The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

mobile app vs web app, question

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Maybe it generates a PDF containing the actual layout, and stores it in the cloud for a PC to print it from.

What about using a 3d printer's arm to pick up the pennies and position them automatically?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Good for you to figure out that an opportunity doesn't fit your criteria, before you put a lot of time and money into it. If you make a thread about your next venture, please let me know.
Thank you, I'll tag you in that thread aswell as loop101 and littlewolfie if they're interested.

You guys saved me alot of time and effort from going down the drain.

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
What about using a 3d printer's arm to pick up the pennies and position them automatically?

They already have rubber sheets to hold the pennies in place.

91yKrQqV-cL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:

loop101

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Mar 3, 2013
If you can figure that out, you'll definitely a billionaire, because multiple billion dollar companies have tried and failed. Nobody has been able to come up with a better way to sell top-priced phones and apps to loyal, enthusiastic buyers than Apple, and nobody has been able to figure how to have their app store on a wider range of phones at all price points than Google. For people who want to have one-click distribution and auto-updates to this duopoly, it's necessary to go through the two gatekeepers. If you're that someone who can make that solution, you'll be very, very rich.

That is the allure of mobile-first Progressive-Web-Apps, especially with the new Payment API. Microsoft is pushing PWA's hard, since their App Store is completely dead. PWA's are not good for CPU intensive things like the video I was talking about earlier, though maybe I could use WebGL instead.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
For people it's necessary to go through the two gatekeepers. If you're that someone who can make that solution, you'll be very, very rich.

That is the allure of mobile-first Progressive-Web-Apps,
Yup, also installable web apps, hybrid wrapper apps,

Hell uber only went to a native app last year, prior to that the app just pointed you to m.uber.com. So when your a billion dollar company, worry about it then.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
They can't be scaled to billions anyway which is what I want and I don't have control which is the most important thing.
Tell that to Tencent and their subsidiaries whose apps released on the stores make tens of millions every day.

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
Tell that to Tencent and their subsidiaries whose apps released on the stores make tens of millions every day.
You're missing the point, mobile apps are probably not even 10% of what they do.

Also, tell me one person who became a billionaire just from one mobile app.

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
You're missing the point, mobile apps are probably not even 10% of what they do.

Another falsely quoted one is angry birds,.they make most of their money through merchandise. Their more like Disney with an app than an app company. Sure they male €26 million or so out of the popularity of apps(their not billionaires though)

If apps made that kind of money alone, a lot more app developers would be rich.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 16, 2018
Before you can evaluate the benefits of a mobile website vs. an app it’s important to understand the key differences between the two. Both apps and mobile websites are accessed on a handheld devices such as smartphones (e.g. iPhone, Android and Blackberry) and tablets.

Like any website, mobile websites/responsive sites can display text content, data, images and video. They can also access mobile-specific features such as click-to-call (to dial a phone number) or location-based mapping.

Apps are actual applications that are downloaded and installed on your mobile device, rather than being rendered within a browser. Users visit device-specific portals such as Apple’s App Store, Android Market, or Blackberry App World in order to find and download apps for a given operating system. The app may pull content and data from the Internet, in similar fashion to a website, or it may download the content so that it can be accessed without an Internet connection.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015

Also, tell me one person who became a billionaire just from one mobile app.
A 10% worth several billions a year...

Clash Royale alone is estimated to make 5 million every day with microtransactions.

And can't you make more apps and make more money combined?

Another falsely quoted one is angry birds,.they make most of their money through merchandise. Their more like Disney with an app than an app company. Sure they male €26 million or so out of the popularity of apps(their not billionaires though)

If apps made that kind of money alone, a lot more app developers would be rich.

There're literally tens of thousands of rich app devs.

And Rovio built their franchise out of having their games on the app stores, in your words, while having no control.

Seriously you just gave me 2 examples of companies who scaled their businesses to billions from the app stores!

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
There're literally tens of thousands of rich app devs.

Who built apps for cash. The fastlane version is probably bubble, the app for building apps.

If apps were such good money makers, there would be a lot more build your apps for % or equity developers.

Rovio are developers,publishers distrubutors, tv channel owners and IP licensors. Look round a marketplace, every angry birds handbag, backpack, t-shirt is money to them.

Last time I read anything (a few years ago) they considered themselves an entertainment company(like Disney) because the bulk of their revenue come from non app focused revenue.

