This is one of the reasons I'm not a Tim Ferriss fan, trying to put all these complex things with so many variables into nice neat black and white boxes just doesn't work in the real world... You can't hack this sort of stuff, some of the deepest introspective states i've gotten into have been times I've been meditating for 30 mins and I did one 2 hour float where I just couldn't clear my mind at all, trying to say one is the same as a month of the other is just ridiculous.

So you are basing your opinion above on one 2 hr float?

I recommend you do 3+ floats for one hour instead of a two hour float.

Read entire thread.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada

I bet the first handful of 30 min meditations you had hard time clearing your mind as well...as most all do.

croman

FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Aug 23, 2013
Steel Town Canada
So you are basing your opinion above on one 2 hr float?

I recommend you do 3+ floats for one hour instead of a two hour float.

Read entire thread.

Lol sorry,I should have read your previous 2 posts.

I understand what ur saying now with Tim ferris thing.

When I read your other post I thought that u did one 2 hr float and that's it.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I was thinking about deprivation tanks recently. Are you guys still using them? What are the long-term benefits you personally experienced, if any?

My second float was uneventful. I think I fell asleep a few times and got a little herky-jerky. Kept hitting the walls and disturbing the flow. My first seemed to go a little better in terms of feeling like I left to go somewhere else.

No irritations this time however.

Will be going again next week.
:)

Still doing it?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Still doing it?

Yes I did it a variety of times but ultimately ended up moving away from the float location.

Thanks for posting, it reminds me I have to call and find a new location!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.