I will try and make my point clearer,

They never seem to get there from just building apps unless they are building apps for other people (app devs are shovels, designing and selling apps are the goldmine) if you think you can mine gold, go for getting your app our there. I'd rather go for the shovels.

Also note the control on my applies to IPhone, since Android does allow for unauthorised apps via debugging mode (In fact that was a major point of the idea in the first place).

Rovio had total control over the IP and image rights, they used the app sales and the cash from building apps for others to promote theirs and set up licensing deals with merchandise companies. There's a lot of licensing deal info on this forum,that's fastlane.

You could say the company has a very successful ENTS business (app) and a CENTS one(merchandising) that needs the popularity created by the second one, just like Disney

Drawing animation cells of Mickey Mouse doesn't scale, but licensing his picture sure does.

Last edited:

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Who built apps for cash. The fastlane version is probably bubble, the app for building apps.

If apps were such good money makers, there would be a lot more build your apps for % or equity developers.

Rovio are developers,publishers distrubutors, tv channel owners and IP licensors. Look round a marketplace, every angry birds handbag, backpack, t-shirt is money to them.

Last time I read anything (a few years ago) they considered themselves an entertainment company(like Disney) because the bulk of their revenue come from non app focused revenue.

They never seem to get there from just building apps unless they are building apps for other people (app devs are shovels, designing and selling apps are the goldmine) if you think you can mine gold, go for getting your app our there. I'd rather go for the shovels.

Also note the control on my applies to IPhone, since Android does allow for unauthorised apps via debugging mode (In fact that was a major point of the idea in the first place).

Rovio had total control over the IP and image rights, they used the app sales and the cash from building apps for others to promote theirs and set up licensing deals with merchandise companies. There's a lot of licensing deal info on this forum,that's fastlane.

You could say the company has a very successful ENTS business (app) and a CENTS one(merchandising) that needs the popularity created by the second one, just like Disney

Drawing animation cells of Mickey Mouse doesn't scale, but licensing his picture sure does.
The point was, can apps be Fastlane? And the answer was yes, you're overcomplicating things.

You control your product and no one is stopping you from selling it the indie way on a website. The thing is if I can reach more people and make more money through app stores I'll choose that and many developers do it too and when they have a sounding success they leverage it outside the stores.

Let me put it this way, suppose my company has 2 games and a non-gaming app on Google Play, Apple Store and Amazon and they make me 100k a month in revenue.

I read "The millionaire fastlane " and think (mistakenly) that because I don't have control of the platform I'm doing things wrong even though I'm making a fortune.

What do I do now to "have control", I remove my money making sources from the stores and give up my income?

OK, I put the apps on my site and figure out a way to attract traffic. Do I have control now? What about the hosting company? What about the broadband companies? What if some devices are not compatible? What if you're banned in some countries or your IP gets blacklisted? What do I do now, do I create a hosting company a communication company, an app store and manufacture my own devices? OK let's do it.

Still I won't have 100% control because businesses depends on other businesses and their services and sh*t can happen.

And what about my employees? Do I fired them all too and I do their job so I make sure that things are kept under my control?

So I'll repeat: yes, apps can be scaled to billions, yes, you keep the control of your IP and 2 examples of this were listed.

If you're so worried about control that you won't do anything unless you have 100% of it then you won't even start because there is no such thing as 100% control.

The commandment of Control isn't LITERALLY about controlling everything.

If by conceding some control I can make 10 times more money and have an audience 100 times bigger I'm fine with that.

Some people won't and that's OK.

Edit: Disney have dozens of apps published on the stores and sell merchandising on different places that don't have any control of. Their movies are released on thousands of theatres worldwide that they don't own.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn
The point was, can apps be Fastlane?

My answer is that it depends. "Apps" is too broad a category, you need to be more specific in order to get a good answer.

Can computers be fastlane? Can a computer shop be fastlane? Well am I working on them as an employee, selling them in a shop as self employed doing all the work myself, or a shop with employees relying on ebay or am I licensing a brand name to a manufacturer and retailers?

Can things that violate CENTS be fastlane? If so, then yes . If not, then my answer is native Iphone apps can't but the rest can if set up correctly. I think Demarco said one can be violated in the book.

Let me put it this way, my company has 2 games and a non-gaming app on Google Play, Apple Store and Amazon and they make me 100k a month in revenue.

I read "The millionaire fastlane " and think (mistakenly) that because I don't have control of the platform I'm doing things wrong even though I'm making a fortune.

If by conceding some control I can make 10 times more money and have an audience 100 times bigger I'm fine with that.

I think your misreading the book. The amount you make has nothing to do with if it is fastlane or not . That does not mean your doing it wrong, as you say you have chosen to make 10 times more money and have a 100 times larger audience than having a fastlane business and your fine with that Great! It's more for people whom think they are but their not.

OK, I put the apps on my site and figure out a way to attract traffic. Do I have control now? What about the hosting company? What about the broadband companies? What if some devices are not compatible? What if you're banned in some countries or your IP gets blacklisted?

Much more control, you can have multiple independent hosting companies mirroring each other, register with multiple DNS. The broadband companies will only be able to impact a few customers as will country limitations. People will use VPS and proxies to access if that their bothered If your IP gets blacklisted well you can just buy another one (why not have 10?). The internet is built to handle exactly those kind of problems, that is why china has such a hard time controlling it despite the great firewall.

You have gained a bit of control by being in Amazon as well as being both Iphone and Android versions. If apple kick you off tomorrow how much will you make? That shows a real financial value to control in my opinion.

The point was, can apps be Fastlane? And the answer was yes, you're overcomplicating things.

I remove my money making sources from the stores and give up my income?

No, find more channels (Can you license your IP you control to say t-shirt manufacturers?

And what about my employees? Do I fired them all too and I do their job so I make sure that things are kept under my control?

The commandment of Control isn't LITERALLY about controlling everything.

Edit: Disney have dozens of apps published on the stores and sell merchandising on different places that don't have any control of. Their movies are released on thousands of theatres worldwide that they don't own.

That's why employees and Disney are okay it is not literally direct control of everything. All of those theatres have an IP license with Disney, control isn't the same as ownership. If you think you it doesn't matter start up a cinema that shows Disney films without an IP license. I look forward to your Cease & Desist letter (That is a form of control)

Late Bloomer

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Apr 17, 2018
Before you can evaluate the benefits of a mobile website vs. an app it’s important to understand the key differences between the two.

Another useful distinction is the difference between an original article, such as the one quoted in the above post that was written by Jason Summerfield of Human Services Solutions and posted on their web site at Mobile Website vs. Mobile App (Application) – Which is Best for Your Organization? , and on the other hand, random plagiarism posted under a false name. What an intriguing contrast. Which is best for your business forum participation?

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Some random sidewalker: "What? If I work 8 hours a day in that place I'll only make 1500$ per month? F*** it I'm too good for that! Even though I'm currently making 0$ and live on my mom's basement..."

An aspiring wantrepeneur
: "What? My app will only make an estimation of 100$ million a year? F*** it I won't do s**t unless I earn 3 gazillion per hour, I'm too good for that! Even though I currently have 0 income, no assets, offer no value to the marketplace and am taking zero action..."

Different contexts, same behaviours, same result.

Last edited:

LittleWolfie

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Jun 28, 2018
Holbeach Hurn

Brewmacker

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Jun 17, 2019
The Netherlands

Hey Little Wolfie

Thanks for the input mate.

Really interesting post here btw. Thanks everyone for the tips and feedback. Really educational.

Although I do not know idea about app generation and income, I can understand your point of view. As I am aiming to go in the same direction (web based/ app) I can see the flaw of this concept being fast lane, without a further strategy after the product is established.

I have a whole section in my (long term end of) my execution plan for merchandise. It is more now a folder to throw in ideas that pop into my head. Your point on licensing merchandise is a very valid one and I have no idea to tie that into my concept.
You have planted a seed now and the ideas i am sure, will come when taking a piss break. Thanks for the advice.

Where i can agree with you that releasing an App may not be “fast lane”, I am not going to rule it out totally.
If an app is generating 1.2 million a year, that is 120,000 per month to start the next project or maybe a number of projects if a small team is hired. Shit if the product generates 10000 a month I’m free to quit my job and that is only step 1. For a start up it is not a huge investment to kick off with and there is minimal risk.

The “fast lane” at least to me is one big process which must be scalable as a whole. This will require a scalable process, not just a scalable product. Every product reaches a point where it is going to taper off. The ‘process’ will require diversity and a dynamic approach. Like angry birds did.
My point is, and possibly it’s what you are saying, is an app/website not fast lane when it’s the start of the process and to greater things?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.